mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Recommend me a trail/enduro bike ($4000 budget)

Im fairly new to mountain biking (two years) coming from the roadie side. My current MB is a very nice Giant Anthem Advanced SX XC bike. I love the bike but purchased it with a roadie mentality where weight was a top priority. While the bikes capability far exceeds my skills, I feel like some extra travel would benefit me on some of the more technical rides. I'm leaning toward another Giant bike simply cause I can get nearly 30% off any 2018 bike. Right now looking at the 2018 Trance Advanced 1 with 140/150 travel. The bike MSRP's at $5000 but I can purchase it for $4200 OTD. What other bikes in this price range do you recommend?
    BTW I'm 5'6" and weight 158lbs.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    2017-2018 Trek Remedy 8 Best bang for the buck in that price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    FWIW, I rode a Trance Advanced a couple of years ago, so I don't know what changes they have made. It was in Bozeman Montana on a very rocky technical climb and I was absolutely blown away at how well it rode.

L1MEY
    At that price point you're not going to find a bad bike... it's all down to fit and personal preference. I would test ride as many as possible and buy the one that gives you the biggest grin

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

always licking the glass

Recommend me a trail/enduro bike ($4000 budget)

Guerrilla Gravity, Ibis, Trek, Giant, and Santa Cruz have some at that price point. You'll have some good options. Not sure about the Spesh Enduro, but you'll have plenty of options. Go test ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Where do you live? That's a good discount on Giant. I'm also looking at the Trance, but also considering Devinci Django, Kona Process, and also direct to consumer with Commensal Meta TR, and YT Jeffsy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Where do you live? That's a good discount on Giant. I'm also looking at the Trance, but also considering Devinci Django, Kona Process, and also direct to consumer with Commensal Meta TR, and YT Jeffsy.
    Im in So Cal, north of LA.

mtbr member
    I just got a DiamondBack Release 3 today. My first foray into this segment of bikes but I'm pretty impressed so far just in the general build quality of the bike. No rides yet so a lot yet TBD but for my needs at least...I think this bike will be killer...and at $2,200 to my house...it's a pretty smokin' deal considering the component list. It might be something at least worth taking a few minutes to check out.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Whereabouts? Unfortunately we ride different size frames or I could let you try a few bikes. Depending on where you ride here your Anthem is probably enough. Way too many people are overbiked riding like clowns on 150 or 160mm bikes. $4k gives you a lot of choices so try to demo as much as you can. Various suspension types with different characteristics so you have to find the one(s) that suit your trails and riding style.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Whereabouts? Unfortunately we ride different size frames or I could let you try a few bikes. Depending on where you ride here your Anthem is probably enough. Way too many people are overbiked riding like clowns on 150 or 160mm bikes. $4k gives you a lot of choices so try to demo as much as you can. Various suspension types with different characteristics so you have to find the one(s) that suit your trails and riding style.
    I'm 10 miles south of Tapia Canyon bike trail.

Keep on Rockin...
    Im fairly new to mountain biking (two years) coming from the roadie side. My current MB is a very nice Giant Anthem Advanced SX XC bike. I love the bike but purchased it with a roadie mentality where weight was a top priority. While the bikes capability far exceeds my skills, I feel like some extra travel would benefit me on some of the more technical rides. I'm leaning toward another Giant bike simply cause I can get nearly 30% off any 2018 bike. Right now looking at the 2018 Trance Advanced 1 with 140/150 travel. The bike MSRP's at $5000 but I can purchase it for $4200 OTD. What other bikes in this price range do you recommend?
    BTW I'm 5'6" and weight 158lbs.
    Thanks!
    Good bike.

If the shop you are getting it from to is there to help you out, buy it.

Sure, you can try many other bikes, but you likely will not even be sure exactly what you are feeling on each bike. In that range you'd be hard pressed to find a bad bike. I know guys riding over a dozen years who still don't know how to set up their suspension or tire pressures correctly, so unless you are super in tune to exactly how you need a bike to feel, I'd stick with what's in front of you.

I would buy that bike if I needed a good all-rounder. My DH rig is a Giant and I am very happy with it.

mtbr member
    If you're keeping the Anthem, maybe a Reign would be more complimentary

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    At that budget and what you want to ride the list is huge

Lot's of the brands/models already been addressed.
    trek Fuel EX plus, Trek Slash, Trek Remedy, Intense Primer, Intense Recluse, Niner Jet 9, Niner RIP 9.All fun playful bikes
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    check out the 2018 Fuel EX8/Remedy 8 for sure. I own the 2018 Remedy 8 and it is a fantastic build for the price ($3299).

mtbr member
    I'm 10 miles south of Tapia Canyon bike trail.
    Is Tapia (as in Castaic?) the area you plan on riding all the time? If so...you don't need much to ride there.

I'm riding a Banshee Spitfire (140/150) and it'll handle Tapia, Pinos, Mammoth, and more.

The Trance Advanced 1 is a pretty nice ride. If you can score a good deal on it...I'd go for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is that a sale price or special discount?

I'm in Norcal. I have to say for whatever reason there seems to be more bike shops or better deals in Socal. Just searching online, I see much more deals on Giant than I do up here in the Bay area. I guess it might be worth a trip down to save a a few hundred bucks.

mtbr member
    I'm coming off a Giant Anthem converted to SX and am loving my Scott Genius 700. The ebay deal is still going on, so for just over $3k you can grab a nearly $8000 bike that is quite a bit more robust than the Anthem and only a pound or so heavier. Not the latest Boost technology but a great ride out here in Socal conditions.
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Is Tapia (as in Castaic?) the area you plan on riding all the time? If so...you don't need much to ride there.

I'm riding a Banshee Spitfire (140/150) and it'll handle Tapia, Pinos, Mammoth, and more.

The Trance Advanced 1 is a pretty nice ride. If you can score a good deal on it...I'd go for it.
    Yeah I ride Tapia in Castaic all the time. Great trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is that a sale price or special discount?

I'm in Norcal. I have to say for whatever reason there seems to be more bike shops or better deals in Socal. Just searching online, I see much more deals on Giant than I do up here in the Bay area. I guess it might be worth a trip down to save a a few hundred bucks.
    No he's a Giant dealer located in Ventura that has the best prices on any dealer in town. Cool guy!

mtbr member
    Well my Buddy just got the Trance Advanced 2 for around $3500 and I just got the Ibis Mojo 3 for $4000, I Cant tell ya a ton about the giant since ive never ridden it but i can tell you that the ibis is a great all around trail bike with enduro style geometry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake07 View Post
    Well my Buddy just got the Trance Advanced 2 for around $3500 and I just got the Ibis Mojo 3 for $4000, I Cant tell ya a ton about the giant since ive never ridden it but i can tell you that the ibis is a great all around trail bike with enduro style geometry.
    What year advanced 2, 2017 or 2018?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Look into the new Scott Genius, it may be the tail bike to end all trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Go for the trance, it's the best value you'll find IMO.

I demoed the 2017 and it was in the top 5 on my list(demoed 27 bikes total). The 2018 is even better. My budget was higher and I wanted more of an enduro rig so ended up going for an Ibis HD4 but I don't think you'll find a better deal than the trance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecla View Post
    Go for the trance, it's the best value you'll find IMO.

I demoed the 2017 and it was in the top 5 on my list(demoed 27 bikes total). The 2018 is even better. My budget was higher and I wanted more of an enduro rig so ended up going for an Ibis HD4 but I don't think you'll find a better deal than the trance.
    BTW, did you demo a Yeti as well? If so do you think the SB5 or the SB5.5 are the better compare against the Trance Advanced? I'm thinking SB5. I feel 160mm front is a bit too much for an everyday trail bike. Plus I think the weight wise the SB5 and Trance Advanced will be closer. I want to compare the Maestro/DW style to the Switch Infinity suspension.

I think the Eagle builds for both are close with Yeti is $600 more. Of course Trance gets the carbon wheels which is a big advantage. And Trance more likely to find it on sale/discount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would not worry about a 160mm fork being too much. I never notice my fork bobbing, the 36 is generally run pretty stiff as well.

I demoed the yeti SB6 at Duthie Hill outside Seattle but didn't try the 5 or 5.5. The SB6 felt really really good, super light and sprightly, kinda magical honestly. It was one of the lightest bikes I rode. I think the tires were also faster rolling, the dirt was hero that day so I didn't have to deal with the downside of somewhat lower traction.

I talked with the shop I was buying from that stocks pivot, yeti, ibis, evil, transition, devinci and decided against a yeti because of the short warranty(2 years) and their opinon that they saw a higher failure rate and didn't have as good a warranty/crash replacement customer service experience as with the other brands they stock. If you are going to be replacing the bike in a few years then the yeti is probably going to feel slightly better. I kept my last bike for 9 years so I'm looking for something that will last longer and provide better support if I do have an issue.

I still think the trance advanced 1 is a much better value, it's probably 80-90% as magical feeling as the yeti. It comes with carbon wheels which is pretty hard to beat at it's price and it's darn light. Maestro link pedals pretty much like dw-link. Giant has a lifetime warranty.

If I had no concerns on durability or warranty and planned to upgrade to a carbon wheelset later on then yeah I would probably go with the yeti. Given your budget constraints and the discount you mentioned I would go with the giant.

Find some shops that will demo them and try them out on trail.. it's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought a 2016 Yeti SB5 (so non-boost) with SLX drivetrain and brakes, 150mm Fox Factory 34 and Factory DPS EVOL, plus Reynolds AM carbon hoops.

Haven't got to hit serious downhill or much chunk so can't comment on that, but it pedals extremely well (firm, trail or open settings). Very composed on the chunky stuff I've hit so far tho.

Mine's about 28 lbs with pedals and 125mm dropper so I have no complaints there.

I've also had a little demo time on 2016 Santa Cruz 5010, 2016 ibis Ripley LS and a 2017 ibis Mojo 3 with 2.8 tires.

The 5010 was nice. Pedaled well but I'd give the edge to the SB5, Ripley and Mojo for pedaling/climbing over the 5010.

The Rip was a helluva lot of fun. A damn good climber, but still handled moderate chunk pretty decently. A fast bike and still rather nimble for a 29er. I probably would've bought a Ripley but really wanted to go 27.5 as I already have a 29er hardtail.

My wife ended up buying a Mojo 3 and running 2.8 tires. Close to the same weight as my SB5 , even with slightly lower spec build (Fox performance suspension and ibis 738 aluminum wheel set) and plus tires. It's a fun bike as well. Still give my Yeti the edge over it on climbing but I don't think they are worlds apart there. Wasn't sure how fast it would feel with the plus tires but it's surprised me so far. Probably would've bought a Mojo 3 for myself if I hadn't got the SB5.

Lots of really good bikes out there in your category, especially at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Look at or demo a Yeti SB5 carbon. I've been mtn biking since 1987 and riding off Road since I got my first bike at age 5, just over 50 years ago! I bought the 2016 demo Yeti SB5 Enduro a year ago and I still have that new-bike-smile during and after every ride! For a guy with ADHD (we enjoy novelty for novelty sake)(I used to dream about getting a new bike or fixing up what I had after every ride) that speaks volumes. I just love everything about my bike, and I suppose since Golden, CO is 15-20 miles away Yeti tests their designs on the same stuff I ride most.

I would like to try the SB5+ with the 27.5"+ tires as I am 6'3" and 195 lbs and the other bike I was demoing was a Trek with the wider tires but I felt the SB5 was more comfortable and just all around funner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sjkexperience View Post
    Look at or demo a Yeti SB5 carbon. I've been mtn biking since 1987 and riding off Road since I got my first bike at age 5, just over 50 years ago! I bought the 2016 demo Yeti SB5 Enduro a year ago and I still have that new-bike-smile during and after every ride! For a guy with ADHD (we enjoy novelty for novelty sake)(I used to dream about getting a new bike or fixing up what I had after every ride) that speaks volumes. I just love everything about my bike, and I suppose since Golden, CO is 15-20 miles away Yeti tests their designs on the same stuff I ride most.

I would like to try the SB5+ with the 27.5"+ tires as I am 6'3" and 195 lbs and the other bike I was demoing was a Trek with the wider tires but I felt the SB5 was more comfortable and just all around funner.
    It's on my radar. And found a 2016 SB5 for a good price. I just need to find a bike to try and demo. All the LBS in my area already sold out of 2017 and waiting on the 2018 to restock. Same for Giant Trance. Only bike I can find a demo is the Ibis Mojo 3 - and any Santa Cruz since I'm not that far away from their HQ.

That said, depending on how my ride goes on the Mojo 3 will either hold off for the 2017 SB5 which is PLUS compatible or the SB5+. If I fall in love with the Mojo 3, then I'll buy that instead. Or if I ever get a chance to ride the Trance and it delivers the 95% of fun factor, with the added value of the carbon wheels at the same price point, I might just jump there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's on my radar. And found a 2016 SB5 for a good price. I just need to find a bike to try and demo. All the LBS in my area already sold out of 2017 and waiting on the 2018 to restock. Same for Giant Trance. Only bike I can find a demo is the Ibis Mojo 3 - and any Santa Cruz since I'm not that far away from their HQ.

That said, depending on how my ride goes on the Mojo 3 will either hold off for the 2017 SB5 which is PLUS compatible or the SB5+. If I fall in love with the Mojo 3, then I'll buy that instead. Or if I ever get a chance to ride the Trance and it delivers the 95% of fun factor, with the added value of the carbon wheels at the same price point, I might just jump there.
    Not sure of your height or other frame sizes you've ridden, but I'm 5' 9" and about a 32" biking inseam. I got a medium 2016 Yeti SB5 and size-wise it feels pretty dialed for me. It was spec'd with a 785mm bar and even tho I don't have ape arms, I feel fairly comfortable in the cockpit (although there are some pretty tight tree gaps in my area that have me cringing a bit with the wider bars).

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I just got a Guerrilla Megatrail so I am a little jaded when I say it is a fantastic bike in the 150 and 165mm travel categories and think it should be a lot higher on peoples lists of bikes (their other bikes are kick-ass as well).

I can also easily say they have the best customer service I have ever encountered and there is also that I know my hard earned money went to fuel fellow riders following a dream.

the only thing that someone can complain about is that the stickers on the bike are not staying as well on some of the sharp corners. But I didn't buy the bike for perfect sticker adhesion I bought to ride it hard and fast and it performs that task flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I decided to go to a different direction and ordered a 2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8. Nice to have a fun full suspension fat bike to complement my cross country. Thanks for all the input!