mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Worth It to Upgrade 2015 Trek Remedy 7?

I have a 2015 Trek Remedy 7 27.5 that I would like to make lighter by replacing some parts. The bike currently weighs about 32 lbs, including a Rockshox Reverb dropper post. My goal is to drop the overall bike weight down to the high 20s lbs range.

I am considering swapping out the following parts:

-Upgrade the stock 2x10 drivetrain to SRAM Eagle X01.
    -Upgrade the stock aluminum handle bar to carbon.
    -Upgrade the stock grip to Red Monkey silicon grip.
    -Change the back tire from 2.35 to 2.2.
    -Maybe swap out the stock wheels to something a bit lighter.

I don't want to get a new AM bike because I already have two other bikes in the garage and my wife would kill me if she sees me buy another bike. So I'd rather just upgrade an existing bike; this way she won't notice it .

The bike currently has a blue book value of $1k. I don't mind spending another $2k to drop the bike weight down to the 27-28 lb range.

I have two Open One+ that I currently ride for XC and trail riding during the week, so this bike would be used for more technical downhill stuff maybe once a week.

So is it worth it to make these upgrades and shave off a few lbs off the bike? Any suggestions, including additional parts to replace, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bikesexual
    I say if you are dropping 2k in upgrades, sell the bike and add to the 2k for a new bike.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Sell it, the new bikes are better. I just went from '14 / 27.5" Slash to an '18 and it's much improved in every way.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePlus View Post
    I have a 2015 Trek Remedy 7 27.5 that I would like to make lighter by replacing some parts. The bike currently weighs about 32 lbs, including a Rockshox Reverb dropper post. My goal is to drop the overall bike weight down to the high 20s lbs range.

I am considering swapping out the following parts:

-Upgrade the stock 2x10 drivetrain to SRAM Eagle X01.
    -Upgrade the stock aluminum handle bar to carbon.
    -Upgrade the stock grip to Red Monkey silicon grip.
    -Change the back tire from 2.35 to 2.2.
    -Maybe swap out the stock wheels to something a bit lighter.

I don't want to get a new AM bike because I already have two other bikes in the garage and my wife would kill me if she sees me buy another bike. So I'd rather just upgrade an existing bike; this way she won't notice it .

The bike currently has a blue book value of $1k. I don't mind spending another $2k to drop the bike weight down to the 27-28 lb range.

I have two Open One+ that I currently ride for XC and trail riding during the week, so this bike would be used for more technical downhill stuff maybe once a week.

So is it worth it to make these upgrades and shave off a few lbs off the bike? Any suggestions, including additional parts to replace, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Good points either way. You didn't mention if your Rem is carbon or not but if $3k(a grand from sale + your $2k budget)gets you a similar spec'd new bike "with" those upgrades you mentioned, then yes go for the new. But I doubt you will find that rig for that much. If not, you may have buyers remorse.

One trick a buddy uses to fool the wife when he's getting a new bike is to buy one with same/similar color scheme and roll it on a quick trail ride to get it dirty before hanging up in garage!😎👍
    You may be able to find something new in your budget from an online brand like Whyte, YT, Canyon etc.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I'd just do the 1x upgrade and build up a set of carbon hoops. Those two will probably make up the majority of the weight loss.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I'd just do the 1x upgrade and build up a set of carbon hoops. Those two will probably make up the majority of the weight loss.
    Ditto this^^^. Plus maybe the switch of tires(maybe not to a 2.2 in the rr tho...)and tubeless would be a big improvement! Ride it for awhile then see how the rest of your upgradeitus plays out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks folks for all your inputs.

JMac47 - The bike frame is aluminum, and it is in sort of a ghastly lime green color; so I don't think I would able to get another one with the same color to fool the wife, haha. Good thought though.

I looked up the prices for these parts, and figure they'll cost maybe $1,500 max, then figure another few hundred for labor, so I think $2000 max is totally doable. I agree with JMac47 that I don't think I'll find a new rig with similar spec. The frame is in great condition as I've never had a serious crash (knock on wood). I don't need the latest/greatest, and this is not my main rig, so I'll most likely just go with the upgrade path and keep the wife off my back .

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    RS VR makes sense, this is what I'd do. Prolly buy a 1800ish gram wheelset, you can get that in alloy @ $500 neighborhood depending on hubs. $400 carbon crankset/BB upgrade and you've changed your bike to a different handling new machine. When I put a 750mm carbon bar on (45mm stem) it felt too wide for a while, until I began to enjoy how easy it makes tossing around the bike.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    A $3000 new bike will be a lot better than your $1000 bike with $2000 in upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    A $3000 new bike will be a lot better than your $1000 bike with $2000 in upgrades.
    Agreed with this, everything will be new, the geometry will be updated, and there's a chance that it would have better components.

Check out the Diamondback Release 4c, you could get a heck of a carbon bike for that price.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by acedeuce802 View Post
    Agreed with this, everything will be new, the geometry will be updated, and there's a chance that it would have better components.

Check out the Diamondback Release 4c, you could get a heck of a carbon bike for that price.
    True on that rig! I have my eye on that one too. But it be a little over 30#'s from what the Bike Bible testers said which isn't bad but the op was looking to get down a couple #'s below that.

mtbr member
    I just went through this. After the "long walk" home last weekend when the old bike gave up the ghost.

I needed to seriously frame up build my Scott Scale but for the price of all of the components, I was getting into brand new bike territory. I figured about $1k-$1,200 in parts, and a new one was $1,300 off the showroom floor.

I ended up buying a new bike and will tinker with the Scale when I find used parts or free to get her back up and running.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+ FS happiness
    '10 Scott Scale 29er hardtail with a billion miles on it