Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    332

    So the new Nomad

    so santa cruz have finally got with modern geometry!

    So the new Nomad-p4pb10776261.jpg

    despite the colour scheme this is actually less 'women specific' than previous bikes as it has a reasonably long reach, decent seat angle and the chainstays are about as short as I imagine you can get a VPP bike.

    and a 65 degree headangle is going to make it fun on the steep stuff

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmallory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,003
    I don't see this as "modern geometry" at all, more like surpassing the norm. They went extreme in every way which I think is great. But then again, I don't think this bike is meant to compete with the smaller bikes like the Bronson so of course it should have different geometry. I think if it gets some good reviews and can be a decent climber, it may be a game changer. I like it!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Wild color scheme. Kinda like a pink polo shirt, it'll take a secure man to rock that. Aesthetics aside, it looks sick and it would seem crazy capable. Looking forward to reviews trickling out hopefully soon.

  4. #4
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    That is one clean looking bike. I like the straight TT vs. the old curved one. But the TT is still a bit short, imo. Only wish we had mountains big enough for me to justify buying one!

    Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    That bike looks killer. Congrats SC and JoeG!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,674
    It's a worthy update for the Nomad.

    Stoked to see it RS equipped.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,170
    Super slack HTA, internal cable routing and no front derailleur. Looks awesome! Will SC release an aluminum version for the common folk?
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

  8. #8
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,263

    Bonking ... not feelin' well

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    That is one clean looking bike. I like the straight TT vs. the old curved one. But the TT is still a bit short, imo. Only wish we had mountains big enough for me to justify buying one!

    Cheers,
    KP
    Not sure about the other sizes but the reach on the XL went from 16.8" to 18.1". That's a substantial increase and brings it into proper XL territory.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

  9. #9
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,233

    So the new Nomad

    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I don't see this as "modern geometry" at all, more like surpassing the norm. They went extreme in every way which I think is great. But then again, I don't think this bike is meant to compete with the smaller bikes like the Bronson so of course it should have different geometry. I think if it gets some good reviews and can be a decent climber, it may be a game changer. I like it!
    I agree with the OP- this is what I consider modern AM geometry, or moving towards it. Long reach and front center, slack HTA, and steep STA. For a pure AM (climb to descend) frame, I'd actually like a shorter cockpit and a degree steeper HTA, but this will probably make a good all-day bike. Santa Cruz isn't the first to go with this type of geometry, not by a long shot, but they're not at the tail end, either. There are still quite a few (well regarded) AM frames out there with what I consider outdated geometry. But most people just look at the HTA.

    I think we'll see more frames moving this way if Enduro racing continues to gain momentum at the pro level. I think it's a little ironic, because I used to think that separation from racing concerns was one of the best things about the AM category, both for bikes and skis. But the demands of Enduro racing will definitely provide some selection pressures, and with bike companies responding to the needs of high caliber pros, we'll see the effects.

  10. #10
    MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Reputation: pachaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    813
    Why would the spec a 160mm front with a 165mm rear? Is that a good thing or are they limited by the available forks that are available for the new 27" wheels?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    The only change: something like a X-Fusion Vengeance HLR Air 170 w/ a 20mmTA.

  12. #12
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Not sure about the other sizes but the reach on the XL went from 16.8" to 18.1". That's a substantial increase and brings it into proper XL territory.
    Agreed, that's a big step in the right direction, and probably a well reasoned one. The Mondraker Dune, for example, is more on the extreme end of the bell curve with a 19.5" reach on their XL frame. In the end all that matters is how it rides and I am willing to bet the Nomad rides great. The numbers never tell the whole story...

    Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    744
    Maybe that color scheme is the April foil's joke and tomorrow they reveal the good looking colors.

  14. #14
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,419
    So the new Nomad-santa-cruz-nomad-murdered-out-600x450.jpg
    27.1lb build. not bad.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-Cruz-Nomad-Murdered-Out-600x450.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	881719
    27.1lb build. not bad.
    And a mere $10k!

  16. #16
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,419
    The X01 kit is $6599.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The X01 kit is $6599.
    Yup, but to hit ~27.1 lbs uses XX1 & Enve. For a pound more I'll hold onto the $3k. Looks like a damn fun bike to say the least.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    26
    Totally agree! My first thought...170mm vengeance with dla...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    26
    I like the fact that although the top tube is still a little short, the reach is now more in line with "standard" sizing...I'm 6-1, but I ride the XL 2013 Nomad, which has a shorter reach than my Large Specialized Pitch...I think SC did a nice job of shortening the chain stay with that recessed pivot, and in doing so corrected the cramped feeling of the cockpit by stretching the reach out...all geared towards better descending capability.

    My first thought, along with sticking a 170mm vengeance on it, was Long Live the Nomad, the Nomad is Dead...this is a modern day VP-Free. 28 pounds and carbon and a 1x drivetrain...when is Mark Weir coming back to SC and hopping on this?

  20. #20
    I fix choppers
    Reputation: HELLBELLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    That is one clean looking bike. I like the straight TT vs. the old curved one. But the TT is still a bit short, imo. Only wish we had mountains big enough for me to justify buying one!

    Cheers,
    KP

    Oh c'mon Kirk. That thing would be hoot on lotsa stuff in Pisgah. I like the look and the geometry they went with too, but sadly I no longer feel that SC is a leader in innovation. They have become more of a boutique brand and this is disconcerting for me as I have been a fan for years having owned 5 of their bikes. Gone are the days when you could get a great functional spec and even choose from myriad of colors without having sell a kidney. Their offerings have become more limited and their pricing stratospheric. Ironically, the Nomad 3 slots in at a lower price than last year's Bronson so maybe they listened to some of the criticism going around. The new Nomad numbers have been out and proven by smaller companies like Kona, Canfield and Banshee for more than 2 years. SC finally adopted for the Nomad, but they are not breaking any new ground. I thought about waiting to buy this frame as I was in the market for a new bike moving to a 27.5 format finally. However, I went for one of the little guys instead saving more than half the cost and maybe adding a lb+/-. I think the Nomad 3 will do great, but I think I am not alone in wanting to see an alloy version at a lower price point.

    BTW, Thanx for your efforts to push the mountain biking world into accepting/embracing 27.5 wheels. I never liked 29'ers. They never felt right for the kind of riding I like (technical, air war, craziness). However, after demoing a number of 27.5 last year I knew that would be my next rig. I hope to meet you some time on one of our trips up to Chattanooga.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    so santa cruz have finally got with modern geometry!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb10776261.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	881672

    despite the colour scheme this is actually less 'women specific' than previous bikes as it has a reasonably long reach, decent seat angle and the chainstays are about as short as I imagine you can get a VPP bike.

    and a 65 degree headangle is going to make it fun on the steep stuff
    Bike looks killer (in black or with custom black SC logos on blue frame instead of pink). Congrats SC on great looking revision. This would be the bike I would more than likely get if replacing my Banshee Rune V2 (pretty much same geo) for "one bike" total shred machine. But, I am getting Bronson (waiting for black frame to come in) for general trail bike duties and keeping the Rune for air/shred. Everything looks great about this bike, I would just slap a Pike DP air on it and ride it all!
    Ride On!

  22. #22
    I fix choppers
    Reputation: HELLBELLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Bike looks killer (in black or with custom black SC logos on blue frame instead of pink). Congrats SC on great looking revision. This would be the bike I would more than likely get if replacing my Banshee Rune V2 (pretty much same geo) for "one bike" total shred machine. But, I am getting Bronson (waiting for black frame to come in) for general trail bike duties and keeping the Rune for air/shred. Everything looks great about this bike, I would just slap a Pike DP air on it and ride it all!
    I am glad that I am not the only one that noticed that the Nomad's numbers are nearly identical to the Rune V-2. Kudos to Banshee for being ahead of the game on this one. BTW, the Rune's frame weight is barely a pound more.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,783
    Looks good to me. Adding it to my Interbike list (unless I can find a way to ride one before that). It'll be interesting to compare this one head to head with the Intense Tracer T275 and the Norco Range Carbon.

    It's a good time to be a mountain biker!
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  24. #24
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Looks good to me. Adding it to my Interbike list (unless I can find a way to ride one before that). It'll be interesting to compare this one head to head with the Intense Tracer T275 and the Norco Range Carbon.

    It's a good time to be a mountain biker!
    That's what I am waiting from you . Indeed new bikes model (27.5) come up like never been before.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    BTW, the Rune's frame weight is barely a pound more.
    Well, my medium silver polished Rune w/shock (Monarch RC3) and rear axle weighed in at 8.25lbs before I started build (31lb do everything, AM shred machine built up). Rune V2's do go for at least $1k less than Nomad3 (13's were going for $1699 and is same as 14' Rune V2 minus stealth routing). So those that can't afford a Nomad3 and want alloy version, I would definitely consider the Rune V2. I literally ride that bike everywhere, XC to FR/DH and it handles it all in good stride (did over 4000ft climb on it the other day with FR/DH shuttling the day before). I am however getting a Bronson for 2nd bike to spread the load and as dedicated trail bike.

    Sorry to detract, Nomad3 looks *****in minus the large being a bit too long for my taste in wheelbase and reach, medium a bit too short for the 5'10" rider (avg. sized American male).
    Ride On!

  26. #26
    I fix choppers
    Reputation: HELLBELLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Well, my medium silver polished Rune w/shock (Monarch RC3) and rear axle weighed in at 8.25lbs before I started build (31lb do everything, AM shred machine built up). Rune V2's do go for at least $1k less than Nomad3 (13's were going for $1699 and is same as 14' Rune V2 minus stealth routing). So those that can't afford a Nomad3 and want alloy version, I would definitely consider the Rune V2. I literally ride that bike everywhere, XC to FR/DH and it handles it all in good stride (did over 4000ft climb on it the other day with FR/DH shuttling the day before). I am however getting a Bronson for 2nd bike to spread the load and as dedicated trail bike.
    Ha! My dedicated do-it-all trail bike is a 33 lb '02 Surly Instigator. I am getting a new Rune V-2 this month. I am not going sweat over a a lb and a half as mine will clock in at around 30 lbs +/- with a DB Air.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

  27. #27
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,555
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Looks good to me. Adding it to my Interbike list (unless I can find a way to ride one before that). It'll be interesting to compare this one head to head with the Intense Tracer T275 and the Norco Range Carbon.

    It's a good time to be a mountain biker!
    Besides the $3k price of admission, I agree.

    I wish they had an aluminum version, but from what I hear prices to build carbon vs alum frames are getting to be near equal, so we may see alum frames disappearing along with 26" wheels.


    As far as geometry, it is pretty close to my current '09 Trek Remedy with shorter coil-shock and Lyric 170 DH fork which is basically a mini-dh bike... that I just broke last Sunday... I do think the chainstay and wheelbase of the new Nomad are on the long side but maybe as short as the VPP design allows, but it is the same as the Trek Slash which could be shorter if they wanted it to be, so I think the longer length is intentional.

    Really, these new trailbike geometries are edging ever closer to standard downhill bike geometry, I also have a '09 Session 88 and the new Nomad and Slash have very similar geometry to it, and also to the new Session which is about 1 degree slacker. The trailbikes just have better seat positions for pedaling, and obviously WAY different suspensions.

    In any case I am happy to see slack head angles and longer reaches, they are a little late to the party but this new Nomad should be pretty amazing. It is on my short list, if Trek gives me a new Slash as a warranty replacement I will keep it but I do not want a new Remedy!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Besides the $3k price of admission, I agree.

    I wish they had an aluminum version, but from what I hear prices to build carbon vs alum frames are getting to be near equal, so we may see alum frames disappearing along with 26" wheels.
    Carbon production molds are very expensive. So if you eliminate the AL version and make more carbon bikes the cost/unit goes down. You also reduce inventory costs.

    I guess the question is - are enough folks ready to pay $3K+/frame that the lost sales from killing the AL version are made up for by lowered costs and some extra carbon sales?

    Ibis is only doing carbon and Pivot doesn't seem to be moving towards an AL release of the Mach 6...so maybe that's where we are headed?
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  29. #29
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Keen to hear a head to head as KRob mentions... The Nomad & Tracer T275.....

    Read one report of the rear being a bit noodly for want of a better word on the T275....

    Having owned a VP-Free and an Uzzi some years back, got rid of them quick smart.

    So am keen to know if noodly has been sorted, these would be then on a very short list of bikes to go for....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Keen to hear a head to head as KRob mentions... The Nomad & Tracer T275.....

    Read one report of the rear being a bit noodly for want of a better word on the T275....

    Having owned a VP-Free and an Uzzi some years back, got rid of them quick smart.

    So am keen to know if noodly has been sorted, these would be then on a very short list of bikes to go for....
    Not sure the T275 is a fair comparison to the new Nomad... I believe that Intense will have a new carbon frame (Uzzi?) that will have geo numbers similar to the new Nomad in the not too distant future...

  31. #31
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Not sure the T275 is a fair comparison to the new Nomad... I believe that Intense will have a new carbon frame (Uzzi?) that will have geo numbers similar to the new Nomad in the not too distant future...

    Hear you on that, I guess maybe the Bronson is a better bike to compare to the T275...

    Time will tell hey, once a few ride reviews start coming on stream...

    Are the new Nomads shipping?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Hear you on that, I guess maybe the Bronson is a better bike to compare to the T275...

    Time will tell hey, once a few ride reviews start coming on stream...

    Are the new Nomads shipping?
    Yeah, as of April 1...

  33. #33
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Yeah, as of April 1...
    Thanks for that, see them on the BikeBling site, not many other sites as yet....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  34. #34
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,508
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Not sure the T275 is a fair comparison to the new Nomad... I believe that Intense will have a new carbon frame (Uzzi?) that will have geo numbers similar to the new Nomad in the not too distant future...
    That would really surprise me - I would think they're next investment would be a carbon DH race frame.

    I think the T275 / Nomad comparo seems fair? Nomad is the T275, as Bronson is to Carbine right?

    On another note, I think it would make sense if Santa Cruz dropped their alloy VPP bikes and made alloy single-pivot versions instead.

    Tallboy = Superlight
    Tallboy LT = Tazmon
    Solo = Bantam
    Bronson = Heckler
    Nomad = Bullit
    V10 = Super 8
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    538
    I'd rock the pink and blue, but then again, i'm form Southern California, and we get wild around here. I have rainbow boardshorts and I love color, this would be awesome on the trails. but I don't see getting one till there is an aluminum version because i'm on that college kid budget.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    That would really surprise me - I would think they're next investment would be a carbon DH race frame.

    I think the T275 / Nomad comparo seems fair? Nomad is the T275, as Bronson is to Carbine right?

    On another note, I think it would make sense if Santa Cruz dropped their alloy VPP bikes and made alloy single-pivot versions instead.

    Tallboy = Superlight
    Tallboy LT = Tazmon
    Solo = Bantam
    Bronson = Heckler
    Nomad = Bullit
    V10 = Super 8
    T275 and Nomad have vastly different geo... I would equate the T275 to the Bronson and the Nomad to the missing bike in the Intense lineup (Uzzi C?)... time will tell. In my opinion the Carbine (which I own) is probably redundant in the lntense lineup and will probably go the way of the dodo.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    844
    tag for the new nomad 650b in Australia is $9000., That too expensive. I could buy a new small car Volkwagen by adding additional $3000 AUD or even buy two Slash 650B

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    tag for the new nomad 650b in Australia is $9000., That too expensive. I could buy a new small car Volkwagen by adding additional $3000 AUD or even buy two Slash 650B
    get two slash 7's... get one that is 19.5, send one to me, i'll pay for shipping.
    thanks. hahaha. its my dream bike... simple, yet epic, I don't need carbon everything, I just need a bike that can...

    I agree with your mentality, its super expensive, I could buy a very nice restored classic truck for the price of some of these bikes... i'd rather buy a 3,600 USD bike. and then keep my money and buy gas, buy food, buy clothes...

Similar Threads

  1. Nomad 8 -- 8" inch travel Nomad 1 with 9.5"x3" Shock
    By cosmoworks in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM
  2. nomad 2
    By superunknown222 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
  3. Trade your VPP2 Sm Nomad for my VPP2 M Nomad
    By wilsonblur in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
  4. Changing my AM Nomad to DH Nomad
    By stunzeed in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.