Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 130
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18
    can you take a pic of rear tire clearance? curious how much there is. i am between this bike and the intense tracer 275

  2. #52
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    1SR, how's the Burner in the tight, slow, trialsy tech stuff? Are the longish WB and chainstays noticeable?
    So far it has been great. The trail pictured above has a number of really tight slow speed switchbacks. I was wondering how they would feel on the Burner, surprisingly the main thing I noticed was the extra traction from the 27.5 wheels.
    In no way would I consider this bike slow turning or sluggish feeling in any circumstance I have encountered yet.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    I am on a large Spot and a large Burner. I hear you about the tt length, it had me worried too. At 5' 10.5" I have ridden medium bikes for years and recently switched to large (Turners anyway). Because of this I was concerned that the Burner would feel too long. This was not the case.
    I have wider bars and a 5mm shorter stem on the Burner and I have been switching back and forth between the Spot and Burner seamlessly.

    The geo of the Burner is more dialed than the stock Spot geo as well (imo).
    That's good to hear, esp since I am the same height as you.

  4. #54
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniorphil View Post
    can you take a pic of rear tire clearance? curious how much there is. i am between this bike and the intense tracer 275
    I'll get a pic of tire clearance w/ the 2.35 Hans Damdf tires I'm running for you. Imo there is great clearance.
    For me the better performing DW suspension would be the key difference between the Tracer and the Burner.
    Also consider the Burner was designed around 27.5" wheels, the Tracer has an adapter kit to make the 26" bike work w/ 27.5" wheels.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Also consider the Burner was designed around 27.5" wheels, the Tracer has an adapter kit to make the 26" bike work w/ 27.5" wheels.
    Tracer 275 is a 27.5 specific built bike, from the ground up around 27.5 wheels, totally separate and different from the 26 tracer. It's the carbine that shares the same frame as the 26in and has 27.5 dropouts.

    Love your turner tho,
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

  6. #56
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,881
    After finally getting out on mine today after looking at it shiney new for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to break I can confirm something.

    I've bought an assault weapon.

    The frame combined with the Fox 34 gives so much confidence, at speed through baby heads, or off drops I was loving it. Coming off several years only riding XC on 29ers I didn't notice any dimished rollover ability with this setup. The slacker headangle will take some getting used to on the steeper switchback climbs. But it gives sooooo much confidence pointed downhill and allowed me to hit a couple of drops I'd always skipped on previous bikes.

    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  7. #57
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    After finally getting out on mine today after looking at it shiney new for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to break I can confirm something.

    I've bought an assault weapon.

    The frame combined with the Fox 34 gives so much confidence, at speed through baby heads, or off drops I was loving it. Coming off several years only riding XC on 29ers I didn't notice any dimished rollover ability with this setup. The slacker headangle will take some getting used to on the steeper switchback climbs. But it gives sooooo much confidence pointed downhill and allowed me to hit a couple of drops I'd always skipped on previous bikes.

    Any problem with pedal strikes due to low bb?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  8. #58
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,881
    No matter what you're on Sprain gives plenty of opportunity to pedal strike or exercise your bashguard. I didn't notice it particularly more than normal, more ride time required though.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  9. #59
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,881
    Another ride, 16 miles, 2350ft of climbing.

    I'm so impressed with how well this climbs up sharp little climbs, I cleared a few spots I've always struggled with and some I've never made. No trouble in the slow tech and it continues to impress on the descents and drops, I don't think I've gone off anything more than 4ft yet, but you don't even notice the bike is so good.

    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  10. #60
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Another ride, 16 miles, 2350ft of climbing.

    I'm so impressed with how well this climbs up sharp little climbs, I cleared a few spots I've always struggled with and some I've never made. No trouble in the slow tech and it continues to impress on the descents and drops, I don't think I've gone off anything more than 4ft yet, but you don't even notice the bike is so good.

    Yep!!

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    Has it got that "in the bike" feel? I hate that teetering, perched up high on top of the bike feel in slow tech stuff!

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18
    pic of rear tire clearence anyone?

  13. #63
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,881
    ~15mm either side of a 2.25 Ardent on an Arch EX tubeless.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  14. #64
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Has it got that "in the bike" feel? I hate that teetering, perched up high on top of the bike feel in slow tech stuff!
    This is one of the things that I love about the Burner. Very in the bike feeling, love the corners on this bike!

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    This is one of the things that I love about the Burner. Very in the bike feeling, love the corners on this bike!
    Good to know--Thanks!!

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    Do you guys have the new Fox CTD rear shock on your Burners? That's what I believe is coming on mine--the stock option. Do you ever engage the platform "T" setting, or the locked "C" setting? From what I've read about DW link bikes, lockout and platform valving aren't really necessary for pedaling efficiency.

    Thanks!

  17. #67
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniorphil View Post
    can you take a pic of rear tire clearance? curious how much there is. i am between this bike and the intense tracer 275
    This is with Schwalbe HD tires, one of the larger 27.5 tires available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner, AM 27.5-rear-tire-clearence-1.jpg  

    Turner Burner, AM 27.5-rear-tire-clearence-2.jpg  

    Turner Burner, AM 27.5-rear-tire-clearence-3.jpg  


  18. #68
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Do you guys have the new Fox CTD rear shock on your Burners? That's what I believe is coming on mine--the stock option. Do you ever engage the platform "T" setting, or the locked "C" setting? From what I've read about DW link bikes, lockout and platform valving aren't really necessary for pedaling efficiency.

    Thanks!
    I have played with the T setting a bit and it is nice for some bits of trail, the C is ok on paved climbs. The D setting is nice and plush w/o giving up much of the pedaling efficiency. You will find the right balance of air pressure and compression setting for your terrain and riding style with a little time in the saddle.
    The Fox CTD does feel better on the Burner than the RP23s I have ridden on other bikes in the past.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18
    hey guys thanks for the tire clearance pics. more than i thought there would be

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    I have played with the T setting a bit and it is nice for some bits of trail, the C is ok on paved climbs. The D setting is nice and plush w/o giving up much of the pedaling efficiency. You will find the right balance of air pressure and compression setting for your terrain and riding style with a little time in the saddle.
    The Fox CTD does feel better on the Burner than the RP23s I have ridden on other bikes in the past.
    Thanks for the impressions and advice! I'm excited but a bit nervous about this bike. Always a bit of a gamble buying a bike without a test ride but this bike sounds like just what I've been wanting and worth taking a chance.

  21. #71
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Thanks for the impressions and advice! I'm excited but a bit nervous about this bike. Always a bit of a gamble buying a bike without a test ride but this bike sounds like just what I've been wanting and worth taking a chance.
    Based on my saddle time so far.... I don't see how you could be unhappy with the Burner.
    Last edited by 1soulrider; 01-29-2013 at 04:43 PM.

  22. #72
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    New toy for the Burner waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. Can't wait to mount it up and go ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner, AM 27.5-cc-dba-1.jpg  

    Turner Burner, AM 27.5-cc-dba-2.jpg  


  23. #73
    Dab-O-Matic
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    New toy for the Burner waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. Can't wait to mount it up and go ride!
    That will be awesome, please keep us posted!

  24. #74
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Wow. Every ride gets better on the Burner, trail conditons are prime and the DB Air is just awesome. The way this bike handles on the trail is fricken sweet, I find myself looking for the roughest sections of trail to blast through. The Burner just eats them up and says 'is that all you got?'
    Good times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner, AM 27.5-burner-dba.jpg  

    Turner Burner, AM 27.5-burner-dba-2.jpg  


  25. #75
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    So as I get more time on the Burner I am becoming a believer. The ability of this bike to absolutely destroy the trail is impressive. The handling is plenty playful, the bigger wheels and longer wheelbase do not seem to detract from the nimble feeling ride. I have yet to experience the awkward feeling handling that has characterized every 29er I have spent time on.

    The climbing and cornering traction are noticeably improved over my Spot. The increase in roll over in the rough and chunky is a bit more subtle but noticeable. As I have gotten used to the Burner and learned to trust it I find Iím carrying more speed with more confidence through the toughest sections of trail.

    This leads to wanting to go faster and harder and have more fun. Yesterday I was romping down a particularly fun bit of trail littered with small drops, jumps and rock gardens untill I heard a bad sound. As I landed off a hip jump there was a loud crack from the rear of the bike.

    Looks like Iím off the Burner for a while. The one thing I donít like about the 27.5 wheels is that I donít have any spares. Or enough tires to choose from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner, AM 27.5-lb-rim-2.jpg  

    Turner Burner, AM 27.5-lb-rim-1.jpg  

    Last edited by 1soulrider; 02-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    18
    dam never had nipples pull through like that. what type of rime is that. good to hear you are liking it. seems like burner is what i want just have to sell a few things first.

  27. #77
    Dab-O-Matic
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Looks like Iím off the Burner for a while. The one thing I donít like about the 27.5 wheels is that I donít have any spares. Or enough tires to choose from.
    I told you 650B is no good!

    At this point, do you think the DB is worth the cost difference? BTW, just go with a good carbon wheelset, and life will be better.

  28. #78
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniorphil View Post
    dam never had nipples pull through like that. what type of rime is that. good to hear you are liking it. seems like burner is what i want just have to sell a few things first.
    The Burner is good; the Chinese carbon rims, not so much.

  29. #79
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I told you 650B is no good!

    At this point, do you think the DB is worth the cost difference? BTW, just go with a good carbon wheelset, and life will be better.
    It is too early to say much about the DBA vs the stock Fox ctd. The Fox ctd was the best fox air shock I have ridden to date, it felt so much better than the RP23s of years past. I don't know how much of that is due to getting the tune right for the frame, or maybe the new eyelet bushing system that greatly reduces binding at the mount points, but the shock felt pretty damn good.
    I only have two rides on The DBA and am early in the dialing it in phase of our relationship. That said, I really like it so far. I look forward to getting it tuned just right and I will share the settings with everyone.

    About the wheels - yep enve in my future here.

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10
    Awesome Turner

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,691
    Wow, bummer

  32. #82
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Wow, bummer
    Honestly I knew I was taking a chance on the hoops but wanted to check them out anyway. LB says they will replace the rim and that they are beefing up the spoke bed on the 27.5 hoops to prevent this from happening in the future.
    We will see.
    I am a bit concerned about the undamaged front hoop and will ask if they will replace it with the updated design as well. I'd hate to rip the rim off the spokes in a hard corner or on an off camber landing...

  33. #83
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Do you guys have the new Fox CTD rear shock on your Burners? That's what I believe is coming on mine--the stock option. Do you ever engage the platform "T" setting, or the locked "C" setting? From what I've read about DW link bikes, lockout and platform valving aren't really necessary for pedaling efficiency.

    Thanks!
    Only use C when I'm riding on the road to and from the trails, only use T when I'm pushing on on mellow terrain. Off road I just leave it in D and let the shock and suspension take care of things.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Only use C when I'm riding on the road to and from the trails, only use T when I'm pushing on on mellow terrain. Off road I just leave it in D and let the shock and suspension take care of things.
    Thanks for the good word! I've read that DW is less dependent on platform valving for pedaling efficiency so I'm looking forward to trying it with the various settings...doubt I'll ever use the C setting though the T setting might be useful on some sections/trails.

  35. #85
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Only use C when I'm riding on the road to and from the trails, only use T when I'm pushing on on mellow terrain. Off road I just leave it in D and let the shock and suspension take care of things.
    This has been my experince as well.

  36. #86
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Here is a quick video I tossed together of Burner riding. I had expected to have a lot more footage to edit from but then the wheel failure happened. Still it isn't too bad, it may be almost watchable even.

    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/61052510" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/61052510">Burner Ridin</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user12197206">1soulrider</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    Sorry if I missed it, but can you comment on the CCDB air on this frame vs stock?

    I like my CCDB coil on my DHR and would consider the air for the burner.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

  38. #88
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but can you comment on the CCDB air on this frame vs stock?

    I like my CCDB coil on my DHR and would consider the air for the burner.
    I just don't have enough ride time on the CCDBA to make an informed comparison. I only had two rides on the shock before my rear wheel failed. First impressions are a big thumbs up though.

  39. #89
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    The Spot has been getting a good bit of ride time while I sort my wheel issues. It has been good to get back on 26" wheels for a while, I was having trouble talking myself into riding it as much as I should with the Burner ready to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner, AM 27.5-view-spot.jpg  

    Turner Burner, AM 27.5-ss-spot.jpg  


  40. #90
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    New rear hoop at my door yesterday after work. May be back on the Burner real soon, the Spot has been treating me well but I look forward to riding the Burner again.
    Looking forward to dialing in the CCDBA, barely got any time in on it before wheel issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner, AM 27.5-new-hoop.jpg  


  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    Subscribe

    Thanks for the current detailed feedback, guys.

    Mike

  42. #92
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Subscribe

    Thanks for the current detailed feedback, guys.

    Mike
    That's why I am posting this thread, lots of questions out there. Feel free to ask whatever you like about the bike/wheels...

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    ...Feel free to ask whatever you like about the bike/wheels...
    Thanks for keeping the R in MTBR, 1sr.

    Cost aside, what would be the ultimate wheelset for the Burner? I recently had built a 29er with Enve AM hoops, and I'm really impressed with the performance. They feel something like my 650b Flows, only smoother. I'm thinking Enve XC on a Burner to shave a little weight, but am seeking a trail-centric setup (1x10 or 11). Never owned a 34mm fork, but am entertaining that also.

    TIA!

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    Dunno about "ultimate," but mine will get White Industry hubs laced to Pacenti TL-28 rims by my local shop's wheelbuilder...

  45. #95
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Thanks for keeping the R in MTBR, 1sr.

    Cost aside, what would be the ultimate wheelset for the Burner? I recently had built a 29er with Enve AM hoops, and I'm really impressed with the performance. They feel something like my 650b Flows, only smoother. I'm thinking Enve XC on a Burner to shave a little weight, but am seeking a trail-centric setup (1x10 or 11). Never owned a 34mm fork, but am entertaining that also.

    TIA!
    Depending on your terrain and intended useage I would recomend a enve am wheelset with the Fox 34. Any less would be under gunning the frame IMO. I am looking forward to getting ahold of a 275 Lyric sometime soon, the Burner deserves it.

  46. #96
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,881
    Why the move away from the 34?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Why the move away from the 34?
    I have a 650b Loop I could use, but I can see a 34 being the nazz.

  48. #98
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Why the move away from the 34?
    The 34 is a good fork. However, after riding my Spot with the Lyric up front back to back with the Burner/Fox combo.... the Lyric comes out on top for me. It has a more robust feel on the trail, and although the latest Fox stuff is a big improvment over past years, I perfer the feel of the Solo DH cart to the CTD.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    I am looking forward to getting ahold of a 275 Lyric sometime soon
    Haven't heard about this possibility of a dedicated 275 Lyric although the std. 26" Lyric does fit some 650 tires. Have you heard something is coming?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  50. #100
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Haven't heard about this possibility of a dedicated 275 Lyric although the std. 26" Lyric does fit some 650 tires. Have you heard something is coming?
    Yup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •