mtbr member
    Jul 2005

09 Sultan or 2011 Leviathan 4.0

I have a chance to get either of these new. I race mostly endurance races and want to go full suspension from my Superfly. Living in Wisconsin there are no really big downhills or huge climbs, i just want to go full suspension to save my back a little over the long run. These bikes are not available in my state to test ride.

09 Sultan (this model year was geared more towards XC) is frame $1399.
    2011 Leviathan is $2800 for frame, headset, fork (RLT Dual Air), and seat collar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33 View Post
    I have a chance to get either of these new. I race mostly endurance races and want to go full suspension from my Superfly. Living in Wisconsin there are no really big downhills or huge climbs, i just want to go full suspension to save my back a little over the long run. These bikes are not available in my state to test ride.

09 Sultan (this model year was geared more towards XC) is frame $1399.
    2011 Leviathan is $2800 for frame, headset, fork (RLT Dual Air), and seat collar.
    Sultan.....You could build the whole bike for $2,800

psycho cyclo addict
    I haven't ridden a Leviathan but have read plenty of positive about it. My guess is that it would probably be a bit lighter than a Sultan so if weight is a major consideration, you may want to lean in that direction.

I own an '09 Sultan and have no complaints whatsoever. Its been very durable (~1500 miles on it this year so far w/o issues), easy to maintain and excellent support from Turner answering questions and hooking me up with a 2012 rear triangle (145x12mm note: isn't shipping til Dec. or later). I also own a 29er hard tail that weighs 3+ lbs. less and I still prefer riding the Turner ~70% of the time. Rode it in all three races I participated in this year (9 hour endurance and two Sport male 45+). I'm not a pro by any means, just out to see what I can do and have some fun.

Pedaling efficiency is superb (I do not use Propedal unless I am on pavement), climbing is also very good- takes quite an effort to get the rear wheel to slip at all. The Sultan handles descents extremely well (I'm 6'2" running a -10 degree stem with a Reba Team 20mm Maxle) and I'm amazed at times how well it snaps back inline if I happen to get sloppy. Particularly on the infrequent occasions when exhaustion gets the best of me toward the end of a race or long ride and I don't react quick enough to avoid getting off the line in the first place. One other thing I thought of mentioning is that I've only managed to get the rear tire to buzz once on a drop that I definitely would have avoided had I known it was there! I stuck the landing at least ehehehe. Let me know if you have other q's.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I've ridden my XL 09 Sultan on the CAMBA trails in N WI ( mostly Rock Lake ) and it handles that terrain well ! I'm not sure I consider it a racer but more trail....however , mine is set up more for trail use and could easily shed a couple or more lbs ! I do like the bike and am replacing it with a 2011 Sultan with a tad slacker HA.....so yeah it rocks ! TIG.

MTB B'dos
    Both of those frames are really nice, but to me no comparison for what you describe, best deal you can get right now would be the Salsa Spearfish complete with X9 parts, for get this $1999 I knew they were a good value, but holy fug not that friking cheap Very, very nice build package, Reba fork, X9 drivetrain, Monarch shock, tapered HT, I mean seriously, for an XC bike, how could you go wrong with those parts and that price???

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for your help guys!

Working Man's Toilet
    I am a HUGE Lenz fan, but $1400 difference is some serious benjamins.