Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.

Anyone else really impressed with the new Orbea Rallon?

I'm struggling to find any boxes it doesn't tick - long top tube, slack HA, steep SA, short chainstays, stealth routing, threaded BB, ISCG-05 tabs, adjustable geometry, simple leverage curve, big shock, etc.

It's not carbon, but that also helps it from costing an arm and a leg. Plus, I'm thinking carbon wheels might make more of a difference than a carbon frame (ie alloy frame/carbon wheels>carbon frame/alloy wheels).

There are some favorable reviews popping up around the internets:
    Pinkbike
    Bikeradar
    Enduro-MTB

I'm riding one on Saturday, can't wait!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Not overly impressed with the Geometry, but full BOS-Suspension is killer and the Rallon seems to be a serious fun-orientated AM-Bike overall. I like it.

Chumley for prez!
    I did a short ride on one (L sizeway), and I found the geometry to be bang on. I think Orbea's got a winner on it's hands.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This will be my next bike in early 2014! Facts are very nice. The geometry looks spot on and you can't go wrong with the BOS suspension.
    I am not sure yet which size and color to get. Beeing 184cm tall I could go with medium or large I think.

@mr.welcorn
    Whats your height and how do you felt on that large Rallon? From the numbers it seems to be more like x-large.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    @mr.welcorn
    Whats your height and how do you felt on that large Rallon? From the numbers it seems to be more like x-large.
    Hey, so I got in another ride on the large and I felt much more comfortable on the bike this time. I'm 193cm and rode with a 50mm stem. Felt perfect for me, but it's a BIG bike, long wheelbase, long toptube, etc.

Based on your height, you could probably go either way, but you might want a 35mm stem if you go large? I'd try both and see which feels best to you. On the other hand, the medium will be lighter?

A word on the BOS, it's aptly named! The rear suspension is really really good. Orbea did their homework there. This is a very fast bike. Curious to see if Noah's experience is similar to mine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So it felt very big and not playfull in size L?
    So I might go with the medium. I like short stems but if the frame is that long..
    Do you felt stretched on the bike while pedaling?

Chumley for prez!
    So it felt very big and not playfull in size L?
    So I might go with the medium. I like short stems but if the frame is that long..
    Do you felt stretched on the bike while pedaling?
    I thought the geo of the large felt great and the short chain stays made it quite "playful". However, I'm 7cm taller than you and I weigh 200 lbs (91 kgs). My current trail bike is an Xl rip rdo which is also quite big, so you get the idea.

Sounds like you could go either way, it just depends on whether you want a more compact fit or if you want to be stretched out a bit?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Well, I got to shred on it...

Got to ride it today! Did about twenty miles on super flowy, buff trails - this baby rips! I'm really impressed so far. I've got it for a week, hopefully the weather holds out and I can get more time on it. Too early to make too many bold statements, but I can say it is a pretty impressive package. The large fits me well at 6'1" - feels like a natural position coming off XL Santa Cruz frames.

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea5.jpgOrbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea4.jpgOrbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea3.jpgOrbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea.jpg

More to come as I get it some time on it.....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Better get on it. Weather is about to take a big dump! Let me how how that thing rails the trainer

mtbr member
    Mr Colorado, if you get an opportunity could you throw that fine looking rig on a scale, any idea of the frame weight?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Not sure on frame weight, but as-is the scale reads a hair over 30 (with Mallet pedals).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

What a bike !

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I like this bike too. Someone have tried to change the geometry to the super-low position ? XX1 comes with 175mm or 170mm crankset ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan-Bagnat View Post
    I like this bike too. Someone have tried to change the geometry to the super-low position ? XX1 comes with 175mm or 170mm crankset ?
    They all come with 170mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Gotta spend 7K to get the BOS stuff

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Does anyone know the shock size of the BOS Kirk on the Rallon?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    8.5" x 2.5" I believe.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you!
    Any new impressions on the Rallon from you?
    Still trying to decide between a Lapierre Zesty/Spicy and the new Rallon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    8.5"x2.5" (216x63mm) according to the BOS Shock Compatibility Chart

http://www.bosmtb.com/uploads/media/...12-2013_03.pdf

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Climbing ?

Thank you!
    Any new impressions on the Rallon from you?
    Still trying to decide between a Lapierre Zesty/Spicy and the new Rallon.
    I'm curious also to know more things about this bike. Mr Colorado, how was the bike to climb ? With short chainstays and a 160mm fork don't you have got too much wheelies ?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    I'm curious also to know more things about this bike. Mr Colorado, how was the bike to climb ? With short chainstays and a 160mm fork don't you have got too much wheelies ?
    Not with the really long front center measurement, the front end stays planted. The bike pedals really well because of the relation of the pivot to the chainrings but it's not going to win any Strava KOM's against a 125mm trail bike. But if you consider it weighs around 29 lbs and has geometry similar to a Demo 8 but with a longer cockpit, it climbs like a squirrel on fire! It feels really snappy the harder you pedal, so when you are throwing in a few quick pedal strokes between corners it really goes. I will post up a weight when I have my ENVEs set up.

Edit: 28.3 lbs with Enve AM

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-enverallonsm.jpg
    Last edited by JMH; 01-23-2014 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    This looks like a really killer bike. Enough to make my mind stray from my Bronson which is now feeling a little short in the cockpit. Has anyone else swung a leg over the new Rallon yet? Any riders who are about 5'9" with sizing feedback? I'm down to a shootout between the Rallon and the Kona Process 153 and I'm having a tough time deciding.
    Last edited by Foxbat; 02-03-2014 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i am ordering the rallon today and i am 5'9.6" ( 177cm) and i am confused since the medium has really long top tube and wheel base but the size chart says 175 is the max for the small. can anyone help with this ?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar Soliman View Post
    i am ordering the rallon today and i am 5'9.6" ( 177cm) and i am confused since the medium has really long top tube and wheel base but the size chart says 175 is the max for the small. can anyone help with this ?
    You can fit on a small but you are better off on the medium. These medium bikes are really med/large or large as in most brands. It's best described as an 18" or 18.5 inch bike.

What's going on is the top tube is pretty darn long.

But it is made to run 45-50mm stems and wide bars so the long top tube is key. The bike has a long wheelbase to make it stable when thundering through the chunder.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This bike is truly incredible and is the surprise of the Mtbr bike test. Orbea jumped two notches in the trail bike arena with this introduction.

They are excelling in two levels:

1) The geometry is different from the rest. Stays are short but wheelbase is long. What's going on is they wanted it quick on the rear but very stable on the fast and rough descents. What you get is a bike that is stable yet really playful. The rear will want to drift on you (specially with that small Mavic rear tire) but it is all very controllable (if you're good ).

BB is low at 13.3 inches but they countered it with short cranks to prevent pedal strikes when climbing and cornering.

Seat tube is steep at 74.5 degrees and this thing pedals like a champ. Rear shock has things under control and there just doesn't to be a lot of pedal bob.

2) Components are amazing! BOS suspension, Mavic wheels, Raceface, Fizik. Everything is best of breed!!! Except the brakes.

The key is the ride is rad. It is like a hammer on the downhills. And it can climb.

First Look: Orbea Rallon Breaks Away with 160mm of Tuned BOS Suspension | Mountain Bike Review
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Downsides are:

There is some rear swingarm flex for very powerful or heavy riders. The suspension arm is very beefy but it is not supported by the seat tube at all.

The rear tire is squirrelly. It was made to drift and get around switchbacks fast. It's cool but it's not for everyone.

Brakes are not as good as Shimano XTs. And the BOS suspension, despite being awesome has knobs that are very difficult to turn.

The key is that this is a race bike. It's like an F1 bike for the aggressive rider. It will be awesome for many but it's not for everyone looking for a weekender bike with simple geometry and suspension.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Downsides are:

There is some rear swingarm flex for very powerful or heavy riders. The suspension arm is very beefy but it is not supported by the seat tube at all.

The rear tire is squirrelly. It was made to drift and get around switchbacks fast. It's cool but it's not for everyone.

Brakes are not as good as Shimano XTs. And the BOS suspension, despite being awesome has knobs that are very difficult to turn.

The key is that this is a race bike. It's like an F1 bike for the aggressive rider. It will be awesome for many but it's not for everyone looking for a weekender bike with simple geometry and suspension.

fc
    Thanks the candid pros and cons on the bike. Being from Orbea, I think the Rallon is really a surprise and isn't getting the same attention to be reviewed like other brands.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    Thanks the candid pros and cons on the bike. Being from Orbea, I think the Rallon is really a surprise and isn't getting the same attention to be reviewed like other brands.
    It is starting to make waves. But as waves are, slowly at first.

Because it's from Orbea (aka not a dominant player) in all mountain, they had to get the best parts available and not rely on house brands or lucrative existing OE relationships.

Also, we mock 'Enduro Racing' all the time. But that is what made this bike possible. It's given a company like Orbea a target and clear marching orders for building a bike. The needs for Enduro are clearly defined by Enduro World Championship rules. And the rewards of the podium are concrete too. It's easier to gain budget and resources when the rules and rewards of the game are spelled out.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hello,

I've ordered a frame. Would a chris king i2 headset work with it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey! I have found a great deal on Orbea Rallon R3, 26" inch wheels, size M. My height is 6'(183 cm), and wheigh around 86 kg(190 pounds). Normal legs(lenght) and rather shorter arms(1-2 cm shorter than normal). Do you think it fits me or maybe is too small?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgor View Post
    Hello,

I've ordered a frame. Would a chris king i2 headset work with it?
    If the headset is the same as the Occam you need a IS-42 / 28.6 top and a IS-52 bottom headset.. as far as I know Kind does not make "integrated" headsets so I got a 110 series cane creek, very nice actually..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bicirila View Post
    Hey! I have found a great deal on Orbea Rallon R3, 26" inch wheels, size M. My height is 6'(183 cm), and wheigh around 86 kg(190 pounds). Normal legs(lenght) and rather shorter arms(1-2 cm shorter than normal). Do you think it fits me or maybe is too small?
    Thanks!
    I ride a large 29er Occam been 6.2" but I wish I got the medium frame, the top tubes are super long on Orbea's

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I ride a large 29er Occam been 6.2" but I wish I got the medium frame, the top tubes are super long on Orbea's
    Thanks for the quick reply my friend! So for the rallon r3(26" wheels) the same thing applies? That means I should go for it? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply my friend! So for the rallon r3(26" wheels) the same thing applies? That means I should go for it? Thanks again!
    I don't know the R3 but if you measure the top length in a horizontal line from the top of the headset (at the center axis) to the middle of the seatpost and get around 24" the bike will fit you just fine, actually 23 3/4" will be perfect for most people of your size.

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    I'm 183cm and last two years had a R3 size M with a 55cm stem. perfect fit for me. You must try it! it depends in how you like to go in your bike but probably will fit you better the medium than the large...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks!
    Go for it. Had mine in size M and I'm the same height as you. Was running with 9cm stem as I liked it to be a bit longer in the front.
    BTW, I will also have my bike for sale for ridiculously low price in a few weeks time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the answer! I got it, and it seems fine(didn't get the chance to ride it yet)

mtbr member
    This is mine...

Orbea Rallon X-team, with some updates.
    Size: S
    Weight: 28,88lb

regards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rokesoke View Post
    This is mine...

Orbea Rallon X-team, with some updates.
    Size: S
    Weight: 28,88lb

regards.
    Hi Rokesoke, how tall are you if you don't mind me asking? Looking at either the s or m I'm 5,8'.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Here is mine too:

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-img_20140225_111430.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Orbea Rallon. Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugg View Post
    Hi Rokesoke, how tall are you if you don't mind me asking? Looking at either the s or m I'm 5,8'.

Cheers
    Hi.
    I'm 5,61'.
    S size fits perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Fugg, ksink, rokesoke: Those are some nice looking rides! I'm jealous!

I was able to place an order for the frameset through my local dealer but latest word from the factory has the delivery scheduled for April. It's going to be a long wait.

mtbr member
    Don't worry Foxbat. I have been waiting from first week of November until end of January. But it the deserves the wait!

Sent from my TCL S950 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Orbea Rallon. Yes please.

One pic more for the wait?

Sent from my TCL S950 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pinkbike review is up:

Orbea Rallon X-Team - Review - Pinkbike

What a bike!

mtbr member

Hooligan
    yeah, i jest read it, looks like something i would be interested in!
    However the trails that they tested it on look laughable, a BMX would be just fine on those smooth berms. riding a bike like this on a trail like that is just wasted potential. makes me wonder how comprehensive the review was, looks almost as bad as taking it for a lap around a parking lot and making drawing conclusions about how it soaks up bumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    yeah, i jest read it, looks like something i would be interested in!
    However the trails that they tested it on look laughable, a BMX would be just fine on those smooth berms. riding a bike like this on a trail like that is just wasted potential. makes me wonder how comprehensive the review was, looks almost as bad as taking it for a lap around a parking lot and making drawing conclusions about how it soaks up bumps.
    I get the sense from reading the two reviews that Pinkbike tested the bike on more challenging terrain. I drew the conclusion from PB's review that it was quite capable descending.

mtbr member
    Yep cross bike terrain from the pics and they talk about climbing on a fire road - how about rocky, steep chunky climbs? And they complain about the low BB on the Rallon at 13.3 but say nothing about the 13.2 BB on the Solo and of ourse, any bike with a BB higher than 13.5 is labeled a circus bike by most. Also all the reviews seem disjointed and not very consistent. I think this comparo is a great dea but poorly executed. I don't get the drip feeding of reviews either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Starting to ride a Small. It's a serious ripper, suspension is very plush en geometry is quite spot on. While the rear tire is quite small and doesn't seem that grippy it really wants to drift in the corners while in muddy terrain I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of traction is gives.

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-p4pb10707686.jpg

mtbr member
    congratulations K2-man. enjoy it!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ksink View Post
    congratulations K2-man. enjoy it!!
    Unfortunatley it is not mine yet, its a testbike for a magazin. But I am convinced 100% of the potential from this machine and will swap my current bike for one of these.

I fix choppers
    I demoed one of these a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. It rode better than any AM/Enduro/whatever the hell it's called now bike I have demoed in the last six months including a $10K+ Bronson. If I could have bought it on the spot I would have. However, it retails for $7000 and I already have a full spec ready to go. I almost considering buying just the frame, but that alone with the BOS is nearly $2700 and the CC DB Air I have will not fit due to clearance issues. In the end it's a very nice bike, but it has a lot of very good competition and I think most will be swayed by the lure of carbon versus paying for carbon prices for an aluminum bike. I have to say that the SixC crankset were the stiffest cranks I have ever pedaled, again though at stratospheric prices.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    I think the Rallon is a pretty good value compared to the carbon Bronson (which I currently own). Orbea is selling the frame with the BOS Kirk shock for $2299 while the Bronson is $2899 with a much less capable Fox CTD shock. A better comparison is probably the new carbon 650B Nomad which I'm guessing will inch closer to the magical $3000 mark, probably higher with a CCDB-Air. With a little careful shopping you could build a killer Rallon for much less than the $7000 X-Team model and much much less than the builds from Santa Cruz.

I fix choppers
    I think the Rallon is a pretty good value compared to the carbon Bronson (which I currently own). Orbea is selling the frame with the BOS Kirk shock for $2299 while the Bronson is $2899 with a much less capable Fox CTD shock. A better comparison is probably the new carbon 650B Nomad which I'm guessing will inch closer to the magical $3000 mark, probably higher with a CCDB-Air. With a little careful shopping you could build a killer Rallon for much less than the $7000 X-Team model and much much less than the builds from Santa Cruz.
    Sorry, my numbers were a wee bit off. My situation was unique as I already have an entire component set, wheels, fork and a Cane Creek DB Air. The DB Air I have is the correct size for the Orbea, but there is not enough clearance between the top tube and the shock mounts for it to fit. Sure, I could sell it, but the difference still would set me back an additional $450-500 over the frame I have chosen. Performance wise, I spent an hour on a BronsonC/ENVE/XTR last fall and and an hour on the Rallon. The Rallon was far more solid feeling and suspension never felt taxed. The geometry on both was killer, but Rallon was ridiculous in how much you could fearlessly blast through anything at warp speed as well as get nutty in any air war. I think the Bronson built with a Pike and a DB Air would rival or surpass it, but the Fox stuff hinders that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Sorry, my numbers were a wee bit off. My situation was unique as I already have an entire component set, wheels, fork and a Cane Creek DB Air. The DB Air I have is the correct size for the Orbea, but there is not enough clearance between the top tube and the shock mounts for it to fit. Sure, I could sell it, but the difference still would set me back an additional $450-500 over the frame I have chosen. Performance wise, I spent an hour on a BronsonC/ENVE/XTR last fall and and an hour on the Rallon. The Rallon was far more solid feeling and suspension never felt taxed. The geometry on both was killer, but Rallon was ridiculous in how much you could fearlessly blast through anything at warp speed as well as get nutty in any air war. I think the Bronson built with a Pike and a DB Air would rival or surpass it, but the Fox stuff hinders that bike.
    HELLBELLY I didn't direct my comment at you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Your situation is totally reasonable and I'd do the same thing in your position. I wish the DBAir fit on the frame too.

I was reminded more by comments over on other sites "cough, Pinkbike, cough" where people seemed fixated on the fact that the bike isn't carbon yet has price tag north of $7000 - it has some very high-end components that contribute to that cost.

When I ride a bike I notice the quality of the suspension or the geometry far more than the extra pound less that carbon might provide.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky?

I fix choppers
    HELLBELLY I didn't direct my comment at you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Your situation is totally reasonable and I'd do the same thing in your position. I wish the DBAir fit on the frame too.

I was reminded more by comments over on other sites "cough, Pinkbike, cough" where people seemed fixated on the fact that the bike isn't carbon yet has price tag north of $7000 - it has some very high-end components that contribute to that cost.

When I ride a bike I notice the quality of the suspension or the geometry far more than the extra pound less that carbon might provide.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky?

Nope, I just believe that one's bs detector becomes more acute with time. That said, the Rallon X-Team has a pretty damn amazing parts spec. The SixC cranks are fantastic and even though I am not a Shimano fan the drivetrain was spot on. Obviously the customized suspension is top tier as well. IMHO, there are no weight issues to complain about on that bike.

mtbr member
    maybe could be lighter in carbon, but I'm sure that we're not going to feel that difference.
    It's true that most people was expecting a carbon frame, but the bike feels quite light when you ride it!
    More important is to reduce weight of the rolling parts...like the wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    the Rallon frame is almost similar to Trek slash 650b .

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    where are you able to demo one? there arent a lot of orbea dealers around the northeast, and most of those are road oriented.

mtbr member
    Vital MTB just posted their review: Vital MTB 2014 Orbea Rallon X-LTD Review

Looks like a fairly honest assessment of the bike between three separate test riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ksink View Post
    Here is mine too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140225_111430.jpg 
Views:	5253 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	872210
    Mine is that color too. Love the wheels/rims. What are those?

mtbr member
    they're ZTR Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 EVO SP hubs. I added a fluorescent yellow rim decal, like motorbikes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I seem to be right on the cusp of Medium and Large at 6' even . What would the experts recommend for frame size?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    I seem to be right on the cusp of Medium and Large at 6' even . What would the experts recommend for frame size?
    I am the same height and would personally go with the large.

Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm the same height as you and decided to choose M with a bit longer stem (7 cm in stead of 5 cm as in the standard configuration).
    The bike feels great on climbs, just perfect lengthwise and is performing excellent on downhills.
    I would advise you to choose M as I prefer shorter bikes for their maneuverability.
    Also bearing in mind that my hands and legs are on average longer compared to other people this height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    I am the same height and would personally go with the large.

Cheers,
    KP
    Thx Kirk. I would presume this set up would include a short stem (40mm)? Seems to be the trend with the long front centre.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by _prodigy_ View Post
    I'm the same height as you and decided to choose M with a bit longer stem (7 cm in stead of 5 cm as in the standard configuration).
    The bike feels great on climbs, just perfect lengthwise and is performing excellent on downhills.
    I would advise you to choose M as I prefer shorter bikes for their maneuverability.
    Also bearing in mind that my hands and legs are on average longer compared to other people this height.
    If I understand the geometry numbers correctly running a medium with a 70mm stem would be roughly equivalent to a large with a 40mm, but maybe a bit better for descending? The seat angle seems to be steep enough for OK climbing even with the longer front centre.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Thx Kirk. I would presume this set up would include a short stem (40mm)? Seems to be the trend with the long front centre.
    Yes, a short stem and wide bars.
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    Yes, a short stem and wide bars.
    Wide bars aren't a problem.. all three of my bikes are 780mm + in width. Thx again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Wich position

Hi all.

I've the Rallon X-Ltd from 2 weeks now. I've not tried the "Lower" position.
    In which position do you use your Rallon ?

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I tried the lower position some weeks ago to enjoy the bikepark, and never changed again from this position...je,je,je

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone in the USA picked up a Rallon recently? I'm trying to get hold of the frameset. Who else is waiting?

mtbr member
    I received my frame about a month ago after ordering in February. From what I can gather Orbea did not foresee the level of demand for the bike leading to longer wait times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you guys ever suffer from creaks on your Rallon's here is the fix..

The "Bushing" above the bottom brackets needs to be "Glued" with Locktite to the frame and all the troubles will be gone.

Here is the piece on my Occam.
    Last edited by patineto; 06-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the X30 complete, (just easier to get than the frame only) and have had it for a month. But I've yet to ride it. I'm swapping out to full XT, and I9 wheels. Maybe a Pike also down the road.

Sadly, I've been working too hard with the rep to get my hands on the thru axle drop outs so I can mount my new wheels. It's been very hard waiting on such a small piece. Almost everything else is ready to go.

I rode a Bronson recently, and really hope this Rallon surpasses it.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    the Bronson is a nice bike, but I'm sure the R4 will surprasse it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel View Post
    I have the X30 complete, (just easier to get than the frame only) and have had it for a month. But I've yet to ride it. I'm swapping out to full XT, and I9 wheels. Maybe a Pike also down the road.

Sadly, I've been working too hard with the rep to get my hands on the thru axle drop outs so I can mount my new wheels. It's been very hard waiting on such a small piece. Almost everything else is ready to go.

I rode a Bronson recently, and really hope this Rallon surpasses it.
    I'm selling my Bronson and building my Rallon from the frame up. From my experience riding the new Nomad and Kona Process with their new school geometry, I'm really looking forward to the Rallon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Rallon = Superb

Just finished building up my Rallon L frame in blk/white. Road it a few days ago. Loving the frame very much. Orbea has great attention to detail, frame is real stiff, and quality is top notch. Previously owned a Focus SAM. It was ok but the size large was a bit too small for me. I like everything about the Rallon more than the SAM.

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-img_20140629_103004.jpg
    Last edited by phlstrk; 07-01-2014 at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    congratulations phlstrk!!!enjoy it!!

mtbr member

Rallon Race Report

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-14569906915_71039108f7_k.jpg
    Well I finally got my hands on my Rallon last Thursday with just enough time for a quick shakedown ride before heading to Bend for the Oregon Enduro Series race on Sunday.

Pulling the trigger on the Rallon with only a handful of reviews was a bit of a leap of faith. Coming off a Santa Cruz Bronson, I knew I wanted something a little a little longer, a little slacker, with more suspension, and a longer cockpit. The Rallon looked like a good option so I made the jump and placed an order for my frame.

And like so many other bikes this season, I waited.....so that first ride left me thinking "I hope it was all worth it."

My shakedown ride gave me a hint of what the Rallon was capable of. I decided to ride some trails that featured lots of square edge and off camber rocks and roots that challenged the composure of the Bronson once the speed started to really pick up. Immediately I knew that this was a different bike. I could pick lines through obstacles at speed that would have been dicey before. I can vouch that the Rallon really is really stable and predictable when pinning it through chunder. Despite this, it still feels quite agile through tight switchbacks and I really didn't feel slower than when piloting the Bronson. Looking at my Strava results for the ride matched my impressions. PR's on each of the test runs was a good sign.

Having never been to Bend before I didn't know exactly what to expect and with only one pre run of the course before the race, I didn't have a lot of trail knowledge to work with. The Rallon helped pick up the slack and was a champ through the technical first stage the high speed park-like second stage. The later stages had some longer sections that required dedicated pedaling effort which is the one area that the Bronson is a better bike, but not by a large margin. Sprinting out of the saddle, I didn't feel an unreasonable amount of bobbing. By comparison, the Rallon is a better sprinter than the Kona Process 153. Like any design, there are tradeoffs and I feel the downhill capabilities of the bike more than make up for the pedaling performance.

Given that I only had enough time to set the sag and tire pressure, I feel like there is a lot more performance to be extracted but my initial impression is that the Rallon is quite a ripper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Uh funny...I will also be riding in Bend (leaving less than a week) but for vacation and taking my Rallon. 5 days of riding can't wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlstrk View Post
    Uh funny...I will also be riding in Bend (leaving less than a week) but for vacation and taking my Rallon. 5 days of riding can't wait.
    Awesome! Make sure you ride Funner and Tiddlywinks while you're there. With any luck, you'll be just in time for the opening of the bike park at Mt. Bachelor too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My new ride

mtbr member
    Congrats! Now go get her dirty this weekend!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Done! And what a ride...!!! That bike is awesome! It is fast and fun! Much more fun to ride than the new Carbon Nomad that I had before! Great buy and I can recommend this bikes to all who want to ride a bike that is capable to go scary fast but also want to keep it being a fun ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

X30 Medium, upgrade to XT brakes rotors, ispec shifters, both ders.
    I9 enduro wheel set. Left stock bars and threw on 44mm flat force syntace stem.

What do you think?
    Really, really, thought I was gonna get a Bronson. So did all my friends. (both of them)
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So you had a Bronson huh? was it carbon? I'm curious to hear how you rate the climbing ability between the 2 bikes. I'm certain the rallon will shred way harder down, but when I tested the bronson I couldnt believe how well it went up.

Thanks
    10Speed
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey 10Speed,

I just got a new 2014 X30 large, all stock but i threw on a reverb stealth. Absolutely love the bike, but i'm curious to hear if your rear shock's climb mode is also oddly plush. mine seems *very* similar to trail mode, rather than closer to a stiff closer-to-hardtail setting. how's yours?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    you should feel big difference between the 2 modes...

mtbr member

Dirt Magazine Review

I just got the latest issue of Dirt which features a review of the Rallon. They had claimed in the past two issues that the YT Capra and the GT Sanction were the absolute top of the heap without any competition after a shootout with other current "Enduro" bikes. It was interesting to see them make room for three at the top after reviewing the Rallon as a dark horse contender.

Dirt Issue 150

mtbr member
    It was interesting to see them make room for three at the top after reviewing the Rallon as a dark horse contender.
    Far more interesting to me is that in the last few months Dirt have declared bikes from Kona, Lapierre, Ghost, Focus, Norco and Canyon essentially irrelevant in the face of the Capra, Sanction and now the Rallon.

They aren't mincing their words at the moment, must be some very sore feeling designers after reading those reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Far more interesting to me is that in the last few months Dirt have declared bikes from Kona, Lapierre, Ghost, Focus, Norco and Canyon essentially irrelevant in the face of the Capra, Sanction and now the Rallon.

They aren't mincing their words at the moment, must be some very sore feeling designers after reading those reviews.
    I can appreciate their willingness to have a shootout even at the cost of some hard feelings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just got the latest issue of Dirt which features a review of the Rallon. They had claimed in the past two issues that the YT Capra and the GT Sanction were the absolute top of the heap without any competition after a shootout with other current "Enduro" bikes. It was interesting to see them make room for three at the top after reviewing the Rallon as a dark horse contender.

Dirt Issue 150
    Nice review. It is interesting to see individual sizing preferences. The writer is 6' tall and said he felt "OK" on a large but feels they should produce an xl. The vitalmtb review stated that their testers were 5' 10" and 6' and they all felt good on a medium with the 5' 10" riders swapping the 50mm stem for a 35mm. I'm 5' 11" and I went with a medium. Should have it built up by the end of the month

----
    Yemi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yemi View Post
    Nice review. It is interesting to see individual sizing preferences. The writer is 6' tall and said he felt "OK" on a large but feels they should produce an xl. The vitalmtb review stated that their testers were 5' 10" and 6' and they all felt good on a medium with the 5' 10" riders swapping the 50mm stem for a 35mm. I'm 5' 11" and I went with a medium. Should have it built up by the end of the month
    Somebody on their staff likes really BIG bikes because the XL Sanction they're testing right now is monstrously long when you look geometry charts.

I think you'll really in for a treat. The Rallon is the sleeper hit of the year as far as I'm concerned. I've had the chance get some miles and a couple of races on mine and it continues to impress me.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Somebody on their staff likes really BIG bikes because the XL Sanction they're testing right now is monstrously long when you look geometry charts.

I think you'll really in for a treat. The Rallon is the sleeper hit of the year as far as I'm concerned. I've had the chance get some miles and a couple of races on mine and it continues to impress me.
    yeah no kidding. I'm 5'11" and the Med Rallon felt a tad long with a 50mm stem. I now run a 40mm stem and it's right on the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    @hevans

I hadn't checked til you said something.
    My rear shock hardly feels different in ANY of the three settings.
    Also when I put the lever all the way towards the non drive side it doesnt really feel like a positive click, like it does in the other two settings. Not a huge fan of the fox shock really. So far I've only had one chance to the ride the bike. I left the shock open the whole ride. Sadly I dented the front rim on the maiden voyage. Fuc..
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My buddy is 6'0" and I'm 5'9" we are both on the medium.
    He says he thinks he is probably maxing it out, but is happier with a smaller more chuckable bike. I think mine fits spot on after changing out the stem.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For anybody else concerned with their rear fox float ctd performance....

Just got off the phone with fox. really nice and helpful, the guy helping me looked up the tune and said its a very light tune since the bike is designed to go downhill so the climb mode isn't ever fully engaged as you find with xc and trail bikes. he said it's normal for downhill am/enduro bikes with lots of travel and a longer wheelbase, especially with the boostvalve on the shock.

So, it's totally normal to have a plush climb mode on the X30.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-rallonsnap.jpg

Finally built up my Rallon this weekend. It was well worth the wait. I'm very very impressed.

Quick overview of my build:

Medium size Rallon with Bos Kirk shock
    Pike RCT3 160mm
    Hope Tech3 E4 brakes front and rear
    RaceFace Next SL 175mm cranks with 26T direct mount chainring
    Shimano XT 10-speed with 11-36 cassette
    125mm Reverb Stealth seatpost
    Renthal Duo 50mm 10 degree stem
    Renthal Fatbar carbon DH bar 780mm wide with 30mm rise
    Light bicycle 23mm inner width carbon rim with I9 classic hubs
    Specialized Butcher control 2.3 front tire
    Pacenti Neo Moto 2.1 rear tire

Weight is close to 28lbs.

Rode ~25 miles and climbed ~3800 feet in Santa Cruz, CA. The trails took us through UC campus and Wilder ranch. Mostly flowing single track with some exciting descents that I ride quite frequently. Popular trails included "Mailboxes" and "Sweetness".

Let's start with the fit/sizing impressions. I'm 5'11" with long arms and ~33" inseam. The medium frame combined with 780mm bars feels perfect. The Renthals have very little sweep which is what I prefer. The combined height of the riser bar and 10 degree stem is great. No excessive hunching while seated and it's easy to shift my weight to the rear when descending.

The cockpit is roomy and I love the upright pedaling position thanks to the steep seat angle. The bike is a great climber and reacts well to quick bursts. I spent most of the time riding with the shock climbing lever open so pedal induced bob was not really an issue. A few friends even remarked that I seem to be motoring uphill a little quicker than usual. Was this just "New Bike Psyche"? hard to tell, but the Rallon can climb.

We hit the flowy stuff I seemed to have gained some new carving skills in the twists and turns. The low bb and short rear end make the bike really flickable. Once we started to descend things got even better! The bike just rips. My confidence level was at an all time high. The bike felt really composed…..the low centre of gravity makes you feel "in the bike" instead of "on top of the bike". The bike is easy to maneuver. It seems to have the right mix of feeling playful and stable.

At the end of the ride, friends who observed said I looked like a whole new rider: more aggressive, more confident. I love this bike.

----
    Yemi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast