Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

100mm vs 120mm Fork?

Im posting this in the 29er forum because Im looking for specific advice on 120mm vs 100mm on your 29er's

I recently upgraded to a Reba SL and have only ran 100mm travel on my Canzo. Im trying to decide if I should set it up for 120mm, but im a little concerned about loosing climbing ability.

How much travel are you running on your 29er?
    Last edited by Ace5high; 09-04-2011 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Put it on and ride it. Who knows what you like.
    Do you want me to decide what you have for lunch today as well.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Put it on and ride it. Who knows what you like.
    Do you want me to decide what you have for lunch today as well.
    Your incredibly helpful.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    the difference will be roughly 20mm.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    the difference will be roughly 20mm.
    Having a bad day huh?

banned

tinker with it.

just over 3/4" difference. try both and see which you prefer better. part of the fun of mtn biking is tinkering with them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Im posting this in the 29er forum because Im looking for specific advice on 120mm vs 100mm on your 29er's

I recently upgraded to a Reba SL and have only ran 100mm travel on my Canzo. Im trying to decide if I should set it up for 120mm, but im a little concerned about loosing climbing ability.

How much travel are you running on your 29er?
    I use zero, 80mm and 100mm travel forks on my 29ers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    just over 3/4" difference. try both and see which you prefer better. part of the fun of mtn biking is tinkering with them.
    Yeah It is fun, if I didnt just take the fork apart to go from 80mm to 100mm Id prob just do the change over but it is a messy job that takes time.

I know there are some guys with Canzo's in here so was hoping to get some feedback about running 120mm on this or something similar.

mtbr member
    I have run 80, 100 and 120 mm forks on my 29er. Not much difference (to me, anyway) between 80 and 100. 120 slackened the angles out a little - much more stable downhill. Was still able to climb easily though.

Just give the 100 mm a shot, now that you have adjusted it. If you do not like it, change it then.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I have run 80, 100 and 120 mm forks on my 29er. Not much difference (to me, anyway) between 80 and 100. 120 slackened the angles out a little - much more stable downhill. Was still able to climb easily though.

Just give the 100 mm a shot, now that you have adjusted it. If you do not like it, change it then.
    Its always been setup for 100mm and its fine, but as many know the Canzo is not exactly a slack HT angle so my thinking is the 120mm might dial in the steering a little nicer However the Canzo was designed for 100mm fork...

mtbr member
    Then why not give it a shot? Sure, it is a little messy to do, but not a lot of work. And if you are curious about it, then it is more than likely well worth doing....just my 2c.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    The real question is:

Is anyone running 120mm on their 29? and happy with it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ace5high View Post
    the real question is:

Is anyone running 120mm on their 29? And happy with it?
    yes

Former Bike Wrench
    Looking at the Canzo geometry, it runs a relatively steep (but fairly normal for XC 29er) 72 degree headtube angle with the fork set at 100mm. The geometry table says that it will be .75 degree less with the fork at 120mm. This is still a fairly steep 71.25 degree angle which I think would climb just fine. My Stumpjumper uses a 130mm travel fork with a 69.5 degree headtube angle and I was a little concerned about its climbing ability. But it climbs just fine with those numbers. Of course there are other factors involved here but I wouldn't be afraid to give it a shot assuming your Reba can be set at 120mm (not all can).

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Looking at the Canzo geometry, it runs a relatively steep (but fairly normal for XC 29er) 72 degree headtube angle with the fork set at 100mm. The geometry table says that it will be .75 degree less with the fork at 120mm. This is still a fairly steep 71.25 degree angle which I think would climb just fine. My Stumpjumper uses a 130mm travel fork with a 69.5 degree headtube angle and I was a little concerned about its climbing ability. But it climbs just fine with those numbers. Of course there are other factors involved here but I wouldn't be afraid to give it a shot assuming your Reba can be set at 120mm (not all can).
    Always Very helpful input Mtnbiker, thanks!

I actually did the quick swap by pulling out the last spacer and got it together just quick enough to get a good ride in on a "climb'y" trail.

I actually really love it at 120mm! I definitely could tell a large difference, I felt more set back in the saddle kinda like tilting your car seat back

The down hills felt more controllable and I felt Like I was sitting just far enough back that I had a better chance of rolling down the steeps without the worry of going over the bar.

There are a few obstacles (down trees) that I normally clip my bash guard on that today I cleared them without contact.

Now the most surprising part was the climbs did not get harder at all, in fact I cleared them easier because the front end did not feel as twitchy as it normally would going up. The feeling of being back in the saddle more actually felt like it helped me to get some more traction too.

Im very impressed with how well this worked for a Frame thats designed to run at 100mm and Im definitely leaving like this for a while

trail rat
    Changing from 100 to 120 on my 2007 Canzo increased it's fun and ride ability by about 20%, it was great.

Changing from 100 to 120 on my 2009 Canzo decreased the abilities of the bike by 50%, it sucked, sucked, sucked. Did I mention it sucked? It really, really, really sucked. Sucked bad. Sucked really bad. I did not like it.

The differences in bike geometry, personal body proportions, riding style, personal preference all are considerations. What works for YOU depends on so many factors. Bottom line, YOU have to try and decide for YOURSELF. Good luck on lunch.................
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member

120mm canzo

I run a 95 - 120mm TALAS on my 2011 Canzo.

I prefer the 120mm setting for everything except steep climbs, when I'll drop it down.

The 120mm fork makes the Canzo a lot more fun, and it still climbs fine.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Changing from 100 to 120 on my 2007 Canzo increased it's fun and ride ability by about 20%, it was great.

Changing from 100 to 120 on my 2009 Canzo decreased the abilities of the bike by 50%, it sucked, sucked, sucked. Did I mention it sucked? It really, really, really sucked. Sucked bad. Sucked really bad. I did not like it.

The differences in bike geometry, personal body proportions, riding style, personal preference all are considerations. What works for YOU depends on so many factors. Bottom line, YOU have to try and decide for YOURSELF. Good luck on lunch.................
    Interesting that the 20mm increase would throw it off so badly, BUT is it possible that you already were not liking the Geo to begin with on the 2009 and the 120mm increase just added to your dissatisfaction on the newer Canzo?

BTW what was your resolve? Do you still ride the 2009 or did you ever get a smaller size to replace it?

trail rat
    Interesting that the 20mm increase would throw it off so badly, BUT is it possible that you already were not liking the Geo to begin with on the 2009 and the 120mm increase just added to your dissatisfaction on the newer Canzo?

BTW what was your resolve? Do you still ride the 2009 or did you ever get a smaller size to replace it?
    You got it right, the geo changes on the 2009 did not work for me, and the longer fork made the climbing worse, but it was horrible for my long legs/arms and short torso. Even the 100 is a huge struggle to keep the front on the ground and tracking on steep climbs.

All those parts are on a hard tail and the Canzo is hanging in the garage. I'm not entirely certain what to do at this point. Maybe a custom tuned shock from Push would resolve it, maybe a medium, maybe a different FS frame, or maybe the hard tail solves it, since I get no rear suspension squat now.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    You got it right, the geo changes on the 2009 did not work for me, and the longer fork made the climbing worse, but it was horrible for my long legs/arms and short torso. Even the 100 is a huge struggle to keep the front on the ground and tracking on steep climbs.

All those parts are on a hard tail and the Canzo is hanging in the garage. I'm not entirely certain what to do at this point. Maybe a custom tuned shock from Push would resolve it, maybe a medium, maybe a different FS frame, or maybe the hard tail solves it, since I get no rear suspension squat now.
    Well, coming from a 29" HT and swapping over to the 2011 Canzo, there was no area where I didn't see a huge improvement. Cornering, climbing, descending, comfort, fun everything you can think of. I did notice a tiny bit of petal bob but the RT3 has a pretty good platform setting that takes care of it.

Sounds to me like the updated Canzo may just not the right frame for you, If it were me Id sell the frame and build one that works better for you... My 2 pennies

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone running the Reba at 120mm with the QR drop outs and 1-1/8 straight steerer? My Reba is currently as 100mm. Want to set it up for 120 but seems like I
    Might have issues with flex?

trail rat
    Well, coming from a 29" HT and swapping over to the 2011 Canzo, there was no area where I didn't see a huge improvement. Cornering, climbing, descending, comfort, fun everything you can think of. I did notice a tiny bit of petal bob but the RT3 has a pretty good platform setting that takes care of it.

Sounds to me like the updated Canzo may just not the right frame for you, If it were me Id sell the frame and build one that works better for you... My 2 pennies
    I just want my 2007 green back. I loved that bike!

It took me on many great rides.

CCCMB web - Facebook

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Anyone running the Reba at 120mm with the QR drop outs and 1-1/8 straight steerer? My Reba is currently as 100mm. Want to set it up for 120 but seems like I
    This is how Im currently setup and I love it, dont feel any flex issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    No issues either. If you do notice, you could always run a DTSwiss RWS thru bolt.

mtbr member
    Just replaced the Radion 100mm fork on my Talon with a 44 @ 120mm, the extra travel is nice but made the front end nervous, to lower the front end put the stem on negative and is all good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast