mtbr member
    Sep 2004

04 Dual Sport 129 vs 05 Montare

Hi all, I'm new to this site and to the mountain biking scene so please be gental. I am interested in getting a hybrid type 29er since I do more road trekking than trail riding and was looking into getting a Dual Sport 129 by GF. When I went to purchase one a salesmen told me that the 129 is discontinued and that the GF Montare will be replacing it. Now the question is which bike is the better deal. If I hunt hard enough I might be able to find a GF Dual sport 129 for about $1400 or I can order a new Montare for about $1000. Both models are fairly equal except for the disc brakes (Hayes hydraulic/129 vs Avid mechanical/Montare) and the front shocks ( Manitou South Super/129 vs Manitou South Elite/Montare). Any advice you guys can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Either bike would work for your needs. So get the one that you can find at the best price? Also don't get sucked into waiting forever for a deal. Get a bike and get on with it.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Either bike would work for your needs. So get the one that you can find at the best price? Also don't get sucked into waiting forever for a deal. Get a bike and get on with it.
    Ok.. then the Montare it is. I just called and put one on order. Hunting down a 129 in my size that is actually in stock seems futile. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderXX
    Ok.. then the Montare it is. I just called and put one on order. Hunting down a 129 in my size that is actually in stock seems futile. Thanks for the push in the right direction.
    For the record, the Montare did not replace the 129, it replaced the 229. They dropped the bike that was at the 129's price point, and they added the Utopia at a lower price point than the Montare. It is part of Fisher's desire to make 29 inch bikes more available and affordable to the public.

Russ