mtbr member

Raleigh Tokul 4130

Ordered it. Will ship end of March.

Figured I'd give it a try. Have an XXIX I absolutely love.

Can't wait to try gears again, get another steel bike, and try out the new wheel size.

I had the most fun riding a Stumpjumper FSR 26", 29ers are much easier on technical climbs, I hope this Tokul is right in the middle.

XXIX

Tokul 4130

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    120MM fork?

mtbr member
    130 actually... More than I wanted but obviously not a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was looking at this bike today. What did it cost?

mtbr member
    $1850, still haven't gotten it yet. Waiting for the shop to receive it still.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just ordered mine last week. Can anyone tell me what the seat tube outer diameter is? I want to buy a QR seatpost clamp and put a front derailleur on it. I don't think these old legs can live without a granny gear. Is the seatpost a 2 bolt or a one bolt post? Hard to tell from the pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babu9000 View Post
    I just ordered mine last week. Can anyone tell me what the seat tube outer diameter is? I want to buy a QR seatpost clamp and put a front derailleur on it. I don't think these old legs can live without a granny gear. Is the seatpost a 2 bolt or a one bolt post? Hard to tell from the pictures.
    Sadly I never got mine. I was hit with multiple thousands of dollars owed to our fine government and had to put it off my list... my down payment is now $450 of store credit at the shop and I was never notified if/when the bike came in. Sorry I can't help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    awww sorry to hear it man. I'll post pics when I get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I finally got my Tokul 4130

So, I finally got my Tokul 4130 after waiting a few weeks. I changed a few things last night and took it our for a ride today and it was a blast. I still have a few tweaks to do with setup, but I look forward to putting a lot of miles on this thing.
    I changed the wheels to RaceFace Turbines, the bars, the seat, installed a SRAM 2x10 drivetrain, SLX brakes, and a couple of other knick knacks. Here are some pics...

Raleigh Tokul 4130-img_1261.jpgRaleigh Tokul 4130-img_1262.jpgRaleigh Tokul 4130-img_1263.jpgRaleigh Tokul 4130-img_1264.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    looks nice. How'd it feel to ride. Be nice to hear what others that have ridden the 4130 say. I'm hoping to test ride one this weekend.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I only have one ride on it so far, but here are first impressions...
    It's a big difference between carbon and steel. My main bike is a carbon hardtail 29er so pedaling of course there is a big difference. With my carbon hardtail stepping on the pedal is like stepping on concrete, very stiff and all the power goes forward. The steel frame is a bit springy, but that is what having a steel bike is about, right? This bike has more of an upright trail feel and feels more relaxed. I am not sure if I like the Hans Dampf tire its a little "tractor treadish" for the trails that I ride, but i'll keep it on for the time being.
    Last edited by babu9000; 06-18-2014 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks.
    ds
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys, I gotta share and see if anyone is having this issue. I had the bright green '14 tokul. Loved the bike. Super fun. However within 5 months of owning it, my seat stay welds started seperating from the seat tube. Raleigh sent me a '15 replacement frame. It's been 2.5 months and the exact same thing is happening on this frame. Also, when I first got the frame, the stock Hans dampf 2.35 that came on the '14, would not clear the '15 frame. What gives? I'm super irritated about breaking the same frame in the same spot in less than 3 months. It's a 4130 frame. I love the long travel hard tail but I hate aluminum. Going through with warranty to see my options

Has anyone else experienced this with the tokuls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Hey guys, I gotta share and see if anyone is having this issue. I had the bright green '14 tokul. Loved the bike. Super fun. However within 5 months of owning it, my seat stay welds started seperating from the seat tube. Raleigh sent me a '15 replacement frame. It's been 2.5 months and the exact same thing is happening on this frame. Also, when I first got the frame, the stock Hans dampf 2.35 that came on the '14, would not clear the '15 frame. What gives? I'm super irritated about breaking the same frame in the same spot in less than 3 months. It's a 4130 frame. I love the long travel hard tail but I hate aluminum. Going through with warranty to see my options

Has anyone else experienced this with the tokuls?

I've had mine for a while now. Should probably check the stays now! Honestly though I have several bikes so I probably don't ride it as much as you ride yours. I will say that it rides a lot stiffer than some other steel frames I've had (2 Konas and a Salsa). I wonder if that harshness is part of the durability issues. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What year is yours? The 14 came with 2.35 Hans dampf wire bead front and rear. The 15 came with kenda nevegal 2.35 front and 2.1 rear. My hand dampf no longer fits the 15 rear frame and I'm guessing it's because QC didn't catch the rear triangle being much tighter. It's also slightly out of alignment. My frame builder friend took a park alignment tool and found it to be about 7mm offset in one direction. My new 2.25 definitely hugs one side chain stay. Super irritated with what's going on with Raleigh and these frames. Love them but I'm ready to move on if they don't produce good quality for $1800 retail.

I want to state I have had an absolute blast on these frames and have done a handful of endurance races on them. It's a shame I'm having so many issues.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    love the bike, biggest downfall is the straight steerer head tube. youll never find a replacement fork for it. if it was tapered I think a lot more people would consider it
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That is true. Very unfortunate for a 2015 bike.

So no one else with weld cracking issues?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I am working on my 3rd frame on my 2015 Raleigh Tokul 4130. I could not be more disgusted with Raleigh first crack on down tube welds, 2nd drive side chainstay, got another frame after a month and the dropout is bent and the rear chainstays are out of whack!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi. I am looking for wheelbase. Could someone measure it? It will be wonderfull to get the numbers for Large, but Medium is ok too

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sorry reviving such a old thread. But I wanted your opinion on these frames. Do you think they have fixed the weld issues in them by now?

I have been looking for a "good" deal used bike all winter and haven't found one worth buying. Ether prices are way too high or the bike had issues.

So I have been saving up. Thinking buying a new bike might be the way to go. And the Raleigh Tokul 4130 was on that short list. With the Marin Pine Mountain, and On-One DeeDar "Though these are sopost to be cheap I guess?"

Just noticed Head angles are all over the place... 4130 "67.5", DeeDar "65.5", Pine "69"

As far as newer steel bikes go these are what I was considering.

If I had the money I would look into 2SoulsCycles and Cotic. But I think those are like $1,000-$1,500 just for the frame...

What do you think. Is the Raleigh still a viable option?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Don't forget the Norco torrent ht+

I loved my tokuls but they both had flaws in 2014 and 2015. After that I gave up on raleigh. Buy at your own risk.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Tokul has been discontinued. Raleigh's mountain bikes from what I've heard are going to be discontinued. They have a few bikes getting restocked this month, but from what I understand, that going to be it. Sticking to road and comfort.

That said... You can't beat 67.5 HA for a trail bike.