Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56

    Santa Cruz 5010c or Intense Spider 275c

    Im am interested in buying new fs bike and looking at the 5010c rx1/2 build kits and the 275c expert. Currently there are closeout deals on Arts cyclery that look really attractive as the component spec seems better vs the SC offerings with lower spec components and cost more. I have done my research and they both seem great so any input on the pros and cons of each would be greatly appreciated, thanks

  2. #2
    Colorado
    Reputation: ltspd1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    384
    I know nothing about the Spider, so this isn't exactly what you're asking, but I rode an Intense Tracer 275c for two years, and in October replaced it with a 2016 5010cc v2. Both are great bikes. The 257c is a point-and-shoot kind of bike, whereby when it's in the chunky stuff you don't have to be too concerned about your line...it plows through the chunk with ease. I found it to be just an OK climber overall, but it did do well on rocky, technical climbs. The 5010, in my opinion, climbs much better in all other situations, is more playful than the Tracer, and while it does well in the chunk, it does require a little more attention as to the lines I take. I live in Colorado, and big climbs are part of the deal, so for me the 5010 is a better bike. One other thing I prefer about the 5010 is it uses a threaded bottom bracket, but that may not be an issue for you. Again, not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it will help. Good luck.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,079
    if you live in CO i would think the decision would be sb5 vs 5010, we have similar terrain here in oregon

    i liked the 5010 and am hoping to get more time on both it and the sb5 soon

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    301
    Comparing a 5010C build vs Art's deal on the Intense Spider 27.5c pro build, I would go with the Spider. Spider pro uses higher modulus carbon, is lighter. Large Spider Pro weighs about 26.5lb without pedals and climbs very well in 130 mode. Chain stays are super short 16.5 and reach is longer than Santa Cruz. Spider feels more like a BMX bike more so than 5010. 5010 has a better warranty. One downside of Spider is rear hub is boost, but front hub is 100mm spacing, so buying prebuilt wheel sets may be difficult.

    5010cs weighs 29lb which isn't heavy, but you will feel the difference from the Spider. Both bikes climb well, Spider JS-Tune suspension is very snappy on this bike. Bronson pedals better than Recluse in longer travel application, but Spider application of VPP pedals much better. 5010 feels a little more composed going downhill through rougher terrain, but just barely.

    Spider pro vs 5010CC would be a tougher call. Spider Pro for less than $4k seems like a good deal, if you can do it.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    Comparing a 5010C build vs Art's deal on the Intense Spider 27.5c pro build, I would go with the Spider. Spider pro uses higher modulus carbon, is lighter. Large Spider Pro weighs about 26.5lb without pedals and climbs very well in 130 mode. Chain stays are super short 16.5 and reach is longer than Santa Cruz. Spider feels more like a BMX bike more so than 5010. 5010 has a better warranty. One downside of Spider is rear hub is boost, but front hub is 100mm spacing, so buying prebuilt wheel sets may be difficult.

    5010cs weighs 29lb which isn't heavy, but you will feel the difference from the Spider. Both bikes climb well, Spider JS-Tune suspension is very snappy on this bike. Bronson pedals better than Recluse in longer travel application, but Spider application of VPP pedals much better. 5010 feels a little more composed going downhill through rougher terrain, but just barely.

    Spider pro vs 5010CC would be a tougher call. Spider Pro for less than $4k seems like a good deal, if you can do it.
    I am interested in the expert build at 3499. Does this model use the same carbon as the pro you describe?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,244
    I have the high end carbon 5010 and I think it does everything well. I can sit back and climb comfortably and it does well getting up and over techy sections on climbs as well. I'm 5-8 and the Medium fits me perfect. As ltspd1 mentions, I like that the 5010 is more playful and not a "plow" bike. That's what I have my Mach 6 for.

    I haven't ridden the Spider but my friend has one and he's very happy with it. I will say that he just recently demo'd the Primer (29er) and Recluse and he liked them both better than his Spider. He REALLY liked the Recluse and said it climbed amazingly which is saying alot for a bike with that much travel. It's not what you asked but I have a Primer as well and I'm very happy with the build quality of Intense bikes based on what I've seen...though they need to upgrade the spec'd components.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    301
    Pro and Factory models use the SL Carbon layup, similar to Santa Cruz CC. Expert and foundation models are more like Santa Cruz C models. Are you comparing Spider Expert to a 5010CS build? How much is the 5010CS

    I've never ridden Expert. Ridden 5010 CS, 5010CC X-01 Eagle (with Enve's) and Spider Pro.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have the high end carbon 5010 and I think it does everything well. I can sit back and climb comfortably and it does well getting up and over techy sections on climbs as well. I'm 5-8 and the Medium fits me perfect. As ltspd1 mentions, I like that the 5010 is more playful and not a "plow" bike. That's what I have my Mach 6 for.

    I haven't ridden the Spider but my friend has one and he's very happy with it. I will say that he just recently demo'd the Primer (29er) and Recluse and he liked them both better than his Spider. He REALLY liked the Recluse and said it climbed amazingly which is saying alot for a bike with that much travel. It's not what you asked but I have a Primer as well and I'm very happy with the build quality of Intense bikes based on what I've seen...though they need to upgrade the spec'd components.
    Primer is a great option as well. I think OP is looking at Spiders because they're in closeout pricing.

    BTW, you have the perfect MTB quiver.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,244
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    Primer is a great option as well. I think OP is looking at Spiders because they're in closeout pricing.

    BTW, you have the perfect MTB quiver.
    Yeah, I get it and totally understand that sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. That's what I told me wife when I bought the Primer in February. I told her "this guy is MAKING me buy this bike by pricing it so low"

    Thanks. I'm very happy with my set of bikes....but that new Pivot 5.5 in red is pretty sexy. Unfortunately, it's too flashy to sneak inside and keep my wife from noticing so that will have to wait until 2018 or 19.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    Basically i am in the 3500.00 range. I was considering the 5010c build in r2x and the 275 expert as they are similar in price but surely not spec since the Spider is a close out. Is is worth spending the money on a lower spec Santa Cruz or go for the spider with the dopper, Pike and xt all around plus better cockpit(Renthal, Thompson)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,079
    is there any chance you can ride either? i briefly rode the new 5010 c and it's a good bike. a higher spec closeout does change things and if you know your geometry they can be great buys. piermont bike on ebay is closing out a few 27.5 scott bikes, full xtr and factory suspension around your price point as well

    i don't think there is a perfect answer here. unlike 10 years ago most the newer high end bikes from respectable brands are really good

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    301
    The Spider comes with the dropper seat post and better components all the way through. 5010 C 2X weighs 30 lbs and comes with SLX vs XT parts. Even if you have to pay someone to build the bike, Spider Expert is a much better bike and deal. I know it's not my money, but the Pro bike has better fork, brakes and frame. Well worth the $500 if it's at all possible. Some sites are still selling the Pro and Expert at MSRP right now.

    Always buy the best bike you can get the first time, rather than trying to upgrade later. Easier said than done, however. If the Santa Cruz is at list price or even within $400, the Intense Bikes are going to be a better value, for what you get. 1x drivetrain, better brakes, dropper post.

    Santa Cruz 5010 C 2x has 2x drivetrain and no dropper post. If you want a Santa Cruz the 5010 Aluminum S build is a much better value and will leave you with a riding experience. The aluminum S weighs less, has a dropper post, better brakes, drivetrain, brakes and even weighs less than the Carbon 2x.

    Best value:
    1. Spider Pro $3999: Dream bike parts and spec at $2700 off retail (downside $500 above budget)
    2. Spider Expert $3499 : great spec at $2400 off retail(in the budget)
    3. 5010 A S build: $3,899 good spec (not carbon, don't know if this is a minus or plus)
    4. 5010 C 2x: $3,400 in budget (no dropper, heaviest bike, 2x drivetrain, worst brakes, etc.)

    Good luck with your decision.
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    The Spider comes with the dropper seat post and better components all the way through. 5010 C 2X weighs 30 lbs and comes with SLX vs XT parts. Even if you have to pay someone to build the bike, Spider Expert is a much better bike and deal. I know it's not my money, but the Pro bike has better fork, brakes and frame. Well worth the $500 if it's at all possible. Some sites are still selling the Pro and Expert at MSRP right now.

    Always buy the best bike you can get the first time, rather than trying to upgrade later. Easier said than done, however. If the Santa Cruz is at list price or even within $400, the Intense Bikes are going to be a better value, for what you get. 1x drivetrain, better brakes, dropper post.

    Santa Cruz 5010 C 2x has 2x drivetrain and no dropper post. If you want a Santa Cruz the 5010 Aluminum S build is a much better value and will leave you with a riding experience. The aluminum S weighs less, has a dropper post, better brakes, drivetrain, brakes and even weighs less than the Carbon 2x.

    Best value:
    1. Spider Pro $3999: Dream bike parts and spec at $2700 off retail (downside $500 above budget)
    2. Spider Expert $3499 : great spec at $2400 off retail(in the budget)
    3. 5010 A S build: $3,899 good spec (not carbon, don't know if this is a minus or plus)
    4. 5010 C 2x: $3,400 in budget (no dropper, heaviest bike, 2x drivetrain, worst brakes, etc.)

    Good luck with your decision.
    I appreciate your input(very straightforward) One last thing any input on pf vs threaded bb? Some have written off the spider on this alone. I am around 200lb so noise and durability is a concern

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    301
    I prefer a threaded BB, but wouldn't make it a deciding factor. Press fit vs threaded is more of a personal decision. I have friends who wrote off the Yeti because it's pf, but I loved the way it rode and bought the bike and it's the quietest bike I own. If you don't like press fit, then Santa Cruz is the option.

    These are all good bikes that you are deciding on. The value of either (C or A) S build of the Santa Cruz is better than the 2x. Best thing is to ride the bikes if you could. Those Spider closeout are a steal though.

    I'm trying to bribe my wife into letting me get the Pro. No dice though. She keeps going on about kids having to go to college etc. and I already have too many bikes

    Good luck
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel 3
    '16 Ibis Ripley LS
    '15Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2
    '16 Yeti SB6c

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenkeep View Post
    I appreciate your input(very straightforward) One last thing any input on pf vs threaded bb? Some have written off the spider on this alone. I am around 200lb so noise and durability is a concern
    threaded is better simply because it's easy and trouble free. however, PF92 has been flawless for me. you just have to occasionally grease it more than you would a threaded.

    as for the bikes. intense is your better value buy but it would depend on which frame feel you like more. i've had quite a lot of newer bikes and it's not always easy to find one that sings to you.

    the best value buys of all are these 2016 Scott Genius 700 Premium Full Suspension Mountain Bike Large Retail $7700 | eBay

    seller also has some on BIN for about 3500. you'll never beat these for parts and components for the $ however, the frame geo or travel may not be what you're looking for. i don't think i would buy a 5010 or spider had i not ridden them and the 5010 i have ridden. spider i would like to if i had a chance.

    the 5010 is basically and xc trail hybrid bike. trail / AM geo that rides like an XC bike if you wish it to. if a person only had one bike it would be a top contender

    keep in mind you should be able to negotiate 20% off on santa cruz with a good dealer

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenkeep View Post
    Im am interested in buying new fs bike and looking at the 5010c rx1/2 build kits and the 275c expert. Currently there are closeout deals on Arts cyclery that look really attractive as the component spec seems better vs the SC offerings with lower spec components and cost more. I have done my research and they both seem great so any input on the pros and cons of each would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    I just ordered the Spider 275C Expert from Art's yesterday. I'll report back, but considering I'm riding a 10 yr. old Yeti 575, I think I'm going to be very happy with my choice! I was leaning toward the 5010 until I discovered the deal at Art's - the decision became a no brainer at that point. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a finely tuned enough athlete to experience the subtle differences between two similar bikes, so I went with the value of a much better component spec.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    458
    If you like a quick, snappy bike that loves to pop off every little feature you'll love the Spider.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Sounds awful. :-)

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott95 View Post
    I just ordered the Spider 275C Expert from Art's yesterday. I'll report back, but considering I'm riding a 10 yr. old Yeti 575, I think I'm going to be very happy with my choice! I was leaning toward the 5010 until I discovered the deal at Art's - the decision became a no brainer at that point. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a finely tuned enough athlete to experience the subtle differences between two similar bikes, so I went with the value of a much better component spec.
    the fit is the question. you guys mail ordering without showrooming first are daring. having a good handle on your stack and reach helps but that would be very hard as 10yrs ago geo was so much different

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    the fit is the question. you guys mail ordering without showrooming first are daring. having a good handle on your stack and reach helps but that would be very hard as 10yrs ago geo was so much different
    Where did I say I hadn't ridden both bikes I was considering?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    The Art's Spiders seem like a great deal, but I have no way to ride one, so I am very hesitant to order.

    Could you share what you have ridden and your thoughts on sizing? I've ridden an XL 5010 and liked it. On paper the XL Intense Spider is longer and lower, the L has the same stack with about 25mm less reach. I'm 6'2", long torso and probably shortish legs for my height.


    Quote Originally Posted by Scott95 View Post
    Where did I say I hadn't ridden both bikes I was considering?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    The Art's Spiders seem like a great deal, but I have no way to ride one, so I am hesitant to order. I've seen many comparisons to the SC 5010. I've ridden an XL 5010 and liked it. On paper the XL Intense Spider is longer and lower, the L has the same stack with about 25mm less reach. I'm 6'2", long torso and probably shortish legs for my height.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    48
    Late reply but might be useful still. I have a Recluse, the higher spec sl frame with the lower spec build kit - ex demo bike. I used to have the spider pro. I like both, better than the 5010 v2 ( I rode one extensively earlier in the year. I think the Recluse retains 85% of the snappy and flickability of the spider, and feels like a slightly more solid bike. Not sure exactly which I prefer, probably the spider because it had that fun bmx feel all the time. Obviously going down steep rough stuff it really makes you focus! The recluse is better at that but still no plow bike so you have to concentrate. It still has more snappiness than the 5010 v2, so is more fun on general trail riding for me. I would have no issue getting the cheaper carbon frame on either bike over the more expensive, 250g is not a deal breaker and all else is supposed to be the same. As for components, I just look for the forks, suspension and wheels, hopefully a dropper post too. Everything else can be used and abused and upgraded when the time comes. If a gx/nx level bike was $1000 cheaper than the same bike with xt and the lighter carbon frame I would pick the cheaper one any day.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    280
    I had a fair amount of time on the spider with the XT components and while it is a great bike, I found it to be a bit on the twitchy side in terms of descending and control. It felt really fast, almost too fast.

    I didn't get a chance to try the 5010 but I did spend a lot of time on the Bronson, which is very similar only with 150" travel. To me, the Bronson was nearly as playful as the spider, but climbed better and was less twitchy and more forgiving.

    Another thing to consider is the warranty - SC is lifetime on frame and bearings, whereas intense is 5 year warranty on the frame only. That and the threaded BB were big factors for me. But those prices on Art's are really killer deals which might trump everything else if I hadn't pulled the trigger on the Bronson.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    32
    I was leaning towards a 5010 D level build and then found a deal on a 275c on bikebling. So went to an Intense dealer and test rode one to see how I'd like it. Ended up ordering the 275c yesterday.
    In riding the two bikes the large 5010 felt good, but the medium 275c ended up feeling perfect. Can't wait for the arrival.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    I've been riding my Spider 275C Expert I bought from Art's for a couple of months now. The bike rides incredibly well and the suspension is amazing. The only adjustments I had to make was cutting the bars down and going with a little longer stem. My trails are twisty and narrow in many places so the 760 mm bars felt like steering a city us. Now that I've got it dialed in, it's a way better bike than I am a rider.

Similar Threads

  1. Took the Spider 275c to Downieville again
    By JCWages in forum Intense
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2016, 12:33 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 03:13 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 07:01 PM
  4. Spider 275c is real and it's rad!
    By JCWages in forum Intense
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-14-2016, 01:43 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 217

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •