Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scientific 650b vs 26 study completed

9K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  Tkul 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted this as a reply in another post but figured it could use it's own if for nothing more than to get flamed for my sarcasm of saying it is a scientific study :D

ROLL is alot better, to the tune of 3-5 seconds faster on a 3 minute Enduro style DH trail (Strava verified ;-))....My carbine with 650b, 10 miles X 3 of ups and downs like this:

Carbine 650b Enve AM Nevegal Front / Neo Moto Rear 10 miles
Carbine 26" Easton Haven Carbon Nobby Nics front rear 10 miles
Carbine 650b Enve AM Nevegal Front / Neo Moto Rear 10 miles

over three days of riding 10 miles each day spaced out over a week so as to not crush my legs from pushing race pace. The 650b was consistently 3-5 seconds faster per run on each of the 4 Enduro Style DH runs we have here locally that I am intimately familiar with all the lines and tracks.....So yes 650b is faster and this was scientific ;)

Where it was faster was specifically in carrying momentum through turns and over rough stuff, period. I exited turns faster than on the Easton Carbon 26's and carried my speed over rocks and roots much better, to the tune of usually needing to pedal immediately on the 26" wheels to where as the 650b's allowed me to flow faster and farther while conserving my legs.....Hope this helps, Hito.

See less See more
#63 ·
Hito,

I think folks need to LIGHTEN UP as is the case if most forums where people are so quick to condemn and criticize. Personally I thank you for the time and effort you put in doing these tests. While it may not be the perfect scientific test by others' standards it's very helpful IMO. I've got the 650B bug and rode a Scott 730 last weekend for the first time. I noticed a big difference right away switching back and forth between my SC Nomad. So thanks.

Will

#64 ·
Just a thought. Seems like all this little test means is that Bike A is faster than Bike B. This doesn't necesarily have anything to do with the wheel size. In my case, I timed myself on 2 different bikes for the same course, and my hardtail was faster than my full suspension. Did my little test prove that all hardtails are faster than all full suspensions? No. It simply proved that Bike A was faster than Bike B.

#67 ·
It's pinkbike opinion - i supose everyone will have one after ridding back to back the 3 wheel sizes on the same trail.
I for once did like the 29er experience (rode Stumpy FSR 29), but the extra effort to manual is something that makes me thinking about 275 or a 29er with short chainstays.

Advantages
One of the biggest advantage of 26´ rims, is tire selection. :thumbsup:
eg: CRC announces:

378 Products for 26er
51 Products for 29er
Nothing on 275 (I know it exist tires :) )

Geometries:

- 26 geometry was teak and teak over years, and even today you see evolutions like the Zero from Mondraker.
Evolution on 26 will be less visible and is in mature phase compared with 29er/275.
- 29 will evolve (we can't forget, that what drives development is sales, and 29er are selling like hot cakes) and all the criticism will be solve with time and technical/ingenious solutions
- 275 will evolve over time.

It's small details that differentiate a good bike from a great bike.
26´ being the "oldest wheel size" have more "minor" details polished.
20years ago, no one, would belive that a trail bike would have 66º HA, 5´ to 6´ travel and weight in the region of 24/25lbs.

ending...
Are 275/29 better? For those who "invented" or used - I suppose yes.
Will we see mtbs evolve to only 1 wheel size? hope not! Having a variety of wheel sizes, let's everyone choose the best for the intended use

Time will tell and for now, nothing like having TIME (or more ACTUAL TIME) to enjoy present bikes (26/29/275).

#69 ·
It's pinkbike opinion - i supose everyone will have one after ridding back to back the 3 wheel sizes on the same trail.
Yes, but its a good opinion. Based on riding the same bike with the same components and corrected geometry, on the same trails with multiple loops in the same week with three riders at different levels and even using a stopwatch. Not really scientific, but not as "unscientific" as this "study" :)

#70 ·
I designed and get full royalities for the 30 quadrillion tire and rim combination :rolleyes:
It's obviously the best, and if you'd like a cut, just write up a test and confirm that there is nothing better ... And always remember, it's not about what is best ... It is about what we can convince people is best ;) ;)
If done properly, others will also write tests :thumbsup:

OP - Glad you're enjoying your bike(s) ... And could care less about what size/style/etcetera it might be.

Side note:
My neighbor's 3 year old kid loves his 12", and thinks his brothers 20" bike sucks :D

#74 ·
It is about what we can convince people is best ;) ;)
If done properly, others will also write tests :thumbsup:
100% agree and I add:
On blind kingdom, it's not who sees that's the King... But who SAY's it sees! ;)

Only time will tell, but since we're in a world of "continuous" growth, today it's 650b/29 to convice people to buy new bikes, tomorrow 26 will be revamped.

PS - After my experiment, I was almost convinced... but need mor€.... 29er feeling to be converted

:)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.