Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    54

    Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson

    Hi,
    I am 14 years old and love mtb. I have been coached for about 3 and a half months now and race competitively. My goal is to become a pro rider like Minaar, Antherton, Smith, Semenuk, etc... I would be getting the alloy version of the bike because the carbon is too expensive for me. I currently ride XC but am doing a couple super d/enduro style races this summer and plan to eventually race downhill once my skills are up. This would probably be in about a year or two but i will definitely start doing more enduroish races. I love to go fast and jump anything i can. I cant decide between these two bikes. My issue is is the extra 25mm in the back and 10mm in the front worth the efficiency? I am in love with the 5010's orange but can make a small sacrifice (colors aren't a huge deal). My main goal here is the best all rounder. I want a bike i could still use in an XC race and not be a snail but still be able to shred the downhills. What bike do you guys think i should i get based on the info just gave you?

    -Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    The 5010 is a capable trail bike built to be a cross trainer. It can handle the gnar, but that's not where it shines. It shines on long, epic rides where you have a variety of terrain you must contend with.
    The Bronson is heavier and slower pedaling but faster on downhill sections. Lots of overlap. While I like the 6 inches the Bronson offers, to me that was overkill so I went Solo.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    12,020
    If your goal is to race enduro and move towards DH get the Bronson. It won't stop you from racing XC and it will support the goals you have for the next year or two.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brainbckt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333
    Go with the Bronson if you are gravitating towards enduro and DH. Even with the extra squish, it's an efficient pedaler (it climbs better than my last bike, the more XC-ish Transition Bandit).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    The 5010 is a capable trail bike built to be a cross trainer. It can handle the gnar, but that's not where it shines. It shines on long, epic rides where you have a variety of terrain you must contend with.
    The Bronson is heavier and slower pedaling but faster on downhill sections. Lots of overlap. While I like the 6 inches the Bronson offers, to me that was overkill so I went Solo.
    I dont know why everyone is saying this. On SCs website the bronson isnt even a pound heavier then the 5010 (alloy which is what i would get). The only difference between the two is the slightly longer stanchion up front, the tiny weight difference, and the head angle.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by AtripleJR View Post
    I dont know why everyone is saying this. On SCs website the bronson isnt even a pound heavier then the 5010 (alloy which is what i would get). The only difference between the two is the slightly longer stanchion up front, the tiny weight difference, and the head angle.
    I know this because I have ridden both. Not just in parking lots but on trails. Not knocking the Bronson but steeper angles, less suspension bob, less weight equals a faster bike. Also the lower BB. It's more than static weight.
    I plan to get a Bronson frame eventually for AM riding. I just got the 5010 because it's good for XC and trail.

  7. #7
    bad reputation
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    397
    I owned both the Bronson & 5010 in Carbon X01 setup and I would recommend the 5010 for the following reasons. 5010 is more than capable for Super D and Enduro racing. I used to race a TR carbon and loved it! I cannot imagine attempting to race XC on a Bronson. With the majority of the field on carbon 29er hard tails, you're gonna have to kick a$$ to be competitive on the 5010, and kill yourself on the Bronson to compete. In a year or two your skills will progress and you can get a 150 Pike on the 5010 and it will shred downhill.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amirh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    148
    I bought the 5010 after test riding both for about 30 miles and 4000' elevation each ride (same rides) on familiar terrain. So not very scientific but enough to get a feel for the differences - ignoring the fact that I didn't have time to get used to either of them.
    The 5010 was faster in climbs and even on descents slightly, and I attribute that to the tighter package and less wallow of travel when you don't need it. Also, BB is lower and shorter chainstays make it more nimble.
    Since then I've ridden all of my local trails without missing the extra travel, even on steeps. I would say that if you hit lots of jumps and drops then probably go with Bronson, it's also a very good climber. But I've found that 99% of the time I need 5010 more and that's why I bought it.
    BTW I've put a 140mm Pike on it, best fork out there IMO.
    HTH
    --
    If I work to pay for my rides - then why am I at work right now??

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Those that purchased the 5010, did you get it in orange or in satin black? Before I even knew of the 5010, I imagined my perfect bike as being an orange one. Now that I have the chance to get it, I am concerned that the color might be a little bit loud. I feel that if I'm going to spend this much money, I would want it to stand out.
    Any thoughts?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Those that purchased the 5010, did you get it in orange or in satin black? Before I even knew of the 5010, I imagined my perfect bike as being an orange one. Now that I have the chance to get it, I am concerned that the color might be a little bit loud. I feel that if I'm going to spend this much money, I would want it to stand out.
    Any thoughts?
    I have an orange 5010 frame (carbon). I really like the color. However, with the new frames, the white lettering has changed to "lime green" and I don't like the color scheme nearly as much. I'm also not a fan of black frames - they seem to be way to common on the trails.

    The shop where I bought mine thought that the orange paint chips more easily than the black. Although this could be because a chip in orange paint is just more noticeable. My frame has several chips in the paint now, but it still looks good.


    And as far as the original post... If you're looking to primarily race XC, I'd probably not get the 5010 or the Bronson. I really like the bike and it's a great all day rider, but I'd much rather by on an XC frame for racing. The 5010 is a good climber, but I'd much rather climb on my XC bike - my XC hardtail is faster up hills, which is what matters in XC racing. If your goal is move away from XC racing and into more downhill events, either bike would be a good choice. And if you want to have a bike to have fun on the 5010 is a great bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I have an orange 5010 frame (carbon). I really like the color. However, with the new frames, the white lettering has changed to "lime green" and I don't like the color scheme nearly as much. I'm also not a fan of black frames - they seem to be way to common on the trails.

    The shop where I bought mine thought that the orange paint chips more easily than the black. Although this could be because a chip in orange paint is just more noticeable. My frame has several chips in the paint now, but it still looks good.
    .
    Hello Laffeux....thanks for the input. Believe it or not but I actually like the lime green lettering, so that's good for me. Anyways, I would think that the black would show more scratches since it's a flat black. Ya...you're right that black is too common & there are a lot of them on the trails. Also, it's kind of a Santa Cruz signature/style to have bright pastel & sporty looking colors.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Also, it's kind of a Santa Cruz signature/style to have bright pastel & sporty looking colors.
    If you live in the desert it kind of blends in to the surrounds when it's sunset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson-wp_001201.jpg  

    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    If you live in the desert it kind of blends in to the surrounds when it's sunset.
    Beautiful! Nice! I live in central Texas so it should contrast real nice with the wooded trails & greenery.
    Do you get a lot of compliments from other riders? Where I live, most people ride Specialized & Trek.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amirh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    148
    Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson-p1200495.jpg
    Black with orange hints at stem and pedals (and of course stanchions). But I can't say it stands out, many bikes have stealth/matte gray colors today.
    If you want stand out, orange probably better for the job.
    --
    If I work to pay for my rides - then why am I at work right now??

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by amirh1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1200495.jpg 
Views:	9831 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	919692
    Black with orange hints at stem and pedals (and of course stanchions). But I can't say it stands out, many bikes have stealth/matte gray colors today.
    If you want stand out, orange probably better for the job.
    Beautiful bike. Thanks for sharing.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    67
    If your open for other options....

    Complete bike will be as expensive as an alloy Bronson....


    I don't know about availability in US but how about this.....value for money is great and the Stereo has been a winner in many bike tests.....

    Cube Stereo 140 Super HPC TM 27.5 carbonŽnŽflashred 2015

    Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson-cube-stereo-140-hpc-enduro-magazin-1-von-16-780x520.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson-654700-stereo-140-super-hpc-tm-27.5.jpg  

    Last edited by freeko; 08-31-2014 at 12:48 PM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by freeko View Post
    If your open for other options....

    Complete bike will be as expensive as an alloy Bronson....


    I don't know about availability in US but how about this.....value for money is great and the Stereo has been a winner in many bike tests.....

    Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson-654700-stereo-140-super-hpc-tm-27.5.jpg
    Not sure you're replying to the OP or me but if it were me & I didn't get a Santa Cruz, I'd just stick with something that I am familiar with like Trek or Specialized.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    67
    Reply is for everyone who can appreciate my input....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32
    I demo'd both the 5010 and Bronson. Both felt very similar to me, other than the steering. The 5010 was a lot more sensitive to rider input. I felt more comfortable on the Bronson because it felt more stable.

    I own a Carbon Bronson 1x11. It's does incredibly well both up and down..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,692
    I had a Bronson Al and I now have a Solo Al. For my riding style and the trails I ride 95% of the time, the Bronson was overkill. The Solo can handle just about anything the Bronson can on the DH's, but is a more efficient climber IMO. I also think it's a quicker-handling bike from the 2-3 months I've been riding it here in the Front Range. The Bronson is a great bike as well, I just think the Solo is a better fit for me personally.

    FWIW, I put a 140mm Revelation on the Solo and paired it with a Monarch Plus RC3 and it makes it that much more capable.


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827



    Here is my Solo. Check it out.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    112
    I have a 2014 orange one, with the white. I saw a 2015 with the green this weekend at Northstar and it also looked good. I originally thought I wanted black, but love my orange one now. It does have a few chips in the color coat, under the bottom bracket mostly. I would tape the chainstay ahead of the protector as I also got some chips there.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The Solo can handle just about anything the Bronson can on the DH's, but is a more efficient climber IMO. I also think it's a quicker-handling bike from the 2-3 months I've been riding it here in the Front Range.
    When I test rode them I also thought the Solo was quicker handling, as the main difference. The Bronson felt too slack and downhill oriented to me.

    But I ended up buying a TBLT, which felt as nimble as either of them, with that good 29er rollover. It has a shorter wheelbase than either of those 27.5s believe it or not, and has been a great do everything bike for me.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amirh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    148
    It looks like 5010 with 140mm is a common recurring theme (my bike is that way too). I'm wondering if Santa Cruz shouldn't just spec 5010 as 140mm and leave the shorter travel to the capable TBLT, assuming most people going shorter also prefer the 29er wheels for some compensation. Maybe it becomes too close to the Bronson, but it's still the same dilemma here - as people don't just leave it at 130mm to be farther from Bronson (unless they also own a Bronson, very unlikely).
    --
    If I work to pay for my rides - then why am I at work right now??

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by amirh1 View Post
    It looks like 5010 with 140mm is a common recurring theme (my bike is that way too). I'm wondering if Santa Cruz shouldn't just spec 5010 as 140mm and leave the shorter travel to the capable TBLT, assuming most people going shorter also prefer the 29er wheels for some compensation. Maybe it becomes too close to the Bronson, but it's still the same dilemma here - as people don't just leave it at 130mm to be farther from Bronson (unless they also own a Bronson, very unlikely).
    The TBLT has more travel than the Solo (135 rear with 140 front standard).

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amirh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The TBLT has more travel than the Solo (135 rear with 140 front standard).
    Thanks. I stand corrected then. I've never ridden TB, and it seems on the surface that the range of aggressiveness is Solo < TBLT < Bronson. (haven't checked HT angles and such).
    But I can tell you that I ride a lot of All-mountain on my 5010 w/140mm Pike, the terrain I used to ride with a Spec' Enduro EVO, and almost never miss the lost travel. The bike is very fast out of corners (maybe because low bb) and jumps upto 20' / drops upto 8' are easily manageable.
    I guess SC has many bikes in that sweet all-mountain range... all of them probably very very good choices.
    --
    If I work to pay for my rides - then why am I at work right now??

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    How big of drops are you guys hitting on your Solo/5010's out of curiosity?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by amirh1 View Post
    It looks like 5010 with 140mm is a common recurring theme (my bike is that way too). I'm wondering if Santa Cruz shouldn't just spec 5010 as 140mm and leave the shorter travel to the capable TBLT, assuming most people going shorter also prefer the 29er wheels for some compensation. Maybe it becomes too close to the Bronson, but it's still the same dilemma here - as people don't just leave it at 130mm to be farther from Bronson (unless they also own a Bronson, very unlikely).
    I think the main reason the Solo is specced with that fork is a marketing decision to differentiate it more from the Bronson. The TBLT wouldn't be an option for me, as what I wanted was a quicker steering version of a Bronson, which you pretty much get with a Solo and a beefier fork. A TBLT would be a handful on too many of the technical trails with steep punchy climbs that I ride

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by codypup View Post
    I think the main reason the Solo is specced with that fork is a marketing decision to differentiate it more from the Bronson. The TBLT wouldn't be an option for me, as what I wanted was a quicker steering version of a Bronson, which you pretty much get with a Solo and a beefier fork. A TBLT would be a handful on too many of the technical trails with steep punchy climbs that I ride
    I definitely don't want to get into (another) wheel size discussion, but to me, the TBLT is considerably faster steering than a Bronson.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,053

    Re: Santa Cruz 5010 Vs. Bronson

    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The TBLT has more travel than the Solo (135 rear with 140 front standard).
    Says Santa Cruz. Some folks in TBLT forum measured real rear travel at 120-125mm.
    Not sure if that is really the case though.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,975
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I definitely don't want to get into (another) wheel size discussion, but to me, the TBLT is considerably faster steering than a Bronson.
    It looks like the TBLT has a steeper HTA by about 1.5 degrees (compared to the 5010) - that would account for the slightly shorter wheelbase on the Tall Boy. I'd guess, based on the geometry, that the TBLT would handle more quickly than either the 5010 or the Bronson. For taller riders looking for a more "sporty" bike than the Bronson, the 5010 and TBLT would both be good choices - there's a lot of overlap between the two.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Says Santa Cruz. Some folks in TBLT forum measured real rear travel at 120-125mm.
    Not sure if that is really the case though.
    I read that too. I have TBLT but haven't measured. But I guess you'd have to measure the other bikes too, if they misreport 1, then they could do the same with the others.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    I think the bikes fit different applications. The TB is an XC bike, the TBLT more trail. People who ride Solos/Bronsons ride more for fun. The Solo/5010 is a do-it-all bike that doesn't really try be the best at anything, but rather good at everything.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    82
    I opted for the 5010 too, after initially looking at the Bronson. I was really impressed with how well it climbs. The geo is very balanced and in some ways it pedals better than a hardtail 29er I was riding previously.

    I'll probably take the spacers out of the fork and extend it to 140mm as well.

    Does anyone know if it's possible to get a bit more travel out of the rear shock beyond 125mm?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul_Duke2k View Post
    I opted for the 5010 too, after initially looking at the Bronson. I was really impressed with how well it climbs. The geo is very balanced and in some ways it pedals better than a hardtail 29er I was riding previously.

    I'll probably take the spacers out of the fork and extend it to 140mm as well.

    Does anyone know if it's possible to get a bit more travel out of the rear shock beyond 125mm?
    Lots of talk of this on other Solo/5010 threads and pretty much the answer is no if you don't want to void frame warranty or potentially damage your frame. Lots of guys are upgrading rear shocks though, and getting better performance that way. I find the 140/125mm setup works well for all applications.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    How big of drops are you guys hitting on your Solo/5010's out of curiosity?
    My background is in DH. A lot of people call bs when the see my 22 lb. solo, but that bike seriously hucks! I have hit the odd road gap, and some pretty decent sized drops... im guessing 6ish ft. as i can stand under the lip? the stupid bike is so capable, i forget that its supposed to be my race "weenie" bike.

  37. #37
    JHH
    JHH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JHH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    366
    [QUOTE=GnarBrahWyo;11427540]I think the bikes fit different applications. The TB is an XC bike, the TBLT more trail. People who ride Solos/Bronsons ride more for fun. The Solo/5010 is a do-it-all bike that doesn't really try be the best at anything, but rather good at everything.[/QUOTE

    The type of bike you ride has no bearing on whether your having fun or not. Says the TB rider with a huge smile on his face.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    [QUOTE=JHH;11429723]
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I think the bikes fit different applications. The TB is an XC bike, the TBLT more trail. People who ride Solos/Bronsons ride more for fun. The Solo/5010 is a do-it-all bike that doesn't really try be the best at anything, but rather good at everything.[/QUOTE

    The type of bike you ride has no bearing on whether your having fun or not. Says the TB rider with a huge smile on his face.
    Don't think anyone would disagree. However getting a bike best suited to your riding style only maximizes the fun factor.

  39. #39
    ready to ride
    Reputation: mattnmtns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    851
    For the OP. If you are truly interested in XC racing, get a more XC oriented bike. One thing you failed to mention is where do you ride? XC and downhill can mean very different things in different regions. Remember the bike is just a tool, its the rider that makes the difference. I don't want to get into the wheel size debate. I like both 650b and 29er. I currently ride a 29er which happens to be a TB. My next bike will more than likely be a 650b but I'm not ruling out another 29er. Nor should you if you are serious about XC racing. I just got back from riding in Jackson WY and the Teton pass, which has some serious DH riding. I was hitting big gap jumps and drops. Even hitting some that a friend wouldn't do on his Ibis Mojo. Then again another friend hit just about everything on his Nomad. Most of the higher end bikes today are so capable you can really do a lot with any of them.

    I wish I could give you a good comparison. I have rented and demoed Bronson Cs at two different trail centers in Scotland, but not any 5010s. First one was a bit too small and I wasn't all that impressed. The second one was a large and it was spot on for me. I thought both climbed well for VPP. Rocks, drops, and air was awesome.

    As always the best advice would be to go to your LBS and demo both and any other brands, or models. Don't pigeon hole yourself to a single model or brand just because its the current hype. Demo, and then pick one that feels the best to you, and will also suit your current needs. If that is XC racing then go that route. By the time you are ready for a more Trail/AM bike chances are if you have been racing and riding the hell out you soon to be new bike you are going to be looking to upgrade in about 2 years anyways.

    Best of luck to your future in riding!
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 10:05 PM
  2. Comparing and fitting Santa Cruz 5010 vs Tallboy 2
    By JumpinStumps in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
  4. Santa Cruz Bronson
    By reformed roadie in forum 27.5
    Replies: 256
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
  5. Santa Cruz 5010
    By CrozCountry in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 08:22 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.