mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Trek slash 7 2014 drive train and brakes

Hi all,

I d like to know what everyone feels like about the stock drive train and brakes for the slash 7, 2014.
    This bike is on my to buy list, but a bit doubtful about the spec. I'm thinking of replacing the stock crank and rings for an equivalent Shimano slx and the brakes for slx also. What do you all think? Is it worthy? Should I keep any of the stock material and save the money? What do you think of the stock drive train and brakes?

Thank you all.

Enviado do meu Nexus 4 através de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone??

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'd keep it as is. Lots of people like to bash on the Elixir brakes and while I'm not personally a fan of them, they work just fine. Why are you wanting to switch to SLX cranks? I'd imagine weight is about the same between the SRAM and Shimano low to mid range stuff.
    The only thing I'd change out the of the box would be the tires. I haven't ridden Bontrager tires in a few years, but I was less than impressed with the ones that came on my 2010 Remedy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by diogo 2828 View Post
    Hi all,

I d like to know what everyone feels like about the stock drive train and brakes for the slash 7, 2014.
    This bike is on my to buy list, but a bit doubtful about the spec. I'm thinking of replacing the stock crank and rings for an equivalent Shimano slx and the brakes for slx also. What do you all think? Is it worthy? Should I keep any of the stock material and save the money? What do you think of the stock drive train and brakes?

Thank you all.

I just picked up a Slash 7 and have made a few changes to the stock spec. I replaced the drivetrain with a Shimano XT-Zee 1x10 setup that was on my previous bike. I'm not a fan of SRAM drivetrains to start with (except XO1/XX1) and the this setup was no different. X7 shifters are vague at best, the stock cassette is heavy and I've seen plenty of them with broken cogs, and the long cage X9 Type 2 RD couldn't keep the chain on the stock setup I rode on our shop demo of the Slash 7. I knew I would be changing the drivetrain out before I ordered the bike.

After riding the Elixers 5's a few times I decided to give them a chance for now since the power and modulation has been good so far. I am also enjoying the fact that I can setup my left hand reverb remote on a matchmaker clamp with the front brake. I will eventually change the brakes out to a Shimano XT setup with ICE TEC rotors because I prefer the feel of Shimano. A set of SLX brakes would work fine on the bikes well.

I also installed a stealth Reverb dropper post and got my hands on a Fox Factory/Kashima version of the rear DRCV shock. I plan on replacing the stock wheels next to drop some weight but for now I set the stock tires up tubeless on them and will ride them for the time being. The Bontrager XR4's that come stock on the Slash are great times for the rocky and technical riding I do in New York and have been running the 26" version for a while now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Rocco, your build is just incredible.
    From what you tell me, the cassete is a must change. The one ring setup still doesn't convince me, speciall when you only have 10 speed rear cassette. I want to keep the double ring setup. I 'm just not sure if I should keep the stock S1200 crank or replace it with a slx crank double ring, or even go for an XT. IS there a big weight diference?...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by diogo 2828 View Post
    Rocco, your build is just incredible.
    From what you tell me, the cassete is a must change. The one ring setup still doesn't convince me, speciall when you only have 10 speed rear cassette. I want to keep the double ring setup. I 'm just not sure if I should keep the stock S1200 crank or replace it with a slx crank double ring, or even go for an XT. IS there a big weight diference?...
    Thanks.
    Thanks, I'm happy with how it turned out and I can't wait to get out west and ride it next week. The cassette upgrade would be my first move. As for the crank, I think a black XT crank would look great on the bike but you can't get a better value than an SLX crank. Decent weight and plenty stiff for all mountain riding. Hope this info helps and good luck.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    I am just about to order a Slash 7 and here is what I plan to change from stock-

1x10: I'm gonna keep the stock cassette in the interest of money saving and negligible performance increase. I've ridden the snot out of this cassette before and never had any troubles with it. I am going to add a 42t granny with a 34 or 36 up front depending on where I'm riding.To that, I am also going to to add a MRP G3 for chain retention.

Seatpost- Fox DOSS

Brakes- Full Shimano XT, when the money is available, unless Avid has worked miracles with their Elixrs since the last time I owned a pair.

Handlebar- Deity TMo

Saddle- Deity Mainline

Stem- Deity Cavity (I ride for Deity Fresh Blood, can you tell?

Wheels- Spank Oozy

Tires- It'll change with the trails and seasons but I am looking forward to seeing what Bonty has done with their new line of rubber. I've heard good things.

Can't wait to get down on this rig!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Might be a bit off topic, particularly in the money end of things, however here is what I will do to my remedy 9.8. (This is my once in a lifetime bike!!)
    Replacing the stock XT drivetrain with XX1 x 11, including cranks. Fox fork with a Pike 130 - 160. Bontrager wheels with Industry 9 carbon Enduro wheels. XT brakes with XTR. Bar with Easton Carbon Havoc. Kind of what I think is the best of the best. Saddle, probably keep my silverado

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ianinco, that's one hell of a bike build.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would also add that if your spending that much on a bike and then upgrading parts surely you would be better off getting the 8? SLX/XT drivetrain. Just sayin'

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ianinco View Post
    I would also add that if your spending that much on a bike and then upgrading parts surely you would be better off getting the 8? SLX/XT drivetrain. Just sayin'
    Yes, but the Slash 8s & 9s are going like hot cakes from what I've heard so upgrading a 7 might become an increasingly popular option. And that white on black design with the all black pike is so so sexy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    fair enough. true in my case as well. the 9.9 was sold out and i could only order a 9.8

mtbr member
    Why would trek spec the slash 7 with a rockshox pike ($1000) and the slash 8 with a way cheaper fox evolution fork ($600)?
    I would just ride the sram setup. Many of the riders in my bike club use sram cassettes and no one has damaged any cogs, half of the guys race nationally. Only morons who shift under heavy power while climbing will damage their cassette and chain, doesn't matter what brand.
    I have elixir 5s on my full suspension . If you break-in the pads first like your supposed to on any disc brake, it will be noise free. I have zero issues with mine and are super quiet even on long downhills. The elixirs modulate better than the shimano xt.
    I have shimano XT setup on my hard tail, the only thing I don't like about it is that the clutch on the rear derailleur makes for a much noisier drivetrain with the clutch turned on and shifting is much harder. The sram shifts way easier with the type 2 derailleur.
    If I had to choose between shimano or sram/avid, I would take either. It's all about proper setup and break-in. Both will serve you well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Considering XT for my slash 7. It has Elixir 5, 200mm front, 180mm rear.

What rotor size does the Slash 8 come with stock? And what do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what is the weight of slash 8?