mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Trying to upgrade my sons Specialized Pitch

My son is 13 years old and is going to start doing some XC Middle School competitions in the Spring. He presently has a 2015 Specialized Pitch 650b. This is his bike:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/pitch-650b/p/106580

I already had his grandparents buy him some better tires for xmas.

I am thinking of two things that may get him through this season
    1) Fork Upgrade
    2) converting to 1x11

My problem is, I don't even know where to start. It seems different forks fit different bikes, etc. His bike presently has:

SR Suntour XCT 650b, coil/MCU spring, S: 80mm travel, M/L/XL: 100mm travel, preload adjust, 1-1/8"" steerer, alloy lowers, Hi-Ten 28mm stanchions, disc mount

I emailed specialized and they said:

The largest fork you can put on that bike is 110mm of travel and will also need to be QRx100 front compatible.

I know what the 110mm travel is obviously, but what is QRx100? Whenever I look at forks online, they don't seem to list this. Does this frame have any special considerations that only some forks will fit? I am looking to get him a mid level fork in the range of $200-$300. I've seen some fox float 32's in that range. Would like it to be an air fork.

Can anyone give some examples of what this fork might look like or be?

Next question is how hard would it be to convert this bike to a 1x11. Is it possible to do without buying a new rear wheel? Currently his drivetrain looks like this:

BOTTOM BRACKET Square taper, cartridge bearings
    CHAIN KMC X8, 8-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink
    CRANKSET Samox, forged alloy, 3 pc., 8-speed, 42/32/22T, w/ chainguard
    CASSETTE Sunrace, 8-speed, 11-34t
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano ST-EF51, w/ integrated brake lever
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, high mount, bottom swing, dual pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 8-speed
    FRONT HUB Specialized Stout, Hi Lo disc, alloy, double-sealed, ground race, QR, 32h
    REAR HUB Specialized Stout, Hi Lo disc, alloy, double-sealed, loose ball bearings, QR, 32h
    INNER TUBES Standard, Schrader valve
    SPOKES Stainless, 14g
    FRONT TIRE Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 650bx2.1""
    RIMS 650b, disc, alloy, double-wall, pin joint, 25mm inner width, 32h
    REAR TIRE Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 650bx2.1""

I am planning on buying him a new and better bike next year, after he proves that he likes racing and grows a bit more. He is presently riding a size small and barely is tall enough for it, but I think once he has his growth spurt in the next 1-2 years he will settle into a medium.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    QRx100 is the front axle spec, might also say 9mm QR. It needs to have a 1 1/8 steerer also. A new fork might be worth it.

In order to go 1x11 you are going to have to replace the whole drive train before you even figure out if the hub is compatible. Not worth it IMO if you are going to replace the bike next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    11speed cassettes (Shimano, Sunrace, CHEAP NON xd Srams) will fit on his stock rear wheel. BUT, those pitches are what we call "looks like a mountain bike, isn't up for mountain biking" when we sell them. They take a lot more abuse than they should, but they are not top notch performers by any means.

That being said, I'd suggest that he rides it as it is, do the fork ONLY, get like a RockShox XC30 or Recon, Manitou Markhor. He'll develop more skills and he is certainly going to brake things, so just fix/repair what is broken when it arises. More skills will help him appreciate the nicer componentry of the next bike and it will save you more money and resell value in the long run.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This fork is a good candidate/upgrade, it does have a QR (quick release) x100mm option. The 100mm in this case refers to the spacing of the dropouts of the fork. https://www.sram.com/rockshox/produc...taqdehosgucqhs

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks Jason and Grubetown. I am going to order the RockShox Recon and probably be done with it for a while. See how he does with the fork and better tires. Maybe in the future, if he really gets into racing, his team can help him get a discount on a better bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Check into the suntour upgrade program.

turtles make me hot
    I've done stuff just like you're looking to do. The way I would do this is get whatever fork you want that fits the bill. Build a killer wheelset with Bike Hub Store hubs, DT Swiss Supercomps and a nice, light tubeless rim. Even the 1x11 drivetrain.
    When he outgrows this bike, put all the stock stuff back on it and sell it. The tricked out wheels and drivetrain will fit the next bike..
    The hubs will be changeable for QR or thru axle or even Boost.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have a '17 pitch sport.. to be honest, the only upgrades I would do are new tires, handlebars/stem, and MAYBE a single 32t chain ring.

I put a 32t chain ring on mine. And since I don't have a clutch mech, I put a chain tensioner on the chainstay. The 8 gear rear isn't bad depending on the trails. I haven't had any problems with it here in central MN

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Definitely do the tires and set them up tubeless. That'll be the biggest improvement. Make sure you get him dialed in on pressure as well. Make sure the tires are right for your conditions. A liteskin 2.25 rocket Ron speedgrip in the front and a snake skin 2.1 racing Ralph speed in the back is generally a good xc setup for a light tider on varied xc terrain.

If doing the fork I'd do the front wheel also. QR front wheels are pretty flexible. A 15x100 will make buying a fork easier and improve steering. It'll also make keeping the brake working well easier as the axle will be more reliably located in the fork.

I wouldn't invest much in high end wheels expecting to take them to the next bike. Adapting to different axle standards is a bit of a mess and more complicated than it might seem and generally lose the stiffness advantage of wider spacing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk