mtbr member
    Dec 2013

vitalmtb giant trance advanced sx review???

I was ready to pull the trigger on the giant trance advanced sx until I read the vitalmtb review. I was a little taken back when I read that the cable for the rear derailer gets stretched and almost pulled out when fully bottoming out the rear suspension on big hits. Anyone have this bike and experienced issues with rear derailer cable? They say to pull out more slack on the cable and tape it to the frame??? I don't understand why one would have to tape a cable to the frame after spending 6K on a bike. I spoke to a local bike shop about it they felt that the bike was set up wrong and not enough slack on the cable. I rode the aluminum frame version around and felt the cockpit was a little stretched out like they said as well. That can be easily fixed with shorter stem though. I just don't want to drop all that cash on a bike to have issues with something that simple. I had the same issue with my stumpy evo after hitting big hits it would pull the rear break line out of its clip on the chainstay. Needless to say I sold that one. Looking for a reliable 650b fs that can handle enduro racing any thoughts??

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Bronson, Range, Warden, Troy. Haven't ridden them, but reading around you seem to hear lots of stoked riders. Happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think they meant housing, not the actual cable.

GT Force is also getting really good reviews. I am riding an AOS Sensor and so far I like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hardly a show stopper. i think the cable routing is pretty conventional. who ever built the biuke up had too short a cable housing.
    Sounded like apretty good review to me.
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...-SX-27-5,12781

Bike do a good You tube review to
    2014 Bible of Bike Tests: Giant Trance Advanced SX 27.5 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have had one since December and have ridden it a lot and bottom it out frequently, no troubles what so ever a.
    Also if one rider feels the cockpit is to big or small on any bike is irrelevant to any one else as we all like different set ups and are different shapes and sizes haha!
    Love the bike, makes me ride so much better.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I haven't read the review yet, but I wouldn't write off the bike completely just because they think that the cable is too short. Replacing stock shifter cable/housing with that of a longer, more adequate length isn't terribly difficult.

Dropshot
    Quote Originally Posted by shredmx View Post
    I was ready to pull the trigger on the giant trance advanced sx until I read the vitalmtb review. I was a little taken back when I read that the cable for the rear derailer gets stretched and almost pulled out when fully bottoming out the rear suspension on big hits. Anyone have this bike and experienced issues with rear derailer cable? They say to pull out more slack on the cable and tape it to the frame??? I don't understand why one would have to tape a cable to the frame after spending 6K on a bike. I spoke to a local bike shop about it they felt that the bike was set up wrong and not enough slack on the cable. I rode the aluminum frame version around and felt the cockpit was a little stretched out like they said as well. That can be easily fixed with shorter stem though. I just don't want to drop all that cash on a bike to have issues with something that simple. I had the same issue with my stumpy evo after hitting big hits it would pull the rear break line out of its clip on the chainstay. Needless to say I sold that one. Looking for a reliable 650b fs that can handle enduro racing any thoughts??
    I've got the SX, never had this problem, you read all of the reviews everyone raves about this bike. If there is an issue it's in the set up, someone's cut a cable to short!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    No problems here. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Iv found a local 2012 trance X3 for sale.. The owner says..

"I had to replace the front shifter cable and I can't get it adjusted right."

Red flag.. What am I facing if I decide to fix it? Is this a real issue or just a kid owner? The bikes been down hard I'm certain..

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great bike but the Giant 100mm dropper post is lame, budget for a 150mm since Giant didn't take care of this in the first place. Avid Trail 9 brakes suck too. You'll also likely want a better cockpit, saddle is SO uncomfortable. Other than that, bike is awesome.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rerod View Post
    Iv found a local 2012 trance X3 for sale.. The owner says..

"I had to replace the front shifter cable and I can't get it adjusted right."

Red flag.. What am I facing if I decide to fix it? Is this a real issue or just a kid owner? The bikes been down hard I'm certain..
    2012 trance is not the new Trance 27.5. The old Giant ll had problem with not full lenght cables getting pulled as the suspension moved. All you had to do to fix it is to run a full lenght housing. The new 27.5 trance have full lenght housing and do not have the same problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagon650B View Post
    Great bike but the Giant 100mm dropper post is lame, budget for a 150mm since Giant didn't take care of this in the first place. Avid Trail 9 brakes suck too. You'll also likely want a better cockpit, saddle is SO uncomfortable. Other than that, bike is awesome.
    Picked up some SRAM Centerline rotors 200 front, 180 rear. The super loud squeals and vibrations seem to be gone. I'll report back after 5-10 more rides but seems to have solved my issues.

The new 2016, Giant 150mm dropper post is SO much better for me. So far no complaints with this post. It has smoother action and drops low and out of the way for steeps. Also, I'm able to get my saddle where I need it by slamming it all the way forward, goes further forward than the previous 100mm due to zero setback.