mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Suspension versus Weight. What to do?

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a Norco Range, but will be stripping and rebuilding it as soon as I get it. Here's my question:

If I get the Carbon 7.2 I will have to keep the stock fox evolution suspension.

If I get the Alloy 7.2 I can afford upgrading suspension to RS pike and monarch plus.

Either rig will be rebuilt with ztr flow laced to cking hubs, full xt, tompson stem and easton havoc carbon bars.

So which route would you go? Carbon frame to shave some weight or better suspension... This will be my only trail bike and I do mostly aggressive all-mountain riding.

Thanks for the input in advance... I'm stuck!

Cheers,
    cf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcb12 View Post
    If I get the Alloy 7.2 I can afford upgrading suspension to RS pike and monarch plus.
    cf
    ^^^this. I'd rather have quality suspension on a AL frame than the other way around.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I ride bikes
    I assume you are looking at the 2014 model? I think the 2014 fox 34 is pretty awesome. I think the pike is better, but with the carbon model Range, you get better spec top to bottom. Also, there are more benefits to carbon than just being lightweight. If you are sold out on the Pike, then I guess you have your answer, but I think the 2014 fox models are much improved.
    Either way, carbon or aluminum, you will be happy. Throw a dropper on it and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Agreed, first fit a dropper into your budget. If you have any sort of varied terrain, you'll end up using it as much as you shift. Absolutely get that.

I thing either fork should be "good enough". It would come down to the rear shock. If you do a lot of smooth riding, the Float should be fine. If you ride places with rough bony descents, the Float tends to get in over its head a little. Personally I don't thing it has much of a place on aggressive 160mm bikes. In addition to the Monarch Plus, consider the X-Fusion Vector Air HLR (and the CCDB or Float-X if the budget allows).

From what I've read, the X-Fusion Sweep (that's on the Range 7.2 Alloy) actually is a really nice fork. It supposedly compares very very well to the Pike (though perhaps slightly less stiff, 34mm vs 35mm stanchions). I couldn't tell you myself for it feels, but for what it's worth I did just order one (it gets here Friday). It should be a bit superior to a non-Kashima Fox 34.

So, if it was my bike, I'd try to get the carbon frame, a dropper post, an upgraded rear shock, and whatever fork fits in the budget (in order of preference: Pike, Sweep, Fox 34).

Another option is to upgrade after the fact. Buy the frame and upgrade the shock when the money's available, perhaps off the used market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    You can upgrade a fork or rear shock a lot easier and cheaper than a frame. Go carbon and upgrade in time. That's my $ .02

mtbr member
    I would say get the carbon frame, ride the stock suspension for a while and save to upgrade the fork. The 2014 Fox stuff is not bad, but not as good as the Pike. You are much less likely to upgrade the frame later on, but parts come and go like the wind.

Wrench
    None of those upgrades will make you a better rider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    None of them will, but they may make your experience more comfortable and probably more enjoyable. For most of us, we're not sponsored riders, so fun should be priority number one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It's my sense that weight savings is not the primary benefit of a CF frame stiffness is. I saved almost no weight going from one well-loved frame to its CF version, yet it's a completely different bike (admittedly for more reasons than frame material). Stiffness and dampening properties are more than noticeable. My other bike is a portly 29-lb CF trail bike with a component spec that includes Flows and x11.

I think strength could be a factor. The Santa Cruz CF/alloy frame destruction video was reassuring, if not exactly 1:1 with real-world stresses.

As much as CF can make a diff in a frame, I think the material benefits performance even more in wheel application.

I don't think I answered your question... It seems wrong to be on a budget, then buy a bunch of parts you know you're going to take a beating on. Can you not be more selective and take a little time sourcing used or clearance gear that will enable a more economical and superior build? Seems like there are numerous possibilities for bikes in the category you mention.

Still no answer... Good luck, man!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Like people have said, I'd go carbon frame because the fox suspension will be plenty good at first and you can save up and upgrade the suspension later if you still feel it is necessary.