mtbr member

A [Carl] Strong Winter Performer

Here is the winter commuter. A majority of the parts were odds and ends that I had sitting on the shelf.

Frame: Carl Strong Ti 29er with Paragon sliders
    Fork: Strong Steel Fork
    Wheels: Handspun Velocity VXC (reflective) / Alfine 8 / Dynamo
    Tires: Nokian 240 Studded 700x40
    Dirty Dog Skull Stem
    On-One Mary bars
    Avid BB7s

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Do Carl some justice

and take more [better] pics!

Carl built me two Ti frames - he is FANTASTIC to work with and his bikes are sweeeet.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

Powered by ice cream.
    It's pretty, but I hope you add fenders
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    No fender mounts. She just pushed through 6" of the Boston white stuff:

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow! That's a commuter many would like to have for their PRIMARY ride!

Looks great. I've been tossing around the studded tire idea. After this winter it seems to make a lot of sense (I'm in southeast PA).

Enjoy the winter as much as you can on that bike.

J
    DirtBrothers PA, est. 2006
    Bound By Dirt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Wow! That's a commuter many would like to have for their PRIMARY ride!
    Most commuters are the primary ride! At least in terms of number of times ridden or number of days ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Most commuters are the primary ride! At least in terms of number of times ridden or number of days ridden.
    True. I guess I just typically think of a commuter as an abused, uncared for beast.

To the OP, is that your year-round commuter or does it dress up as a formal MTB in fairer weather?

I think it's great that he's commuting in this messy winter (sure beats the trainer/rollers). I've continued to do so as well and I'd love to hear what the drivers that go by me think or say.

J
    Bound By Dirt

mtbr member
    Nater, I am on board with you. I spend 40 minutes per day at a minimum on the commuter vs. a lucky weekend day or two per month on the other bikes. I have not ridden the Strong as a true off road 29er yet.

The summer commuter is currently a Ti Planet-X. The raw ti is the best for weathering the daily grind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    Nater, I am on board with you. I spend 40 minutes per day at a minimum on the commuter vs. a lucky weekend day or two per month on the other bikes. I have not ridden the Strong as a true off road 29er yet.

The summer commuter is currently a Ti Planet-X. The raw ti is the best for weathering the daily grind.
    Agreed, Ti/SS/Fixed are great options for commuters. Throw on fenders and you're good to go. I'm lazy this winter and ride my geared Ti IF Crown Jewel to work (25 mi each way) instead of my fixed gear Crosscheck. I don't do many road rides these days, so at least the IF gets good use.
    Bound By Dirt

Mmmmmm Beer!
    That looks exactly like my old frame and fork! I had a friend sell it through eBay about a year ago. It was a sad day but I needed something suspension corrected. If you bought that bike from a guy on eBay named "crashmax" give her a hug for me.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Do you guys realize that your TI commuters are worth more than all my bikes combined. Also, you commuters are worth more than car!!! Wow, good thing I got an Anthropology degree! Nice ride, Carl builds some nice bikes.
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.