Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spot Rollik 607

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ive been riding my rollik in a few bike parks lately and i feel like i have the rear suspension perfect.

Im ruujing a 0.86 volume reducer in the rear with 110% of my weight in psi in the shock. Ive had it off jumps, drops, and big chunky sections, and i still haven't bottomed it out. Ive got about 2% left in the stroke after a hard day at the bike park and thats right where i want to be. It rides better like this than 120% of my weight with the 0.6 spacer.

Last week a buddy and i rode deer valley in park city, UT. It was the perfect bike for that terrain. It handled the double black diamonds so well, and i never felt like i needed more travel. I love the way this thing corners when things get tight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mine feels lighter than my 2016 bronson, but thats just a seat of the pants scale. I haven't weighed my bikes in years. Weight is usually the last priority when i upgrade my bike. Aside from my hubs, my bike should be pretty light.

Im sure theres a lighter dropper than a bike yoke revive, but its so reliable, smooth, ans well built that i dont mind. Same for my onyx hubs and my 2.6 tires.

I can barely tell the difference when my water bottle is full vs empty on my bike. That being said... now im curious to throw it on a scale and see what it weighs.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Ive been riding my rollik in a few bike parks lately and i feel like i have the rear suspension perfect.

Im ruujing a 0.86 volume reducer in the rear with 110% of my weight in psi in the shock. Ive had it off jumps, drops, and big chunky sections, and i still haven't bottomed it out. Ive got about 2% left in the stroke after a hard day at the bike park and thats right where i want to be. It rides better like this than 120% of my weight with the 0.6 spacer.

Last week a buddy and i rode deer valley in park city, UT. It was the perfect bike for that terrain. It handled the double black diamonds so well, and i never felt like i needed more travel. I love the way this thing corners when things get tight.
    Dang I wish I would have been up there that day. I have a season pass and have not seen another 607 there. I love my Rollik also at DV. It handles everything so well. Its always giving me a perma grin. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    IIl be riding dv at least once more this month. The 607 handled fireswamp like a champ.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    IIl be riding dv at least once more this month. The 607 handled fireswamp like a champ.
    Drop me a note when you go. Maybe we can hook up for a few laps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How is this bike climbing chunky trails? Here in the NE, smooth isn't prevalent at all...
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

Still chuggin' along
    +1
    Lots of tight, rooty,trails with steep but short ups and downs.
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Its fantastic for that. I know the ne has a lot of short punchy, chunky climbs. So does the west. Its fantastic for that style of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Steve. Two hesitations buying unseen (and I know you are against it, as am I though I have before with my current ride of 3 years).

1) is the seat tube angle. On my Bucksaw I find I run the seat all the way to the back out of comfort in relation to the B.B. but in reality the distance to the bars might be playing a role with that. Salsa MTBs run small.

2) is feeling every single wrinkle on the trail. I dont know enough about why that is and if thats something that can be tuned out at the fork, within reason. I know tire volume and pressure can help, but right now i have too much tire and not enough acceleration. Yes, the rider is in need of losing 5 lbs and is hell bent to address that, but any education on the smoothing out would be great.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jester7677; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I totally get it. Ask as many questions as possible, im happy to share my experiences.

I like the steeper sest tube angle. It keeps the front wheel down on climbs.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As a point of information, they seem to be sold out on all sizes except small currently. Paul said he expects stock in Sept.

Still chuggin' along
    Yes, except frame only or 4 star build. I wish they had a 3 star build, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been playing the game of "what would a 3 star build look like?" Pretty fun game!

I REALLY like how SPOT specs their bikes. I don't think anyone specs bikes better. Santa Cruz comes in a close second (with good tires on every build). Aside from rotor size and a high engagement hub, I feel like SPOT's builds are perfect out of the box. I love the high end dropper they spec (that bikeyoke revive is hands down the best dropper I've ever used. Super reliable too). I love the suspension they choose, incredible cockpit/bars/stem/headset. They put money into specs that matter, and save where it's less apparent (GX Eagle, etc.). Even the tires that come on the SPOTs are great (though I'm generally more of a maxxis man).

A 4 star rollik is $4600. The most equivalent bike in Santa Cruz's lineup would be an S+ bronson at $5200 (and the Rollik is still specced a lot better).

The closest thing to a 3 star SPOT build would be similar a bottomm of the barrel R+ C Bronson ($4400).

This is a fun exercise, to imagine what a 3 star build would look like. Maybe something like this:

- NX eagle, NX cranks, shifter
    - Fox 34 performance or a Yari
    - cheap grips
    - Raceface aeffect dropper (not nearly as reliable as the bikeyoke revive)
    - raceface arc 30 wheels with novatec or sram hubs (which have issues)
    - raceface alloy bars 31.6mm diameter
    - cheap saddle
    - cheap tires
    - SRAM guide T brakes (yuck)

I'd guess that would put it 1-2lbs over the current weight of a 4 star and maybe $500-700 cheaper. This is all just a guess. Maybe $3900 for a complete? If so, that would be a great price for a complete spot, but if it were my bike, I'd end up replacing brakes, seatpost, tires, rear wheel/hub, and I'd feel like the bars/stem/cranks were pretty cheesy. But that's just me. It might put it in some people's budget, which is always a good thing.

Last year I bought a SC Chameleon with the R+ Spec (pretty much the above spec) and I've spent over $1500 upgrading it, and it's still got cheesy parts. It was the best build at the time, but I wish they had offered the 4 star build with my chameleon. I think the 4 star and 5 star builds are the best bang for the buck.

Personally, I think spot nailed it with the 4 star spec. Even the grips are good on these bikes. That never happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    With their current labor day sale, the mayhems are now at 3 star pricing with a 4 star build. A complete 4 star for under $4k is amazing. That's $200 more than Yeti's new SB150 FRAME.

Still chuggin' along
    that's a great deal!! AND, they have a small matte hot tomato! Believe it or not, I'm still using my Avid Juicy's on my Turner XCE and I'd like to believe they really do have longevity in mind.I haven't ridden 27.5s yet but the 29er I tested (Niner Rip 9) did surprisingly well, very nimble (except for the brakes; I didn't care for the Guide Rs).

Still chuggin' along
    So, I just re-watched your wife's "first impression" of the Mayhem. And congrats on the new baby! How exciting!! I hope she's feeling well! I'm wondering how the 27.5 Mayhem compares to the Mojo 3 and 5010. My LBS won't have a 5010 until October to try and the closest Ibis dealer is too far away for a demo and they won't be near me for demo events until the end of Sept. ...after this sale is over, so I'm flying by the seats of my pants on this. Can you put 2.3 tires on the plus rims? Did your wife notice much of a difference in nimbleness between the Mayhem and Rollik? And does the Mayhem prefer to be planted or does it like being in the air, the way the Mojo 3 is described. I like to pop off roots and rocks and take harder lines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. All 4 are great bikes.

To me, the mayhem feels closer to a ripley than a mojo 3, but its more fun than a ripley (and more efficient too). The mojo 3 is super fun with those smaller wheels and tiny chainstays.

The mayhem is a really fun bike. Not as fun as the rollik in corners and jumps, but still fun. Its the most efficient bike of the bunch. I would pick it for xc, trail, and long days.

Mojo 3, rollik 607, and 5010 are a bit more playful with that super short chainstay. So slashing corners, hitting jumps, and wheelies/manuals will be more fun on those.

The mojo 3 is a super cool bike, especially for people who ride at intermediate or novice speeds. Once you start pushing your speed downhill and charging more aggressively, the mojo 3 starts to get a little out of its element. You'll be hard pressed to find the limit of the rollik 607 unless you're at a lift shuttled bike park hitting 10 foot drops.

I wouldn't recommend putting 2.3 tires on plus rims. Theyd be great on something 25-30mm wide though.

Yes, my wife and i both noticed a big difference between the mayhem and rollik. They have a similar suspension feel, but the rollik is a lot more playful to me due to the geo and shorter chainstays.

If you're over 5'9", you may love the mayhem's medium chainstays. Since my wife and i are short , we can maneuver the rollik a lot better.

The mayhem does fine in the air. it'll handle a playful rider well. Its only limitations on playfulness are the 440 chainstays.

If you like to pop off roots and rocks and take harder lines, i would really take a hard look at the rollik. Deoending on where you ride and how choppy it is, the rollik would be worth the extra $600 even though its not on sale. I recommend buying the right frame for your riding style, not just whats on the biggest discount.

If the rocks you ride are cantelope size or bigger, id look at the rollik. If the rocks and roots are smaller than a softball, id go with a mayhem, mojo 3, or 5010.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    As someone who owns all four bikes that you're asking about, I generally agree with Steve's assessment above. If you want to read more about the comparison, here are a couple blogs I published earlier in the year. Note- I don't run anything with plus tires on our demo bikes.

Bike Review: Spot Mayhem 509 29er – Chasing Epic Mountain Bike Adventures

Closer Look: Spot Rollik 607 – Chasing Epic Mountain Bike Adventures

I wouldn't hesitate to ride either the Rollik or the Mayhem on a 30+ mile epic in the Colorado mountains. And I also wouldn't hesitate to ride either of them on the Whole Enchilada in Moab. In fact, I've done both on both bikes and I have no complaints. The Rollik is surprisingly efficient for being a bigger 27.5" bike, and the Mayhem (with a 140 fork) is an amazingly stable trail bike you can ride all day long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im glad you chimed in. I agree with everytging you said in those reviews. They're extremely well-written.

Ive only owned the 5010 and the rollik. My time on a mojo 3 and mayhem is limited. Your experience is always helpful. Im going to stsrt pointing people to your reviews when they ask about this bike.

I agree about the mayhem being a little tricky to dial in the rear suspension. There are some bikes that feel like they have more or less travel than stated. For example, an evil folliwing mb feels like way more than 120mm. A pivot mach 5.5 feels like way more than 145mm. A nronsom v2 feels like less than 150mm. The spot mayhem feels like exactly 130mm. I wont be mistaking it for a 150mm bike.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:21 PM.

Still chuggin' along
    Thanks so much for your guys' help. I'm only 5'4" female, quickly approaching 50 so, this might be my last bike. I couldn't pass up the sale so, I've got a 29 Tomato Mayhem on the way :-) Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    I agree about the mayhem being a little tricky to dial in the rear suspension.
    Absolutely. I've found that with the suspension design, it's MUCH better to start with lower air pressure than too much. If you err on the high side, the bike rides like a hardtail. But I've found the sweet spot to be about 80% of body weight for both myself and my riders. That said, I also like using the climb switch on my rear shock, so it allows me to have a little bit stiffer setup on the climbs when I use "Climb" and "Trail".

Back to the regular posts about the Rollik- a super fun bike in its own right!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Spot just sent me the new volume spacer for the dpx2, the 1.02mm. What are people running for set-ups with the new spacer? 100%, 110%, more?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Run 30% sag and fine tune from there. The volume spacer will only affect the rampnup at the end of the stroke. Im running 110% with the 0.86 volume spacer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    Spot just sent me the new volume spacer for the dpx2, the 1.02mm. What are people running for set-ups with the new spacer? 100%, 110%, more?
    I installed the 1.02 yesterday and ran 95% today ~30% sag. Primo . Rode at Soquel Demo all day... Lots of climbing, fast flow trails and decent sized drops and never bottomed out. Came about 10mm close, but never did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    thanks for the replies guys, i will start with 95-100% and go from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DougA View Post
    As a point of information, they seem to be sold out on all sizes except small currently. Paul said he expects stock in Sept.
    Now November. (Sigh) No worries tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougA View Post
    Now November. (Sigh) No worries tho.
    For what its worth, Ill have my demo Rolliks for sale in October. Ive got two mediums, a large and an XL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I hear santa cruz has a similar problem with shipment dates getting pushed back. I heard a rumor that sram is the holdup and hasnt been able to get manufacturers the components they need in time. Who knows if there's any truth in that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123