mtbr member

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.

Hello there to all the Bianchi _._.S.S. owners who've jumped to 650b. It seems that there are a few threads that have pics of their steeds but there is no thread that has shown them all. Whadda say, anyone else interested in completing the list of 650b converted SS's into one thread. I'd love to see 'em all. I'm throwin' up the M.U.S.S. cause there's no fuss when you got the muss!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-img00197-20120630-1900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mine is posted under this forum, titled "Bianchi DISS SS"

mtbr member
    I know that there are a few individual threads with pics of the SS series that have been converted to 650b. Since there's so much interest in those frames and several postings, I figured that perhaps they deserve their own pic thread. I have seen your posting Hurricane Jeff, as well as TimT's PUSS posting along with a pic of a CUSS and figured why not see if we can complete the list in one thread. I figured why not ask, that way I don't have to have several open threads to see them all. Not trying to steal your thread mojo. Just asking to see if anyone else is interested in completing the list. SISS, SASS, MUSS, CUSS all are welcome.

M.U.S.S. = More Urban Single Speed
    S.A.S.S. = Shiny Ass Single Speed
    P.U.S.S. = Pink Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed
    B.U.S.S. = Brown(or Butt) Ultimate or (Ugly) Single Speed
    W.U.S.S. = White Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed
    G.U.S.S. = Giallo Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed
    D.I.S.S. = Disc Integrated Single Speed
    B.A.S.S. = Bad Ass Single Speed
    C.U.S.S. = Celeste Ultimate (or Ugly) Single Speed
    B.O.S.S. = Big Orange Single Speed
    S.I.S.S. = Steel Idiot Single Speed (or Steel Is Simple Stupid)

copied from the Bianchi Secret Codes? thread, info posted by stumonkey

Some of these are open to interpretation, especially by the owners=riders.

Whatever you call yours, post it.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 12-24-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: list addittions

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    P.u.s.s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-jpimg_0682_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice, definitely Pink and Ugly. Your bike doesn't suck. Nice looking cranks, what are those and what do you think of those frog pedals vs the Shimano clipless?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Nice, definitely Pink and Ugly. Your bike doesn't suck. Nice looking cranks, what are those and what do you think of those frog pedals vs the Shimano clipless?
    Ha ha!

Cranks: White Industries ENO 180mm. If I didn't already have those cranks, I would have rather had some 960/970 XTR.

I like my Ti Frog Pedals. I started with XTR in '92 and after a number of years with knee problems made the switch and have pretty much been pain free. The Frogs have a lot of float.

I've been riding this bike exclusively for 3 years now which is a record time for me on the same bike. This bike doesn't suck at all....

mtbr member
    You can squeeze in 29er/700s too with up to 29x2.0's
    Producer, Actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

MattSavage
    My pretty pink PUSS...

"I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is my DISS.......well trying to post an image, but instead of sending me to my computer>my pictures to attach image, Im getting sent to google, anyone else having this problem? it starting doing this a couple days ago, how to fix?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Here is my DISS.......well trying to post an image, but instead of sending me to my computer>my pictures to attach image, Im getting sent to google, anyone else having this problem? it starting doing this a couple days ago, how to fix?
    Are you posting a quick reply? If I try to post an image using the quick reply option I get a window that asks me to type a url. The full reply has an attach file option below the message dialog box in the additional options section where you can upload an image and search your comp for the corresponding photo/file folder. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Finally, got my pic's of my 650b'd DISS up. The first 3 pics is the bike converted, the last is in its current state as a 26er. I will have it permanently converted, once I get time in the shop and make some drop crowns for the Lefty fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-pa170881%5B1%5D.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-pa170882%5B1%5D.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-pa170883%5B1%5D.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-bianchi-1.jpg  

Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 12-25-2012 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I have done both quick reply and post reply in the past, I've posted tons of pics, always went to to add image from wherever I needed, usually in "my pictures". I have never had it go directly to google search and for some reason, cannot change it from google, I have no clue as to what happened, dont even use google as my home page.
    Sounds like you had a recent update to your browser. If you use Chrome that might make sense, especially if you have automatic updates, but you stated that you don't use Google. Perhaps go change all your defaults to the original configuration and see if that works. Maybe check your OS defaults too.

Let me be clearer. Check your preferences in your browser under your options menu, check your default opening programs on your computer for pics. Clearing your internet history may work, check your homepage, or a recent toolbar addition maybe?. Somehow, the default pathway was changed to some preference for Google instead of the My Pictures folder. Hope that makes some sense.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 12-24-2012 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, I'll try those suggestions. Since I've never seen or had that problem before, I thought that maybe it was a problem on this site. Although I work with them everyday,.computer troubleshooting is not my strong point.

mtbr member
    Matt Savage likes the pretty pink velvet. Hey are those forks nice? The price seems nice compared to those Fox forks.

Btw, I read somewhere that blue is relatively new for a boy's color, maybe turn of the century, and that in fact pink was a boy's color previously. Supposedly, pink was the result of blood on a battle worn tunic washed into the shirt after battle. True.... idk, seems reasonble. I guess my grass and mud stains are signs of battle.

MattSavage
    Matt Savage likes the pretty pink velvet. Hey are those forks nice? The price seems nice compared to those Fox forks.

Btw, I read somewhere that blue is relatively new for a boy's color, maybe turn of the century, and that in fact pink was a boy's color previously. Supposedly, pink was the result of blood on a battle worn tunic washed into the shirt after battle. True.... idk, seems reasonble. I guess my grass and mud stains are signs of battle.
    Yeah, the X-Fusion Velvet is a great fork. I'll take it over Fox anyday. But, these will be replaced soon by a Manitou as soon as they're out and if they come with a 1.125" steerer.

mtbr member
    Nice DISS Hurricane Jeff, glad to see you solved the pic problem. I like your lil lady riding on the back, especially because she must not mind gettin' dirty!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a few more of those "little ladies". We sold them as cable hangers for canti brakes back in the day, probably have about 20 or so of those laying around, if your interested, $12 shipped, we also made Defeet "Thelma" socks, in which we are soon going to re-introduce.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Love the bianchis!!!

mtbr member
    For those who've tried, what is the biggest tire you've been able to fit in the rear? Right now I have the quasi motos, and am wondering if I could fit the Neo. Hurricane Jeff, what Kenda tire is that? thanks
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had Kenda Nevegals in the 2.1 size, running 2.25 Racing Ralph's with no clearance issues, also the RR's are a way better tire than the Nevegals.

mtbr member

More better pics

Was out riding some of the horse trails, hope these pics inspire some of the my other _._.S.S. brethren still waiting in the shadows to post their steeds. I know you're out there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-img_4278.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-img_4282.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-img_4287.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey guys, these are awesome!! i have a bianchi cuss that i did a simple quick build with for a couple cx races this past winter. I want to build it up as a more rugged xc SS racer with a suspension fork and i just stumbled upon this thread and im drooling. For the guys with suspension, are you using 26" suspension forks? if so, how much travel? i was panning on building it up with 26" wheels, but if can go bigger than AWESOME!

This is the bike btw: Bianchi C.U.S.S. Singlespeed - Pedal Room

mtbr member
    I used to have a Marzocchi MX Pro fork on mine, 90mm travel. I would stick to 80-100mm travel, 80 would be racier. I like that CUSS color, classic Bianchi celeste green. If you are thinking about B-ing that ride up I'd switch over to disc seeing that you have the caliper mount on the frame. Enjoy your hand-me-down.

MattSavage
    Yeah, disc brakes would make for an easier conversion. Most older 26" Fox Floats work fine for 650b, as do the Xfusion Velvets and Enix. 32mm (2006>) Manitou Minutes work as well. Keep the travel at 100mm or less so you don't jack up the geometry too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys! something to dream about. Was targeting to build it for a 24hr race in october, i will post pictures if the job gets done before that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    if i were to get a 650b specific fork, with 100mm of travel, would that throw of the geometry significantly? because its a longer fork? i may be able to get a deal on a 650 fork

*sorry for my ignorance when it comes to suspension forks, im a roadie

MattSavage
    Nah, not significantly. I run a 100mm Velvet, it'a s little taller than a Fox Float 100mm 26" fork. I just flip the stem and run flat bars for a more aggressive xc position. Kinda like alot of 29'er riders do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Alright sounds good! thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Nah, not significantly. I run a 100mm Velvet, it's a little taller than a Fox Float 100mm 26" fork. I just flip the stem and run flat bars for a more aggressive xc position. Kinda like alot of 29'er riders do.
    To be fair, the velvet is kind of an in-betweener fork. I think it technically is a 26 fork that can be used with a 650b wheel with their 650b spacer kit. That said, I would like to get one and wish more manufacturers offered something similar. I would just pay attention to A-C length and the fork rake of the 650b sus fork in question compared to the original fork specs. I don't believe it would change the geo too much so that it's a negative. There's always a little wiggle room for these conversions.

mtbr member
    Hi all
    I am collecting part now to convert my w.u.s.s to 27.5. It will be on stans ztr flow ex with hope pro 2 evo hubs with racing ralphs on a white brothers rock solid rigid fork. I will get pics up when I get a new phone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Here's my recently completed S.A.S.S. 650b conversion. Feels perfect with the Fox F80 up front.
    Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1379803276.032869.jpg
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    That's a nice lookin ride, I'll try not to stare directly for fear of being blinded by its S.hininess. Is that a Mary bar?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's a nice lookin ride, I'll try not to stare directly for fear of being blinded by its S.hininess. Is that a Mary bar?
    Thanks, I thought it deserved some sun-shine. Sure is a Mary bar. Just feels "right".
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member

This is my 2006 WUSS 17.5 running 27.5 stans flow ex and Racing Ralph's so far I love it.

mtbr member
    White. Ultimate. SS and a White Bros. fork.... I'm seeing a pattern here.

Nice ride, cruise on!

mtbr member
    yea I did the fork to fit the 27.5" I might pick up a fox fork some time but first I am going to do a different crankset and BB

mtbr member
    I've been debating switching out the stock Tru Firex crankset for a very low mileage RF Deus set collecting dust in my parts box. Just haven't found the impetus yet. I'm still sticking to the rigid cro-moto fork. I love the simplicity of the ride as it is so I don't think I would sus fork it, but never say never. I used to have a Marzocchi MX Pro on it, but it didn't last long. Out of curiosity, what crankset are you thinking? Going carbon like the fork?

mtbr member
    My BB is going bad so and I don't like the silver crank so this sounds like a good reason to try and upgrade the crankset. I am thinking carbon or Rotor 3d or XTR not sure. If I change it out I want to save some weight. If not I need a new BB anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hello all,

hopefully i can get some replies on here. I have an 2002 D.I.S.S that i bought off CL about 4 years ago. I rode it for about 2 seasons and now it has sat for the last two years.

It was in pretty rough shape when I bought it. the wheels are dented up on the sidewall and would slowly leak air (tubeless). Also, a mechanic at my LBS told me that the crank didnt have much life in it AND he pointed out a dink the rear dropouts that was causing the frame to spread a little (only noticeable when the rear tire is removed)

I am looking to get back into riding this spring and am in the market for a new bike. I can't really afford a bike a want (or worth buying) and was wondering if it would be worth it to put some money into the D.I.S.S. I was thinking I could convert it to 650b with a quality wheelset which I could then swap out with my next bike purchase down the road.

I really loved riding this bike and it has a real nice fork, handlebars, seat etc... Could I still find these frames around in case I did the work and then the frame broke.... I could always build it with the new frame?

Also, the fork is a Rock Shox (dont know exactly which model, it is storage currently) but what is the criteria for 650b conversion on this frame?

Sorry for the long email and hope to hear back!

mtbr member
    My only concern would be that it's an older (02?) beat up, by your admission, aluminum frame (Easton tubing?). How bad is the dink in the rear triangle? If it is only spread out a little it may not be a real issue. Wheels and components are reasonable replacements/upgrades as long as the frame is straight, it should be ok. There's no way to know without telling us the model of the Rock Shox, even then it's possible no one yet has mounted a 27.5/650b in there. Perhaps check out the conversion thread at the top of the 27.5/650b forum. Hopefully HurricaneJeff will chime in on these queries.
    I most recently saw a MUSS on ebay for 500 for a slightly used floor model. Before that I saw a BOSS a couple months ago. I think there are still a few around, but you need to be diligent to find one.
    If you enjoyed the ride and the frame is still in decent shape, then give a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Pm sent, funkymonk
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    This pic's for Sparkie. May it enlighten, inspire, and brighten your day.
    Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-img_20140609_200554.jpg

That guy
    Sold my 29" Monocog to guy who needed a bike, so now it's time to build another SS! I just picked out tires today and am waiting to order all my wheel parts. Going Hope trials, 35mm Blunts, and WTB tires.

Here's the S.A.S.S. shined up and waiting:

Here's what I'm thinking for tires: I checked my rigid On-One fork and my 29x2.4 Chunky Monkey fits, so I think a 27.5x2.8 WTB Trailblazer will fit

Here's one on a 35mm Blunt (middle wheel):

Keeping with the big tire love I decided on a 27.5x2.5 WTB Breakout for the rear. I read that it measures about 2.45", does anyone know if that's too big?

XXIX"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Sold my 29" Monocog to guy who needed a bike, so now it's time to build another SS! I just picked out tires today and am waiting to order all my wheel parts. Going Hope trials, 35mm Blunts, and WTB tires.

Here's the S.A.S.S. shined up and waiting:

Here's what I'm thinking for tires: I checked my rigid On-One fork and my 29x2.4 Chunky Monkey fits, so I think a 27.5x2.8 WTB Trailblazer will fit

Here's one on a 35mm Blunt (middle wheel):

Keeping with the big tire love I decided on a 27.5x2.5 WTB Breakout for the rear. I read that it measures about 2.45", does anyone know if that's too big?

I know the Bianchis are 650 friendly especially with their horz sliding d/o's but I think the chain and seat stay boss's might put a damper on your idea for those tires in the rr. I'm pretty sure Mr. 650b Hurricane Jeff has one converted and may be able to give you an idea of what clearances are left with the 27.5 tires he's running. You could check into the 650bpalace site someone on there may have already tried the + sizes.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I know the Bianchis are 650 friendly especially with their horz sliding d/o's but I think the chain and seat stay boss's might put a damper on your idea for those tires in the rr. I'm pretty sure Mr. 650b Hurricane Jeff has one converted and may be able to give you an idea of what clearances are left with the 27.5 tires he's running. You could check into the 650bpalace site someone on there may have already tried the + sizes.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the 2.5" might be too big, especially on a Blunt. I'll check out 650bpalace, thanks for letting me know about that blog!

I'm pretty sure the Trailblazer will fit my fork, tho, but it might put the BB up too high. I might order the Breakout anyway, it might end up on the front if the Trailblazer is too big. I've got a Yelli Screamy that I want to try the B+ thing out on for sure.
    XXIX"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking the 2.5" might be too big, especially on a Blunt. I'll check out 650bpalace, thanks for letting me know about that blog!

I'm pretty sure the Trailblazer will fit my fork, tho, but it might put the BB up too high. I might order the Breakout anyway, it might end up on the front if the Trailblazer is too big. I've got a Yelli Screamy that I want to try the B+ thing out on for sure.
    Yeah search thru pix on this thread and you can see what the clearances are with the regular tyres.

mtbr member
    Cornfield, I don't think the 650B+ would fit, but I'd love to see if it does! That looks like it's gonna be a real nice shiny SS. Are you stickin' with the chrome for the hubs too? I think that would look really awesome to have black blunt rims that disappear into the tire and with silver spokes and hubs. Post some pics when you feel up to it.

That guy
    Cornfield, I don't think the 650B+ would fit, but I'd love to see if it does! That looks like it's gonna be a real nice shiny SS. Are you stickin' with the chrome for the hubs too? I think that would look really awesome to have black blunt rims that disappear into the tire and with silver spokes and hubs. Post some pics when you feel up to it.
    The B+ tire is only for the front. I have this fork: https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/FOO...-v-brake--disc, a 29" rim with a 2.4 Chunky Monkey fits, so I'm pretty sure a Trailblazer will fit, there's almost 3.5" between the fork legs.

I want the biggest tire that'll fit in the back, not sure how big I can go just yet. The Breakout is 2.5", so not really a B+, but still may be too big.

The Hope hubs will be silver w/silver spokes & nipples.
    XXIX"

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey
    New to the thread. I have a C.U.S.S and want to upgrade to 650B and Disks. My question is. How do I get 650B wheel on the back with a quick release. I se a few pic that look like they have QR on them. Tried with my 26 wheel but could not get it to work. Any help or steps would be great. I also Have a RS Tora. Think it will fit the 650 but confirmation would be great. I can figure that out but the QR is the problem

Thank You in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey
    New to the thread. I have a C.U.S.S and want to upgrade to 650B and Disks. My question is. How do I get 650B wheel on the back with a quick release. I se a few pic that look like they have QR on them. Tried with my 26 wheel but could not get it to work. Any help or steps would be great. I also Have a RS Tora. Think it will fit the 650 but confirmation would be great. I can figure that out but the QR is the problem

Thank You in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey

Thank You in advance

mtbr member
    Surly has a QR adapter for their tuggnut chain tensioner, that's what I would do. Also, you may want to get an XT skewer, they seem to hold well.

Drivetrain | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by C.U.S.S1 View Post
    Hey

Thank You in advance
    Not sure what issue the qr is causing?

mtbr member
    Ok Cornfield, you mentioned the waxed SASS in another thread and I'd like a pic... please.

That guy
    Ok Cornfield, you mentioned the waxed SASS in another thread and I'd like a pic... please.
    ^^ I guess I missed that, came here to post my 650b conversion.

OK, it's not quite 27.5", but it's close at 27.25" with the 26+ VTF. I've only got one right now, so I took a pic of the wheel in front, and another of the wheel in back, then photoshoped them together.

I'm going to order a 26" Blunt and Dually to see where they will fit. Might use the Dually in front and Blunt in back. Also waiting for the WTB Ranger 3.0" tires to come out, think I might have room in the fork.

mtbr member

Good job!

Nice looking project so far Corn, I'm anxious to see the finished ride.

You may be jealous, I just installed an older x-type Deus polished crankset that's been in the parts bin for years on my MUSS. No idea why it took me sooo long. I'm glad I was in the garage otherwise it's blinding. I imagine on sunny days it may be hard to look down at your top tube.

That guy
    Thanks db! Not jealous, happy for you, I think I've got enough shiny. I was thinking of adding more with some polished Oozy 295s, or the polished Velocitys, but I think it might be too much, prolly go with boring ol' black. I do think I want silver spokes, and Hopes if I can swing it.

I roll with Thermonuclear Protection®, so I'm good with the bling.

mtbr member
    Finally got the SS put back together after a thoroughly cleaning and lube job with the Christmas drive train goodies last weekend. Practically NOS RF Deus XC crank, Black Oval chainring 34T by AB, WI freewheel 18T, KMC 8spd chain, and swapped over stem and bar from the RMB Blizz. Took it out this weekend again, twice today since I'm grumpy. I would post a pic but that darn thing just doesn't want to load...

So, I'll end by saying Happy 4th everybody! May it be filled with fireworks... in bed!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

geared PUSS

My wife's geared PUSS.
    Converted using the Santa Cruz Chameleon dropout adapters.
    Carver carbon fork with custom graphics, SiSl2 crankset, SLX.
    She runs 27.5ers for gravel and pavement, but 26ers for trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-puss.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-puss1.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-puss2.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-puss4.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-puss5.jpg  

Post your Bianchi SS 650b conversion.-puss6.jpg  

Last edited by mrpink; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice ride for Mrs. Pink! That's one advantage point for the Alu Bianchi _._.S.S.'s out there.

Members who have read this thread: 27