mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Cool-blue Rhythm Outfitting Advice

Greetings everyone,

I've been perusing the threads for a bit, but decided to tap into the collective wisdom here for a bike purchase I'm hoping to make. I'm returning to the mountain bike scene now that I have found my way home to good 'ol Colorado. Years ago when I still lived in the Rockies, I had been riding downhill on a 2009 Giant Reign 1 (which I later sold when I moved to the East Coast. Needless to say, the mtn bike scene has changed a bit as have my preferences for riding.

I'm hoping to ride mostly XC trail and bikepacking in my return to the sport (my body wouldn't tolerate the downhill anymore, ha). I've tested a number of 27.5 hardtails and that seems to be a good fit for what I'm looking for. My budget is around $1000 and I'm considering the following:

• Raleigh Tokul 3-$959- (have heard a lot of good things both in terms of performance and cost)
    • Jamis Komodo-$900- (test rode and liked the frame/wheel setup- the fork left something to be desired. Local LBS is offering a deal on it for me)
    • Diamondback Overdrive Pro 27.5- $900- (have a corporate deal and noticed that the specs were great for getting back into things)
    • Jamis Dragonslayer Sport-$1100-(Same LBS is offering a personal deal- though this is stretching the price range a bit)

I'm hoping for a durable bike that can get me started with the type of riding I mentioned (I hope to ride both in the Telluride and Moab area). I know it's tough to compare different bikes but just wanted to hear if any of you had ridden one or multiple of these and would recommend.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Throw out the Tokul and the Komodo.

The last two left are very different bikes - 27.5 plus steel and 27.5 aluminum

For general XC and bike packing my vote is the Dragonslayer - save a month or two and get that one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Throw out the Tokul and the Komodo.

The last two left are very different bikes - 27.5 plus steel and 27.5 aluminum

For general XC and bike packing my vote is the Dragonslayer - save a month or two and get that one.

Thanks for confirming what I had kind of been thinking about the Komodo and the Tokul. I went to another LBS yesterday and tested out a few of the Salsas and have definitely decided that I prefer 27.5 + over the usually sized tire (aka- no Overdrive for me). Stumbled on the Timberjack 27.5 NX-1 and was very impressed. Starting to lean that direction since this LBS is a bit closer to me (for future service, etc) but have a soft spot of the Dragonslayer.

Any problems with the Salsa hubs, etc? I had heard that there were some concerns with some of the "under the hood" components that Salsa uses. The Rock Shox Judy fork was a big selling point- very plush- just wanted to know if there were any issues with durability otherwise (have only heard good things about Jamis in this regard, including the steel frame of course).

mtbr member
    You may also want to go to the Bikepacking and Bike Expedition forum to get their take, depending on how serious you are about bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Good call, I'll post it there too.