mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Trail bike rear tires

What are you guys running for the combinations during the dry months? I've noticed Santa Cruz is shipping bikes with ardent race and cross Mark ii rear with dhf in the front. Are tire combinations like this becoming the new norm?

No good in rock gardens..
    Forekaster 2.35 front, Ardent Race 2.2 here.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 in rear, Hans Damphf front. I think the consensus is grippy front tire and a fast rolling rear for their trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Rock Razor SG rear does it for me. Seems fast wearing though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    DHF front Ardent rear. The Ardent is fine in the dry until the trail is covered in leaves and I'm trying to climb steep hills.

Dream it, Do it.
    Faster rolling rear tire works well with a grippier front tire to provide good cornering grip while reducing rolling resistance where it makes the most difference.

The Nobby Nic has a balance of decent cornering grip with surprisingly good rolling resistance. The DH-R has better cornering grip with rolling resistance that is still decent. We did a comparison test of these two tires and the Purgatory at https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like Ra Ra's, Ro Ro's, and Ikons.

mtbr member
    Nobby Nic snakeskin (27.5x2.35) rear , E-Thirteen trs race (27.5x2.35) front. My home trails are techy singletrack
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo SS Tsc 2.35 = front

Michelin Wild AM 2.35 = rear

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I really liked the Ardent Race I had for a while, the problem is that it was too fragile for our trails, so 215km I damaged the sidewall. Not a hole, but enough damage to not be trusted for tubeless. I've never managed to damage other EXO tyres before.

Cornering, climbing and braking were very good for a tyre with "race" printed on the sidewall. Fast enough for a trailbike, but not XC race fast. Apart from durability, my other gripe was volume, the 2.2 was on the skiny side.

Another rear I liked was the WTB Trail Boss 2.25. True to size, tall profile and faster than it looks. Not the best cornering support from the sideknobs but good enough for the rear. Overall good performance in most condions apart from mud.

Now I'm on a HR2 rear and I like the braking (exceptional) cornering and climbing traction, but boy is it slow. The Magic Mary on the front isn't helping either.

I've ridden with a semi slick rear for a few months too (WTB Riddler) and it was great fun, but a bit limiting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm loving my WTB Breakout 2.3 TCS tough/fast rolling rear and WTB Vigilante 2.3 TCS tough/high grip front combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Pretty happy with my Vigilante 2.3" TCS light/fast rolling front and Maxxis Ardent 2.25" rear. The ardent I just put on and so far I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Having a nice fast rolling rear tire is great, especially for me since I'm kinda lacking in fitness compared to many of the folks I ride with. However, I find that having too much of a disparity in cornering grip between the front & rear tires is not a good thing. While it's generally not disastrous if the rear tire slides out first while cornering, there are also some situations where it can cost a ton of speed or even bring you to a dead stop or crash. For instance, on a narrower hillside trail with a flat or off-camber corner, a front tire like the DHF will track around it just fine while the rear Crossmark slides out and goes off the trail onto the down slope. If you're on the ball you can save it but you'll lose a ton of speed & momentum, if not, you'll come to a dead stop or fall over.

Personally I like to keep the cornering grip reasonably close between the front & back, keeps things predictable so I don't get weird surprises at the wrong time. A DHF with a Minion SS for instance works well, a DHF with an Ardent is kinda scary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Ive been very happy with a dhf front and aggressor rear. Just tossed on a tomahawk rear to try out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bike 1: DHF 2.6"- Front, DHF 2.5WT (Rekon 2.6") - Rear. Might try the Aggressor 2.5WT in Spring
    Bike 2: Rekon 2.8" - Front & Rear; 2nd set-Winter: DHF 2.8" - Front & DHR 2 2.8" Rear
    Bike 3: Rocket Ron 2.6" - Front & Rear
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    For instance, on a narrower hillside trail with a flat or off-camber corner, a front tire like the DHF will track around it just fine while the rear Crossmark slides out and goes off the trail onto the down slope. If you're on the ball you can save it but you'll lose a ton of speed & momentum, if not, you'll come to a dead stop or fall over.
    I've posted here about enjoying that traction disparity. aerius post points out how different our trails are, soft loamy corners do not live where I ride. I sure wish they did! I'd gladly run knobbies on the rear if I had that type of loose. Here it is more like loose-over-hard, more gravel causing a slide than soft soil where knobs would help. That rear slide still costs speed though. Just sometimes I feel it's worth it cause I like the feel of a slide, especially if it works upto a 2 wheel drift.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Having a nice day!
    I have really enjoyed my Vittoria Morsa as a rear tire. The Specialized Slaughter was a similar tire, but I like the volume in the Vittoria better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I've posted here about enjoying that traction disparity. aerius post points out how different our trails are, soft loamy corners do not live where I ride. I sure wish they did! I'd gladly run knobbies on the rear if I had that type of loose. Here it is more like loose-over-hard, more gravel causing a slide than soft soil where knobs would help. That rear slide still costs speed though. Just sometimes I feel it's worth it cause I like the feel of a slide, especially if it works upto a 2 wheel drift.
    I wish I had soft loamy trails too! In my area it's hardpack and loose over hard, then by the middle of summer there's sand and deep blown out moon dust in many places. When the trails are wide enough it's serious fun but on narrower trails it gets a little hairy.

mtbr member
    I have been running 2.5 DHF Minion up front and 2.3 DHR Minion on the rear. That is with DT Swiss XM481 rims, inner width 30mm. Ran Tubeless

Works great for me, year around

Cheers