Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    what size did oyu get? I went through similar thoughts previously as the geo wasn't exactly what I was after. I since realised though that I run an 80mm fork, which would pretty much put everything where I wanted it regarding HT angle and BB height. I think you'll be fine. I'm sure that I'd prefer it with an 80mm. IMO the older geo is almost like an 80mm frame they just stuck a 100mm fork on. There was a review somewhere that said it rode better with a 80mm as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Lynskey Pro 29

The size is a large which is comparable to other bikes I have bought in the past, Ill give the 100mm travel some saddle time, If it doesnt work out changing the spacers on a Reba is a 10 minute process.....

mtbr member
    I also have the large and I've set my Reba for 90 and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in regards to head tube height. And I also have the same 20mm spacer between my stem and headset that I had on my Stumpy 29er HT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy

And a pic...
    Looks good Mark!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Lets ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by surlywhore
    Looks like the Ti El Mariachi with a bigger head tube, and cheaper!
    Agree looks just like my bike!
    11 Ellsworth Evolve still in box
    10 Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    96 Kona Hei Hei Ti

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Lynskey pics

I finally figured it out, here is a pic of the new ride, have to wait until Christmas to ride, wifes rules, Since she bought the frame ill have to listen just this once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '11 Lynskey 29er Prototype-lynskey-2.jpg  

Linoleum Knife
    Sweet! I really wanted the twisty tubes, but couldn't justify the extra cost..

To drop the front, you can ditch the spacers, flip the stem over, or go buy a flat bar. I prefer to have a 0-2" drop saddle to bars, and yeah - the front does tend to be high.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Lynskey

Turns out I have a friend who owns a shop and got a sweet, and I mean sweet deal on this frame, Did you see the Lynskey loft yesterday? Pro 29r, Chris King Headset and Carbon fork for like $1399? Anyway, I took a walk on the wild side and pulled my Rebas apart, this morning, Turns out they were set up for 120mm travel, No wonder the front end was in the clouds, Now with 1 spacer the 100mm travel feels much nicer, I have the extra spacer and may try 80mm...,Peace Krack

It's carbon dontcha know.
    lol @ 120mm on the front. Glad you found your problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have mental problems. I bought one of these frames too (medium) and started part shopping. My thought was to go middle of the road since I got a smoking deal on the frame and thought it would make for a solid bike at a great price. The next thing I know I am putting together XX 2x10 parts, with a tapered XX fork 20mm thru, chris king/stans flows...etc. The wife will not be happy when the Visa bill shows. In all fairness, I did find some killer deals on parts.

The thing is, once I got the frame in my hands, I fell in love. The oversized ti tubing is gnar. I know some like the twisted tubes and I am sure they are great, but not for me. Too funky. But this oversized stuff is killer in my book. Too each his own I suspect. Anyway, I will be putting together soon. One thing, when I bought frame, Lynskey told me that I needed a 31.6 seatpost... Nope 27.2, so off my new post goes for exchange.

I'll post some pics when finished
    Last edited by Ribz; 12-30-2010 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I just had to post up a report now that I've gotten several good rides in over the holidays. Yesterday evening I rode a familiar stretch of singletrack that I love. It was very muddy and much wetter than normal since we've had some significant snow run-off here lately. I've averaged about 8-8.5 mph on the same trail, with much drier weather, on my 2010 Stumpjumper. I averaged 10.2 yesterday - even with mud and clay caked all over my Ravens for most of the ride - and I could have gone faster.

Even though my Stumpy climbs well, I never felt confident during hard, out-of-the-saddle climbs. It just felt slightly twitchy and made me feel like I was having to work too hard to keep it tracking comfortably. But I stood up and pushed hard on several climbs yesterday and it was much more effortless than I ever imagined it could be. This is also after putting on an extra 7-8lbs recently due to several holiday feast (hey, i like to eat). So I'm extremely pleased with how responsive it is!

But the most notable thing about this frame is how comfortable it is for me. On my Stumpy (aluminum) I would feel fatigued in my lower back towards the end of these same sessions. At my age (48) I just thought that the fatigue was normal during hard rides. But I never experienced that at all yesterday, which amazed me even more than how well it climbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribz
    The oversized ti tubing is gnar.
    Yup, size matters.

Currently sits at 22.5lb, but there's still changes to be made, new XTR pedals are in the xmas post somewhere, cut the steerer, work on the fit, possible change in bars and to a layback post. It's also likely to gain front suspension after the winter.

Last edited by 6thElement; 01-28-2011 at 06:11 AM.

mtbr member

yeah, i know. red and blue. blah, blah, blah.

rinsed it down and put it on the stand for a few tweaks.

mtbr member
    Looks like they finally delt a little with the front-end stiffness issue on the Ridgeline and Pro29. I've owned both and still have one of the 1st version Ridgeline's with the straight downtube. The Pro29 was a wet noodle and I sold it fast. The Ridgeline was much better, but still more noodle-ish compared to other 29ers I've had in the past 7 years.

The oversized headtube and 73mm BB allows for a larger joint and I am guessing the tubeset O.D. is a tad bigger than my older model. That has to go a ways to twisting issues. The aluminium insert in the headtube also addresses some reports from others in regards to headset installation. I know a LBS that had issues using cheaper headsets in Lynskey frames because of the tight tolerances. The insert is softer, so I have to think that will give some additional tolerance leeway.

Good changes...

mtbr member

snow day!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    It's much prettier than the "pretzel" frame by far. Wish that they'd do an EBB or a swinging type rear end as their sliders are even uglier than most.

Sadly, I think that the best work that Lynskey does is actually on the bikes that they build for other companies.

mtbr member

2011 Pro

I love mine!
    Name:  DSCnew01575.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  132.2 KB

Lets ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbyyou
    I love mine!
    Name:  DSCnew01575.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  132.2 KB
    well you must like purple
    11 Ellsworth Evolve still in box
    10 Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    96 Kona Hei Hei Ti

Except that's not the Prototype frame this thread was started for

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Except that's not the Prototype frame this thread was started for
    Is your rigid fork the same length as a 100MM fork? I have in my possion a rigid fork that is the equivalent of a 80mm fork and before I get off my ass and build up with said fork I was wondering what your thoughts were.

No, it's 468a-c, so the same as a sagged 80mm, which are 488a-c unsagged. With all the snow I've only managed a couple of quick rides around the city so far.

mtbr member
    I'm bumping this thread b/c I HATE it! They finally get the perfect frame and only make a limited run in medium. If one of the 5 people that got a medium want to sell, send me PM. Hopefully Lynskey will make more of these in the current price point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    fyi, i called them last week and they said the next batch will not have the alu sleeves. Can't remember his name but he said they ordered straight head tubes which is something new. Sorry for not remembering better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bob
    fyi, i called them last week and they said the next batch will not have the alu sleeves. Can't remember his name but he said they ordered straight head tubes which is something new. Sorry for not remembering better.
    Did they say when they'll be ready?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I didn't ask them when they would be avail. I actually called them to ask about frames that they make for a diff co, not so much the Lynskey.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast