mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Spark Plus vs Thunderbolt vs Giant Anthem / Trance

Live in SoCal where there's a big mixture of riding and a lot of climbing, I'm about 6' and 220 so definitely looking for help on the climbing part, lol!

Been looking at the local dealers and out of every thing I've seen I'm down to a 2017 Spark Plus 710, 2017 Thunderbolt 750 and the 2018 Giant Trance 2 and Anthem 2. The Giant's have a great bang for the buck, but I really liked the Thunderbolt / Spark when I tested them and I'm leaning toward the Spark Plus (local dealer has a great deal on a remaining 2017).

Any advise or recommendations from riders that have looked at these bikes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I got a great deal on the 745 for 2200. I could tell you the regular Scott climbs like a bat out of hell. It's not even close compared to the other bikes you'll beat everyone up the hill. Plus you're well aware of that the 710+ Scott trailbike of the year and the plus size. I personally go with the Scott if you're into climbing. Will be sending should be pretty plush on the Plus. The quote of the day on the 710 is it will put mouse in Enduro bikes to shame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ands-compared/

Plus this article states that all the geometry of almost all trail bikes is exactly the same. The only thing different about the bikes is the shocks in the way the shocks work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Demo them and see which you prefer. The suspension systems behave differently so you might like one a lot more than the others. In the past the Spark was a poor climber. You had to lockout the suspension so it really defeated the purpose of a FS bike. Apparently it's changed and they have provided a pedaling platform so I don't know why they still need a remote lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ands-compared/

Plus this article states that all the geometry of almost all trail bikes is exactly the same. The only thing different about the bikes is the shocks in the way the shocks work.
    And that greatly impacts how the bike handles so you can't readily discount suspension design and performance.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Demo them and see which you prefer. The suspension systems behave differently so you might like one a lot more than the others. In the past the Spark was a poor climber. You had to lockout the suspension so it really defeated the purpose of a FS bike. Apparently it's changed and they have provided a pedaling platform so I don't know why they still need a remote lockout.

And that greatly impacts how the bike handles so you can't readily discount suspension design and performance.
    Some people like the remote, not needed, but even faster when locked out. When my friends complain about me beating them uphill, I let them know that I haven't used the lockout and then I hit it ands its like I am sprinting up hill. "not fair" is what I get allot. Just the look on their faces makes twin lock worth it as I smoke them up hill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I ride a 29er anthem with a 120mm fork...I love the feel of it, but always felt that it rode like a truck and want to get into something 650b and with a BIT more travel ... I demoed the Thunderbolt 750 earlier this year and loved it...only thing I felt was it lacked is aggressiveness/responsiveness... giant had a demo day this year, I demoed the anthem advanced 650b, and the trance advanced...I ended up purchasing an anthem last week

the anthem and the thunderbolt felt very similar, the only thing I noticed that was diff was what I outlined above...other then that you can't go wrong with either bike...It's really not a fair comparison since I am comparing a carbon bike w/ carbon wheels (anthem advanced) to the thunderbolt 750, which is alum/lower groupset, but there was no higher trim TB available for the demo, and I can only speak about what I tried...

I was looking for a BC edition thunderbolt before I demoed the anthem though...just sayin
    2012 Giant Anthem x29er
    2017 Giant Anthem Advanced SX
    2014 Giant TCR Comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    A large multi location Giant dealer in So Cal has some 2017 Trance advance 2 on sale for $2999. Not sure if they have any left, but also had some Anthem and Anthem SX on sale I picked one up and really like it. The only concern I have is getting the Rock Shox rear shock adjusted. May have to get an extra token. I did not mention the dealer's name because I am not sure what the rules are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    A large multi location Giant dealer in So Cal has some 2017 Trance advance 2 on sale for $2999. Not sure if they have any left, but also had some Anthem and Anthem SX on sale I picked one up and really like it. The only concern I have is getting the Rock Shox rear shock adjusted. May have to get an extra token. I did not mention the dealer's name because I am not sure what the rules are.
    What do you mean getting the rear shock adjusted? In what way? And what do you mean Token?
    2012 Giant Anthem x29er
    2014 Giant TCR Comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Just setting up the rear shock in regards to sag, air pressure, etc. The shock comes with 2 air tokens installed. You can add one or remove one. You can also add air volume adjustments. Just part of getting a good suspension set-up. After riding a hard tail for 15 years, just getting use to a full suspension. Best

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just setting up the rear shock in regards to sag, air pressure, etc. The shock comes with 2 air tokens installed. You can add one or remove one. You can also add air volume adjustments. Just part of getting a good suspension set-up. After riding a hard tail for 15 years, just getting use to a full suspension. Best
    ok cool, thanks for clarifying...just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything obvious, haha
    2012 Giant Anthem x29er
    2014 Giant TCR Comp

NedwannaB
    Tokens in rr shock? Interesting Ive only heard them being in forks.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....