Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42

    Cool-blue Rhythm Pivot Mach 5.5 Review

    Woo Hooooooooooooooooooooo! Guess what I decided on???

    Climbing & Pedaling Efficiency

    I canít believe that the Mach 5.5 has so much rear suspension travel, yet when you are pedaling for all you are worth, the rear suspension is locked in. It has been years since Iíve been on a hardtail, but this bike behaved with the efficiency of a hardtail when pedaling and climbing. I just donít know how they do that. I think itís Magic.

    My old one-bar link rear suspension bike would bob up and down as I pedaled. It really didnít look like it was that significant, but after throwing a leg over the Pivot Mach 5.5, I can see that it makes all the difference in the world.

    The pedaling efficiency affects so much more than just conserving energy on the flats and climbing. Like when you are suddenly confronted with climbing a technical section. With a few pedal strokes you can quickly gain the momentum needed to clear it.

    I cannot overemphasize the importance of the pedaling efficiency. It makes the entire ride so much more effortless and efficient. I finish my rides with more energy in reserve than on my old bike.

    My first ride was on a local trail with lots of whoop-de-dos. Quite the roller coaster. On the flat section leading to a whoop, I would crank on the pedals to build momentum and the bike catapulted up the climb like turbo boost kicking in. I noticed on this ride that I was downshifting more often than normal, and not upshifting as much as expected. I pretty much stayed in the bottom half of the cassette for the majority of the ride. Inconceivable.

    At one point on another ride, following a technical section with rocks and numerous roots, the trail leveled and straightened out for a bit. I downshifted and cranked on the pedals, and the bike rocketed forward like twisting the grip on a high-performance superbike. Magic.

    Steering

    Steering is quick, direct and forgiving. It is aided immensely by the gobs of traction provided by the Maxxis Minion DHF 2.6Ē wide tire. This bike goes where you point it, but allows quick corrections which are crucial on the twisting trails through the trees here in NC. Yes, unlike the West Coast, we have lots of those green tree things here.

    Handling

    Cornering and jumping are phenomenal on this bike. I suck at both, but this bike makes me look so much better than I am. The wide rims add so much support to the tire sidewalls that when I land jumps the bike is forgiving and there are no ill consequences when my landing is off slightly. It is extremely confidence inspiring.
    Those same wide rims add support to the sidewalls when cornering so the bike digs in and rails in corners.


    Overall Summary

    The Pivot Mach 5.5 is extremely efficient and confidence inspiring. It is more fun than should be legal. It once again reminds me that mountain biking is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

    The Mach 5.5 is a technological tour-de-force. It incorporates so many technological improvements, geometry tweaks, and advancements in composite technology from years of development compared to my old dinosaur. The net effect is that the ride is more effortless and so much more fun!

    My old bike was heavy and cumbersome. My new Pivot Mach 5.5 is light and agile.


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,836
    Really, really cool bike. Too bad they only have a 3 year warranty, or I would own one too.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post
    Woo Hooooooooooooooooooooo! Guess what I decided on???

    Climbing & Pedaling Efficiency

    I canít believe that the Mach 5.5 has so much rear suspension travel, yet when you are pedaling for all you are worth, the rear suspension is locked in. It has been years since Iíve been on a hardtail, but this bike behaved with the efficiency of a hardtail when pedaling and climbing. I just donít know how they do that. I think itís Magic.

    My old one-bar link rear suspension bike would bob up and down as I pedaled. It really didnít look like it was that significant, but after throwing a leg over the Pivot Mach 5.5, I can see that it makes all the difference in the world.

    The pedaling efficiency affects so much more than just conserving energy on the flats and climbing. Like when you are suddenly confronted with climbing a technical section. With a few pedal strokes you can quickly gain the momentum needed to clear it.

    I cannot overemphasize the importance of the pedaling efficiency. It makes the entire ride so much more effortless and efficient. I finish my rides with more energy in reserve than on my old bike.

    My first ride was on a local trail with lots of whoop-de-dos. Quite the roller coaster. On the flat section leading to a whoop, I would crank on the pedals to build momentum and the bike catapulted up the climb like turbo boost kicking in. I noticed on this ride that I was downshifting more often than normal, and not upshifting as much as expected. I pretty much stayed in the bottom half of the cassette for the majority of the ride. Inconceivable.

    At one point on another ride, following a technical section with rocks and numerous roots, the trail leveled and straightened out for a bit. I downshifted and cranked on the pedals, and the bike rocketed forward like twisting the grip on a high-performance superbike. Magic.

    Steering

    Steering is quick, direct and forgiving. It is aided immensely by the gobs of traction provided by the Maxxis Minion DHF 2.6Ē wide tire. This bike goes where you point it, but allows quick corrections which are crucial on the twisting trails through the trees here in NC. Yes, unlike the West Coast, we have lots of those green tree things here.

    Handling

    Cornering and jumping are phenomenal on this bike. I suck at both, but this bike makes me look so much better than I am. The wide rims add so much support to the tire sidewalls that when I land jumps the bike is forgiving and there are no ill consequences when my landing is off slightly. It is extremely confidence inspiring.
    Those same wide rims add support to the sidewalls when cornering so the bike digs in and rails in corners.


    Overall Summary

    The Pivot Mach 5.5 is extremely efficient and confidence inspiring. It is more fun than should be legal. It once again reminds me that mountain biking is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

    The Mach 5.5 is a technological tour-de-force. It incorporates so many technological improvements, geometry tweaks, and advancements in composite technology from years of development compared to my old dinosaur. The net effect is that the ride is more effortless and so much more fun!

    My old bike was heavy and cumbersome. My new Pivot Mach 5.5 is light and agile.

    Hello- how's the mach 5.5 compared to the Ibis Mojo 3? I'm still debate between these two bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,377
    Glad to see you are happy with your bike. I'll most likely be getting the same bike, in black, in a few weeks.

    d365...I recently cracked my Mach 6 frame (100% my fault) which I've had for longer than the warranty period and Pivot is still hooking me up with a crash replacement frame. I've very impressed with their customer service. I was going to toss the frame until a dealer contacted Pivot for me and hooked me up.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    d365...I recently cracked my Mach 6 frame (100% my fault) which I've had for longer than the warranty period and Pivot is still hooking me up with a crash replacement frame. I've very impressed with their customer service. I was going to toss the frame until a dealer contacted Pivot for me and hooked me up.
    Well, I wouldn't expect a warranty unless it was a defect, but a good crash replacement policy is very valuable, maybe more so (if it is truly a substantially discounted price). I've also had a bike warrantied for defect at year 5-6, so I was glad to have it. 3 years just seems pretty subpar for something this expensive, and compared to a lot of their competition. If I traded bikes more often, it wouldn't be as big a deal to me, but I don't usually.

    Anyway, I didn't mean to step on the new bike stoke. Just jealous.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    Sorry - never thrown a leg over an Ibis Mojo.

    I wanted to support my local bike shops and give them my business. Nobody sells Ibis around here.

    I've actually heard a few very positive stories like k2rider's. Pivot goes above and beyond on customer service.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    For anyone near the Charlotte NC area, I got my Pivot Mach 5.5 through John at Get In Gear Bicycles. He is in Harrisburg.

    Go see John and he will hook you up!

    https://www.getingearbicycles.com/




    Last edited by Rockohaulic; 07-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2
    What size frame did you go with? I'm 5'9 and thinking a medium but looking at the geometry the medium seems really big.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    971
    K2 let us know how you like the 5.5 in comparison to your M-6 and even the SB5 you used to ride. The 5.5 looks like a possible for my next bike.

  10. #10
    Nothing seems to kill me
    Reputation: CUP-TON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    395
    I did a few hour test ride on the 5.5 and have to say it did climb exceptionally. I own and love a M6 which is no slouch doing techy climbs, but the 5.5 took it to another level. The bike was so efficient yet the rear wheel hugged the ground like it was never going to slip. Even on loose decomposing granite. It was a confidence inspiring feeling. I even tried to trade my M6 in on a 5.5 at the Pivot demo, but they were not having it. The 5.5 felt comfortable immediately unlike the new Firebird. I also test rode the Switchblade and the 5.5 beat it in all respects , hands down. The Switchblade was a little bit of work on the climbs, both the 27+ and the 29er setup. Coming down I would have to say the M6 holds it's own but the 5.5 was a bit more compliant.
    The 5.5 will probably be my next ride, unless they come out with another magic bike before then.

    I also want to give kudos to Pivots crash replacement policy. I have an alloy Firebird that I cracked the rear triangle on that was way out of warranty. Pivot sold me a new frame with a new DPS shock for a little more than the shock alone retailed.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

  11. #11
    Nothing seems to kill me
    Reputation: CUP-TON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Missingparts View Post
    What size frame did you go with? I'm 5'9 and thinking a medium but looking at the geometry the medium seems really big.
    Hey MP, I am about 5'10" and test rode a medium and loved it. Felt right at home. I test rode a medium carbon Firebird a while ago and did not like it. It felt way too long.
    But on paper they don't look much different. Go figure..
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    K2 let us know how you like the 5.5 in comparison to your M-6 and even the SB5 you used to ride. The 5.5 looks like a possible for my next bike.
    Absolutely Frank...we'll see how it goes with the 2.6 tires. A buddy has the Mojo 3 and I hated the 2.8 tires on it (so did he and now runs 2.3 Maxxis tires).
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    971
    K2- yep, I tried several bikes and bike brands with 27.5/2.8 and it just didn't work for me so I ended up on my HT/29 which is really versatile. The 2.6 tires might be the perfect middle ground-we shall see.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bikeventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    143
    Any rumors of aluminum version?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    I'm 5' 9". In the morning. Before I compress during the day. When I exaggerate slightly.

    Anyway, my Pivot Mach 5.5 is a Medium, and it is fitting perfect. My old Ventana X-5 was a medium, and it felt smaller, and I felt like I was on top of the bike.

    The Pivot is a better fit. I'm thinking that not only would a small be too small, but it would put me "on top" again, and defeat the purpose of the latest in geometry.

    I've never ridden the "true" Plus tyres (27.5 x 2.8), but I am loving the 2.6 tyres and the 35mm rims. The handling is solid, and the corning and jumping is so much better than I am. The tyre does not move and roll around on the rim like on my old bike. It is solid, and the huge improvement in handling is a direct result.
    Last edited by Rockohaulic; 07-28-2017 at 07:43 AM.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    390
    Same here... I'm 5'11 w/ 32" inseam and currently ride a '15 Mach6. I love this bike like there's no tomorrow but as I get more out of shape and less daring, this bike is way too much bike for South Florida (although I've ridden it in AL, NC, GA, TN) and I prefer something with less travel for the 90% I'm here in FL. I'm inbetween M and L frame, so I'd love to hear more reviews and sizing info from other riders as I'll most likely be getting the Mach5.5 later this year...
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wooly88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    319
    I'm 5'10.5" and ride a medium Mach 5.5. I really deliberated bard about getting a large but as I ride the medium I'm glad I didn't size up. The large felt big and I like how the medium feels capable (aka lots of travel) but nimble. Great for the single track that I have locally.

    Btw - I've got a 50mm stem and 760mm bars.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    41
    I was told by my dealer that last week Pivot announced their frames will now have a 10 yr warranty. I havent read anything online yet but thought that was a def. a move in the right direction for Pivot.

  19. #19
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,508
    Why does the bike have only 140mm travel when the fork can handle 160mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Why does the bike have only 140mm travel when the fork can handle 160mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    The Mach 6 has more rear suspension

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Why does the bike have only 140mm travel when the fork can handle 160mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    Because the engineers at Pivot thought that that was enough. And they know a helluva lot more about mountain bike design than you do.

    And also because nowhere in the world does it say that front travel must/should equal rear travel. Why does a hardtail have ZERO rear travel and oftentimes a fork that has 120+ mm travel? CUZ IT WORKS.

    Sorry, I'm just not in the mood tonight to let one of your oddball questions get a pass.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Why does the bike have only 140mm travel when the fork can handle 160mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    I read that Chris Cocalis at Pivot initially designed it for a 150mm fork. Then he rode it with a 160 and really loved the way it handled with the 160. So he specs it with the 160mm fork.

    Mine has the Fox 36 Factory Fork. Sweeeeeeeeet!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    Any rumors of aluminum version?

    Not for the Mach 5.5.

    I just got back into the hobby after 10 years of flying large RC helicopters. When I left, carbon fiber was something for roadies and was frowned upon by mountain bikers because it fails catastrophically.

    Well apparently in the last 10 years they have improved CF immensely, and some companies are actually abandoning aluminum entirely.

    10 years ago I would have sworn I would never ride an all carbon fiber bike. But now I love mine!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Pivot Carbon Fiber Warranty - Good News!

    *** 10 Year Warranty ***

    Apparently there has been some talk at Pivot about the 3 year warranty. According to a very reliable source, Pivot will be releasing an official announcement very soon that any carbon bike sold after June 1st will have an official warranty of 10 years.

    Bravo Pivot!
    Last edited by Rockohaulic; 08-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bikeventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post
    Not for the Mach 5.5.

    I just got back into the hobby after 10 years of flying large RC helicopters. When I left, carbon fiber was something for roadies and was frowned upon by mountain bikers because it fails catastrophically.

    Well apparently in the last 10 years they have improved CF immensely, and some companies are actually abandoning aluminum entirely.

    10 years ago I would have sworn I would never ride an all carbon fiber bike. But now I love mine!
    Carbon is great except for the price. Entry to a carbon bike is always over $4k. Some brands offer aluminum versions of their top bikes for a grand less. I would love for Pivot to offer an aluminum version of XT 1x build for under $4k like they do with the Mach 6.

  26. #26
    nimble biker
    Reputation: Picard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,508
    Does the fox 36 have shims to reduce travel to 140mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Does the fox 36 have shims to reduce travel to 140mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    Sorry I don't personally know.

    Can anyone else address this question???

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Really, really cool bike. Too bad they only have a 3 year warranty, or I would own one too.
    With the new 10 year warranty, you can now own a Pivot!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Does the fox 36 have shims to reduce travel to 140mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    The 2018 Fox 36 has shaft to reduce/increase travel unlike the 2015-2017 36, it use spacers. its $44 at https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...air-shaft-2018
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post
    With the new 10 year warranty, you can now own a Pivot!
    I had two issues with Pivot, one is their 3 year warranty and two is the use of press fit bottom brackets. Now that the warranty is 10 years, I'm hoping they would change back to threaded bb like others have. That will be a home run for me!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Why does the bike have only 140mm travel when the fork can handle 160mm?

    Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
    Cuz it's a party in the front and all business in the back.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guppie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    Carbon is great except for the price. Entry to a carbon bike is always over $4k. Some brands offer aluminum versions of their top bikes for a grand less. I would love for Pivot to offer an aluminum version of XT 1x build for under $4k like they do with the Mach 6.
    Same here

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

  33. #33
    mtbr santa cruz member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    147
    It has 140mm travel in the rear. The fox 36 has 160mm of travel but the bike does not. Bikes are so slack now, the actual bike travel is closer to 150. The fork travel is measured on the vertical plane but is really on a 66 degree angle.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42
    Pivot's New 10 Year Warranty on Carbon Frames


    Posted on Pivot Cycles website:
    Warranty Information & Registration - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined


    Pivot Cycles Limited Warranty

    Pivot Cycles warrants to the original purchaser of Pivot Cycles bicycles, frames and Pivot Cycles Phoenix-branded components purchased from an authorized Pivot Cycles dealer to be free from defects caused by improper workmanship and/or material as follows:

    (a) For new Pivot Cycles bicycles and frames purchased on or after June 1, 2017:

    (i) Carbon frames purchased on or after June 1, 2017 will be covered by this warranty for ten (10) years from the date of the original purchase at retail.


    Last edited by Rockohaulic; 09-15-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Local peeps, need your suggestions: Pivot Mach 6 or Mach 4
    By w1kk3d in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 03:40 AM
  2. Pivot Mach 427 - Mach 4 conversion
    By kleinhead in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 268

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •