Thread: Xc bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Xc bikes

What are the current options out there?

mtbr member
    Do you want someone to tell you all the different brands that are currently manufactured? Or do you need someone to go a step further and list all the models for each brand? Maybe we can get someone else to further break down the component spec levels of each model line.
    You've saved everyone a lot of time by ruling out 29" wheel size and downhill specific bikes, so thanks for that. Xc, trail, all mountain are kind of gray areas anymore so let's include all those. I also think we should list both hardtail and full suspension.
    I'd like to see some sort of system set up so that price ranges can be used for inclusion or exclusion. This needs to be easy and intuitive. Nobody should have to decide what their price range is at this stage of the game, so let's make it easy for the OP to do it later.
    Looks like I've taken the project management reigns on this one, and the way I like to run things is to let everyone do what they do best and report to me when done.

OP: when do you need this done by? I'd like to include 2018 bikes as well 2019 stuff that's about to be released, if that's okay. It'd be nice to have any 2017 closeouts as well.

Sneaker man
    Lol hammered.

Op check the xc section, theres threads about xc bike s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    What are the current options out there?
    A fock load
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    A fock load
    Ok, I lol'd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    Do you want someone to tell you all the different brands that are currently manufactured? Or do you need someone to go a step further and list all the models for each brand? Maybe we can get someone else to further break down the component spec levels of each model line.
    You've saved everyone a lot of time by ruling out 29" wheel size and downhill specific bikes, so thanks for that. Xc, trail, all mountain are kind of gray areas anymore so let's include all those. I also think we should list both hardtail and full suspension.
    I'd like to see some sort of system set up so that price ranges can be used for inclusion or exclusion. This needs to be easy and intuitive. Nobody should have to decide what their price range is at this stage of the game, so let's make it easy for the OP to do it later.
    Looks like I've taken the project management reigns on this one, and the way I like to run things is to let everyone do what they do best and report to me when done.

OP: when do you need this done by? I'd like to include 2018 bikes as well 2019 stuff that's about to be released, if that's okay. It'd be nice to have any 2017 closeouts as well.
    Yes! This reminded me of the Angie's List commercials on TV right now.

Barely in control
    He posts a dumb open ended question and then never returns to the thread.

Bikesexual
    Can anyone recommend A helmet?
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Barely in control
    What options are out there for tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Outside of a ritchey P650 I can't find any of the major brands making new 27.5 XC bikes. Scott quit, giant quit, trek never did, what are you guys talking about? Besides Orbea doing big people and small people bikes I can't find anything.

mtbr member
    Outside of a ritchey P650 I can't find any of the major brands making new 27.5 XC bikes. Scott quit, giant quit, trek never did, what are you guys talking about? Besides Orbea doing big people and small people bikes I can't find anything.
    Most brands make the 27.5 XC by frame size. Trek does this
    don't need a 29er on a 13.5" frame. my sons procal is a 27.5
    Too Many .

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    He posts a dumb open ended question and then never returns to the thread.
    lol. A very, very open ended question. Manufacturers call something XC between $125 and $12,000 and between 15 lbs and 50 lbs. Really narrows it down, doesn't it.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

Cycologist
    So what's the best saddle?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I need tires for a bike. They are black, rubber, and round. I need to know the best kind. Unable to provide any more data. Thanks for your help.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Can anyone recommend A helmet?
    Yep.

What options are out there for tires?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    So what's the best saddle?

TIA
    There is no spoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Why not post XL 27.5 frames like I asked for? I have a $1500 wheelset and $800 tuned fork. I have no desire to leave 27.5. Yeah, they may be slower but I just have more fun on them. I've tried 29 and went right back to 27.5. 100-120mm is all my local trails need.

Barely in control
    Oh, you want XL frames? And we were just supposed to know that by reading your mind?

Party_wagon preparing to post on the internet:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh, you want XL frames? And we were just supposed to know that by reading your mind?

Party_wagon preparing to post on the internet:

Stella is gross. I'm hoping to do brec epic and some other stage races that like full suspension. I ride a hardtail most of the year and can't justify a $7000 bike that I will only use for vacations but I can justify a $1800 frame. In terms of geometry the 27.5 giant fathom ticks all of my boxes and a frame up build would likely be my next go to if my frame ever fails, that or just get a high end custom steel bike since they don't make carbon. I did come across the 27.5 highball, I had read those were being discontinued but it doesn't seem like they are. Still want a nice 120 front 100 or 110 rear full suspension frame.
    Last edited by party_wagon; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Why not post XL 27.5 frames like I asked for?
    Psst, dude. That's NOT what you asked for. See your thread title.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    Psst, dude. That's NOT what you asked for. See your thread title.
    I posted XC bikes in the 27.5 section and got a bunch of sarcastic responses. The only thing I have found that ticks my bells and whistles for a hardtail is the highball 2.0. I haven't found a full suspension yet. I didn't post in the 29er section. All of these people posting sarcastic remarks better be able to post links to nice 27.5 XC bikes. I feel like it's national Donkey wears a hat day.

mtbr member
    All of these people posting sarcastic remarks better be able to post links to nice 27.5 XC bikes.
    Name:  ElementaryFriendlyAsianelephant-small.gif
Views: 274
Size:  777.7 KB

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I posted XC bikes in the 27.5 section and got a bunch of sarcastic responses. The only thing I have found that ticks my bells and whistles for a hardtail is the highball 2.0. I haven't found a full suspension yet. I didn't post in the 29er section. All of these people posting sarcastic remarks better be able to post links to nice 27.5 XC bikes. I feel like it's national Donkey wears a hat day.
    A lot of people in my Club rides xc type bikes. Most fs. Granted if you are fairly good technical and well trained stuff like a spark rc or even some 29 ht is best against the clock or in a race. But man...
    Are you sure it's a xc bike that will give you better experiences?
    I have a 27.5 ht high-end carbon whimp besides my 2018 Scott genius 700/900 tuned and It's fun and agile and makes you feel very alive lol, so i understand the qualities and your wish, but I did have to slacken the hta from 70 to 67.5 and lengthen the fork to 120mm to make it more versatile. Granted the wheelbase is a tad shorter than the highball but imo the basic geo with this 69.5/70 degree sta is from the stoneage unless you ride like Nino? And find fun riding like that?
    The chameleon is imo far more modern but apparently it have to drag on with that heavy Alu frame making it kind of tame. So in some way I follow you.
    What terrain are you riding? How do you like to ride it? What's most fun doing?

mtbr member
    I posted XC bikes in the 27.5 section and got a bunch of sarcastic responses.
    OK, in the event you're NOT trolling, I'll spell it out for you. Your post said NOTHING about needing an XL size frame. You simply asked "what's out there for XC bikes?".

If you had said ANYTHING about needing an XL frame, maybe, and only MAYBE would that warrant more serious responses. But still, even then, without any type of specifics as to what you're after your question is so open-ended that you should have just had yourself a Google search.

I ride a large-long Pivot Mach 4. Get one of those.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    What's a Donkey?

Name:  mindreaD.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  22.5 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    OK, in the event you're NOT trolling, I'll spell it out for you. Your post said NOTHING about needing an XL size frame. You simply asked "what's out there for XC bikes?".

If you had said ANYTHING about needing an XL frame, maybe, and only MAYBE would that warrant more serious responses. But still, even then, without any type of specifics as to what you're after your question is so open-ended that you should have just had yourself a Google search.

I ride a large-long Pivot Mach 4. Get one of those.
    I actually really like the looks of that bike. I've never even seen a pivot on the trail locally and none of the local shops carry them. How is their aftermarket support and how do they fit? I'm a L or XL depending on the brand of bike.

mtbr member
    I actually really like the looks of that bike. I've never even seen a pivot on the trail locally and none of the local shops carry them. How is their aftermarket support and how do they fit? I'm a L or XL depending on the brand of bike.
    aftermarket support? These aren't cares.

so what are you really looking for?
    HT or FS
    Carbon? alum? steel? Ti?

You listed XC. you gonna do races? Local races? if so, what are the guys in the area running? What does your LBS sell? You said they don't carry pivot.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    aftermarket support? These aren't cares.

so what are you really looking for?
    HT or FS
    Carbon? alum? steel? Ti?

You listed XC. you gonna do races? Local races? if so, what are the guys in the area running? What does your LBS sell? You said they don't carry pivot.
    I have a dream hardtail built up. It has carbon hoops on top dollar hubs, full xtr, and a 120mm fork. I enjoy XC style riding. I am hoping to start hitting some of the bucket list type XC rides and from talking to locals on here you want a full suspension for some of these big mountain XC trail systems such as Breckenridge. Since it's just a vacation bike I am hoping to find a frame I can move parts from my hard tail to so that I can keep costs down but still have a super nice bike under me.

By aftermarket support I meant customer support. How hard would it be to get pivot bushings, warranty, sizing, and ect. if I don't have a local shop. I'm hoping my hardtail can last me ten plus years with ease so Ideally I would want a full suspension frame that still has support for pivot bushings and ect. ten years later too.

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Pivot Mach 4C - Love mine. Can be specked with 100 up to 130mm front travel and 115mm rear travel. Available in sizes from XL to XS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OP I saw the title posted in 27.5 and smelled what you were stepping in right away.... you want a race worthy bike that has the capable and fun handling of 27.5... what's so hard to understand?!

I ride a race worthy / light build santa cruz solo and love it. The rockymountain thunderbolt is a good choice as well and proven bc bike race xc worthy . If you want more true xc race worhy bike see if you can pick up an older model scott spark 750 (before they went 750 plus) new or used.

Forum police out in full force, unhelpful internet sarcasm...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Steineken View Post
    OP I saw the title posted in 27.5 and smelled what you were stepping in right away.... you want a race worthy bike that has the capable and fun handling of 27.5... what's so hard to understand?!

I ride a race worthy / light build santa cruz solo and love it. The rockymountain thunderbolt is a good choice as well and proven bc bike race xc worthy . If you want more true xc race worhy bike see if you can pick up an older model scott spark 750 (before they went 750 plus) new or used.

Forum police out in full force, unhelpful internet sarcasm...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I like big knobby tires and I find I like them more in 27.5 for xc riding than 29. Something like 2.35 nn rear and 2.35 hd front. They probably have the Same rollover as 29x2.2.