mtbr member
    Mar 2014

What is the ideal basic 650b hardtail to upgrade components on?

hello,

I've been riding a cheap and dead 26 to ride the local trails and i'm looking to upgrade. In a perfect world I would find a dealer and order a scott scale 750 for ~1800, or do it right the first time and get a pivot les 27.5.

I don't see much point in buying a middle of road bike with a mediocre at best fork and components when i plan to upgrade them anyways. If i were to buy once, i couldn't see spending more than ~$1200 at this time (scale 770, kona cinder core or blast). Of which would get me a suntour or cheaper rockshox, and deore/alivio components at best.

Time really isn't on my side since spring is basically here so building from scratch really isn't an option. What i would like to do is build up a cheaper bike exactly how i want it, while being able to ride at the same time. Then if i was so inclined i could buy a trick frame later and swap the parts over.

Why a 27.5 hardtail instead of 29? Well, i'm probably a bit shorter than most of you "short" guys on here.

So which bikes out there would you recommend? Currently looking at bikes like motobecane/gravity, fezzari, etc. The less i spend on the bike, the more i could spend on components. The 27.5 forks seem to bring a premium as is.

What specs do i need to take note of if i were to deck it out with slx/xt components, fox fork and later want to swap it over to a more desirable frame?

Things like bottom brackets and headset specs are a bit esoteric. Can you just swap from any bottom bracket to another (say solid crank to hollow crank)? Are forks compatible throughout all mtb in regards to fork steerer?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but look I forward to hearing other's thoughts on this.

mtbr member
    I honestly think you should just take some time, save, and buy what you want. Look at some of of last year's offerings to find the best deal and look through the classifieds in your area and on this site. As you said, I think you may invest more time than you want to if you are to build. It would be a good investment to gain some knowledge, but if you want to ride sooner rather than later, search it out and buy it. I wouldn't be a stickler on wheelsize, find a frame that fits and accept the wheels that come with it. Once you have your bike, take some time and look over your components and how the bike fits together.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well, at first i was like "650b aren't new enough to get last years models". So i ended up taking a look at some of those sweet deals for those Marin bikes on ebay. I was really close to buying the Nail Trail 26 2013 models with really good specs for about $1150 shipped. Then i started browsing on pinkbike looking for a bike for my girlfriend. Sent her a link for one for her and she ended up finding me a new 2013 Scott scale 740(XT/SLX/fox alu 27.5) that was deeply discounted.

Hitch goes on the car next week for the rack, bike will be in the week after. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Good things come to those who look for them. Enjoy the ride.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.