https://youtu.be/eL421GVwU7w

Scott spark 730 2017 2nd Place trail bike of the year

"It looks to absolutely ripped the legs off anyone else your ridding with"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    https://youtu.be/eL421GVwU7w

Scott spark 730 2017 2nd Place trail bike of the year

"It looks to absolutely ripped the legs off anyone else your ridding with"
    What about Canyons Spectral EX that won?!?...
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What about Canyons Spectral EX that won?!?...
    https://youtu.be/raZRomFTDyM

There's no doubt that bike kicks ass too. I just happened to go with the spark which is no slouch. Also it was very hard to get Canyons until recently in the US. Climbing is my thing which the Spark does better.

NedwannaB
    https://youtu.be/raZRomFTDyM

There's no doubt that bike kicks ass too. I just happened to go with the spark which is no slouch. Also it was very hard to get Canyons until recently in the US. Climbing is my thing which the Spark does better.
    Yeah I like my rides that way too. I almost got a Spark a few years ago. The new setup is way better.

Curious why they lumped a 120/120 XC bike in with a 140/160 Endurolite type bikes that took the win. Says a lot for the Scott I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah I like my rides that way too. I almost got a Spark a few years ago. The new setup is way better.

Curious why they lumped a 120/120 XC bike in with a 140/160 Endurolite type bikes that took the win. Says a lot for the Scott I guess.
    Well the spark 710+ Won MBR trailbike of the year. They said they would put most EnDuro bikes to shame. This is what happens when I guess you listen to Nino, and he had a huge input on the new design. Hopefully more bike manufacture start listing to world-class bikers .

Personally I like the colors on the Scott Spark allot better than the Canyon. I got the 745 in neon green, which is simular to the 730 minus the carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So it offers a pedaling platform without having to lock out the shock?

I found the previous Sparks quite awful in that regard. Any sustained tech climbs simply sucked. So much power robbing pedal bob. Having to lock out the suspension to provide a pedaling platform was stupid and didn't work unless you were hitting smooth trails. Good to see they resolved that issue.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I found the previous Sparks quite awful in that regard. Good to see they resolved that issue.
    Agreed; when I rode those pre2017 Sparks I was surprised at how firm it felt on small stuff. Then on a techy climb it wallowed a bit in the mid-travel. A built in pedaling platform at the top, I'm sure it was good for most smoother XC race courses, and they have several championships as evidence. Input from Olympian Nino changed their design philosophy, and now it's a new bike. Haven't been on one yet, but I'm ready!
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    So it offers a pedaling platform without having to lock out the shock?

I found the previous Sparks quite awful in that regard. Any sustained tech climbs simply sucked. So much power robbing pedal bob. Having to lock out the suspension to provide a pedaling platform was stupid and didn't work unless you were hitting smooth trails. Good to see they resolved that issue.
    No need to lock it out it will still crime like a bat out of hell. But if you like it out it's even faster. Just depends on whatever floats your boat. The bike is insanely fast up hills. I 730 right here in Medford Oregon said that he beats everyOne on the climbs.

NedwannaB
    No need to lock it out it will still crime like a bat out of hell. But if you like it out it's even faster. Just depends on whatever floats your boat. The bike is insanely fast up hills. I 730 right here in Medford Oregon said that he beats everyOne on the climbs.
    Since we're critiquing, how do you think the '18 Giant Anthem with 110/130 w/comparable spec will match up to the 730? Previously I had a '14 alloy 100 mill Anthem setup w/120 fork and am thinking to get back into the 27.5 XC/Trail catagory.

Discuss. 

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Since we're critiquing, how do you think the '18 Giant Anthem with 110/130 w/comparable spec will match up to the 730? Previously I had a '14 alloy 100 mill Anthem setup w/120 fork and am thinking to get back into the 27.5 XC/Trail catagory.

Discuss. 
    I am not sure, but I have heard good things about the Giant.