mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Idea! Who really knows their parts hierarchy? Which would you say is best?

Ok, whoever helps me out here is my savior. I've been researching bikes from my local bike shop and it comes down to these 9. I've already eliminated like 10 and the price is all the same on these (within $100 of each other). The rider will be a 5 foot girlfriend (yes, all these are available in s/xs).

Update: I just realized the picture is tiny - here's a link to the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Who really knows their parts hierarchy? Which would you say is best?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    I'd go for the bike with the least fuzziest parts list.

That diagram is small!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    At this price point all the parts are more or less the same, there is no diamond in the rough. Focus more on what type of riding your GF will be doing and what bike matches the best with that, even then, there isn't much drastically different between them. Why don't you present a few to her and let her choose which one she wants based on looks/color etc?

mtbr member
    Whatever she is most comfortable on.

mtbr member
    Those all have the same low end parts spec.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    You've already done more work to figure out what's different about those bikes than it's worth. I agree it's time to get her involved since everyone knows the color is the most important anyway.

j/k, sorta. Not really much diff as mentioned.

mtbr member
    I'll give it a shot.

I'd go with the Fuji Nevada 1.4, it has an XT derrailuer and is also a 9-speed, in fact I'd throw out the 8-speeds so she can have a slightly wider spread of gear ratios. It has an XCM fork which isn't as good as XCT but at this level it's comparable enough. The fork is also 100mm of travel which I'd prefer over some of the 80mm options. I like Tektro brakes better than Promax but not as much as Shimano, but the Fuji does come with a 180mm front rotor where others have 160mm. Also the M-290 brake is slightly better than the M285 on some of the other bikes.

With all that said, frame geometry and comfort is important so if she can try out the bikes all the better.

mtbr member
    I see a few on that list with 1-1/8" head tubes. I'd avoid those if others are available with a tapered head tube. This allows you to upgrade in the fork in the future, if you choose to do so.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Let her ride the bikes and and see which one she feels the best on...then get that bike. The parts won't matter much if she ends up on a bike she does not feel comfortable on and end up wanting to ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've got a different take on your goal. Ignore the below if its not the direction you're going.

What's your actual budget in dollars? 500 bucks ish?

I would seriously look at getting a DB/Raleigh corporate account.

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...3&postcount=51

They are free and you can get steep discounts on a rotating basis, ie. their stock and discounts change regularly. Right now you can get a DB Lux ST $280 or Raleigh Ziva $350 after corp discount which are equivalent to the other bikes.

Are you going to take her out onto real trails or is this a casual thing? If its the latter then these bikes are perfect. However if its the former, I'd really think about raising the budget to 800ish. And add to that if you go DB/Raleigh with the discount. For ex. I bought four women's Ziva Comps for $630ea, shipped no tax. The Ziva's are out of stock atm but you can see how much we got for our money if you compare the specs. The bikes have made it thru a season of NICA racing thus far being beat to hell by a bunch of highschool riders. There were no bike fatalities, crosses fingers.

Raleigh Bikes, 2017 Ziva Comp

mtbr member
    You're over-analyzing this-she should buy the bike that she can see and try out and buy locally, the one that she test rides and likes and wants to take home. That makes her excited to ride. The teensy differences between these bikes is not going to make one better than another as much as her picking out the one she wants in person and buying from a shop that treats her like a valued customer both with this purchase and upgrades she might choose to make in the future.

mtbr member
    I'll go against the grain here and say that if you did a comparable level of comparison on geometry of the bikes you're considering, you'd find all the numbers so close to each other that she wouldn't objectively notice a difference. They are all low-end bikes, they aren't the cutting edge of geometry or anything else. I'd bet most anything at least a few of them are the same catalogue frame with different stickers.

In terms of components it goes fork, brakes, everything else. **at this price** because all bikes at this price have more or less the same wheels.

In terms of a bike for the GF, where... it sounds like riding is more your idea than hers, color probably slots in before anything that actually matters.

monster member
    LIke others alluded to... let her pick the color she loves best and that'll make her want to get on her bike! Women are weird that way and if she loves the way the bike looks, she'll want to ride it with you.

That said, I bought a bike that my wife loved the color of... she was into it and gave it a shot. So I put XT wheels on it, a good 3.2 lb fork to replace the cheap 5-lb fork, put lightweight oil in the fork to work with her weight, carbon seatpost. That was fun to be able to make such huge improvements on a low-cost bike. But she just never took to it so now our daughter has it who also doesn't really ride it. Go ahead... it's worth a shot at finding a hobby you can share with your girl, but I'd let her pick the bike she's enamored with and then see how it goes from there. Hopefully she likes the hobby!
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Never buy your GF or wife a crap mountain bike especially if yours is nice. She will hate riding it. Save yourself the hassle, get a real suspension fork at least a recon, tubeless tires, and a 1x drivetrain.

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    Never buy your GF or wife a crap mountain bike especially if yours is nice. She will hate riding it. Save yourself the hassle, get a real suspension fork at least a recon, tubeless tires, and a 1x drivetrain.
    Not necessarily true. My wife likes her "crap" mountain bike more than she likes mine. I have offered to buy her a non "crap" mountain bike for years.

Being a "crap" mountain bike is subjective. Many will probably think my bike(s) are "crap", as many will probably think yours is "crap". BTW, I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a "crap" bike.
    Yo no hablo inglés

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    BTW, I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a "crap" bike.
    Work in a bike shop for a couple of weeks and you might change your mind about that.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Work in a bike shop for a couple of weeks and you might change your mind about that.
    I have and it hasn't. I even think big box stores aren't crap bikes. Only bike snobs would think otherwise. That's just me, though.
    Last edited by MiWolverine; 05-05-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
    Yo no hablo inglés

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    nly big snobs would think otherwise.

Well then I guess I'm a big fat snob. A 2 week old bike (bso) that requires a higher repair bill than it cost new was obviously never designed to be used. I call that a crap bike but that's just me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Dave's not here.
    Well then I guess I'm a big fat snob.
    Admitting a fault is half the battle. You're on your way, sport!
    Yo no hablo inglés

mtbr member
    Well then I guess I'm a big fat snob. A 2 week old bike (bso) that requires a higher repair bill than it cost new was obviously never designed to be used. I call that a crap bike but that's just me.

Wow we now officially have two people on here out of like 10,000 members that defend crap bikes, me and MiWolverine. It's an actual group now!

JB, would you mind getting into specifics of what happens with the BSO's breaking and costing more than they are worth? Because, as you pointed out, their parts are cheap to begin with, so did the entire bike break? Did they try to take a bunch of 4+ foot jumps on a BSO, or ride down the hill at 30 MPH or something? What specifically happened?

If you count my $517 3x8 hardtail as a BSO, then for all of these cheap bikes I've had, I've probably ridden a total of roughly 7000 miles on them so far, let's say 5500 miles of pavement/fire road and 1500 miles of singletrack/downhill. Besides chain, cassette/freewheel, and tire/tube replacements (which is maintenance, not real repairs), below are all repairs/replacements on them:

Busted freewheel rear axle: $52 replacement wheel

Bad front derailleur: $15 replacement, $20 LBS labor

Shifter cables bad or housing stripped/broken a few times: maybe $45 plus around $70 LBS labor

Fork arrived bent in box; put on different one from other trashed bike, LBS labor $60

And that's it. Total repair/LBS labor costs in 7000 miles of riding: around $260

Total new cost of all bikes in 7000 miles of riding (2 still with me): $1602 ($797 of bike still riding fine; $805 in trash).

So...looking at it another way, a bit over $1000 worth of bikes either in trash or with repair costs in 7000 miles of riding. Since I'm now riding around 2000 miles a year, that's roughly $350/year besides normal maintenance. Are these numbers surprising?
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    JB, would you mind getting into specifics of what happens with the BSO's breaking and costing more than they are worth?
    Multiple things but 2 of the most common were probably shelled bottom brackets and rear hubs, a decent bb and rear wheel with installation is probably over $100, I'm talking mostly about sub $200 bikes but a lot of the same shoddy parts are used on the "higher end bso's. I saw stuff like this practically on a daily basis and the owners weren't abusing them, it's just that the parts were total junk.

Plus the fact that 9/10 people ride them as they were assembled at the store so derailleurs jammed in the wheel and all sorts of other maladies are caused by faulty adjustments.

I'm really not a bike snob at all, any bike being used is awesome and I love seeing people out riding no matter what kind of bike they're on. It does bother me that bso's are designed and sold using parts that are designed to function, but only for a very short time with the manufacture knowing full well that it really doesn't matter because the majority of their customers will give up the sport soon anyway, that or get rid of it and get something that will handle some use.

Too much junk already clogging landfills.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    If you want to actually mountain bike, on mountain biking trails, there absolutely are crap bikes. You're likely to hurt yourself trying to ride one.

Theres some great (really funny) videos on youtube about people trying to mountain bike on BSO's. They last about one ride, if that, before total failure.

It would be one thing if this was a commuting forum, or recreational/exercise biking forum... but its a mountain biking forum. In that context, I think its fair to say there absolutely are crap bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

It would be one thing if this was a commuting forum, or recreational/exercise biking forum... but its a mountain biking forum. In that context, I think its fair to say there absolutely are crap bikes!

The majority of the bso's I dealt with were used mostly for commuting. Still not up to the task.
    I brake for stinkbugs

bikes don't have motors
    The majority of the bso's I dealt with were used mostly for commuting. Still not up to the task.

This is my summation as well, the shop I worked in wouldn't work on them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

B.Ike
    I;d pick the fuji...slightly better components...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I went through this purchase about a month ago. My girlfriend was riding a bike she bought a while back that was too big for her but she rode bike paths and it didn’t bother her too much.. she decided she wanted to ride with me and we went onto some trails in a local park to see how she felt off the paths.. she loved everything except her bike just wasn’t right for her to ride where you don’t just sit and pedal and aim down the road. We started looking into getting something better suited and more her size so she felt comfortable enough to maneuver it on the trails..

After a lot of searching and finding shops wth the bikes she thought were possibilities she settled on a Specialized Pitch Comp women’s in white.. she was of course drawn to the Cali fade graphics on the white frame and it was her size. It has an xcm fork which is a slight higher spec than the xct on a lot of the bikes and it has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes.. she loved that it fits her and she will never really push that bike like I push mine but if she gets into it more we can upgrade things because it does have a good frame that she likes.. it was just under $600 during the specialized sales that were running in April and even for the normal price it’s a great beginner bike. Key is she likes it and she was involved in picking it so now it’s just about having fun. Good luck with your search and get her involved!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would look at the women's specific Specialized like Jay930 said - most important factor is frame and fit. Good luck getting your female friend into the sport, it doesn't always work out so go slow and be patient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Take a look at vitus bikes