mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Rear wheel suggestion for 148 boost

I seem to keep denting giant stock (xct1) rear rims on my 2017 trance2. Can anyone recommend a more heavy duty rear wheel than the giant factory stuff?
    Do carbon rims stand up to more abuse than aluminum rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman View Post
    I seem to keep denting giant stock (xct1) rear rims on my 2017 trance2. Can anyone recommend a more heavy duty rear wheel than the giant factory stuff?
    Do carbon rims stand up to more abuse than aluminum rims?
    Yes on Carbon,
    Look at Light Bicycle US, or Nox rims. The rim has nothing to do with the hub size. You want to get a boost spacing hub in 12x148 if that's what your bikes spacing is.

I love my Nox rims and I9 hubs
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are you running the right pressure for your weight and riding?
    Tallboy 3
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Yeah, seems as though your pressure could be too low....and yes on carbon also.

mtbr member
    Giant rims are garbage. Pretty much anything will be better. Hope wheels from crc are a great value. I recently got a bontrager line elite to replace the xc 1 rear on my anthem and have been very impressed with it as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    Giant rims are garbage. Pretty much anything will be better. Hope wheels from crc are a great value. I recently got a bontrager line elite to replace the xc 1 rear on my anthem and have been very impressed with it as well.
    Thanks buddy. I started a thread in the wheels section since I thought it was a better place for it. I didn't see the wheel forum the first time through. Sorry about the double post.

I am about 180 lbs. I keep the rear wheel at 32 psi. I have a 2.20 hutchinson cougar tire on there right now in tubeless mode. The tire is pretty tough and at 32 psi I do not believe that is the issue.

I've been looking at wheelbuilder and colorado cyclist. They seem to have good selections of rims, hubs, etc. Right now I'm thinking of a 350 DTswiss hub with a EX471 DT rim. At this point I could pick a carbon rim.....I just need to figure out which one to pick.

Although potentially not related .....we once used aluminum arrows for archery. They always bent and exploded if you missed the target. When carbon fiber arrows came along the whole thing changed....those carbon fiber arrows are really tough and outlast aluminum ones by a lot. So this is why I wondered if it is a similar situation for aluminum vs. carbon rims.

BTW who is crc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman View Post
    Thanks buddy. I started a thread in the wheels section since I thought it was a better place for it. I didn't see the wheel forum the first time through. Sorry about the double post.

I am about 180 lbs. I keep the rear wheel at 32 psi. I have a 2.20 hutchinson cougar tire on there right now in tubeless mode. The tire is pretty tough and at 32 psi I do not believe that is the issue.

I've been looking at wheelbuilder and colorado cyclist. They seem to have good selections of rims, hubs, etc. Right now I'm thinking of a 350 DTswiss hub with a EX471 DT rim. At this point I could pick a carbon rim.....I just need to figure out which one to pick.

Although potentially not related .....we once used aluminum arrows for archery. They always bent and exploded if you missed the target. When carbon fiber arrows came along the whole thing changed....those carbon fiber arrows are really tough and outlast aluminum ones by a lot. So this is why I wondered if it is a similar situation for aluminum vs. carbon rims.

BTW who is crc?
    Carbon is plenty durable for rims, but so is aluminum. It just depends on your budget. High end aluminum rims just aren't as stiff as carbon.

Crc= chain reaction cycles

mtbr member

Rear wheel suggestion for 148 boost

Nextie carbon wheels with dt350 hubs can be had for 800-900 depending on options. Thatís about the price of a good set of alloy wheels with good hubs and spokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by djevox; 10-07-2017 at 08:51 AM.