mtbr member
    Jul 2011

** Please Help, Price on 2004 Gary Fisher 229 Dual Sport - Might be buying tonight!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and need some help.

I've been riding my old school 1990's Raleigh Talon and recently came across a local for sale ad. It's for a 2004 Gary Fisher 229 Dual Sport 29'er in Good condition... no major scratches, dings, etc... No mods, setup as depicted in the link below from the website.

I am really interested in this bike, but I don't want to get ripped off.
    What would you guys pay for this bike? The seller has it listed for $250

Thanks a TON in advance guys, I really appreciate it!

Detailed info on bike: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/23

Pics are bad quality from seller:

mtbr member
    as long as it fits you and is in good condition, i would say $250 is a fair price. of course it doesn't hurt to offer less. i wish i could get deals like that on craigslist around here...all i get is huffy, next, insert ******** bike here...for "$200 firm" ...or "men's bike, ride good, tires hold air"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I already asked if $250 was the bottom line and she said she really doesn't want to come down on the price. Apparently she measured and said it's a 21" which should fit me. I'm thinking of offering $220 if I like it. Just wanted to make sure I was getting a square deal, I'm not looking for a steal or anything. Just a fair price. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

AZ
    banned
    That is not a 21" frame.

mtbr member
    It looks more like a 15-17.5" bike to me. How tall are you & what's your inseam measurement? It's only a good deal if it fits!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'1" and inseam is 32-33"
    She said she measured from the center of the crank to the middle of the top tube, and got 19" when I just spoke to her. Is that the correct way to measure these bikes?
    Would that make it 19" ?

mtbr member
    Take your own tape. That's not a 19" bike. DO NOT BUY A BIKE THAT DOES NOT FIT.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachsideandy View Post
    Would that make it 19" ?
    No, that would make it to small for someone that is 6'1

AZ
    banned
    Im looking at this chart: http://www.ebicycles.com/custom/cont...tain-bikes.pdf

and its suggesting that for 6'1" with inseam of 33" a 19" frame size is correct. with longer leg length they go to 20". is this correct?

More or less,, until you throw a leg over it its all conjecture. I have doubts about that being a 19" frame but go give it a try. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im looking at this chart: http://www.ebicycles.com/custom/cont...tain-bikes.pdf

and its suggesting that for 6'1" with inseam of 33" a 19" frame size is correct. with longer leg length they go to 20". is this correct?

mtbr member
    yes, a 19" would probably be a good size for you...but that does not look like a 19" frame...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thought I asked this but.....

Is measuring from the center of crank to top of seat post the correct measurement, or center of crank to middle of top tube, or something else ?

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah that is looking like a 17.5" or 18" MAX. I am 6' with a 31" inseam and a 19.5" fits me perfectly (could move to an 18" pretty comfortably). Go and ride it and check it out.. you should have about an inch or so of standover height if it is close to your size. But riding it is the only way to find out, and like the other said, DO NOT COMPROMISE ON FIT!!
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    I thought I asked this but.....

Is measuring from the center of crank to top of seat post the correct measurement, or center of crank to middle of top tube, or something else ?
    Different manufacturers use different methods to define their frame sizes. Traditionally you measure from the center of the BB to the top of the top tube (where your nut$ rest, not on this bike of course) where the seat tube meets the top tube.

I hope this helps you make an educated decision on your bike!

Jeff

mtbr member
    So, how did it go? Did you buy it? What was the true size?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

did not purchase

first off I want to say thanks for all of the help.

I measured from the center of the crank to seat tube intersection and it was 17.5"
    Center of crank to middle of top tube was 19"
    I believe this is the GF 229 DS 17.5" model as listed on their website.
    Too small for me.

I measured my old Raleigh Talon... it's a 21" frame.... center of crank measured to seat tube/top tube intersection is 21" and center of crank to middle of top tube is 21"
    I have had this bike forever and it was bought at a local bike shop in the town I used to live in.... and I guess apparently "fitted" for me.

I have 1" of standover on my current 21" frame raleigh.
    I have street slicks on it and only ride it around the beach roads where I live -- everything I ride on is paved.

so, I'm thinking that a 20-21" frame for my next bike would be good.
    the 20 would give me about 2" of standover, and the 21 about 1", give or take.

I learned a LOT about bike sizing thanks to you guys.
    If I find another "deal" I will bounce it off the forum to see what you guys think.
    I will take a pic of my current bike and post it for you guys to check out... its a real dinosaur.

Warrior's Society
    The Dual Sport 229 is not a true 29er.....more of a hybrid......more like a CX bike with flat bars and front suspension.

Problem with the bike is that rear tire clearance is very limited......a true 29er tire will not fit the frame. You will end up running a narrower CX tire.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Something to definitely consider...

So here are pics of my early 90's Raleigh Talon
    I measured the frame out to 21"
    I have about 1-1.5" standover height.

What type/brand of 29er would you guys suggest? I would be looking for something used, a couple of years old. I guess something common that I could get a good deal on. Any thoughts? I mostly just ride the bike around my beach town on paved roads... And a few trails through the park, but nothing serious. I don't want a "road" style bike. This one works fine, it's just really old and I was thinking of updating... I would like an aluminum frame and preferably a lighter bike overall. This thing weighs a ton.

and yes, that is an old huffy seat I stole off my wife's old bike before we sold it. I had some type of narrow racing seat on here before that my friend put on when he worked at a bike shop. that thing really hurt my ass, although this huffy seat sucks as well.

mtbr member
    BIOPACE!!!! Sweet crank!
    Looks like you live at or near the beach. I think you are spot on looking for a low budget bike given the conditions around salt water.

mtbr member
    -- nevermind --