Quote Originally Posted by sni256andr View Post
    DirtySixer Bikes, California
    Big 32er & 36er bikes for tall riders
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

WIGGLER
    Ok, I understand. It turned out that my titanium frameset is very custom and I am looking for (virtually) any big tire.
    In short time I'll try post description of my bike. Now here is the photo which shows the idea:
    could post a pic of your bike built up or is this as far as you've gotten.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Why so much clearance?

If the answer is "why not?" then a to you.

Fat and tall would be sweet. I am fattening a rim soon to use on my 36" unicycle for remainder of winter.

I am going to need a bigger frame if I make a matching fat tire instead of using one of my current ones. (current frame only has 82mm clearance)

Matt: prototype in two months! Things are moving quick! If you need a unicycle tester let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Apologies for Mods. I'll post pics here for a while.
    Clearance not only for snow and mud. Initially it was designed for Fat-wheels too. I'd appreciate if someone points on tires like 29"x4.5" (or 622mm x 100mm).

WIGGLER
    Nice looks kind of cold there but nice bike!!

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    clipless pedals + snow = congrats !
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    The tread and weight will both be much improved.

Size will be 2.25" as these tires on the current rim will still come to ~2.5". Most current frames are not equipped to take a 2.5"-3.0" tire on a 42mm rim. A tire that wide would also be quite a bit heavier.

Tread resembles something between a Racing Ralph and a Nevegal in terms of both tread and knob height. Personally, I am very excited about it after a slew of crashes this winter due to front tire wash outs. We should see the first prototype tire in ~2 months at which point we will have more details on weight and performance. As Walt mentioned above, this is a slow process but it is also important to get it right instead of rushing something inferior to market.

Hey Mat any new news?

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member

New News

Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    Hey Mat any new news?
    Mould has been scheduled for completion, afterwards we will have our first prototype tires for testing! No clue after that as it could take many prototypes or just the one. We'll post some pics of the first prototype when we get our hands on it and do some test riding to hear what the group thinks about the tread and weight.

I'm staying away from giving any more dates as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up unecessarily. All I can say is that we are pushing for this to get done as quick as possible while making sure we get the best possible product made. No sense in rushing it to feel like we could have done better.

Matt

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    gigity gigity

mtbr member
    a quick write up from NAHBS where the Black Sheep Todd won the best Experimental Bike:
    2012 NAHBS | North American Handmade Bicycle Show | Black Sheep Fabrication | #NAHBS
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    a quick write up from NAHBS where the Black Sheep Todd won the best Experimental Bike:
    2012 NAHBS | North American Handmade Bicycle Show | Black Sheep Fabrication | #NAHBS
    Nice bike the Pauls rear hub uses the I9 driver which I like a lot.

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Nice bike the Pauls rear hub uses the I9 driver which I like a lot.
    Whats the point of wider hubs in this application? Seems like unneeded weight to me. After 800+ hard miles on my wheels they are true and round as day one, even depsite my many crashes and 230+ lbs.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this. We're "aficianados" then

While I clearly like my Sheep, this one doesn't do much for me - specifically the seat/seatpost positioning, jumbled tubing where seatstays meet TT, and ugly cog (spend a couple bucks and get something NICE for NAHBS right?).

WIGGLER
    Whats the point of wider hubs in this application? Seems like unneeded weight to me. After 800+ hard miles on my wheels they are true and round as day one, even depsite my many crashes and 230+ lbs.
    Mine work well also I think The reasoning for wider hubs is more triangulation the front looks like it has lots more on the back it has a little bit more and centered. And with the I9 driver ZZZZZZZZZZ 72
    Engagements

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this. We're "aficianados" then

While I clearly like my Sheep, this one doesn't do much for me - specifically the seat/seatpost positioning, jumbled tubing where seatstays meet TT, and ugly cog (spend a couple bucks and get something NICE for NAHBS right?).
    Yes, aficionados, in a passionate and respectful way.
    I didn't know if I was able to link directly to the poll here, but from hearing people around me talking about that bike, it sure make some impression!
    I showed yesterday the pic to a tall buddy (back in SF) and he -I quote- "almost had an hard-on"

PS: Todd said the different curving of the seat stays give a bit of plush in the rear. The truss fork is really comfortable.
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mould has been scheduled for completion, afterwards we will have our first prototype tires for testing! No clue after that as it could take many prototypes or just the one. We'll post some pics of the first prototype when we get our hands on it and do some test riding to hear what the group thinks about the tread and weight.

I'm staying away from giving any more dates as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up unecessarily. All I can say is that we are pushing for this to get done as quick as possible while making sure we get the best possible product made. No sense in rushing it to feel like we could have done better.

Matt
    Put me down in the prototype list. I ride mine at least once a week in a rocky/sandy/hard packed terrain. More often if I had a purpose.

mtbr member
    Nice reading in DirtRag about Walt!
    Congrats!
    It gives more impact to the 36er crowd!

PS: I liked the "aficionado" term they used again to call us!
    :P
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I'm not going to bother reading all the replies to this thread but I do have to ask, is the 36er a concent or does it already exist? If there are any pics, please post....

My questions to this idea are:

How can you position/mount these wheels to a frame w/o the wheelbase being too far apart and the rider too deep inside or too high up on the bike?

I assume we are talking about a completely different frame (unlike anything we already know) with different geos to make this even workable?

Curious....

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I'm not going to bother readig all the replies to this thread but...
    It's only five pages long.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    I'm not going to bother reading all the replies to this thread but I do have to ask, is the 36er a concent or does it already exist? If there are any pics, please post....
    you should bother to read, 'cause you'd have find this:
    36ers

My questions to this idea are:
    How can you position/mount these wheels to a frame w/o the wheelbase being too far apart and the rider too deep inside or too high up on the bike?

I assume we are talking about a completely different frame (unlike anything we already know) with different geos to make this even workable?

Curious....
    you need to be taller than 6f4, then you'll see that it makes sense.
    In one word: proportions.
    Shorter people can enjoy 36ers too, but it looks odd.
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Is it coincidence that those are called "Bologna Bikes?"
    I have not very much info on this builder (he's out of business now), but it was the name of the company. Not the spaggheti shaped 36ers...
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

b a n n e d
    you should bother to read, 'cause you'd have find this:
    36ers
    Is it coincidence that those are called "Bologna Bikes?"
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member

Tire Update

We are testing prototypes now - 3 sets by 3 people to get a good cross reference of terrain/riding skill/etc. The pics below aren't the best (downpour all day, my poor camera skills, etc) so maybe Brad will post some better ones. You can get a good idea of the tread pattern and depth I hope.

Newest news:

- Testers would take them as-is but I think we can still make some significant improvements.
    - See pics for tread. This is set, will not change as it has proven to be quite good and will best meet the needs of the most riders.
    - Mounted to the Nimbus rim they measure 2.25" wide as labeled. They set up tubed and tubeless fine.
    - They are lighter by roughly .75-1lb, but we want to lose another 1+lb. Looking at different bands, beads, compounds, and thinner sidewalls for weight reduction.
    - Tire weight does not scale up in proportion to circumference so our original goal of 1000g may not be met but we'll get as close as possible.
    - Kevlar beads are very difficult to make at this size but we're still working on it for weight (minimal), ability to fold, and reduced shipping costs. Wire bead prototypes can be "coiled" to fit in a much smaller box but still large, and hence expensive to ship (~$25 cross country).

Performance impressions:

- Weight loss is apparent while riding. They spin up faster and are easier to climb with. I did 5k of climbing today over 75 miles which was much eaiser on my terrain than the old tires. I mainly rode crushed bridal trails, gravel fireroads, and some short singeltrack (downpour all day unfortunately) plus tons of greenway and pavement.
    - Tread is good, nice ramped center line for decent rolling resistance and with good side knobs for cornering grip. All testers have had instances where they would have fallen with the old tires but were saved by the new tire finding purchase. I was pushing them pretty hard in pine straw covered trails and had no problems with grip. The Nimbus may roll better at higher presssure but I haven't had a chance to do back-to-back comparisons yet. I think the weight tradeoff negates any benefit here but we will try to test more on the next prototype.
    - I noticed today that I had better grip on wet wooden boardwalks than my companions who were fishtailing (all better riders than me so no skill advantage here), no problems laying the bike down on damp pavement, and they even did well in ~6" sand from one of the testers.
    - Sidewalls were stiff at first but are getting more supple with use. They are still stiffer than my Racing Ralphs on my 29er (roughly same mileage) which felt weird switching back today at mile 75. I found myself taking corners slower and climbing felt a bit "squishy" although tubed vs tubeless and differences in pressure may have contributed. We will try to reduce the rubber in the sidewalls and see how that feels for us and the unicycle crowd who need more sidewall strength to deal with road camber and twice the weight on one tire.
    - Worked well on pavement and didn't feel much more rolling resistance. My RR's hum/vibrate like crazy which I find annoying after a few miles whereas these were nice and quiet.

Given all of the above, we don't know final production dates, pricing, etc. Remain patient and we'll get that info out as soon as we know it. Please post questions here and I will answer them in batches as best I can. Walt has a VERY time consuming new project and therefore needs a bit of a break from this right now.

Thanks all - Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poll: 36er tires-new-tire-01.jpg  

Poll: 36er tires-new-tire-02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "hard" Cornering seemed to have less gyroscopic resistance than the other tires also.

Other than that, I can't add anything.

mtbr member
    Looks good. Has someone already addressed light strong rims?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Strong already exists: Nimbus 36" Stealth2 Rim with Braking Surface

Light? I have tacoed one of these rims, they are not that strong, go much lighter and they'll fold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ben: depends on the metal they are made out of. As you are aware, there are plenty of 'light weight' rims available that are considerably lighter than their cheap counterpart. Think something like a Wally World 29er rim vs a Stans Flow. I've bent and repaired the Nimbus stealth rims, they are a pretty soft alloy.

I need to try the Stealth 2. It does look to be a stronger shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I need to try the Stealth 2. It does look to be a stronger shape.
    I'm ordering one right now, I'll post a review

It's so easy to spend money, anyoen else notice that

WIGGLER

... and if we just ...

Been riding the "protos" a couple weeks now first thing you'll notice is that they a true
    mountain bike tread the side knobs are widely spaced and hook up well and the center
    knobs are ramped to help with rolling resistence they are lighter than both the Nimbus
    Cokers. I'm excited and cant wait for the production ones I may end up with a stable
    full of 36er bikes I might even try and make a full suspension.

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I'm ordering one right now, I'll post a review

It's so easy to spend money, anyone else notice that
    Easy come easy go...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    We have been searching without much luck, but have a couple new leads. Ideally we'd find a company that would make AND sell them so we don't have to take on another project like this and the monetary risks involved.

Any ideas on who to try? All of the big guys have said no.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    ...they even did well in ~6" sand from one of the testers.
    Interesting. My back yard trail has sandy spots, and I have preferred riding my fat bike ever since I got in a fairly bad accident involving sand, a creek bridge, and moving kinda fast. But sometimes the bike is overkill. I'd like to have a fast bike that I can plow into a section of sand at speed and not feel anxious.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sand is tricky. In a lot of ways, it's like driving on ice. It's about keeping your cadence up and not fighting the bike or changing things too much. If you fight it, slow quickly, speed up quickly or try to change direction quickly, you will lose. You just gotta let the bike go in the general direction it wants once you're in the sand.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bedell View Post
    Sand is tricky. In a lot of ways, it's like driving on ice. It's about keeping your cadence up and not fighting the bike or changing things too much. If you fight it, slow quickly, speed up quickly or try to change direction quickly, you will lose. You just gotta let the bike go in the general direction it wants once you're in the sand.
    True.

Imagine I am saying the following in a polite tone, which I am sincere about: I don't care, and don't want to deal with any of that. The more I can mitigate it, the better. And I've done that... at the cost of rolling efficiency. If I can get the best of both worlds, great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    True.

Imagine I am saying the following in a polite tone, which I am sincere about: I don't care, and don't want to deal with any of that. The more I can mitigate it, the better. And I've done that... at the cost of rolling efficiency. If I can get the best of both worlds, great!
    Oh, I agree! I've often transversed over dead trees than run through 100' of a sand pit. Fat tires would almost make sand fun. The 36er does better than my 29er or even a 26" bike with around a 2.25" width. I'm guessing the leverage of the tire, but then again it could be all mental or a product of the slower responding bike that forgives my input.

mtbr member
    We have been searching without much luck, but have a couple new leads. Ideally we'd find a company that would make AND sell them so we don't have to take on another project like this and the monetary risks involved.

No I wish I did because I may need to have some made too. Completely different project.

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Looking at floatation from a volume perspective (which in my experience is pretty analogous) a 36x2.25 tire will be approximately equal in total volume to a 26x2.7.

Not fatbike floatation but with a better angle of attack.

WIGGLER
    Rode the "Protos" in Prescott this weekend at the Granite Basin trail system they
    worked extremely well the out of saddle traction is excellent. Very good tread pattern
    groomed trails.

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Light? I have tacoed one of these rims, they are not that strong, go much lighter and they'll fold.
    ...Maybe you are on a unicycle?

DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Someone involved with the 36er tire development shoudl call Josh at Unicycle.Com

I spoke to Josh last week and he told me that he has not received any calls concerning this tire.

In terms of understanding user value in the development of this tire, the 36" wheel means much more to unicyclists than bicyclists because we really don't have gears, therefore if we want to go fast we have to ride a bigger wheel. As many of you know, the current tires choices are poor, both in weight and usability for off road riding.

Call Josh at UDC, tell him what you are doing, ask him about developing a lighter rim.

mtbr member
    Someone involved with the 36er tire development shoudl call Josh at Unicycle.Com

I spoke to Josh last week and he told me that he has not received any calls concerning this tire.

In terms of understanding user value in the development of this tire, the 36" wheel means much more to unicyclists than bicyclists because we really don't have gears, therefore if we want to go fast we have to ride a bigger wheel. As many of you know, the current tires choices are poor, both in weight and usability for off road riding.

Call Josh at UDC, tell him what you are doing, ask him about developing a lighter rim.
    I've spoken with Roger in the UK numerous times and we have posted back and forth onthe unicyclist forums. I thought the UK office was HQ. Is that not correct?

From what I gathered, they weren't exactly thrilled (from the business side) with the new tire being developed as Nimbus is their house brand and hence they have significant resources sunk into that tire, and likely a pretty decent inventory. I don't blame them at all, but perhaps I got it wrong. I'd have rather they developed the new tire from the start but that discussion didn't go anywhere.

Regardless, I'm confused on why it would take someone to develop a new tire for them to want a better rim? A lighter rim can't handle a 4lb tire? Just because? What am I missing here?

Willing to take the discussion off-line also if there's info that shouldn't be posted publicly. I can't recall if I have your emial, so shoot me a PM if you want.

While we're on it, Velocity got back to me with a "might be able to produce a few" with no firm timeline so still working through that with them and what a few really means. Again, I'd rather have them be the retailer and just be able to buy something better than the current. I think their P35 would be a good one to "size up".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've spoken with Roger in the UK numerous times and we have posted back and forth onthe unicyclist forums. I thought the UK office was HQ. Is that not correct?
    I'll send you a pm.

Recovering couch patato
    All I can say on this tire so far : Hubba!

On rims, if not well researched and massaged yet, contact Salsa and Velocity. Both have non-heavy 35mm rims that seem to have more than decent reputations.
    Wheel builder: would more spokes (than the typical 36) help in strength on top of stiffness for 36"? For a hub maker, it's only about willingness to drill the flanges for 40-48 spokes. Flanges ought to hold up, many low spoke count narrow flange spacing hubs out there.
    Have spokes been addressed by someone, to make 40-48 spokes viable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    All I can say on this tire so far : Hubba!

On rims, if not well researched and massaged yet, contact Salsa and Velocity. Both have non-heavy 35mm rims that seem to have more than decent reputations.
    Wheel builder: would more spokes (than the typical 36) help in strength on top of stiffness for 36"? For a hub maker, it's only about willingness to drill the flanges for 40-48 spokes. Flanges ought to hold up, many low spoke count narrow flange spacing hubs out there.
    Have spokes been addressed by someone, to make 40-48 spokes viable?
    You can get a Nimbus in 48 spoke count from UDC, but may have to get it from an overseas section of their site (or ask the USA office nicely). Mate it to a 48h hub and your good to go.

I believe David was planning to do this on his custom build?

mtbr member
    Very few 48 holes hubs available.
    My builder did a 185mm DO to DO for the front
    He's now on the rear one, 170mm dishless to stick to the new "fatbike" standard.
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Forty eight spokes in a 36er length is gonna make for a heavy wheel. I have not had any issues that I can say were caused by insufficient spoke count or lack of spoke strength. It's a big wheel, I think they stand up fine as long as you treat it for what it is, but you start getting big air and land sideways, it'll be a long walk home...

As to wider hubs, that is an idea that has merit, which is why my new 36er build is using a 125 mm hub with 100 spacing between the flanges; it's only 80mm on a standard 100mm hub. I could get even more flange spacing, but it's a disc hub, so I'm paying a little penalty.

I love tires, just got a new one tonight for my 29er, $81 delivered for a Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar, it replaces a tried and trusted Ardent 2.4, looking for more sidewall strength a bit more stick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Forty eight spokes in a 36er length is gonna make for a heavy wheel. I have not had any issues that I can say were caused by insufficient spoke count or lack of spoke strength. It's a big wheel, I think they stand up fine as long as you treat it for what it is, but you start getting big air and land sideways, it'll be a long walk home...

As to wider hubs, that is an idea that has merit, which is why my new 36er build is using a 125 mm hub with 100 spacing between the flanges; it's only 80mm on a standard 100mm hub. I could get even more flange spacing, but it's a disc hub, so I'm paying a little penalty.

I love tires, just got a new one tonight for my 29er, $81 delivered for a Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar, it replaces a tried and trusted Ardent 2.4, looking for more sidewall strength a bit more stick.
    Ben:
    Which hub? I'm running the Paul whub disk. 135mm spacing, not sure what the flange is. I center drilled the end caps for a 10x135 mm dt swiss axle. that REALLY stiffened the front end up. I'd love a 15mm or a 20mm axle, but felt the wider hub was more beneficial than the larger axle. (I'd love to hear other opinions)

What did you find for the rear? I have a DTswiss 440 with 150mmx12, but will likely go to a 142mm next time to reduce the need for the 83mm BB.

I'm with you. With current spokes, a 48 spoke wheel would be at least 1/2lb heavier for the pair; if not a full lb. It's already a pig without the extra weight penalty. Probably even more weight.

I don't see a need for anything other than a stiffer rim. If someone wants big air, they should be on a different bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry, it's a unicycle hub

As to hub widths, a wider hub does make the wheel stronger and it's not like a wider hub will reduce clearance or cause "boot out" as occurs in skiing/boarding.

Narrow hubs are vestiges of road biking, so it might be time for a change for MTB's considering the recent evolution of fat tired bikes and bigger wheels like the 36er...

Recovering couch patato
    The weight penalty for 48h would only be there when sticking to 14G spokes. I was wondering whether butted spokes have been pursued.
    The trick would be to get an undrilled hub shell. Drilling spoke holes is a precise job (get distances and radii right), but not exactly rocket science. Really, a hub maker could easily (if willing) change their CNC program. But yeah, finding someone in bikes to do the right thing is about the hardest thing on earth.
    I once had a crazy light 36h 26" wheel. 24 right, 12 left. Spokes on the left were really light, the right were lighter than I was previously aware existed. Worked like a charm, better than all 32h weightweenie wheels I've had before and after. Just to say there's more options then what's been done until now.
    I'd only want 48h with wide hubs and light spokes, alse it makes little sense.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sorry, it's a unicycle hub

As to hub widths, a wider hub does make the wheel stronger and it's not like a wider hub will reduce clearance or cause "boot out" as occurs in skiing/boarding.

Narrow hubs are vestiges of road biking, so it might be time for a change for MTB's considering the recent evolution of fat tired bikes and bigger wheels like the 36er...
    Oh.. I'm also in the market for a freehub with a direct drive. (not for a unicycle)

I'd love to have a wider hub, it will make the triangle formed between the rim/hub stronger.

I suppose it wouldn't be 'too' hard to have them made. If I used something like DTSwiss internals, I'd be able to avoid all the small parts that would rack up the costs. I could use something like a 12x135 axle. I'll have to explore this...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New 36er arrives today, now I need a tire...

My Nimbus Impulse 36er arrives today, but all I got is a stinkin' Coker pattern tire

Any news on when the new tire will make it's debut?

Also, shouldn't there be a 36er forum? Who would make the decision to add one??

mtbr member
    My Nimbus Impulse 36er arrives today, but all I got is a stinkin' Coker pattern tire

Any news on when the new tire will make it's debut?

Also, shouldn't there be a 36er forum? Who would make the decision to add one??
    Not yet, I hope to know when the next proto will be in my hands by the end of the week.

Not sure about a forum for the 10 of us but I believe (http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=78849) is the guy to ask.

Recovering couch patato
    I am sure the 650B crowd would be happy to lose us. The 26" crowd was when it was 29", initially.

WIGGLER
    Maybe a sub-forum till we increase in numbers

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Related question:
    Are there any light and strong full-scale mudguards for 36ers on the market?

mtbr member
    Related question:
    Are there any light and strong full-scale mudguards for 36ers on the market?
    No, but you could make your own any number of ways (corrugated plastic and duct tape work well). Or have a welder do a nice set.

mtbr member
    I bought the Coker Cruiser fenders. They took forever to ship them (they first sent 2 fronts, then the rear arrived -two months after- bent, but free).
    But more, there's no hardware or "skewers" (dunno the word in english) to mount them.
    Not recommended.
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The tire is being tested, keep it in your sights!!

Life Is Short
    It's a fun size for a cruiser but thats it. I tried one at InterBike. To get the wheels rolling up any
    steep hill:

1) you gots to have momentum
    2) super long legs or a 7 foot tall basketball player
    3.) a motor
    4.) a mountain lion chasing you
    5.) somebody chasing you with a gun
    6.) bill collector
    7.) woman you had an affair with now knocked up
    8.) neighbor who wants to borrow your lawn mower again but returns it without gas
    9.) a drunken charlie sheen
    10.) Allstate Motor Club sales rep that just wants a minute of your time

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    It's a fun size for a cruiser but thats it. I tried one at InterBike. To get the wheels rolling up any
    steep hill:

2) super long legs or a 7 foot tall basketball player
    3.) a motor
    4.) a mountain lion chasing you
    5.) somebody chasing you with a gun
    6.) bill collector
    7.) woman you had an affair with now knocked up
    8.) neighbor who wants to borrow your lawn mower again but returns it without gas
    9.) a drunken charlie sheen
    10.) Allstate Motor Club sales rep that just wants a minute of your time

Really who's bike did you ride? Blacksheeps 36er was the only one there and they weren't letting folks ride it. They had it zip tide to there fence!!!

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    steep hill:

Really? So tell us then, why is a 26" wheel no less of a problem than a 20" wheel?

Maybe it was a 29er you tried and you didn't notice

I have been riding a 36" unicycle for a few years, well before mountain bikers considered it doable, and it is NOT about momentum and it is NOT about being powerful or having long leg legs.

Like any wheel size, a 36er has it's pros and cons, but with gears and proper frame geometry, it works just like any other wheel.

Consider how different a 29er rides in contrast to a 26er...which one bridges gaps better, which one tracks better, which one rides smoothest. There are good reasons why some folks have moved to bigger wheels (and fatter tires).

It is a boutique size for biking, more on par with the fat tire crowd, but consider the advantages: riding long distance though smooth single and double track, say in Utah or Colorado, a 36er would be much more comfortable than a 29er and oh so fast.

Not to mention the real reason to ride a different wheel size: It changes up the ride and creates a different feel, and that is why we ride, yes, for the feel

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I haven't ridden a 36er yet, hell with my 31" inseam the frame I'll eventually make in this category will likely be a 96er (29 rear, 36 front). But I have lots of miles riding fat bike tires during summer conditions.

In other words, I have experience with heavy wheel weight far away from the hubs. He's right. It doesn't accelerate as fast.

Now, one either hates this or doesn't mind it. I don't mind. I can ride somewhat fast but I do not race. So I'm not in a big hurry to wind up coming out of corners.

*shrug*

If he doesn't like the slow wind up, he doesn't like it. Personally I hate the skittery feeling of light weight rims and tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Drew, I also ride a fat tire, BFL, Larry, Devist8er and the 36er is nothing like that, in other words the slow handling you find when riding with fat tires is way slower and ponderous than you get when riding with a 36er.

I'd describe the difference like this: a 36 is to a 29er what a 29er is to a 26er, but doubled.

So think about how much slower a 29er is to come around in twisty terrain, it's noticeable, but certainly not a game killer. Then think about how the 29er gobbles up terrain and smoothes out irregularities. So the 36er is not fat bike, it's more like a 29er on steroids

Granted, a 36er is not for everyone, in fact as a biker I never even considered such a huge wheel as I was quite satisfied with a 29er SS. But in the unicycle world the 36er is king for going fast and going far. I have a range of unis 24, 26, 29, 36, all are used for trails and trials. No bikes, sold my last 29er in 2010, never looked back.

And with a 31" inseam you can easilly run a 36/36.

mtbr member

Granted, a 36er is not for everyone
    ditto... 6f4 is the minimum IMO... over 6f6 it makes sense and over 6f8 it should be mandatory!
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    I tend to disagree. I'm barely 6'2" (31-32" inseam) and fit fine. I've seen 5'4" women ride them and do "ok". I'm not saying it's ideal by any stretch, but certainly possible and if anywhere north of 5'10" I think totally doable. Toe overlap isn't a big deal, and handling is more dependent on design than wheel size.

And yes, it takes more effort to accelerate, but if you can quantify that effort you're as crazy as the folks that say it's why they don't ride 29ers. It's fun to ride, period. That's more than enough for me. If I want to go racer-fast, I get on my racer-fast bike. If just-fast is my goal, then the 36 works and gives me a bigger smile every time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tis true, 36ing makes ya smile

WIGGLER
    Here a pic of new mountain bike tire 36er style!!

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00439.jpg

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The new tire is awesome!!

Go big or go home

Clean:

Dirty:

Recovering couch patato
    With 29+ introduced by Surly, a 32" Walmart $199 beach cruiser spotted, and now this MTB babtism for 36"...really, can't we get a BIG wheeled forum going here?

Mods, Admins?

thanks!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    With 29+ introduced by Surly, a 32" Walmart $199 beach cruiser spotted, and now this MTB babtism for 36"...really, can't we get a BIG wheeled forum going here?

Mods, Admins?

thanks!
    +1

Call it the Freak Show subforum for all I care.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Here a pic of new mountain bike tire 36er style!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00439.JPG 
Views:	1044 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	711627
    Is that a modified AMP fork? If so, that's pretty rad... would love to see a better pic.

Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    Is that a modified AMP fork? If so, that's pretty rad... would love to see a better pic.

Cheers,
    KP

Thanx, Here ya go!!!

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00417.jpg

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00427.jpg

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00340.jpg

Mods, Admins?

thanks!

I agree!!!! and make Cloxxki the mod

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone in northern New Mexico or southern Colorado with a 36er ? I'm itching to try one out. I know they're fun but I'd love to demo one first before diving in on a new bike project.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Thanx, Here ya go!!!

Name:	DSC00417.JPG 
Views:	684 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	714498

Name:	DSC00427.JPG 
Views:	1537 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	714499

Name:	DSC00340.JPG 
Views:	680 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	714500
    That is sweet. I loved those forks back in the day!

Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    So how is it going with the tire? They aren't available yet are they?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Recovering couch patato
    I agree!!!! and make Cloxxki the mod
    Thanks but no thanks. But happy to contribute (pester) when I have time.
    Would sure tighten my surf circle for possible news I want to know.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato

Name:	DSC00417.JPG 
Views:	684 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	714498

Name:	DSC00427.JPG 
Views:	1537 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	714499

Name:	DSC00340.JPG 
Views:	680 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	714500
    I find it mildly disturbing that you appear to have a 36" hardtail, and see necessity for a rised bar. Some would use your handlebar as a basket mount...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    So how is it going with the tire? They aren't available yet are they?
    Matt will be along soon to give us an update!!

MR. 36er TROLL

WIGGLER
    I find it mildly disturbing that you appear to have a 36" hardtail, and see necessity for a rised bar. Some would use your handlebar as a basket mount...
    Your not going to tell DC are you I dont want any of his red chicklies.....I bought the grampa bars to try the sweep, the bars that are on it most are Niner carbon Kermit green.....SEE!

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00218.jpg

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member

"Soon" ;)

Matt will be along soon to give us an update!!
    Hope to have absolute details this week. I can say sometime near the end of Sept but clearly that's not very specific. Have not calculated the exact pricing and waiting on delivery date, but otherwise everything is set and ready to get these to everyone that wants them. They will be in limited supply so will probably go quickly.

mtbr member
    Matt how many tires were produced?
    you can MP for the answer.
    Cheers
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    350 tires are being shipped by sea as we speak.
    I have no idea how quickly they will go but I'd suggest not waiting too long once we're up and live as once they're gone, I'm not sure how likely a second run will be. These may become vintage quite quickly

mtbr member
    Nice, let us know where and who to order to. Like I said, I'll take a couple of tires. This will add to my collection of un-used tires (BG Rock and Road... other 36er... I might open a shop!)
    :-)
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So, tires will arrive to USA? Then main question - how much $$$ for european consumers (shipped)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'll want at least two and maybe another two for the parts room.

WIGGLER

TESTED!!! 500 Miles

Well I have 500 miles on the first gen proto's still going strong even in the rocky shailly
    desert trails of Arizona!!

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00442.jpg

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00443.jpg

Poll: 36er tires-dsc00233.jpg

Cant wait for the tires to come in!!
    Last edited by todwil; 08-31-2012 at 04:08 PM.

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Look like you were not joking while testing those tires!
    beautiful!
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

banned
    Aug 2012
    Your not going to tell DC are you I dont want any of his red chicklies.....I bought the grampa bars to try the sweep, the bars that are on it most are Niner carbon Kermit green.....SEE!

Name:	DSC00218.JPG 
Views:	847 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	714691

Where can I get one of those!?

Moderator Moderator

Paging mbeardsl...

Hey Matt -

Your email doesn't work, I'm getting lots of people emailing me to find out why. Call me, brother, or maybe figure out why your mail server hates everyone?

-Walt

mtbr member

What?!?!

I've been getting 150+ emails every day for the past 10 yrs, not sure what's up as I'm still getting regular emails (just got one from Todd actually), and nothing in my junk folder.

I'll call you tomorrow regardless. Sorry for any confusion.

banned
    Aug 2012
    So, where do I get one of those 36er frames? And the wheels too?
    Last edited by Cycling Cyco; 09-06-2012 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    So, where do I get one of those 36er frames? And the wheels too?
    Waltworks and blacsheep make 36er frames and forks the rims and spokes are unicycle.com the rest is regular bike parts

Ordered!!!

MR. 36er TROLL

WIGGLER
    Any update??

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    They have arrived in port and are going through customs in NYC (Sandy meant a slight delay).
    I have asked for an updated ETA to my place this morning and will let everyone know when I hear back. I'd assume late this week or first thing next which means they will leave my hands next week (finally).

WIGGLER
    Thanx, good to hear!!!!!

MR. 36er TROLL

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Preordered my pair as I said I would. Whats the ideal rim for these things now a days?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nimbus 36" Stealth2 Rim with Braking Surface | Unicycle.com

They go fast, so get em while you can!

Another shipment is arriving in January.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nimbus 36" Stealth2 Rim with Braking Surface | Unicycle.com

They go fast, so get em while you can!

Another shipment is arriving in January.

The January shipment will also have the rim without a machined braking surface, painted neon green. If you're into that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any update??
    bump. . . ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast