mtbr member
    May 2016

Recommend me a full suspension carbon frameset

I purchased a diamondback release earlier this year. I now have the itch to upgrade the frame, but I am having a hard time finding anything I am looking for that is available as a frame only. I am trying to keep all of my current components to help minimize the cost.

My requirements:
    - Carbon
    - Boost spacing
    - can work with a 150mm fork
    - Sub $2000
    - All mountain / euro style

mtbr member
    Intense is selling their 2017 Spider frame for $1299, seems like a good deal. They are spec壇 with a 130-140mm fork but some owners have bumped that up to 150.

https://intensecycles.com/collection...=3776087392279

edit: I noticed the silver Spider frame is $100 less at $1199
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...7-spider-frame
    Last edited by manpurse; 12-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ good deal.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thank for the info. That does look like a good deal, but I am a bit nervous on setting it up for 150mm. I would really like something designed for it from the factory. Right now I think I am leaning towards the bronson as the 2017 can be had right in my budget, but I'm still on the fence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ibis Mojo HD3. Still a few more left out there if you can find your size.

https://www.backcountry.com/ibis-moj...ike-frame-2017

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BTW. What don't you like about your DB release? Heavy?

If you don't like the Level-Link which is copy of the VPP on the Santa Cruz and Intense. You'll likely not like options from SC or Intense either.

Personally I like DW-link better than VPP so I recommended the Ibis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    https://www.backcountry.com/santa-cr...VzLWZyYW1lcw==

Use Active Junky and get 8% rebate........

I bought this frame after demo'ing it in November. The new VPP pedals nice, not as good as the DW on my Ripley, but close enough.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    BTW. What don't you like about your DB release? Heavy?
    I really like the release. It is a touch heavy, but my biggest issue is climbing with it. I cant keep the front wheel on the ground on most of the climbs when seated.

Honestly I'm mostly looking to switch just for fun to change things up. My current frame is in great condition and i feel I can offset a lot of the cost of changing things up.

I will look into the Ibis if I can find one in my size it could be an option

mtbr member
    Carbon Squish frame for under $2K is going to be a challenge. At that price you might be better off picking up an aluminum frame with excellent suspension versus a cheap carbon frame.

Banshee Spitfire is an excellent ride.

If you had a bigger budget I strongly recommend something from the Yeti camp like a SB5. I have been flogging the SB6 for the last 2 years and the bike pedals amazing for a 6 inch travel rig.

Hopefully you find something on the year end closeouts.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBforlife View Post
    Carbon Squish frame for under $2K is going to be a challenge. At that price you might be better off picking up an aluminum frame with excellent suspension versus a cheap carbon frame...
    Totally disagree, the frames mentioned so far are pretty good bikes and a hair over $2k.

The 5010 is also on sale at backcountry. Not boost but I got this 2016 Stumpy frame for like 60% off with dropper post and headset, ordered and price matched at my LBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjay View Post
    ... Right now I think I am leaning towards the bronson as the 2017 can be had right in my budget, but I'm still on the fence.
    There is a weird thing Backcountry does to get you to pull the trigger if you keep adding it to your cart and come back every day, they offer a temporary discount to get you to bite. Last week they took an additional $100 off inside the cart and my buddy bought a Bronson 2.0 His Bronson 1.0 was bought the same way after they offered an additional $250 off inside the cart, the 2.0 was about to be released but $1k off retail was too hard to pass on. Bad or good tracking cookies really do know what you desire. I have a feeling they may do this on Christmas or the day after. Also check the Active Junky exclusions and see if you can get a rebate on this, every little bit adds up. Also don't sit on the fence too long or your size/color may disappear like my HD3

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    One benefit with Santa Cruz is lifetime warranty. I was riding with someone today and SC sent him a new frame because the paint peeled off on his old one from the protection tape removal. INSANE!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was pretty sure I was going to go with the Bronson. I went to a local dealer and test rode one as well as a 5010 and I must say I liked the 5010 more which was surprising. The 5010 is almost identical to the spider so that is what I picked up. With the money I save I can do some upgrades and adjusting my Pike to 140mm wont be to hard if I don't like the geo at 150mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ryjay congarts on your new bike! I知 sure it is awesome! But one thing to note: the release is a copy of the 5010, not the Bronson. The 5010 headtube and seattube are 1 degree steeper and the bb is 6mm shorter compared to the release. If you put a 150mm fork on a 5010 those numbers equalize.

I知 really interested in the release, but knowing it is basically and overforked 5010 I知 worried it値l have the negative effects of do that. Such as, too slack of a seattube and too much front wheel lift/wander. Which, sounds like what your experience was. If you care to add to the conversation, what is your ultimate take on the release and the release vs 5010?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Ryjay congarts on your new bike! I知 sure it is awesome! But one thing to note: the release is a copy of the 5010, not the Bronson. The 5010 headtube and seattube are 1 degree steeper and the bb is 6mm shorter compared to the release. If you put a 150mm fork on a 5010 those numbers equalize.

I知 really interested in the release, but knowing it is basically and overforked 5010 I知 worried it値l have the negative effects of do that. Such as, too slack of a seattube and too much front wheel lift/wander. Which, sounds like what your experience was. If you care to add to the conversation, what is your ultimate take on the release and the release vs 5010?
    So I got an intense Spider not a 5010, but the geo is very similar. I think the spider has a bit shorter chain-stay and steeper seat tube angle than the 5010. I currently have the spider with my 150mm Pike on it as I have not received all of the parts to reduce the travel.

I can say without a doubt the spider climbs better than the release even with the 150mm fork on it. With the release I could not keep the front tire down on climbs and would be wandering all over the place.

The spider is more nimble and playful feeling to me. As far as descending goes I do feel I gave up a little bit, but not much. I was honestly skeptical it would really feel any different than my release with the 150mm fork on it because on paper the geo is so similar to the release. Which makes me believe you just can not compare bikes by geo alone.

Honestly there is really nothing wrong with the release I feel its a bit more optimized for going down than up. I could have easily lived with the bike for quite some time. I just like to change things up.
    Originally when I started looking for a new frame I was in the upgrade to more travel mindset, but when I really looked at the kind of riding I do I realized that while I live for the decent, I spend way more time on the flats and going uphill to get there so something like the 5010 or spider was a better choice than a bronson, release or something similar.