mtbr member

Specialized is about to crack!

Just ordered my first 650b tires from Specialized today. Was surprised to see them sell 650b tires before actual 650b bikes, but that makes sense considering they spec their bikes with their own tires and want them available for when they do release a 650b bike.
    I talked to my LBS today and there was a Specialized rep with him who made it sound like 650b Specialized bikes will be announced soon.
    So, any predictions on which models get the 650b first? I am going to guess that the Stumpjumper will be their flagship 650b model and maybe the Camber and Enduro. I would guess the Epic stays only 29.
    What do you guys think? Any bold predictions?

Here is info on their new 650b tires.
    Hot News: Specialized Rolls-Out Mid-Sized 27.5-Inch/650b Tires | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    I would think the Enduro to match up against everybody else's "enduro" rigs. Only reason they might not go there would be to not steal too many customers away from the Enduro 29.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Only reason they might not go there would be to not steal too many customers away from the Enduro 29.
    I am told by people who have their ears to the ground that Specialized will release details of early release 2015 bikes around May

How ever "Steal customers away from the Enduro 29er"
    I'm amazed they managed to sell one! I am seriously surprised at the positive reviews some of the press gave it.
    I rode the thing as a demo, I could not wait to give it back - I absolutely hated it, tall and barge like it was. I have spent a fair bit of time on my mates 2012 S-Works 26 inch Enduro, that's a nice bike. A 650b Enduro makes sense but my personal opinion is that 160mm travel and 29 inch wheels don't work, particularly when you are on the short side of average [5' 7"] as is my case

Said friend with S-works 26 inch Enduro works part time in a Specialized store along with 2 other guys I consider friends.
    The shop has gone from one of the busiest cycle shops in town and hence one of the leading brands around here to laying off 3 staff, cutting the hours of 2 more because so many customers have turned around and walked out in the last year when they found they could not buy a 27.5 inch bike or for that matter a 26 inch - but who wants 26 inch anyway?

In 1995 Specialized released a line of budget "Costco" bikes called "Full force", their sales dropped 30% across their entire line to the point where they were within a few hundred dollars of going under according to Mike Sinyard. Specialized was a prestige brand, nobody wanted to buy a Specialized when it was associated with Costco. Mike had to personally apologise to dealers for nearly ruining their lively hoods.

I think Specialized error in dropping all other wheel sizes for 29inch will go down in hisoty as another monumental mistake that may have brought them to the brink.

mtbr member
    I am super stoked by this since the Butcher/Purg are my favorite tires and have been partly holding out on 650b myself since I didn't want to deviate to other tires, even though Maxxis are good too. Just love the Butcher front, a great tire that can do it all.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Just ordered my first 650b tires from Specialized today. Was surprised to see them sell 650b tires before actual 650b bikes, but that makes sense considering they spec their bikes with their own tires and want them available for when they do release a 650b bike.
    I talked to my LBS today and there was a Specialized rep with him who made it sound like 650b Specialized bikes will be announced soon.
    So, any predictions on which models get the 650b first? I am going to guess that the Stumpjumper will be their flagship 650b model and maybe the Camber and Enduro. I would guess the Epic stays only 29.
    What do you guys think? Any bold predictions?

Here is info on their new 650b tires.
    Hot News: Specialized Rolls-Out Mid-Sized 27.5-Inch/650b Tires | Mountain Bike Review
    I'm looking for a 120mm 27.5 bike. My local bike shop sells mostly Specialized and Trek...and so they have essentially zero 27.5 bikes to offer...certainly none in thew 120mm XC/trail range.

When I saw the release of the new tire size yesterday, I emailed the shop owner. He also suggested the earliest we will hear on new bikes from Specialized is May....and likely much later till the new bikes are available for sale. I'm loyal to this shop, but I'll be on a new bike (from another brand) by then. Unfortunately, this shop will see mtb sales plummet this year because Trek / Specialized came to the 27.5 party so late.

mtbr member
    I too have ridden the Enduro 29 and was not a fan. Flat out too big and clumsy. I agree 150mm+ is just too much for a 29er. I only say they might worry about putting a direct competitive product line up against the Enduro 29 because they invested a lot of money in developing that bike. I'm not a big Specialized bike fan so it doesn't really matter to me what they bring out. I have an Epic 29 and its good for XC stuff. Probably wouldn't buy another. I do like their tires however and I am excited they are bringing those out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trak_Mind View Post
    I'm looking for a 120mm 27.5 bike. My local bike shop sells mostly Specialized and Trek...and so they have essentially zero 27.5 bikes to offer...certainly none in thew 120mm XC/trail range.

When I saw the release of the new tire size yesterday, I emailed the shop owner. He also suggested the earliest we will hear on new bikes from Specialized is May....and likely much later till the new bikes are available for sale. I'm loyal to this shop, but I'll be on a new bike (from another brand) by then. Unfortunately, this shop will see mtb sales plummet this year because Trek / Specialized came to the 27.5 party so late.
    I think a Camber 650b might fit the fit for your needs since the Stumpjumper is becoming an Enduro lite.

mtbr member
    I too have ridden the Enduro 29 and was not a fan. Flat out too big and clumsy. I agree 150mm+ is just too much for a 29er. I only say they might worry about putting a direct competitive product line up against the Enduro 29 because they invested a lot of money in developing that bike. I'm not a big Specialized bike fan so it doesn't really matter to me what they bring out. I have an Epic 29 and its good for XC stuff. Probably wouldn't buy another. I do like their tires however and I am excited they are bringing those out.
    I agree. The Enduro 29er is a very weird bike. Something tells me the engineers were like "An Enduro 29er? Really? Ok, I guess we will do it if you ask, Mr. Sinyard."

jrm
    mtbr member
    I wonder if the bikes will be "from the ground up" 650bs or just tweaks to their existing 26" tooling. Also i wonder how far into the future theyre anticipating recovering from the cost of the 29" tooling investment theyve made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I wonder if the bikes will be "from the ground up" 650bs or just tweaks to their existing 26" tooling. Also i wonder how far into the future theyre anticipating recovering from the cost of the 29" tooling investment theyve made.
    Since this is a speculation thread, I am going to speculate that Specialized won't take any shortcuts. Most of their 26ers are dead anyway and have not been in production in years (except for the Enduro and Stumpjumper). I imagine they took so long because they wanted to get 650b right.
    I don't think they are kicking themselves for investing heavily in 29ers since they have been so successful. 29ers aren't going away like 26ers. There will always be a demand for XC 29ers at the very minimum and 29ers make great entry bikes for new riders.

beater

They sold 29" tires before they sold a 29er. Actually, I'm pretty sure they sold 26" tires before ever selling a mountain bike.
    Their focus on 29ers a monumental mistake pushing Specialized to the brink? That's rich.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    They sold 29" tires before they sold a 29er. Actually, I'm pretty sure they sold 26" tires before ever selling a mountain bike.
    Their focus on 29ers a monumental mistake pushing Specialized to the brink? That's rich.
    Who said that was a mistake? Certainly not me. Read what I said above. I said 29ers were very successful for Specialized and they will continue to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had an Epic 29 as my first FS bike, was built OK but the crappy Avid brakes and the brain rear shock sucked. Bike could not climb for anything, would constantly loose traction on up hill climbs. My Anthem Advance climbs ten times better than the Epic did.

beater

Who said that was a mistake? Certainly not me. Read what I said above. I said 29ers were very successful for Specialized and they will continue to be.
    jeffgre_6163 did. I read what you said. I wasn't quoting you. I'm on a phone, and multi quoting isn't that easy. That's why I used an ellipsis and a line break after the response to your quote...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    jeffgre_6163 did. I read what you said. I wasn't quoting you. I'm on a phone, and multi quoting isn't that easy. That's why I used an ellipsis and a line break after the response to your quote...
    Gotchya.

I dig trails!
    Specialized early launch May-June is their consumer bikes, enthusiast (MTB & Road) bike launch is in early July. Tho we might see some nuggets at Sea Otter.

Specialized does a complete redesign of each model every 3 years. The Stumpjumper does seem the best candidate and closest to the 3 year cycle.

I have heard that Specialized has been testing 27.5 for quite a while (as have all other bike makers), their assessment and commitment to 29 mean there are no current mid size bikes from them, but it looks like market forces will force their hand.

P

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I am super stoked by this since the Butcher/Purg are my favorite tires
    Purg is my favorite rear AM tire to date. Bonty XR4 up front. Both now available in 650b. This is great news.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163 View Post
    I rode the thing as a demo, I could not wait to give it back - I absolutely hated it, tall and barge like it was.
    I too have ridden the Enduro 29 and was not a fan. Flat out too big and clumsy.
    x2 on the Enduro 29 comments. Had a 2011 Enduro and love the way it handled, especially on a Front Range tech descent. Hated the way it pedaled flats and sustained climbs (which they fixed for 2013... #$%!$)

An Enduro 650b would fit in nicely with a Slash, Bronson, Mach 6, etc.

Enduro 29 and Niner WFO seem like the answers to a question nobody asked...

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Enduro 29 ... seem like the answers to a question nobody asked...
    The Enduro 26 is a high speed, arch turning, lots of body english descent slayer. It is a lot of bike. Usually too much for most. The 29er version takes that to 11.

If you want to go mach stupid downhill, a 29er Enduro can't be beat. But there is more to riding than that (for me, at least) But then, that is the point. What kind of riding do you do? What is the best tool for the job?

I have a 26 Enduro, but I am slowing down a bit, so it is now too much for me. Too bad, as it is freaking awesome launching into a boneyard at speed...

Enough of the Enduro talk...

I wonder if 27.5 will show up on Specialized DH bike, the Demo...! World Cup DH is right around the corner...

P

mtbr member
    And merdia bikes owns 49% of speci.....

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Specialized isn't about to fail because they don't have a 650b mountain bike. They probably sell 50 Hardrocks for every Enduro that goes out the door.

Don't forget that they also have an extensive line of road bikes and hybrids - those riders couldn't give a crap less about 27.5" mountain bike wheels. There's also their massive line of accessories, which transcends wheel size.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    I imagine they took so long because they wanted to get 650b right.
    OR, another view might be, the waited until they were sure it was going to stick and be profitable…just like they did with 29ers.
    They weren't waiting to get it right, it simply takes a long time to develop a new bike model. They are behind.
    "Innovate or Die" hahahahahaahha.
    It's a joke.

(another view might be they had lawyers trying to see if they could patent 650b or 27.5 and the sue everyone releasing new bikes.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Specialized isn't about to fail because they don't have a 650b mountain bike. They probably sell 50 Hardrocks for every Enduro that goes out the door.
    Don't forget that they also have an extensive line of road bikes and hybrids - those riders couldn't give a crap less about 27.5" mountain bike wheels. There's also their massive line of accessories, which transcends wheel size.
    I agree, I very much doubt they will go broke on the back of the 29er only policy [Shame though : )]
    However it has to be hurting their bottom line to a considerable extent. According to Forbes Magazine Specialized had sales of an estimated $500 million in 2011.
    Assume a drop in sales of 10%, that equates to $50 million
    Ouch
    All speculation of course, but it is fun : )

mtbr member
    Specialized lost me as a customer. Ive always owned specialized, and currently have 3 road, one 26 Stumpy and just sold my 29er Stumpy. I replace a bike every 3 years just to get something new. I wanted a 650B Stumpjumper, but after asking their online FAQ if they would produce a 650B, the answer was NO.

So I want to thank Specialized for allowing me to consider other manufactures. Now I have a Yeti on order. Stoked!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Who cares what Specialized builds? There are plenty of bike manufacturers out there so why buy from the big bullies and their pack of foaming-at-the-mouth lawyers? I know, I know... some of you guys don't care if the bikes are made by starving orphans out of baby seals as long as you can jump on the bandwagon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Who cares what Specialized builds? There are plenty of bike manufacturers out there so why buy from the big bullies and their pack of foaming-at-the-mouth lawyers? I know, I know... some of you guys don't care if the bikes are made by starving orphans out of baby seals as long as you can jump on the bandwagon.
    That's where I'm at. I didn't really follow bike politics much but keep hearing about Specialized rep. The final straw for me was them suing that small bike shop with the name Roubaix. I've always worked for small companies and find Specialized tactics pretty much mob style bulling. Can't support a company like that. I don't buy Apple shit for the same reason. When my current tires wear out, hopefully I can find something I like, I have to admit I love my Specialized tires.
    Tallboy 3
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI