mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Top 27.5 FS Trail Bikes?

Seems like there is a dearth of info about 29ers on this subject but not so on the 27.5 Trail bikes despite there being some great bikes out there. I'm a taller guy (6-4) and on the fence regarding 29ers...seems like i'm a prime candidate but not sure I want to give up the nimbleness/playfulness of the 27.5. Nevertheless, these seem to be the really nice 27.5 bikes, wondering what I'm missing in my quest for a nice new bike.

Pivot Mach 5.5 (really like the geo, reach, weight, 2.6 tires, DWLink)
    Santa Cruz Bronson (nice bike, I'm not a VPP fan tho)
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Yeti SB5 and Lunch Ride (cool bike, worry a little about rear travel)
    Whyte 130
    Transition Patrol (I don't like the pedal inefficiency with transition)
    Ibis Mojo (love this bike but its freaky short in reach- DWLink so nice)
    Devinici Troy - super underrated bike. Love the DWLink style split pivot
    Intense Spider
    Rocky Mountain Altitude

I've been kind of leaning towards the bikes with a highend suspension, probably DWLink. Mach 5.5 and Yeti SB5 are tops on my list at the moment because they pedal so well, but I haven't fully demo'd them yet either(others from those companies). What else should I really be looking hard at?
    Last edited by svinyard; 02-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Having a nice day!
    I just built up a Spider...which of course triggered monsoon-like rains in the SE. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have it figured out to me.

mtbr member
    I'm only 5-8 but also prefer the "playfulness" of 27.5 bikes, even though I've been riding my Primer in places I never thought I would and it kills it. That being said, you'll probably be fine with all those bikes on your list. I have a 5010 now and previously had the SB5 (not Lunch Ride) and thought the SB5 was more twitchy/playful. It's the only bike I ever regret selling and the rear travel issue is a non-issue.

With Intense's new buyer direct sales model, I'd look hard at Intense's Recluse and Spider. I had the Pivot 5.5 last year and I may be in the minority but while it had traction for days, playful it was NOT!! I sold that thing as fast as I could.

I also thought I preferred the DW Link but maybe it depends on the bike. I had the original Mach 6 which I loved but I cracked the frame and that it how I ended up with the 5.5 from Pivot. I sold that and I've been demo'ing bikes to replace the Mach 6. It came down to the new Intense Tracer vs the updated Mach 6. The Mach 6 with the DW Link climbed smoother on the long grinds but nothing earth shattering and the Tracer was better everywhere else, especially playfulness at high speeds. Point being...you never know until you ride the bikes.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm only 5-8 but also prefer the "playfulness" of 27.5 bikes, even though I've been riding my Primer in places I never thought I would and it kills it. That being said, you'll probably be fine with all those bikes on your list. I have a 5010 now and previously had the SB5 (not Lunch Ride) and thought the SB5 was more twitchy/playful. It's the only bike I ever regret selling and the rear travel issue is a non-issue.

With Intense's new buyer direct sales model, I'd look hard at Intense's Recluse and Spider. I had the Pivot 5.5 last year and I may be in the minority but while it had traction for days, playful it was NOT!! I sold that thing as fast as I could.

I also thought I preferred the DW Link but maybe it depends on the bike. I had the original Mach 6 which I loved but I cracked the frame and that it how I ended up with the 5.5 from Pivot. I sold that and I've been demo'ing bikes to replace the Mach 6. It came down to the new Intense Tracer vs the updated Mach 6. The Mach 6 with the DW Link climbed smoother on the long grinds but nothing earth shattering and the Tracer was better everywhere else, especially playfulness at high speeds. Point being...you never know until you ride the bikes.
    Well said and I'll def be demo'ing bikes but wanted some additional clarity and help in building out my demo list. Your insight was helpful.

Intense is interesting, I haven't given them a ton of look lately but need too. The guys at Outdoorgearlabs.com did completely shred the Recluse and not in a good way. I hate to rely on reviews etc but those guys are so dang trustworthy for everything else, I'm inclined to really value their opinion (best MTB shootout of all time right there).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Well said and I'll def be demo'ing bikes but wanted some additional clarity and help in building out my demo list. Your insight was helpful.

Intense is interesting, I haven't given them a ton of look lately but need too. The guys at Outdoorgearlabs.com did completely shred the Recluse and not in a good way. I hate to rely on reviews etc but those guys are so dang trustworthy for everything else, I'm inclined to really value their opinion (best MTB shootout of all time right there).
    The Tracer didn't "climb well" according to reviews on PB and Vital. Luckily I live 30 miles from Intense and they let me take a out whatever bike I want and have great trails nearby. All I have to say is "different strokes for different folks" because I was faster on the climbs on the demo Tracer than on my 3 lb lighter 5010. I thought I was just spinning along (my climbing style at this stage). Bottom line was that for ME and the way I ride, those reviews were completely wrong.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Having a nice day!
    Hmmm, not knocking them too badly, but any list of best hardtails that doesn't include a Pivot Les loses all credibility with me

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Hmmm, not knocking them too badly, but any list of best hardtails that doesn't include a Pivot Les loses all credibility with me
    No hardtails on here. I updated the title tho to avoid confusion .

mtbr member
    Have you ridden a Patrol?

I demoed one last year and was extremely impressed with the climbing effiency.

You might want to add the Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg to your list too. It's a pretty amazing and versatile bike with excellent climbing manners.

Guerrilla Gravity | Shred Dogg | Info, Geometry, and Specs
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Having a nice day!
    No hardtails on here. I updated the title tho to avoid confusion .
    It was one of their other lists on the bike section of their site.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Have you ridden a Patrol?

I demoed one last year and was extremely impressed with the climbing effiency.

You might want to add the Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg to your list too. It's a pretty amazing and versatile bike with excellent climbing manners.

Guerrilla Gravity | Shred Dogg | Info, Geometry, and Specs
    I haven't demo'd one but I'll have to take another look apparently. I actually meant to put the Scout up there instead of Patrol but yea, glad to hear they climb well. Wish they made a carbon scout, their geo/fitment seems to DEF fit a tall guy in XL. I think their owner may be a tall dude iirc.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Spot Rollik

mtbr member
    I haven't demo'd one but I'll have to take another look apparently. I actually meant to put the Scout up there instead of Patrol but yea, glad to hear they climb well. Wish they made a carbon scout, their geo/fitment seems to DEF fit a tall guy in XL. I think their owner may be a tall dude iirc.
    Odd, Transition used to make a carbon Scout. I really dug the Scout at a demo event and it climbed really well.

Once I tried the Shred Dogg though, I was so blown away that I had to order one.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Odd, Transition used to make a carbon Scout. I really dug the Scout at a demo event and it climbed really well.

Once I tried the Shred Dogg though, I was so blown away that I had to order one.

Transition changed all their geos this year so probabaly wont get the carbon scout until next year (small company). They slackened it out more and added a little rear travel. I have the 2015 scout and it climbs pretty good for the punchy east coast stuff around me. It feels really similar climbing to a 2016 stumpjumper 27.5 comp i demoíed. Going down it really rips, feels like way more travel than it has. Its not the lightest bike though and if you are really concerned with climbing its not really what transition is about. The new ones are heavier and in my opinion maybe a bit over built for a small travel bike but I have not ridden one. The 2017s (including carbon) can be found at a good discount right now and is the geo and weight I think I would prefer on paper on a trail bike (once again havent ridden new ones tho). I dont really like big brand bikes for some reason but the fuel ex was a really good trail bike and definitely climbed better than my scout but Im all about going down. Ymmv

ZEN RIDER!
    Evil Calling
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    2018 Kona Process 153 (Gen 2)- Mtbr.com

Not sure if this fits into your wheelhouse but I'm also a clyde (6'4" / 220) and always had XL frames. Ride New England singletrack which demands a bit more maneuverability so I went 27.5 over 29. Plus...coming from 26" Heckler, the longer slacker geo of the Kona combined with an XL frame and 27.5" wheels would be plenty.

Impressed with climbing ability of this beast despite it's size. Also comes in carbon frame but added cost and minimal weight difference from alu frame has never been worth it to me. I am looking into bars with a bit more rise as well.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    I'm also 6'4" and went with an Intense Spider 275c Expert. I had a 29er before (Niner Rip). I know the industry is pushing 29ers again but I missed the dexterous feel of a 27.5.

The OutdoorGear Lab review is interesting. They seem to hate the Fox Performance fork on the Recluse but don't mind that fork on some of the other bikes. They also reviewed five Santa Cruz bikes?! And only a single bike model from a lot of other bike manufacturers? They reviewed one aluminum YT, what about the rest? And some good contenders left out like Transition, Canyon, and Evil. Does that seem like a bias when they have five Santa Cruz bikes on the review?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the Mojo3 and therefore bias. I'm also 5'5" and ride size medium. Hopefully an XL is a good fit for you. Otherwise you can look to the burlier HD4 which has a longer reach.

Honestly, there are so many good bikes out there it's just best to do as many demo test rides as possible. There is lots of hype around mid and long travel 29ers right now, but that doesn't mean there's not a great selection of 27.5 bikes.

ZEN RIDER!
    Quote Originally Posted by manpurse View Post
    I'm also 6'4" and went with an Intense Spider 275c Expert. I had a 29er before (Niner Rip). I know the industry is pushing 29ers again but I missed the dexterous feel of a 27.5.

The OutdoorGear Lab review is interesting. They seem to hate the Fox Performance fork on the Recluse but don't mind that fork on some of the other bikes. They also reviewed five Santa Cruz bikes?! And only a single bike model from a lot of other bike manufacturers? They reviewed one aluminum YT, what about the rest? And some good contenders left out like Transition, Canyon, and Evil. Does that seem like a bias when they have five Santa Cruz bikes on the review?
    This is a good review & comparison from across the pond:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw9GHy_Wbm0

cool video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7FLeZdsY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiZSqtsqgcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7FaKbjxT-U
    Life in every breath

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLight350z View Post
    It feels really similar climbing to a 2016 stumpjumper 27.5 comp i demoíed
    Not to derail thread but on topic with the Scout. I'm curious how you thought of the SJ overall? I have a newer carbon sj29 ht but the last fs I had from them was a '00 SJ XC FSR! Asking because I patronize an lbs that I've got a couple Giant xc bikes from over the years who also have Transitions and would like to see me move up to a Scout it's just not in the budget. I could look into settling on the base model Trace 3 but I've come across a new alloy '17 SJ Comp which felt better and has better spec at a different shop at a pretty good discount within my budget and a few hundred dollars below the T3.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Honestly, the Bird Aeris gets rave reviews too. I've not actually swung my leg over one yet but apparently they're super sweet to ride. Bronson here and really pleased with that (which probably explains why I haven't ridden an Aeris yet).
    A Mountain Biking Channel You Should Watch:
    http://tothetrail.tv

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a 2016 devinci troy carbon rs a in XL and love it. Ultra-confident on descent, and pretty efficient uphill IMO. I mostly ride socal trails that range from aggressive XC to rocky downhill mixed throughout a ride. It's been a great one-bike-quiver for me.

I'm 6'2", 240lb with long arms and I replaced the stock 35mm stem on my XL frame with a 70mm to achieve a comfortable reach (780mm bars). FWIW.

mtbr member
    My Knolly Endorphin is a couple of years old but in terms of geo and ride quality/handling/performance I'd probably still pick it over the bikes you've listed. It really does cover a huge range and can be built burly or light depending on what you want to do with it.

If Transition made [make] a carbon version of the new Scout then that would be my pick for a mid-travel 27.5" wheeled bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Not to derail thread but on topic with the Scout. I'm curious how you thought of the SJ overall? I have a newer carbon sj29 ht but the last fs I had from them was a '00 SJ XC FSR! Asking because I patronize an lbs that I've got a couple Giant xc bikes from over the years who also have Transitions and would like to see me move up to a Scout it's just not in the budget. I could look into settling on the base model Trace 3 but I've come across a new alloy '17 SJ Comp which felt better and has better spec at a different shop at a pretty good discount within my budget and a few hundred dollars below the T3.
    To be honest, its a really good bike. It was so good I almost bought it instead of building up a scout. With the extra rear travel I'd say its apples to oranges. If I had to nitpick one over the other I'd say the scout was a little more confidence inspiring on the way down. But I live on the east coast with no crazy elevation change so I'm talking 10% of my ride. Other than that they were virtually identical. The scout feels like it has more rear travel than it does, but the stumpy feels like what it should for the travel, and they end up about the same. Pedaled pretty much the same, If you can get a deal on the SJ I say do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Turner Flux.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

NedwannaB
    Thanks for feedback. Only thing now is all the guilt trip I'll get from the Giant shop when I come in for post ride beers....😬

mtbr member
    Best bike on that list regarding everything taken into account....Performance, Durability, Cost and Playfulness is the Devinci Troy hands down. You can find yourself a new or used 2016-2017 Carbon frame for $1,100 and build a dream bike that can handle anything for 3k.

You get a stiff and durable main Triangle and aluminum Chainstay

Good reach numbers and a low seat tube length.

2 Geo positions with the adjustable flip chip....I run a 160mm Lyrik on mine and have a 66.5 HA

425mm chain stays for that ultra playfull rear end

A fantastic progressive suspension feel and the split pivot rear suspension is a dream.
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy
    Trek Emonda SL7

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Best bike on that list regarding everything taken into account....Performance, Durability, Cost and Playfulness is the Devinci Troy hands down. You can find yourself a new or used 2016-2017 Carbon frame for $1,100 and build a dream bike that can handle anything for 3k.

You get a stiff and durable main Triangle and aluminum Chainstay

Good reach numbers and a low seat tube length.

2 Geo positions with the adjustable flip chip....I run a 160mm Lyrik on mine and have a 66.5 HA

425mm chain stays for that ultra playfull rear end

A fantastic progressive suspension feel and the split pivot rear suspension is a dream.
    Bex, thanks for the comment (you the man). I'm definitely interested in the Troy. Many people say what you just did it seems (past posts etc). Cost isn't a big issue, I just want the best I can get for.

That being said, one thing in the back of my mind is the 27.5 for a tall guy. Can anyone articulate the issues I might run into because I'm tall on this wheel size? I do want to get off the ground and want a bike that makes that a bit easier.

Bex, I demoed a Hightower LT and it was just cumbersome and not agile despite fitting relatively well. I'm sure some is the 29er adjustment and maybe I just need to suck it up. I'm definitely interested in more nimble bikes after that. Thinking about Switchblade, the following and then some of these potential 27.5 bikes here.

mtbr member
    Bex, thanks for the comment (you the man). I'm definitely interested in the Troy. Many people say what you just did it seems (past posts etc). Cost isn't a big issue, I just want the best I can get for.

That being said, one thing in the back of my mind is the 27.5 for a tall guy. Can anyone articulate the issues I might run into because I'm tall on this wheel size? I do want to get off the ground and want a bike that makes that a bit easier.

Bex, I demoed a Hightower LT and it was just cumbersome and not agile despite fitting relatively well. I'm sure some is the 29er adjustment and maybe I just need to suck it up. I'm definitely interested in more nimble bikes after that. Thinking about Switchblade, the following and then some of these potential 27.5 bikes here.
    I'm 5'10" with a 32.5" cycling inseam so I'm okay and comfy on either wheel size. I've either demo'ed or owned many of the bikes you listed.

The XL Troy would work for you with a 50mm Stem and 170mm Dropper assuming your 6'4" frame is proportionate.

The one bike I owned and didn't like at all was the Following....Slack STA and unbalanced rear end was a big put off to me for what is supposed to be a trail bike through and through but terribly unbalance. The troy doesn't suffer from these issues even though it has short chain stays. Top Tube and WB length make the bike balanced to the rear really well.

I'm guessing the Switch Blade would be a great choice. I rode the 2018 Altitude and it was a fun bike but didn't climb as well as the others. I owned the Yeti SB5 V1 and it's such a great bike through and through and the new version is even better.

I still go back to the Troy for it being so much damn fun it just makes you wanna ride even when your body and mind might be exhausted.
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy
    Trek Emonda SL7

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the Turner Flux. The best trail bike I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Trek Remedy. It's 150 rear/160 front but from all accounts it pedals and rides much more efficiently than it's travel would suggest. I think the two models that stand out are the 9.8 if your budget allows, it's a pretty dialed spec with a carbon frame, and the Remedy 8 aluminum, which is a lot of bike for around three thousand bucks.

For what it's worth I'm 5-10 and have been riding a 29er but really miss my old 27.5 bike so I'm buying a remedy. The smaller wheels just really suit my riding style.

I'm with stupid
    The Knolly carbon warden on paper looks like a good all arounder. Two geos, decent weight (6.3 lbs) all the reviews I have seen on it put it around quiver killer range.

Honestly the most fun bike I have ridden is the Canfield Riot, Does pretty much everything pretty well. The downside is it is a bit of a heavy bike. My large frame and shock was 8.8lbs but pedals like a dream and rides like a long legged 4x bike on the way down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How big of a deal is it that some if these frames are a lb heavier than some others? Example, the SB5 is 1lb lighter than Troy.

Also Bex, how does the SB5 jump? I'm poor at jumping but would like to get a bike that makes it easier (also looking for a DJ bike for BMX park). Also does the SB5.5 jump well? The switchblade is on my list due to it supposedly being pretty nimble...but I definitely like the weight of those Yeti's. (I'm trying to find a Troy to demo).
    Last edited by svinyard; 02-17-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Keep on Rockin...
    Knolly Endo, by far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Knolly Endo, by far.
    x1000

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I've been looking for a burlier bike than my Spark 940. The Devinci van was here (in Norcal) last weekend, so my son and I tried out Troys and Spartans.

Even though my nearby shop carries Devinci, I just hadn't been drawn to them for some reason. Man, I really enjoyed riding the Troy. Pretty damn perfect bike, especially for our terrain here, which is a little of everything. A well balanced bike that both climbs/peddles and descends well is a necessity, and the Troy sure fit the bill. Just fun everywhere.

And, I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I'm 6'0", and while I like the way my 29er rolls over stuff, the quick and playful 27.5 bike was really cool.

mtbr member
    Im 6'4 215 no gear and love my XL Yeti sb6c. Pedals and climbs well for how much of a bike it is and all smiles on the downs...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" tall and have a 27.5 FS. I tried 29ers, and did not find the good ones (in my case Ibis and Pivot) to lack playfulness or maneuverability at all, I just preferred the one I bought (SB5). I can't believe that, at 6'4", you'd be unable to find a 29er that you'd love....like an SB5.5!
    Whether 275 or 29, many frames now can take up to 2.8" tires. I wouldn't get anything that couldn't easily take a 2.6.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    While heavy compared to the Spider 275c Pro, Evil's The Calling is tough to beat as an all-around badass 27.5" trail/all-mountain bike. I'm 6'3" and ride a large for playfulness but an XL would be prime for the more gnarly stuff I ride.

Here's a comparison with a couple on your list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    NEW Spot Rollik 607. Updates to 557. A little longer, slacker, more travel and designed to fit 2.6 in the rear... nothing on Spots website - yet - as they loaded their just in demo fleet for Sedona MTB fest this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love my Pivot Mach 5.5.

Check out my review...

Pivot Mach 5.5 Review

mtbr member
    I'm on the other end of the size spectrum 5'7" bought a Evil Calling super fun bike. Demoed a lot of different bikes before buying. Never been a 29r fan due to more than likely my vertically challenge self. But I rode a friends Evil Following MB recently ( you can run 27.5 or 29) Super fun bike and the new Knolly Fugitive looks pretty interesting. I almost bought an Endorphin Also very fun. Knolly is changing the spacing on all there bike soon to match the Fugitive. Probably can get a deal on the older ones soon.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    In the same boat as the OP. I'm 5'10 w 32" inseam and looking at several 27.5 bikes.
    Devinci Troy, Yeti SB5, SC 5010, Intense Recluse/Spider. Currently riding a 2015 large Pivot Mach 6 and simply love the bike but new bike syndrome has me shopping. While I thought I wanted a 150mm bike, I rode a large 2018 Ibis Mojo HD4 and it felt weird. Not sure if it was the 2.6 tires or the longer reach or the longer wheelbase but it wasn't what I was hoping for. Maybe I needed a size medium? Regardless, it only affirms that I really want a shorter travel bike 130-140mm. I hadn't considered it before due to lack of reviews but I might give that Troy a good look...
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

Cheesiest
    Iím in the same boat as some posters. I am 5í9Ē and have no problem with 29ers, but like 27.5 wheels better.

Currently, I have a Spider 27.5C and itís the best bike Iíve ever owned. I still want to try a Mach 4 and a Flux.

ZEN RIDER!
    Guppie, I was looking at many of the bikes you are. Initially I was thinking I needed a 6" bike and the Mach 6 and HD 4 were on the top of my list. After reading many comparisons and reviews I am going with the Evil Calling. I like the delta link & my dad's Following has been great to ride when I can.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I just demoed the new Troy. Does everything well, climbs, peddles, and seems to be very capable downhill. Super fun bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seems like there is a dearth of info about 29ers on this subject but not so on the 27.5 Trail bikes despite there being some great bikes out there. I'm a taller guy (6-4) and on the fence regarding 29ers...seems like i'm a prime candidate
    Joking? . . .dearth means scarcity.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...field=#compare
    The top 5 trail bikes Outdoorgearlab chose were 29s. The 29 Hightower LT was a top pick of the 18 Bible.

If the new Evil Following fits that's as playful as you can handle. Not tested by Outdoorgearlab.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAk4DAJdOU

Build either with a Manitou Mattoc Pro IRT fork.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/

Get a second set of 27.5+ wheels/tires for either.

mtbr member
    I've decided to wait another month and see how the reviews stack up for the new Canyon Spectral CF. Looking at the CF 8.0 but wish it came spec'd wit XT brakes drivertrain. This is looking more like an affordable alternative to the Mach 5.5 Will the Troy accept 2.5-2.6 tires??
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    I've decided to wait another month and see how the reviews stack up for the new Canyon Spectral CF. Looking at the CF 8.0 but wish it came spec'd wit XT brakes drivertrain. This is looking more like an affordable alternative to the Mach 5.5 Will the Troy accept 2.5-2.6 tires??
    Agreed, the Spectral looks really promising, too. Not sure if I'm totally comfortable leaving the LBS out of the equation, myself though.

I think I asked the Devinci guys about the Troy tires...they might have said 2.4" max, but not certain.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Another vote for the Spot Rollik 557 or 607.
    I recently got one and was quite reluctant because I couldnít demo the bike, but I got a full X01/ fox factory speced 557 for $3600 shipped. So far Iíve got half a dozen rides in and itís by far the most nimble/flickable and most efficient pedaling yet bottomless feeling full squish bike Iíve ever owned. I love it. And I bet the 607 will be even better with the 2.6Ē rear tire comparability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Still loving my Intense Spider Pro build. Been on the bike for nearly a year and have zero regrets. Upgraded bars and wheels to carbon. Hard to beat the 2016 clearance at Art's. A lot of bike for $3400. Can't believe they are still around.

NedwannaB
    Check out BKXC's youtube vids his brother got one recently to replace his 26" Mach 5.7. Brian and him had a bike build live stream and also a ride together up in Rockville.

mtbr member
    I have had a Carbon Troy for 3 years now and it is a great do it all bike. I cannot find a fault with the bike. I always want to get a new frame and think to myself why, this bike is a perfect for the type of riding I do, which is riding mostly Southern and Central California trails.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you lean more towards something that climbs really well and is good at the tight singletrack but can still get rowdy I really love my GT Sensor Carbon. I stripped all the parts off, sold them, and built it my way and it weighs only 25 1/2 lbs. I know its not for everyone, but for me its perfect. If you like something slacker and longer, I have read the Force pedals really well too, it just isn't like weaving between pine trees as much. But considering the geo in your list, I'm not sure that is an issue for you.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Why would you need DW Link if you're gonna walk your bike up the hill. Not a single pedal stroke in the entire video.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím really interested in the 557 as well but they only have large and extra-large left. I am 5 foot 9 1/2 with average proportions and worried that the large might be too stretched. Whatís your take on the sizing? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeder View Post
    Iím really interested in the 557 as well but they only have large and extra-large left. I am 5 foot 9 1/2 with average proportions and worried that the large might be too stretched. Whatís your take on the sizing? Thanks

I'm 5'9" and have have a med 557. I have a longer inseam than average but I thought the fit was perfect. The 23" top tube is great for me. The reach of 435 is still good, but I could do 420ish easily. I think the large would be a little too big but of course it's personal preference. I'm actually thinking of selling my med to get get a small frame. Hope that helps! By the way the living link suspension is so grippy and poppy. It's really fun and works really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks c-dale. Iíve been riding a medium diamondback for the last three years and Iíve always felt a bit cramped. Iím thinking that possibly my torso maybe on the longer side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Picked up a 2017 Giant Trance Advanced 1 on end of season closeouts, fantastic 27" full suspension trail bike, very light and playful, comes with carbon rims too. All the big online reviewers ie PB, Flow and others give it great reviews.

That being said the 2018 version is supposed to be even better coming with even wider carbon rims at a price that most competitors can't touch.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Iím 5í11Ē on a large 557 with a 150mm dropper I had to slam the post all the way down to be able to use the full travel of the dropper post. Reach is perfect, stand over is perfect too with the seat fully extended. I have a 32Ē inseam any less and I would need a medium OR 125mm dropper post. I actually tried a 125 dropper and then swapped back to 150mm, got thicker shoes and all is good. If you buy the large I would probably have spot swap the dropper to a 125mm right off the bat to be safe. Everything else I think should fit you fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks supafly. That would be nice if they would be willing to switch the dropper post to 125. At the price theyíre selling Iíd be surprised if they would make any changes. Do you think a shorter stem in length would be necessary?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks supafly. That would be nice if they would be willing to switch the dropper post to 125. At the price theyíre selling Iíd be surprised if they would make any changes. Do you think a shorter stem in length would be necessary?
    Paul from spot sent me a fox transfer 125mm to try after I bought mine. Im willing to bet he would be willing to pop that on for you in place of the 150 straight from their shop. As for the stem mine fits good at 60mm. Iíd prefer 50mm but itís not really needed for me at least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks again supa, this is the input Iím needing to make it happen. All in all was the 557 everything you were wanting and expecting?

mtbr member
    I would put a DB Release on your list, if your looking for best bang for your buck and Giant Trance.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks again supa, this is the input Iím needing to make it happen. All in all was the 557 everything you were wanting and expecting?
    No problem. Iím still tweaking it, but yes I like the bike a lot. Still figuring out tire choice and suspension setup. But it gets better every time I get it closer to dialed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I would put a DB Release on your list, if your looking for best bang for your buck and Giant Trance.
    That bike is garbage..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    That bike is garbage..

Really? I dont own one, but watch a lot of Seth bike hack vids and he really beats the snot out of that bike.

Any way if I was a consumer and was going to buy a new bike I would make sure it is a little future proof. The ability to run the bigger 2.5 and 2.6 with 30mm rims would be on top of my list. I know DB,Ibis,Pivot and Canyon mark those boxes. A LBS near me does have a 5010 set up with Minion front and rear with 2.6 tires but the room is really close, but it can be done and no worse than my buddys MoJo with 2.6 on ibis 738 rims.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That bike is garbage..
    The Trance isn't so bad.

The Release is a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    The Release is a fantastic bike.
    Too bad Giant didn't make that bike lol

mtbr member
    Why all the hate on the Trance 2? My buddy has one and for the price I don't see how you can beat it? Educate me!
    My Noob MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a 16 Devinci Troy on 30mm ID wheels and Maxxis 2.6 on with room to spare. Pics posted in the 16 Devinci Troy page on the Devinci Forum. Don't think you can go above 2.6 on the rear though. Officially the Troy accepts 2.5 according to Devinci's site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogy View Post
    Why all the hate on the Trance 2? My buddy has one and for the price I don't see how you can beat it? Educate me!
    Its priced appropriately. Its not a budget bike, and the price reflects that. A trance with a crappy build is still ~$2500.

Its a fantastic bike. I dont think anyone is saying its a bad bike.

mtbr member
    What do people think about the Django 27.5?
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    We donít ....

mtbr member
    SC 5010 ftwTop 27.5 FS Trail Bikes?-20180421_132705.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its priced appropriately. Its not a budget bike, and the price reflects that. A trance with a crappy build is still ~$2500.

Its a fantastic bike. I dont think anyone is saying its a bad bike.
    It's because it's garbage if it's not at least $5500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That bike is garbage..
    Poor form...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Calling is the first 27.5 bike that caught my attention, though I am sure there are a few other fantastic 27.5 bikes out there. Too bad Evil makes their BBs lower and lower. That pretty much kills it for me. I'm going to make a list of 27.5 bikes in that 130-140 range that pedals/climb well and do not have a really low BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadae View Post
    It's because it's garbage if it's not at least $5500.
    So true. The last great deal I remember was buying the 2010 Specialized Stumpy Pro for under $2K and I gotta admit it was probably my favorite bike that I've ever ridden. It just did everything great all around and felt light and nimble. Then the world went to shit when 29/27.5 wheels came about a few years later. Things were so simple and peaceful when it was only 26 wheels... Oh did I mention I'm loving my new 5010 carbon in that sick ass blue ink color?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So true. The last great deal I remember was buying the 2010 Specialized Stumpy Pro for under $2K and I gotta admit it was probably my favorite bike that I've ever ridden. It just did everything great all around and felt light and nimble. Then the world went to shit when 29/27.5 wheels came about a few years later. Things were so simple and peaceful when it was only 26 wheels... Oh did I mention I'm loving my new 5010 carbon in that sick ass blue ink color?

That is indeed a nice color. A shop near me has a 5010 carbon in that color, but then I saw how much it was.

mtbr member
    That is indeed a nice color. A shop near me has a 5010 carbon in that color, but then I saw how much it was.
    Yup it's way overpriced. Paying for the Santa Cruz hype and I drank the 5010 koolaid. But I plan on keeping this bike for at least 5-6 years so I wanted it to my last great MTB

Having a nice day!
    SC 5010 ftwClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_132705.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1194413

Nice looking bike. I debated the 5010 before I purchased the Spider as Competitive Cyclist had them for a good deal. Fortunately Intense had the spider as a much better deal and they were so similar I decided to go that route. I'm skipping the Santa Cruz demos as I don't want to know what I might be missing That said, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Spider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    The Calling is the first 27.5 bike that caught my attention, though I am sure there are a few other fantastic 27.5 bikes out there. Too bad Evil makes their BBs lower and lower. That pretty much kills it for me. I'm going to make a list of 27.5 bikes in that 130-140 range that pedals/climb well and do not have a really low BB.
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred dog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Nice looking bike. I debated the 5010 before I purchased the Spider as Competitive Cyclist had them for a good deal. Fortunately Intense had the spider as a much better deal and they were so similar I decided to go that route. I'm skipping the Santa Cruz demos as I don't want to know what I might be missing That said, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Spider.
    I bought a Spider, and demoed the 5010. Spider is a more fun bike for me, quicker, poppier. Santa Cruz bikes have a neutral feel to me.

mtbr member
    Yup it's way overpriced. Paying for the Santa Cruz hype and I drank the 5010 koolaid.
    Compared to direct to consumer brands but SC compares really well to other dealer brands once you get to the carbon frames. Especially when you consider how many carbon frames have an alloy rear, press fit BB, poor cable routing, can't fit a decent length dropper, etc. My wife is considering the 5010 after a parking lot ride. She's trying to line up a demo now.

Having a nice day!
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I bought a Spider, and demoed the 5010. Spider is a more fun bike for me, quicker, poppier. Santa Cruz bikes have a neutral feel to me.
    Good to know! Yeah, it is a fun bike indeed. So many good choices these days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5 140mm/140mm

I have one. It's pretty fun and balanced with good pedaling. It has a steep seat tube, but 68 degree head angle. I'm in primitive east coast single track and it does well. For me, fast rolling tires really help unlock the bike and make it more fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I still want to know why that guy said a giant trance is crap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was really drawn to the Spider. I just wish they made one size smaller with a shorter reach. The reach on the small is pretty long for someone with short torso.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    As they say that's just cray-cray. Sweet Trailbike, stable AND responsive. One thing to always remember is set-up. I'll add to what ashwineral says about his Kona above, get the correct tires for your conditions, cockpit choices for your tastes, and correct (for you) psi in all 4 spots, and you've changed any bike. Many people here will slam the Maxis Ardent, but on my trials at my speeds it rolls fast and when it starts to let go you get warning. I've tried a few others but none work out better for me.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Opinions are like aholes, everyone's got one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    As they say that's just cray-cray. Sweet Trailbike, stable AND responsive. One thing to always remember is set-up. I'll add to what ashwineral says about his Kona above, get the correct tires for your conditions, cockpit choices for your tastes, and correct (for you) psi in all 4 spots, and you've changed any bike. Many people here will slam the Maxis Ardent, but on my trials at my speeds it rolls fast and when it starts to let go you get warning. I've tried a few others but none work out better for me.
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about the DB release. People like to hate on DB. Trance is a solid bike and most people i know tend to agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about the DB release. People like to hate on DB. Trance is a solid bike and most people i know tend to agree.
    you're proly right but still why say such a thing. If he's had bad experience while on a demo then make it clear.
    I just watched this bitch'n edit of DB. Not sure what model, but it looks like another sweet Trailbike.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/must-w...-epic2018.html
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure I want to make the leap back to alloy frames...need to think about that a bit. BBs seems to be about the same as the Evils and others. Bikes look interesting but will have to ride one soon to see how they climb smooth and tech trails and how they do around switchbacks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Opinions are like aholes, everyone's got one?
    And they stink.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a Canyon Spectral, it's a real good bike and for the price dare I say the best bargain bike out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    SC 5010 ftwClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180421_132705.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1194413

I've ridden a bunch of bikes, and I'm inclined to agree.

The Pivot Mach 5.5 is surprisingly playful, but the 5010 feels faster from the saddle.

I didn't time myself on the same courses though.