mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Stumpjumper 29 low gear

I recently upgraded to a stumpjumper 29 evo. While this bike is superior in almost every way to my 26, the low gear is not as low as the 26. Clearly if the same gearing is used, the 29" wheel will travel farther, but I would think that manufacturers would have compensated for that. Spinning up extremely steep terrain is definitely more difficult and there are sections that I spin out on that I would maintain traction with my 26.

Ive changed the small ring to a 22 tooth and the cassette is the largest SRAM makes for the system. Is there anything else I can do to lower the gearing?

mtbr member
    1x11 with a 42 tooth rear cassette or one of these 42T Giant Cog for Shimano ? wolftoothcomponents.com. Also look for the Leonardi Factory General Lee cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by K6rick View Post
    I recently upgraded to a stumpjumper 29 evo. While this bike is superior in almost every way to my 26, the low gear is not as low as the 26. Clearly if the same gearing is used, the 29" wheel will travel farther, but I would think that manufacturers would have compensated for that. Spinning up extremely steep terrain is definitely more difficult and there are sections that I spin out on that I would maintain traction with my 26.

Ive changed the small ring to a 22 tooth and the cassette is the largest SRAM makes for the system. Is there anything else I can do to lower the gearing?
    Might get more responses posting in the 29er forum instead of the 650B one.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    [QUOTE=K6rick;10975860 Is there anything else I can do to lower the gearing?[/QUOTE]

Rather than look at modifying the bike why not look at working on fitness and strength? It sure works out cheaper than dropping some coin on mods.
    The more riding time you put in on the bike the easier it will be to pull the taller gearing.
    I reckon you should just suck it up and do the work - 2 months from now you will be laughing thinking that you needed to change the gearing, your body will adapt and get stronger.

Wrench
    What the hell are you climbing that a 22/36 can't handle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    What the hell are you climbing that a 22/36 can't handle?
    I'm guessing unfit NooB who hasn't put in the work yet rather than 5 mile long 45 degree inclines : )

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163 View Post
    I'm guessing unfit NooB who hasn't put in the work yet rather than 5 mile long 45 degree inclines : )
    I'm not here to poke fun or make assumptions.

However, I did tour divide back in 2011, and my lowest gearing was 22-32. Which included some instances where I was climbing for 4 hours straight.

I've done rode climbs that get up to 15 to 17 % grade. That's out-of-saddle grinding steepness. And my CX bike is 34-30 as my lowest.

OP, where are you riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I'm not here to poke fun or make assumptions.
    I'm not either, my point was that I have met newer, relatively unfit riders who simply have not ridden for long enough to develop a level of fitness where the accepted standard lowest gearing is low enough for them to climb to steepest local trails.
    All it takes is time and hard work to get their fitness up, rather than look for a "short cut'

mtbr member

Assuming your 26" bike had a 22T up front and a 34T in the back, (and assuming you are using a 36T rear on your 29er), you are correct that even with the change to 22T on front of the 29er, your 'gear-inches' are not the same as your 26" bike. 22/36 on a 29er with size 2.2 x 29 tire is gear-inches of 17.6in (development of 55.2in). 22/34 on a 26er with size 2.125 x 26 tire is gear-inches of 17.1in (development of 53.9in). This trend follows on the other cassette gears, so you are correct that your 29er has slightly higher gear ratio and is slightly harder to pedal in each gear vs. your 26er.

While the differences are close and others here say to just get in better shape, there may be climbs that you did in 'Granny-3' on your 26er that you are finding harder to make in 'Granny-3' of your 29er (and you'd rather not drop down to 'Granny-2' to make the climb). I noticed the same thing when I started out on 29ers. As I was riding 29er alternately with my 26er bikes, I wanted the 'gearing to be equal', so the same leg effort in same gear selection yielded the same results.

I found a guy on Ebay selling 21T front 64BCD chainrings. A 21/36 on a 2.2x29 tire yields gear-inches of 16.8in (development of 52.7in), which yields gearing slightly lower (i.e. 'easier') than the 26er. I'm running the 21T with 11-36 cassette on my Giant Anthem X 29e 2. Works great and the gearing is 'closer' to the 22/34 of my 26er bikes.

So to answer your question "is there anything else you can do to lower gearing", yes, you could try the $25 experiment of a 21T (if your crank takes a 64mmBCD chainring).

Chain Ring Sprocket Mountain 21T Tooth 64 BCD Stainless | eBay