Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    The bottom bracket drop on my Stumpy is exactly 2.25", the same as the Lynskey proto. All of the other dims are so close that they're essentially irrelevant to me in this case. And since my *only* complaint about my Stumpy is that it's slightly too harsh of a ride in the rear triangle, the additional 3/8" on the chain stays will be tested enthusiastically just as soon as my beautiful wife realizes what she just bought me for Christmas. (so ssshhh... i'm gonna surprise her)

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    The BB drop on the prototype is lower than the BB drop on the production model
    Keep in mind that the prototype has fixed dropouts, and the production has sliders. BB Drop will be somewhat variable on the production model... probably within that extra 1/4 inch.

Given a ~12.5" BB height, minus ~7" of crank arm, I don't think that 5-6" of clearance is overdoing it by any means... but to each his own.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'd been looking at this frame along with a few others long before this thread popped up. I bought myself one

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I'd been looking at this frame along with a few others long before this thread popped up. I bought myself one
    You and a few other people apparently. SOLD OUT.

Mine shows up tomorrow.... still need a few parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Keep in mind that the prototype has fixed dropouts, and the production has sliders. BB Drop will be somewhat variable on the production model... probably within that extra 1/4 inch.

Given a ~12.5" BB height, minus ~7" of crank arm, I don't think that 5-6" of clearance is overdoing it by any means... but to each his own.
    It's not about the clearance, it's about the relationship of the bb to the axles, and how affects handling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phillabong
    The bottom bracket drop on my Stumpy is exactly 2.25", the same as the Lynskey proto. All of the other dims are so close that they're essentially irrelevant to me in this case. And since my *only* complaint about my Stumpy is that it's slightly too harsh of a ride in the rear triangle, the additional 3/8" on the chain stays will be tested enthusiastically just as soon as my beautiful wife realizes what she just bought me for Christmas. (so ssshhh... i'm gonna surprise her)
    Did you measure the BB drop, or are you extrapolating from your BB height? I'm only asking 'cause the Specialized 29er HTs have a fairly large BB drop, much greater than the 2.25"/5.717cm listed for the Lynskey prototype. I had a Specialized Expert 29er and it had more like 6.5cm of BB drop. And, yes, I had to deal w/ pedal strikes, but it was very stable at high speed.

mtbr member
    You and a few other people apparently. SOLD OUT.

Mine shows up tomorrow.... still need a few parts.
    Mark,
    I've been riding a 2010 this summer as a SS and converted to 1X10 for winter riding.
    I'm quite happy with the frame.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Did you measure the BB drop, or are you extrapolating from your BB height? I'm only asking 'cause the Specialized 29er HTs have a fairly large BB drop, much greater than the 2.25"/5.717cm listed for the Lynskey prototype. I had a Specialized Expert 29er and it had more like 6.5cm of BB drop. And, yes, I had to deal w/ pedal strikes, but it was very stable at high speed.
    Yup, I measured it. Twice. Once earlier today when I was curious and again, just a moment ago, to verify. It measures *exactly* 2.3125" or 5.874cm. I was more careful this second time and found that it was 1/6" longer than I had originally measured earlier today, pre-ride, when I was in a hurry and kinda eyeballed it.

And yes, I measured it by emperically determining the distance that the bottom bracket centerline is below the centerline between both wheel axles. Put it up on my stand, flipped it upside down and everything.

But enough of those janky numbers. Santa's coming early this year and I think I have everything ready for my build except for a bottom pull front derailleur and maybe the right diameter seat post.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Mark,
    I've been riding a 2010 this summer as a SS and converted to 1X10 for winter riding.
    I'm quite happy with the frame.
    Good to hear. I haven't really decided where this is going to fit into my lineup. It's going to start out 1x9 rigid - mainly because I have most of the parts I need already...

Eff.... is winter over yet?

Large frame weighs 1800g. But uses a 27.2 seatpost, so the 31.6 Lynskey post which is about to be delivered won't fit, which is completely my fault

Linoleum Knife
    Large frame weighs 1800g. But uses a 27.2 seatpost, so the 31.6 Lynskey post which is about to be delivered won't fit
    Yep - about 1700g for the Medium. Now to wait for the "included" headset to show up...

mtbr member
    Santa arrived in his big brown truck yesterday! Here's a pic of the frame - in a Large - and a shot down the creaky head tube.

mtbr member
    looks pretty good. post a few finished pics once you talk santa into building it up, and let us know if that headtube sleeve works with the headset.

no fork? thought it came with one...
    GET IT DIRTY

I'm still accumulating parts for mine. It comes with the white Lynskey fork, phillabong already has his up for sale as he's not using it. I think mine will probably be too as I've just got home to a new tapered reba for it

mtbr member
    I have to pick up the last remaining item tomorrow - X0 rear derailleur - and I'll be in business. I've already started breaking down my Stumpy for some of the components that I'm swapping over. I'll think I'll just part out the frame and other stuff I won't need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's not about the clearance, it's about the relationship of the bb to the axles, and how affects handling.
    Not that I'm arguing your point about the bb position relative to the axles affecting bike handling, but to some extent your perception of this is going to be impacted by the trails that you are riding. Our local trails tend to be slower with lots of rock gardens, and the low bottom bracket heights that are favored with a lot of the 29er frames are less than ideal for this type of riding because pedal strikes really do become a prominent factor - much more so for me than how the bike handles at speed. Not that I'm buying this frame, but I actually view the higher bottom bracket as a favorable thing.

Linoleum Knife
    Got mine built up, and took it on it's maiden voyage yesterday.

1x9, fully rigid. WTB Exiwolf 2.3 f/r

I love the geometry. It handles perfectly for me. My drivetrain requires a little more attention, but everything else is dead on. I could rail that sucker around corners like nobodies business.

Plenty of space for the 2.3 Exiwolf in the rear. About 3/4" on either side.

Not a huge fan of a fully rigid bike. It was sweet for about 70% of the riding, but that other 30% had me hurting pretty bad at the end of 3 hours. It's not the 18" drops that'll hurt you - it's the baby heads and chudder-bumps. Stuff you think you should be able to hold speed through...

Oh - and for the record - they've updated the 2011 specs for a 27.2 on the Pro and Ridgeline.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Oh - and for the record - they've updated the 2011 specs for a 27.2 on the Pro and Ridgeline.
    Bonus! I was hoping they'd go to 27.2. I've been wanting to run an eriksen layback post on the 2011 and didn't want to deal with shims. Sounds like it'll be awhile before Lynskey starts making layback posts unfortunately.

mtbr member
    I'm still accumulating parts for mine. It comes with the white Lynskey fork, phillabong already has his up for sale as he's not using it. I think mine will probably be too as I've just got home to a new tapered reba for it
    I gave you a sneak peak of mine- yours?

Linoleum Knife

And a pic...

mtbr member
    Man, that build looks nice! Thanks for posting a pic. I need to get off my butt and take pics of mine built up. Too busy just trying to squeeze in some rides.

I've already unloaded that rigid fork and put my Reba SL on instead. Set it up 2x9 got a few rides in now trying to get it dialed in. On my first ride on some private trails in subfreezing temps, I tried two steep climbs that have given me some degree of difficulty (on my stumpy) in the past. I always make 'em but it's just not always pretty. This bike was butter smooth on both climbs. Every time. I was actually very surprised because even though this build is around 23.5 lbs., it just kinda "felt" heavier than my stumpy. I hope to get a few more rides in between now and Christmas and I'll be back.

Also, did anyone make a record of the geo on this frame? The link with that info (first post of this thread) is no longer available and I forgot to save it.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by phillabong
    Also, did anyone make a record of the geo on this frame? The link with that info (first post of this thread) is no longer available and I forgot to save it.

Mine didn't feel heavy at all on the climbs... in fact - acceleration / climbing wise, it's very similar to most of my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Mine didn't feel heavy at all on the climbs... in fact - acceleration / climbing wise, it's very similar to most of my other bikes.
    To clarify, it didn't feel heavier on the climbs. My point was more that it climbed much better - much smoother - than I anticipated. It climbed much better than my comparably equipped 2010 Stumpy HT.

As for it feeling slightly less responsive than my Stumpy, I noticed that more on some really tight singletrack. But this Lynskey does have a slightly more relaxed head tube and seat tube angle (by 0.5 degrees), as well as slightly longer chain stays (by 0.375") than my Stumpy. And to be fair about it I was really bundled up because it was *so* cold that day. Maybe that was why it "felt" heavier.

I'm not at all displeased with it. In fact, given the above parameters, what I noticed probably makes sense.

Linoleum Knife
    Sorry - misread last night.

Mine isn't too exciting of a build - pretty much just an LX gruppo I had laying around. The wheels are off-the-shelf XT MT75. It's more of an experiment to see if I even really dig the whole 29er thing With the frugal kit and heavier 2.3s, it's right in at 23.8 lbs.

So far, so good - but in this particular incarnation, I was a little disappointed that I didn't notice the two primary things I always hear about 26vs 29. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't notice a single bit of "decreased acceleration due to the increased rotational mass of the wheels"
    On the other hand, I didn't notice being able to magically float over rocks and logs the way most people claim.

I think the most impressive thing I DID notice was the cornering ability. It might not be 100% as agile through the super tight, techy stuff - but the way the bigger wheels hold a line on the mellower, high-desert fast flowy stuff (a 'la 18rd, Phil's World) was a semi-religious experience.

Definitely post up some pics!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2010 Pro 29 fork set up

Guys, Newbie here, Ill try to load my pictures of the new 2010 Pro 29r , In the meantime...One beef I do have is that the front end is really high compared to my Kona, granted the 100mm fork with 2.25 Racing ralphs adds a little more height versus the 80mm Maxxis setup, But my test rides just feel funny, allmost like riding RM250R, How does the bike ride set up with 80mm? My Lynskey dealer swore the geometry was all based on 100mm.....Thanks, Look forward to your replies......
    Last edited by kracko; 12-20-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast