Thread: Whyte T-130 RS

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Whyte T-130 RS

I just ordered a Whyte T-130 RS and can't wait for it to get here. The ordering experience was fantastic. Jason, the President, personally answered all of my questions and made sure the bike was exactly what I was looking for. I'll post updates when the bike gets here, but all the reviews speak very highly of it and I can't wait.

Anyone else here riding a Whyte?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingTheDesert View Post
    I just ordered a Whyte T-130 RS and can't wait for it to get here. The ordering experience was fantastic. Jason, the President, personally answered all of my questions and made sure the bike was exactly what I was looking for. I'll post updates when the bike gets here, but all the reviews speak very highly of it and I can't wait.

Anyone else here riding a Whyte?
    Not me, but I've seen the reviews.. Looks like a really fun bike. Is the rs the carbon version? ..Be interested to hear your thoughts on how it rides..

mtbr member
    I'd be interested how that 130 in the front shapes up during rides...
    Ride - crash - repeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The rs isn't the carbon version, just the step up from the base S. Here are the RS highlights: Shimano XT 1 by 11 drivetrain / RockShox Pike fork, Monarch DebonAir shock and Reverb Stealth seatpost. I hope to post a review as soon as it is in my hands.

I know this is a 27.5 thread, but Whyte still has some 29s on sale for 30% off, if anyone is looking for a year end deal.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    130mm is very versatile. You can do a large variety of "xc" and "trail" with that much travel. I always thought a 140mm trail bike would be too much travel and realized bikes ride very differently. With small adjustments to the suspension, tire setup, and cockpit you can make a variety of bikes work for you. I always thought the whyte bikes had too long of a TT which makes the front end feel heavy and unbalanced. I'm sure it's something you can get used to very quickly.

Also I believe most of the bikes have been sold out for most of the summer. I didn't see any 30% off bikes when I looked in June or July.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Great insights, jokaankit. Have you ridden the 2016 T130? I think they redid the geometry recently. I couldn't find a Whyte to demo near me so I took the plunge based on all the reviews. I wanted a bike that could climb well and handle switchbacks (29ers made me feel like driving a truck) and the Whyte had great reviews for climbing and handling.

I was riding a Fuji Adventure Comp with 150mm travel, which was great for AZ but not for central NJ. The trails around me dictate a more XC focused bike, but I still want to be able to do the rough stuff a few times a year. I was looking at 120 bikes, but 130 was perfect for what I am looking for.

Whyte still has a bunch of T129s and the carbon T130s available on clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've never ridden one, let alone seen one. I've ridden south Jersey, great variety you have in NJ. I'm in Long Island. Haven't dared to ride ringwood on my xc hardtail, I might just go once I pick a FS bike. I'm pretty sure they've been sold out of the T-130 for a while, with the exception of some XL frames. The G-160 is still available. Let us know how you like the whyte. I would recommend trying a + FS bike, see how it works for your trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Not a fan of + or 29, I like the responsiveness you get from smaller diameter, lighter wheels and rims. Ringwood is way too far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Not a fan of + or 29, I like the responsiveness you get from smaller diameter, lighter wheels and rims. Ringwood is way too far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    orry for the delay, but I would rather ride than type and I still have to work to support my habit...

I am not a great rider, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I have been able to get 4 rides in since I got the bike about 2 weeks ago, 2 new trails and twice at the small Rutgers Ecological Park near my house. Here are my thoughts about the Whyte.

Pros:
    - It is a small company in the US. The US website has a live chat option. It was answered by the president of the company. It felt like an enthusiasts company and not a corporate giant.
    - Everything works well together. It seems like the components were selected, not just based on quality, but on their interaction.
    - Great all-arounder. From nasty rocky descents to tight switchbacks, this bike can handle it all.
    - Amazing balance and handling.

Cons:
    - The bike measures a little small. I usually ride a medium in most other brands, but I'm a large in Whyte.
    - I could use another inch of height on the seat. I think this is just an adjustment and its only from a lack of knowledge I haven't fixed it.
    - Low pedal clearance if you need to climb on nasty rocky trails.

Impressions:
    Prompton State Park in PA. The part that I rode wasnt very technical and relatively flat. I say 'the part' because the trails are incredibly poorly marked and I spent two hours transitioning between 2 or 3 trails and the rest of the time riding in stream beds and rivulets I mistook for trails. The bike ate everything up. Climbs, even in loose or rocky soil was a breeze with little to no front wheel lift even under shorter steeper climbs. The stream beds were just about as wide as my handlebars and twisty, but I couldn't outrun the bikes capabilities. That is the biggest strength - this thing handles like it is on rails. I was worried about the longer wheelbase slowing the handling, but, combined with the low center of gravity, it handles better than anything I have ridden in the price range.

Rutgers Ecological Park, NJ. This is my home trail and, besides for 1 steep climb, is fairly easy. I have never gone faster or felt more confident than on this bike. The blue trail headed back to the parking lot is singletrack with incredibly tight turns. I carried more speed and was able to cut harder than ever before. If you need the bike to really cut, just drop the post and it will do anything you ask.

Sourland, NJ. This park was a mistake, it isnt designed for biking. I took the Rocky Ridge trail up out of the parking lot. I was riding on the softest setting front and rear. Completely rock strewn and (I am sure there is some guy that does it on his 15 year old hard tail) I it seemed like every other pump ended in a pedal strike. When the trail did open the bike climbed up large rock faces and handled low speed maneuvering without issue. For the downhill, the longer wheelbase really seemed to add stability that let me handle just about everything the trail threw at me.

Six Mile Run is next (hopefully this weekend).

Again, I dont have much experience with bikes in this price range, but if you are looking for a bike in this price point, Whyte deserves some attention.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Height and inseam?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    5'11'', 30"

Sick bike, great customer experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I recently picked up the carbon version - sweet bike. Tons of tire clearance in the rear. Wondering if anyone has put a wider rear tire on?

I'm sure the WT Maxxis tires would fit fine, but wondering if even a 2.8 could fit in there...

mtbr member
    I ride a 2015 T-130 Works with Hope wheelset and Renthal cockpit upgrades and I absolutely love it. I've lost 20mm of suspension from my previous bike but this is a good thing. 130mm is absolutely perfect for the UK trail riding I do, so the geometry is spot-on. I'm 6' and ride a Large.

mtbr member
    Nice! I bought a 2017 T130 carbon RS I'll be assembling this weekend. Cant wait to take it for a spin.
    I'm coming off a 150mm Stumpjumper with a 160 fork, so hopefully the 130mm will be enough like everyone says.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Nice! I bought a 2017 T130 carbon RS I'll be assembling this weekend. Cant wait to take it for a spin.
    I'm coming off a 150mm Stumpjumper with a 160 fork, so hopefully the 130mm will be enough like everyone says.
    Good choice, prepare to be impressed - the C-RS is winning all sorts of plaudits and awards. By all accounts, it's totally awesome. It is surprisingly heavy on the scales for a carbon bike but my Works rides like a much lighter bike and climbs like a scared monkey. Yours will be even better.

What kind of riding do you do? I'm finding 130mm of travel ample. I rarely (if ever) used the full 150mm on my old Saracen 14X. Long travel is only good if you use it. If not then you are compromising geometry. Also, what height are you and what size did you go for?

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 and based on the chart I was going to buy a medium, but I was lucky enough to find a local willing to let me demo his Large 2016 T130 RS. If felt heavy lifting it off the rack, but rode like a bike 5lbs lighter. The fit was spot on, so I ordered a large with 150mm dropper.
    I do a huge mix of riding and love to jump and wanted a bike that was quick and fun on the rolling lowland trails, but could also handle fast flowy jumplines and the steep techy descents we also ride. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, but I'm also a very smooth rider so I wanted to try a shorter travel bike with aggressive geo. I wanted the geo of a 160mm enduro bike in a more efficient 130mm package and for about 2 years I've been searching for a bike that fit that description but nobody makes one. The Evil The Following was close, but doesnt have boost spacing, which was something I really wanted. The Whyte T130 is the first bike I found that finally met all the requirements I wanted in a new bike: Carbon frame, boost spacing, 130ish travel, slack headtube and low BB, short chainstays and something that looks good.

mtbr member

Wink

I'm 5'10 and based on the chart I was going to buy a medium, but I was lucky enough to find a local willing to let me demo his Large 2016 T130 RS. If felt heavy lifting it off the rack, but rode like a bike 5lbs lighter. The fit was spot on, so I ordered a large with 150mm dropper.
    I do a huge mix of riding and love to jump and wanted a bike that was quick and fun on the rolling lowland trails, but could also handle fast flowy jumplines and the steep techy descents we also ride. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, but I'm also a very smooth rider so I wanted to try a shorter travel bike with aggressive geo. I wanted the geo of a 160mm enduro bike in a more efficient 130mm package and for about 2 years I've been searching for a bike that fit that description but nobody makes one. The Evil The Following was close, but doesnt have boost spacing, which was something I really wanted. The Whyte T130 is the first bike I found that finally met all the requirements I wanted in a new bike: Carbon frame, boost spacing, 130ish travel, slack headtube and low BB, short chainstays and something that looks good.
    Don't forget that lovely internal cable routing..!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    I recently picked up the carbon version - sweet bike. Tons of tire clearance in the rear. Wondering if anyone has put a wider rear tire on?

I'm sure the WT Maxxis tires would fit fine, but wondering if even a 2.8 could fit in there...
    Also recently got a carbon T130, a 2017 C RS. As an experiement I've got some 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nics to fit, just done the rear and it clears easily at the top and still leaves a little bit of room on the bottom, but not much. Will get the front fitted and give it a clean and will get some pics up Interested to see how it goes!

mtbr member
    I tested out the Roval 38mm wide rims with a butcher 2.6 and it clears in the back. I'll be running those myself soon. A Nobby Nic 2.8 clears up front, but I'll probably stick with 2.6 butchers front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where are the updates and the picts folks?

mtbr member
    I totally forgot about this thread. I'll update it with review.
    I purchased my 2017 Whyte T130c RS back in October.
    I've ridden Stumpjumpers for years and was coming off a 2013 Stumpjumper Evo with a 160mm Pike fork and I pushed it hard. I was worried 130mm of travel wouldnt be enough...

I was WRONG.

Climbing- The bike is low and slack but I rarely get tire wonder, even on really steep sections. I easily make it thru steep switchbacks my SJ struggled on. Pedaling the bike is much more responsive without any wallow, even with the shock fully open. I do tend to flip the Monarch plus into medium for long climbs, but I dont think I've ever felt the need to use firm.

Trail riding- This thing is a rocket. Its low, stable and playful. Its and odd combo to have and I'm still getting use to it. Its accelerates incredible quick when you pedal out of corners, and the low BB helps it slalom thru corners like a go-kart. The geo give it a rock solid stable feel but the short rear combined with 130mm of travel give you a nice solid platform to push again and it is real easy to change lines, lift the front or pop over things with ease. At slow speeds it doesnt handle like a rented mule and feels like an efficient short travel bike.

Descending- The T130 might only be 130 on paper, but it handles steep trails much better than my SJ did. It has a real stable, DH bike feel while descending, but that short rearend also makes it really agile. Im not used to a bike that is stable and playful and its taking some time to get used to. If it was a blind test I'd say the rear had atleast 150mm of travel.

Jumping- The bike is incredible at jumping. Like I said before, the rear suspension gives you a nice platform to push against and I've been able to easily double up things I struggled with before. The stability at speed is also real helpful and I've hit several 20-30fters with ease on this bike.

I've made a few changes from stock and finally got mine setup to fit me and my riding style. Here are the current specs:
    Large frame with Monarch Plus RC3 debonair shock (replaced standard Monarch RT3)
    Pike 130 (stock)
    Eagle X01 Drivetrain (stock and amazing!)
    Enve RSR 760 carbon bars with ODI Rogue grips
    XX1 carbon cranks w/32T Eagle Ring
    Roval Traverse SL 38 - Carbon 38mm internal width (replace Arc30 wheels)
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT / Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (switching to Butcher/Slaughter 2.6 in summer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whyte T-130 RS-whyte130.jpg  

mtbr member
    more pixWhyte T-130 RS-whyte1302.jpg
    Whyte T-130 RS-t130snow.jpg

mtbr member
    in action...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    in action...

Is that at exit 27?

Your pictures looks very familiar. Are you in Western Washington?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    video is from Black Diamond, pix are from Tokul East

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    video is from Black Diamond, pix are from Tokul East
    Cool, thanks.

Is there any chance that I could try out your T130 one of these days? I'm up in Kirkland and could meet anywhere hereabouts.

That bike has piqued my interest as a potential replacement for my Troy.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Not a problem at all. PM me and we can talk!

mtbr member

:P

Thanks for the write-up, Mr Lynch. I'm still deeply besotted with my T-130 Works but saw a 2017 CRS up at Cwm Carn recently and my Lord, it was gorgeous. It's one of those bikes that looks much, much better in the flesh than it ever does in photographs.
    Last edited by Mascot; 02-24-2017 at 05:10 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm unusual compared to most that i bought my T-130 in a Large, but Whyte sent me a Medium. I'm 6'0 and thought "wow, it fits perfectly.... ".... I then went to my LBS and tried out a Large... but you know what, it just felt too big.
    Weirdly, all my other bikes are Large... but i love the way the T-130 feels and rides in the medium.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    New 2018 Whytes are on their website. New T-130 S and 905 with 2.8 tires. Nice looking bikes. Yum yum!

aka Manzanita Tom
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post
    I'm unusual compared to most that i bought my T-130 in a Large, but Whyte sent me a Medium. I'm 6'0 and thought "wow, it fits perfectly.... ".... I then went to my LBS and tried out a Large... but you know what, it just felt too big.
    Weirdly, all my other bikes are Large... but i love the way the T-130 feels and rides in the medium.
    I'm 5'11" and just yesterday reached the same conclusion after trying a medium and a large T-130, just riding around the parking lot. I'm used to an old skool HT, so the modern geometry on probably any bike is going to feel foreign to me. Raked out front, short stem, wide bars, and high seat all make for a very stretched out feeling seating position, and a *lot* of weight on my arms/wrists.

Based on Whyte's sizing guide I figured I'd be a large for sure, but after trying both I felt like the medium was better fit for me - more upright position, less laid down. That all said, I didn't adjust the fore/aft seat position on either bike, and that would definitely help. Also, the shop guy said he could move a 5mm spacer from the top of the stem to the bottom, and also put some different bars on with a higher rise. that and sliding the seat forward would change the fit a lot, and maybe end up with a more comfortable bike for me. I asked about adding spacers under the stem and he said all the steering tubes are cut to the same height, and there wouldn't be a ton of extra room there - maybe get one more in.

Anyone else have trouble choosing a Med vs. Large? What did you end doing? Are you happy with your choice?

Thanks for any input!

Tom
    "I may be old, but I'm slow."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Unless you have a short torso or arms I don't see why the geo would favor sizing down for someone at the lower end of the sizing chart. Typically spacers, seat rail, bar length/rise/ sweep, etc can make the fit better. You could size down if you like being more on top of the bike though.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.