mtbr member
    May 2018

Wobbly Suspension

I got a bike https://www.walmart.com/ip/27-5-Schw...lver/107273091 and I tweaked it and everything, the brakes everything. But after a week of riding it, my front suspension started to wobble and I don't know how to fix it. I tightened the headset and everything. If something has to be bought, it must be cheap, however I am a 12 year old mountain biker.

It is 27.5 inches and it has disc brakes.

Sneaker man
    wobbly how?
    while you're riding it's just not very good/flexes all over the place? Or is it movement, eg standing still, put on the front brake and move the bike forward it flexes somewhere (at the hub, at the lower leg/inner leg sliding part, or movement in the headset, where the fork foes into the frame)?
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    wobbly how?
    Like I'm some kind of clown, is that what you're saying? Like I'm here to wobble at you?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    it doesnt flex when I turn, but when I apply the front brake and push it back and forth, the suspension goes back and forth. It doesn't flex too much but it doesnt feel right to have that play.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Also for my rear derailleur, it bounces up and down which is annoying. For example : When I ride off the curb that derailleur bounces up and hits the gear. It makes a lot of noise, but it doesn't mess up any shifting.

mtbr member
    It's a cheap bike. These things are pretty normal. A good suspension fork would cost more than the entire bike.

Sorry to sound harsh but that's the truth. It doesn't however mean that you can't have fun on it. Ride the heck out of it! One day you'll be able to afford a better bike but for now, just imagine you're riding one and dust those trails :0)

mtbr member
    Tighten up the stem/headset interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's a Walmart bike. Personally I would caution anyone against riding a bike like that on real trails. They are not designed for real trails and can be quite unsafe. I let my friends and family know how dangerous they can be, and I just want you to have the benefit of hearing the same thing.

You are much better off on a used bike-shop bike that was designed for real mountain biking trails. You can have a ton of fun on a good bike shop bike that will stand up to the abuse of real trails.

There is a reason there are so many lawsuits against Walmart bikes and the like. Would you trust a bike that cost the same as a decent suspension fork?

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Watch this it will shed light on the reality of your situation.

https://youtu.be/1A6bKUCcDW0

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 12yroldmountainbiker View Post
    it doesnt flex when I turn, but when I apply the front brake and push it back and forth, the suspension goes back and forth. It doesn't flex too much but it doesnt feel right to have that play.
    Does the wobble occur where the fork stanchions enter the lower part of the fork? It's common for low-end forks to have bushings -- made of plastic, maybe? -- that don't stand up to vigorous riding.

The other place to look is where the fork steerer tube enters the head tube of the frame. If the wobble is up there, then the fix might be to just tighten your headset.

mtbr member
    It's WalMart. Return it and start telling everyone you know you're looking for a good used bike.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Video was too funny! It was painful to watch - that dude was hurting!

Thanks for proving my point so thoroughly.

Yes, I agree with the guy above - return your walmart bike and buy a quality used bike-shop bike and have a ton of fun.

No you don't need to spend thousands. Just a good quality used bike from your favorite local bike shop. In the end, it will be a ton of fun, safer, and it won't end up in the corner of your garage collecting dust.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    im on a budget and plus, im only 12 years old.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    how much would a use bike shop bike cost, i went there and most of the bikes are like 500 dollars. It is pretty expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    i bought mine online and assembled it myself, at the tightest it could go

mtbr member
    May 2018
    can i keep the bike and like put lots of upgrades onto it? If yes can it survive a trail ride? I'm planning on a new fork, and a chain guide, because the wheels are pretty wide, the rims are double walled and they have traction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    can i keep the bike and like put lots of upgrades onto it? If yes can it survive a trail ride? I'm planning on a new fork, and a chain guide, because the wheels are pretty wide, the rims are double walled and they have traction.
    You could, but if you can afford the upgrades, you are better off using that money to buy a better bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    how much would a use bike shop bike cost, i went there and most of the bikes are like 500 dollars. It is pretty expensive.
    The cheapest bikes at a bike store are around $500 and will go as high as $10k. If you can return your bike and get your money back (Walmart is good for that) and then use that money and the money you wanted to spend for upgrades, you can get a much better bike. I would look for a used bike though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    i bought mine online and assembled it myself, at the tightest it could go
    My guess is that itís not assembled properly. I would have a bike shop look at it.

mtbr member
    When you put on the brakes and the fork kinda feels like it is wobbling, it is most likely the headset. Loosen the two bolts in the stem and after they are loose, tighten the center screw in the middle (top) just a little bit, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That should take up the play. Next re-tighten the two screws you loosened.

Honestly, that bike is probably better than the bikes us old timers bought 25 years ago. The biggest issues are the drivetrain and the fork. However, you will find upgrading those will end up costing you lots of money and I would not recommend it. If you can, try to save up to ~$550 and upgrade everything at once by buying a new bike.

But for now, I say enjoy the bike and welcome to the world of mountain biking!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    ill try that when i get home, my star nut is also broken, because i overtightened it. I was still able to use it tho because my screw was long enough and I put the nut under the bottom part of the star nut. I will try to get another star nut.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    May 2018

since 4/10/2009
    better than what you have, but the bike you have isn't worth it.

return the bike like everyone is saying

mtbr member
    You're twelve years old. Ask your parents.

Bikesexual
    This! I think some adult help is in order.

FWIW I have the Gravity 29er, solid little bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You're twelve years old. Ask your parents.
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Whatever you do, do NOT spend any money upgrading a Walmart bike.

Listen to the sage advice of the forum users.

We arenít trying to get you to spend money for no good reason. Itís for a very good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    It has all modern parts. Everything is nice. The only thing that needs replacing is the front suspension.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    BTW I ride 27.5's not 24's.

since 4/10/2009
    It has all modern parts. Everything is nice. The only thing that needs replacing is the front suspension.
    A fairly new walmart bike does not have modern parts. It has "new" parts. Those parts really only bear a visual resemblance to what you'd find on actual mountain bikes meant for riding on actual dirt trails. Bikes sold at places like walmart are effectively disposable. They are usually more expensive to service properly than they are to just replace. They cannot really be made safe for mtb riding.

Cycologist
    Your starnut shouldn't be holding your fork on, it is to preload the fork and then the stem is what actually holds the fork on. And in regards to your chain slapping and making noise, wrap your chainstay (the part of the frame it's hitting) with an old intertube (I think you may have started a thread on that). Wobble isn't good, you need to figure out if it truly is due to a cheap fork or if the fork is too loose. You may be better off finding an old but decent 26er on Craigslist. It may not seem as "modern", i.e. V-brakes instead of disk, but it would be a better bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    A fairly new walmart bike does not have modern parts. It has "new" parts. Those parts really only bear a visual resemblance to what you'd find on actual mountain bikes meant for riding on actual dirt trails. Bikes sold at places like walmart are effectively disposable. They are usually more expensive to service properly than they are to just replace. They cannot really be made safe for mtb riding.
    Disposable - that is a good way to describe them. Some of the bike shops in CA wouldn't even work on them if someone walked in with one for liability reasons...............

EAT MORE GRIME
    fix it up best you can, and ride it into the ground, while saving loot
    for someones second-hand better bike to show up somewhere that -is- worth upgrades
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    If you have disc brakes, check to see if the rotor bolts are loose. If those are fine, check your headset. If neither of those, then it's probably your fork.