mtbr member
    Jul 2018

What do i do?? Buy new bike or keep kraken ???

So.. I'm pretty new to mountain biking. I grew up all my life pretty much attached to a BMX but now that I'm 25 I decided to swallow the pill and get a MTB... I picked up a Carrera Kraken 27.5'' 2015 edition (white and blue). At first I bought this bike just to mess around on and to get from A to B. It wasn't until me and my m8 went to a few local MTB trails at the beginning at the summer that I for the first time experienced fast paced downhill mountain biking (on this bike) and have decided to stick to it. We've probably been to the tracks around 4/5 times over the summer for the full day and had great fun...

In summary, I feel the Carrera Kraken is genuinely unbelievable on the trails. Both speed and control of the bike is brilliant. I couldn't help notice that every other rider there had high spec bikes though. Most of them full suspension bikes worth £1000 and most times even more. Its got me questioning wither or not the Kraken is the appropriate MTB to upgrade and keep for hammering these steep and technical trails ... I can't help but feel everyone is looking at me for having a cheap bike even though most time it looks better than theirs ..

I ride my bike pretty hard up and down the steeps yet I have still to witness a single chain slip on the Kraken. Everything seems to work perfectly, the 120mm front forks regardless of what the consumer reviews say are high on performance in my book.. Its like landing on a cloud when I have them activated. Really spongey and nice.. my computer says I hit around 22mph down the steeps and I can honestly say that not once did the bike feel shakey or uncontrolled. The adrenaline rush I get from it is second to none... for me, the best bike i've ever had. On a few occasions I've actually passed people on the trails who have encountered some kind of technical issue with their big fancy bike at the side of the track as mines glides flawlessly past them ... What does this mean?? is paying over the odds for a MTB really that over-rated??? what is the script? can a budget hardtail like the Kraken really be used for Red and Black rated trails and be considered qualified to do so????

Bare in mind that I'm not really looking to race or try act professional with this I'm just looking to just hit fun speeds down shifty tracks and maybe the odd little jump here and there.. As I said, I'm new to mountain biking. The thing is I don't want to spend anymore than I would spend on buying a decent second hand motor bike either (£1000) I also don't wanna spend anymore than £1000 for a bike that i'll end up bumping and bruising to hell off rocks the size of my head... I can't really afford it enough to justify it.

but yeah, If anyone could give me advice it would be greatly appreciated. If downhill mounting biking is what I'm going to do, Am I considered an idiot for sticking with the Carrera Kraken? Is there another type of bike that would be best suited? Can the kraken really be utilised on such tough terrain and expect to withstand the brutality of the bumps and jumps?? Should I just keep the bike seeing as I like it and just upgrade it as I go along?? is a full susser really necessary?? .. Is the whole idea of having a bike worth more than your car really that essential in the world of MTB??? someone help

thanks in advance.

Bikesexual
    I'm 52 so my first advice is don't worry about what others think or say about you or your bike!

Especially, if you are having fun, and the bike is taking the abuse.

Safe some $$ and learn what you really want to do, and upgrade to a better suited bike later.

Just have fun, man I wish I would have started riding at 25 and not 48. You can still break bones

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Ride what you got, ride some other people's bikes. Figure out what you don't like about yours and what you do like about other people's and in the process learn what's out there and what difference it makes to the way you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I'm 52 so my first advice is don't worry about what others think or say about you or your bike!

Especially, if you are having fun, and the bike is taking the abuse.

Safe some $$ and learn what you really want to do, and upgrade to a better suited bike later.

Just have fun, man I wish I would have started riding at 25 and not 48. You can still break bones

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    I'm just like you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    thank you mate! It was driving me crazy. I think I might just stick with the Kraken and get some upgrades with it as they come or as it breaks.

If the Suntour forks break or become stiff i'll just go buy new rockshox for it or If the brakes break, I'll just get a set of SRAMs to fire on it to replace the clarke m2 system and so forth.. I'll just use any malfunctions on it as an excuse to invest in some better mechanics to put on it. In all honestly I think Its a really good bike. I was expecting so many negatives with it when we took it to the trails but can honestly say I can't see why in the name of god Carrera mountain bikes are considered cheap alternatives that aren't capable of things your average 2 grand MTB can achieve on the trails.. I can assure people well and truly.... I was hitting insane speeds very very comfortably on this bike .

Its booked in for a service at the end of the month anyway, I'm getting a white FSA Orbit MX Headset and some new white handlebars put on aswell a new white Crankset just to top off the visual look of the bike... nothing I plan to get put on it so far will increase performance of it but hopefully by next summer i'll look at getting some Hope Tech Brakes and a SRAM GX Eagle 12 Speed chainset fitted. hopefully that should really increase the overall performance of the bike??

is there any upgrades you would suggest making??

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That sounds about right. I looked it up as it isn't a US brand, and seems decent for a starter bike. A lot of people aren't going to out ride that bike for a while. With your youth and BMX experience, you might. But, you will be far better off riding it for a while before diving into an expensive bike because you will have a better idea what you want out of it.

mtbr member
    id ride the heck out of it, fix stuff as it breaks, but id also save up for a new bike cause no bike lasts forever

mtbr member
    I agree with what the others have said. My two cents is that it is an entry level bike (low end components, frame material, etc) and riding black/red trails is ok, but I would save up for something more suitable for that type of riding. I wouldn’t spend a lot of money upgrading the Kraken unless you break parts. Once you have more experience you will be able to tell the difference. It sounds like you are enjoying it though so a more expensive bike is definitely worth the investment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The best thing you could do is rent a bike you may like to ride, find out if YOU think it is worth the cash. There is a difference in the performance of a higher end bike, the faster you go the more you'll notice it. Too bad the bike industry makes it hard for young people to get started in this sport. It's expensive to race and maintain a bike. If you do look for a bike maybe go used.