Thread: What bike!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

What bike!?

Hi folks. I'm having trouble figuring out what bike would be best suited. I'm looking at used 2014/2015 bikes.

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 790 BC
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 770 Rally Edition
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Norco Range 7.2 C
    Norco Sight 7.2 C

I don't have the ability to demo the bikes before buying because of where I live. Sounds like a bit of gamble (read: stupidity) with that sort of cash but it's one I'm willing to take and one I'd humbly eat pie over when I'm trying to sell it after a month! I guess I'm looking for a sort of all mountain bike but lightness would be a real bonus as I'll be travelling a bit with it, plus my ass could use the help it can pedalling uphill. I'm not into 4 feet drop offs. Just looking for people's thoughts on these bikes.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    All good contenders. They are all somewhat in different categories too. My vote is the 5010 only cuz I've tested it and found it to be a good trail bike. It's not a bike I would say is confused between all mountain and park bike (unlike the Range) but it certainly covers the cross country to all mountain category well.
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    All of them are good bikes. If you can't demo, then go check on bicyclebluebook.com and find the best deal you can get. Or you can look on line for the Bible of Bike test That bike Magazine has and see which fits your style.

You may want to look at Ibis or Santa Cruz, as their Customer Service is very good, even if your not the original customer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely thinking slightly closer to XC on the all mountain spectrum. The thunderbolt bc was really standing out but wondering if the shorter travel is sufficient?

mtbr member
    People ride hardtails on chunky all mountain trails so it all depends on skill level and fitness level. With that said I think the thunderbolt would be fine.
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

Formerly of Kent
    If you aren't taking big drops, why would you need more than a Thunderbolt?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Le Duke

Yep. Can't argue with that.

mtbr member
    I would just buy a bike you can demo, I once bought a used bike through a website and could never fit right on the bike, I got lucky and was able to resell it for what I paid.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm a little bias as I have a heavily modified 2014 Sight (25.06lbs) with peddles. You don't have to be doing big air or drops to enjoy a 140/150mm travel bike. But if you don't dabble in some technical black diamond type trails then I don't think you would need all this travel. I definetly would avoid the 160mm all mountain bikes for what you have described as your riding style unless you do hit the bike parks.

I that case my vote would be the thunderbolt.

All really good bikes on your list though!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a '15 T-Bolt BC Edition and ride most everything in SW Utah easily with it. It rides smoother, faster, and more efficiently than my 6" Remedy does. Mine sits at 26lbs with pedals in a large frame. I've yet to max the suspension out, but I'm not hitting 4nfoot drops either. I wanted something I could pedal all day and try to fill the elusive "one bike to rule them all" slot. I was debating b/w the 5010 and the T-Bolt as well. I happen to ride the owner of Over the Edge's personal BC edition and fell in love with it. I don't think any of those bikes would make you wish you had something else. Ride 'em, find the one that speaks to you, and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Great chat people. Thanks!