Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hurtin'
    Jul 2005
    I'm thinking about making the switch to the Rallon from my Ibis Mojo HD. I'm 5'-7.5" (172cm) and I'm thinking the size small would work considering it has a much longer top tube than my medium HD.

I would assume a carbon frame can't be too far out. Any rumors of a carbon 2015 Rallon?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock05 View Post
    I'm thinking about making the switch to the Rallon from my Ibis Mojo HD. I'm 5'-7.5" (172cm) and I'm thinking the size small would work considering it has a much longer top tube than my medium HD.

I would assume a carbon frame can't be too far out. Any rumors of a carbon 2015 Rallon?
    I am also 172 and running a Small sized rallon. Toptube is quite longer then my previous bike (Nicolai Helius AM) and works perfect for me as I figured the Seattube on the medium would be a little too long.

It's a great bike, true Downhill weapon while still being a good climber. The bike gives so much confidence to pick up speed going downhill and the short rear end makes it really playfull, it just wants to rip through the berms.

I only upgraded the Shifters with I spec and was considering to swap the SLX brakes by XTR, but even these brakes are performing really well (much better than the crappy Formula brakes) so just leaving them on for now. Only doubting to see if the rear tyre is suited for muddy conditions.

Not to sure if Orbea will come with a Carbon version as their vision really was that good performing BOS suspension is resulting in a better bike then just a light frame with stock suspension.

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-sized_rallon.jpg

mtbr member

Ibis tends to design their bikes with short cockpits so I think your probably spot on for a size small coming from a medium Mojo.

No word on a carbon Rallon yet. I'm sure Orbea is still working to recoup the tooling costs for the aluminum frame and get feedback from the public before they invest in carbon molds.

mtbr member

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.

Can anyone comment on how the bike climbs up very chunky technical Rocky rooty steep trails? I don't care how it performs on a 2 mile fireroad just how it climbs on the steep technical terrain thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think Orbea now list their 2015 models on the website. Looks like the Rallon is still the same aluminum frame with some updates to the component packages. I'm so stoked on the geometry and handling of the bike. I don't feel like I'm missing out on a carbon frame. The biggest surprise is that it seems to climb better than my Santa Cruz TRc. I think this is largely due to the steeper seat tube. It just feels more comfortable for long climbs in the saddle. The Bos shock is on another level - It's so plush it feels like you're on a coil shock.

------
    Yemi

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well mine has the Fox setup, NOT the BOS. And it is not a great climber at all. It makes it up fire roads fine, I guess. Up trail, I just feel the 30+ pounds. Alot of spots my hardtail cruises up, the Rallon always needs pushed.

I'm already considering ditching the bike
    I regret not going balls out and just getting the BOS equipped model.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Orbea Rallon. Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel View Post
    Well mine has the Fox setup, NOT the BOS. And it is not a great climber at all. It makes it up fire roads fine, I guess. Up trail, I just feel the 30+ pounds. Alot of spots my hardtail cruises up, the Rallon always needs pushed.

Seriously. Fox vs. Boss is not going to magically make you climb a 29 # bike better. Training, fitness, and skill are.

mtbr member

I'm nor sure the BOS or the Fox shock is going to feel all that different with the climb lockout engaged. More so, even for moderately technical climbs, I don't find the Rallon all that much different than my old Bronson that had a Cane Creek DBAir. I demoed a new Santa Cruz Nomad and its not a magic flying carpet either unlike all of the reviews describe it.

I'd give the Rallon a chance. In the 160mm trailbike category, it's in the top of the heap.
    Last edited by Foxbat; 08-27-2014 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Foxbat,

I've had a chance to ride a BronsonC, and now own the Rallon. IMO the Bronson climbs 5-10 times better than the Rallon. The only area where there is any contest in my mind is the way back down the mountain. Hmmm.. different strokes I guess.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've had several more rides on my Rallon since my earlier posting and I'm convinced I'm climbing better than on my old TRc. This is not a new bike placebo affect. The pedal assist lever on the BOS shock really ramps up the low speed compression. So much so that it's only really useful on long fireroad climbs. I get better traction climbing on rough/loose stuff with the shock open. It's hard to make a direct comparison with another Rallon. So many variables involved….bike sizing, setup, components, etc.

Foxbat,

I've had a chance to ride a BronsonC, and now own the Rallon. IMO the Bronson climbs 5-10 times better than the Rallon. The only area where there is any contest in my mind is the way back down the mountain. Hmmm.. different strokes I guess.

mtbr member
    Just picked up my 2015 Rallon x-team Friday night and was able to get it out for a quick 10 mile shake down ride on my local trails Saturday morning. All I did was set the sag and put all suspension settings to the middle the their range.

A couple of things stood out right away:

1) The geometry is perfect. I immediately felt comfortable on this bike. No need to take time getting used to the feel, it is so well balanced. I was impressed.

2) It is "sneaky" fast. The bike is not the most immediate accelerator, but once up to speed it carries that speed exceptionally well. The bike urges you to go fast and seems to just want to continue to accelerate.

3) Short chainstays are fun! Coming off of a bike with 17.4 inch chainstays, the Rallon feels like a BMX bike by comparison. It is easy to manual and feels playful while remaining unbelievably composed at high speeds.

I will have more to add later once I have been able to spend a bit more time on the bike dialing in the BOS suspension. After just one ride the KIRK shock has already impressed me greatly. One of the better air shocks I have felt, although more time will be needed to really form a strong opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post
    Just picked up my 2015 Rallon x-team Friday night and was able to get it out for a quick 10 mile shake down ride on my local trails Saturday morning. All I did was set the sag and put all suspension settings to the middle the their range.

A couple of things stood out right away:

1) The geometry is perfect. I immediately felt comfortable on this bike. No need to take time getting used to the feel, it is so well balanced. I was impressed.

2) It is "sneaky" fast. The bike is not the most immediate accelerator, but once up to speed it carries that speed exceptionally well. The bike urges you to go fast and seems to just want to continue to accelerate.

3) Short chainstays are fun! Coming off of a bike with 17.4 inch chainstays, the Rallon feels like a BMX bike by comparison. It is easy to manual and feels playful while remaining unbelievably composed at high speeds.

I will have more to add later once I have been able to spend a bit more time on the bike dialing in the BOS suspension. After just one ride the KIRK shock has already impressed me greatly. One of the better air shocks I have felt, although more time will be needed to really form a strong opinion.
    The BOS Kirk is the best air shock I have ever used... enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi, anyone 172cm tall riding a medium size Rallon ?
    If so how does the sizing fit ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-rallon.jpg

I'm 171cm and ride a small...... fit is perfect with a 50mm stem
    Bought just frame / Kirk and custom built. Mix of XX1 and X01, Hope V2 brakes, plus hope headset, BB etc. KS Integra dropper. DT Swiss XM1501 wheels all blinged up with Enve 750 bars.
    I have been riding this now since Spring and I cannot rate it more highly. I would agree with foxbat, 'the Rallon is the sleeper hit of the year'

mtbr member

Still Awesome

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-15169979121_42bbec14aa_k.jpg

Well after a summer of riding including a good bit of local trails, lift assisted riding, and a couple of races, I'm liking the Rallon more and more.

The slack and roomy geometry really works well for steep and technical terrain. I was nervous at first when I ordered the size medium, being 175cm tall, but the cockpit length feels very natural and now I'm not all that interested in riding a shorter bike. Despite it being roomy and quite stable at speed, it doesn't have the unwieldy feeling of a comparably sized large Santa Cruz when the trail levels off.

I would like to try the bike with the BOS Kirk and Deville but any attempt to contact BOS USA or BOS France has been like putting messages in a bottle - hopeless. Anybody have any luck with support? At this point the suspension is good but I can't help but tinker. Maybe I'll have Avalanche custom valve the Float X as a winter project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    I would like to try the bike with the BOS Kirk and Deville but any attempt to contact BOS USA or BOS France has been like putting messages in a bottle - hopeless. Anybody have any luck with support?
    I live three miles from the current UK BOS distributor, yet I have an easier time dealing with Craig getting spares for my Avy gear across the Atlantic than either me or the distributor (that I have shopped with for pushing 20 years) do with BOS.

My Deville is currently broken and I'm putting off sending it back to BOS, because it's likely they will quote 10+ weeks for a repair, I've been there before (two distributors ago no less!). The performance of the BOS stuff I have (a Deville 160 and a Stoy) is fantastic, a match for Avy, but had I known in 2012 how bad the servicing and aftercare is I never would have bought them, as soon as the DVO fork and shock are on the market they're both going on Ebay.

By contrast, Avalanche are great, Craig ships spares, his turnaround times on send away jobs are always good and he's always happy to discuss options with home mechanics like me. I've got an ancient (2005-ish) 5th Element that has been progressively upgraded with versions of the SSD rebuild and it's not far off the BOS shock. I also have a 55 with the Avy cart in it, that's not quite as magic carpet as the Deville is, but it's been easier to live with.

If it weren't for the constant battles with customs when stuff goes for servicing, I would have more Avy stuff on my bikes in a heartbeat. As it is I'm looking at DVO for next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I live three miles from the current UK BOS distributor, yet I have an easier time dealing with Craig getting spares for my Avy gear across the Atlantic than either me or the distributor (that I have shopped with for pushing 20 years) do with BOS.

My Deville is currently broken and I'm putting off sending it back to BOS, because it's likely they will quote 10+ weeks for a repair, I've been there before (two distributors ago no less!). The performance of the BOS stuff I have (a Deville 160 and a Stoy) is fantastic, a match for Avy, but had I known in 2012 how bad the servicing and aftercare is I never would have bought them, as soon as the DVO fork and shock are on the market they're both going on Ebay.

By contrast, Avalanche are great, Craig ships spares, his turnaround times on send away jobs are always good and he's always happy to discuss options with home mechanics like me. I've got an ancient (2005-ish) 5th Element that has been progressively upgraded with versions of the SSD rebuild and it's not far off the BOS shock. I also have a 55 with the Avy cart in it, that's not quite as magic carpet as the Deville is, but it's been easier to live with.

If it weren't for the constant battles with customs when stuff goes for servicing, I would have more Avy stuff on my bikes in a heartbeat. As it is I'm looking at DVO for next year.
    I've been looking at DVO myself. I was talking to a local shop manager whose experience with DVO being very customer centered. He has an Emerald in the shop that was repaired by DVO in a week door-to-door. That is impressive compared to Fox or Rock Shox let alone BOS. Nothing sucks worse than having a shock/fork turned expensive hydraulic paperweight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    I was talking to a local shop manager whose experience with DVO being very customer centered.
    Indeed, I've had good experience with them when they were still with Marzocchi, which is why I'm so interested in their new fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead and see how you're all finding your rallons a fter a good few months of ownership.

I just bought a frame set only (bos kirk model), put a 160mm pike rct3 on, and a few other bits from my previous bike (ibis mojo HD), only had it for a couple of weeks, but this thing really flies down a rough downhill.

Weight is good at a smidge under 30lb with pedals.

Any issues to report? how are people setting up the kirk shock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm still blown away after 4 months on my Rallon. The bike has really made me question the need for carbon frames. At 28lbs, my Rallon weighs 2lbs more than my old carbon 5" bike and just totally outperforms it. The geometry/fit and the suspension performance is awesome. I also have the Kirk shock with a 160mm Pike. I started off with all the shock settings all set in the middle: 12 clicks in for LSC, HSC and rebound.
    I now have just 4 clicks of LSC and maybe 10 clicks of HSC. It smooths out the trail like no other air shock I've tried. I recently upgraded to the Roval Fattie SL carbon wheels with 30mm inner rim width. I run about 24lbs in the rear and 20lbs in the front. The traction is awesome. The bike just feels incredibly well balanced and composed.

I'm now shopping for a shorter travel rig for more XC all-day rides and I want similar geometry.

-----
    Yemi

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead and see how you're all finding your rallons a fter a good few months of ownership.

I just bought a frame set only (bos kirk model), put a 160mm pike rct3 on, and a few other bits from my previous bike (ibis mojo HD), only had it for a couple of weeks, but this thing really flies down a rough downhill.

Weight is good at a smidge under 30lb with pedals.

Any issues to report? how are people setting up the kirk shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi All,

Looking for advice from the owners of this bike. I've been looking to change bike for the past few months & having just sold my 26" Heckler I was adamant that a Rallon X10 (with upgrades) was the bike for me. However, having looked at geometry comparisons I'm worried it maybe too long.

I'm 165cm tall and the SC in medium was perfect as they are quite a tight fit but I'm concerned that even a small Rallon will stretch me out too much? Having had a 2011 Mondraker Foxy before which was far too long for me I dont want to go down the same road again of the reach being too long.

Any words of advice guys - especially from the shorter members of this thread?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 171 on a small with a 50mm stem. I wouldn't want the frame to be any smaller. Orbea's size guide states small starts at 160 up to 175 and medium starts at 170 up to 185. So at 165mm you sit nicely in the middle of the small range of 170 is a medium. You could always use a smaller stem if you want to shorten the reach.

I can't rate the bike highly enough, you won't be disappointed

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon6 View Post
    I'm 171 on a small with a 50mm stem. I wouldn't want the frame to be any smaller. Orbea's size guide states small starts at 160 up to 175 and medium starts at 170 up to 185. So at 165mm you sit nicely in the middle of the small range of 170 is a medium. You could always use a smaller stem if you want to shorten the reach.

I can't rate the bike highly enough, you won't be disappointed
    Thanks for the reply Saxon6,

I'll probably order it with the stock 50mm stem and see how she rides. Could always swap out for a 35mm stem if needs be in the future.

Looking forwards to putting my order in next week. Going with a X10 but with X-team drivetrain, cranks & bars and Shimano XT brakes.

I'll be like a kid at Xmas waiting for it to arrive!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bernik12 View Post
    Hi All,

Looking for advice from the owners of this bike. I've been looking to change bike for the past few months & having just sold my 26" Heckler I was adamant that a Rallon X10 (with upgrades) was the bike for me. However, having looked at geometry comparisons I'm worried it maybe too long.

I'm 165cm tall and the SC in medium was perfect as they are quite a tight fit but I'm concerned that even a small Rallon will stretch me out too much? Having had a 2011 Mondraker Foxy before which was far too long for me I dont want to go down the same road again of the reach being too long.

Any words of advice guys - especially from the shorter members of this thread?

Thanks in advance
    I am 172 with long arms and am on a small with 40mm stem and I am loving it. Recently switched to a handlebar with less sweep and found that I preferred it to the OG race face bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post
    I am 172 with long arms and am on a small with 40mm stem and I am loving it. Recently switched to a handlebar with less sweep and found that I preferred it to the OG race face bars.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've average length arms so a small will be ordered and I'll see how I get on with the 50mm stem.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well, put the order and deposit down 10 days ago and as per the system was told bike would be here Wednesday however there has been an issue and next production run is not until end of April. Shop owner is trying his best to source me a small frame at least but its not looking good.

Any other perspective buyers finding this issue or any hearing about production delays with bikes at the moment. I've been told it could be down to the stronger dollar price and brands delaying productions hoping it will fall and they can maintain the margins based on 2015 prices?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    has anyone with a height around 6'-6'1" tried/owns a size L?, I'm asking for a friend who is interested in one; the other bikes he had were all a tad smaller..for instance, his current xc bike is size M FFS, which is what I would have brought for myself; I think he has warmed to the idea of a long TT and short stem... but, considering the fact that there is no Orbea dealer in our country(thus, buying the bike 'blind') and the fact that the L size has an ST of 19.2 inches..., it would be ok for his height?, that is why I'm interested to know if owners around 6ft have purchased M or L sizes?

cheers guys,
    E.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" tall with a 31" inseam and my size medium Rallon with a 40mm stem did not feel too long even in the slightest. I bought the bike blind as well and all of my fears about it being too large were unfounded. If anything, I like longer bikes now. At 6'-6'1" I wouldn't consider anything smaller than the size large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hello fellows, thanks for nice thread! I would like to ask a question about shops with international shipping, becasue my local shops cant order it for me. Best solution is ordering a frame, because other staff I already have.
    Thank you for any help or advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a large frame x-team and about 6ft, 32 inseam. My lower back is a little strained, not sure if that's the length. I want to switch the standard 65mm stem for a 35mm stem. Does anyone have any experience with changing the stem to a shorter one? I wanted it to feel like a Mondraker since I read how fun it feels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Let's keep this thread alive. I've been riding my Rallon R4 since August and the bike is f**king incredible. One thing though....I've only ever ridden it in the 66.5 degree setting (low). Who's tried the 66 degree (lower) setting? Please share your experience. I'm a little concerned about pedal strikes with 175mm cranks. How much sag are you running on the rear shock?

-----
    Yemi

mtbr member
    I have been riding some time at lower possition and it's an amazing ride too. Maybe, you touch the rocks with the crancks more often when you are pedalling rocky tracks. uphill maintains pretty good attitude and downhill is where you can notice the improvement...
    I use this position mostly when we go to the bikepark and some race. for everyday ride I preffer the LOW possition. It's more balanced for all around use..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have mine in the lowest position, I tried with 175mm cranks but got too many pedal strikes,so switched to 170mm cranks. I still get pedal strikes,but it's just about ok for me,but you have too be careful, if you lean the bike over in a corner and pedal you are likely to bash a pedal.

I do wonder about putting it in the higher setting, but I quite like how it goes in the lowest setting

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I like the idea of going to the 66 degree head angle but I don't like pedal strikes. Perhaps increasing the low speed compression and slightly reducing the sag may help. I have the BOS Kirk shock. The manual recommends 17-21mm of sag.

-----
    Yemi

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I put the bike in the lower/slacker setting and rode some of my favorite Santa Cruz trails this weekend. It rips! The bike still feels pretty balanced overall but it now it really rails the turns and I felt like I charged a bit harder through rougher terrain. The slacker head angle helps when attacking steep descents. I did hit the cranks a few times but I think I'll eventually get more disciplined with my pedal position. The bike feels great in the air too. Climbed around 7000ft total and I didn't suffer too much.

-----
    Yemi

Quote Originally Posted by Yemi View Post
    I like the idea of going to the 66 degree head angle but I don't like pedal strikes. Perhaps increasing the low speed compression and slightly reducing the sag may help. I have the BOS Kirk shock. The manual recommends 17-21mm of sag.

-----
    Yemi

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Can anyone tell me headset standard of the Rallon? I canīt find it anywhere...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Do Orbea supply the bike with a decent stack of spacers on the steerer? I'm going to sell the new forks when i get mine and could do with as long a steerer as possible!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know this is a old thread and all but I found it while looking for info on tall clydes riding the rallon. I'm 6'2" ish with a 33.5" barefoot and actually went to the dealer to talk to him about a occam trail when he started talking about making me a good deal on a rallon demo. Problem I'm having is they stop at L . I started riding a L el mar that was to small then moved to a longer kona taro size large that the top tube length was good on but I still had to run every bit of the seat post out when ever I climbed or was running xc trails (cause I'm giant and out of shape and needed all the leverage on the cranks I could get. I do have a 2014 size large orbea alma 29er that fits me pretty good but it is my understanding that the alma 29er runs pretty big. Anyways I was just wondering if there are any other tall people running this bike as I really love the look of the bike. Haven't test rode one yet since all he had at the time is a medium. I also have long ass monkey arms to. Just picture a very slightly less hairy sasquatch.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm around 6' tall and the medium Rallon fits me great. I think the Large Rallon should work for you. The geometry features a long front end so you should have plenty of room up front.

------
    Yemi

Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    I know this is a old thread and all but I found it while looking for info on tall clydes riding the rallon. I'm 6'2" ish with a 33.5" barefoot and actually went to the dealer to talk to him about a occam trail when he started talking about making me a good deal on a rallon demo. Problem I'm having is they stop at L . I started riding a L el mar that was to small then moved to a longer kona taro size large that the top tube length was good on but I still had to run every bit of the seat post out when ever I climbed or was running xc trails (cause I'm giant and out of shape and needed all the leverage on the cranks I could get. I do have a 2014 size large orbea alma 29er that fits me pretty good but it is my understanding that the alma 29er runs pretty big. Anyways I was just wondering if there are any other tall people running this bike as I really love the look of the bike. Haven't test rode one yet since all he had at the time is a medium. I also have long ass monkey arms to. Just picture a very slightly less hairy sasquatch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That is kind of what I figured I was just mainly concerned with the seat tube length as i do a lot of xc/mup riding with my son. I actually live 10 miles from some good rocky rooty xc trails and then 20 miles from a fairly new bike park with xc flow beginner and intermediate slopstyle, downhill, pump track, and skills park that they are still adding onto also with some other trails with a hours ride. I think slaughter pens in ark is also only 1hr and half away but i haven't made it there yet. So really I got a lot of varied stuff around me ride. Sorry if I'm babbling pain meds make me chatty still getting over surgery I had not long ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm 6.1 and ride a large Rallon with 40mm stem. The seat- and headtube are fairly long for a size L, so no issue here...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The specs show the seat tube length is 455mm on the medium and 495mm on the large. I reckon I have at least a 32" inside leg and I use a 150mm Reverb dropper post on the medium frame.

Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    I'm 6.1 and ride a large Rallon with 40mm stem. The seat- and headtube are fairly long for a size L, so no issue here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Will have to see if he can get a hold of large one for me check out then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sent the shop owner a message last night and it turns out the Rallon that he has that I thought was medium, and didn't check out because of it, is actually large. Guess I am going to go check it out tomorrow. Still getting over umbilical hernia surgery so I can't do a much more then pedal around the parking lot on it though yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So rode it around the lot today not a bad fit. It is a 2014 xteam with the bos suspension. It will run me 2200 plus the credit from my old bike still as all the original parts minus the carbon crank . Will have to play with the suspension some to get it right even with the lockout flipped on the kirk it still bobbed pretty good (keep in mind it doesn't help that I'm built like a grizzly bear getting ready for hibernation). The shop owner admitted I was pretty much on my own with the suspension set up since he was really all that familiar with it (they are mostly a road bike shop). Anyways does it seem like a decent deal. Crossmark wheels full xtr bos suspension reverb dropper atlas bars and stem tubless for that price. It was a demo bike he got from utah for a buddy of mine to try out and it was ridden a fair amount from looking at it lots of chips in the paint but everything worked good on or seemed to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Maybe one more thing for you to check out....

I personally donīt find the rear end to be verry progressive. If I ride it with about 30% sag it tends to bottom out alot when Iīm riding it hard. I weight ~165lbs without gear and after reading you post I assume you are a "little" more than that...

Iīm now down to 25% sag and the traction with the BOS shock is still verry good and the lower sag also helps with the climbing position. I do notice the steeper headangle though and the balance between front and rear feels different. Iīm using a DVO fork btw.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I too find it easy use to all the travel on the bike. I am run 25% and am going to add a volume spacer to the rear shock for some bottom out resistance.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Has anyone considered changing the Deville with the new Lyrik?, I'm thinking, 170mm Lyrik(562mm AC length) versus Deville 160mm(555 AC lenght). Flipping the shock in the lower setting(BB height, originally 338 mm).

Now, from my rougher calculations, flipping the shock in the lower position means 66 HA but 7mm in height from the Lyrik fork will mean another (approx.) 0.3 HA decrease. that would mean, around 65.7 HA. On the same time, the BB will rise a little from the rock striking 338 to a higher 342-343mm, while still being marginally lower than the 345mm the high setting was offering...so, best of both worlds?(170mm instead of 160mm, lower HA but slightly higher BB in order to not get so many pedal strikes); what do you guys think?

As you can tell, I am referring at 2014 and 2015 MY bikes; and I'm asking this because I can get a very good deal on a brand new 2015 model and this could be the first mods on the bike. Especially since there is no official distributor or service for BOS suspension system in my country and I would like to deprive myself of the hassle of sending back and forth the fork.(I would keep the BOS shock though )

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think that a 7mm longer fork would not be such a big deal. You probably wonīt even notice any of the mentioned geometry changes, plus....more travel usually means more sag.

As far as "rock striking" bb hight goes....I personally donīt find that the bb hight feels excessively low in "heels grinding" terms. My last bike was a 2014 Banshee Rune with 170mm Lyrik (26") with a higher static bb-hight, but my heels were on the ground all the time. This doesnīt happen any more since I ride the Rallon. Probably because Iīve to ride less sag than I used to, to prevent it from regularly bottoming out?!

Regarding fork changes...I like the way the Rallon behaves/handles, and from what I hear/read, it is a verry balanced chassis with BOS front and rear. Iīve bought it as a frame set with BOS Kirk and ride it with a DVO Diamond. This setup kinda feels unbalanced in a way that Iīve never felt before. I tent to like my forks to be on the firm side, and the rear more soft with round about 30% sag. Now, Iīve to ride the rear with little more than 20% sag to prevent bottoming and to achive a little more support and fork has to be soft, because I find it to be spiking and Iīm not able to use the travel if I try to get it more firm.
    So now...Iīve a soft front and a firm rear end. Maybe there are people who like it this way, but to me it feels strange somehow, even though I canīt say that it affects the riding much...

Why did I mention this...perhaps itīs true after all, that not every fork suits every frame out of the box?!

mtbr member
    Happy new year!

Enviado desde mi HTC_D820u mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Eugen,

in terms of geometry changes - can't speak to the new Lyrik: I run a 170mm Fox 36 on it, A to C should be 559mm. Bottom bracket in the lower setting. Plus a -1.5 angleset. Works beautifully for me - moreso, for me it made the bike come alive. Didn't like the original head angle on the 2014 model I have very much. Most climbs are fire road, so no problems with 175mm cranks there. On the few trails I get to climb, I have to time the pedal strokes, but even so, it climbs better than the Rune I had before.
    Riding is steep alpine trails..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Proud owner of Orbea rallon 2015 frame there - Currently using it with Monarch rc3 debonair +, not rly satisfied, pumping a lot of pressure into the shock and still bottoming out easily, have been thinking about switching to Cane creek double barrel air but previous owner said its not a good idea, did not say a reason, so heres my question, is this a good idea? Cane creek seems to be a shock that can be tuned to any frame

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if anyone has fittedva double barrel on it. Why don't you gibe a tray to a bos kirk from another rallon that it's tunned for the bike specificaly?

Enviado desde mi LG-H818 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiremux View Post
    Proud owner of Orbea rallon 2015 frame there - Currently using it with Monarch rc3 debonair +, not rly satisfied, pumping a lot of pressure into the shock and still bottoming out easily, have been thinking about switching to Cane creek double barrel air but previous owner said its not a good idea, did not say a reason, so heres my question, is this a good idea? Cane creek seems to be a shock that can be tuned to any frame
    I have a Rallon with the Bos Kirk. The suspension design is very plush and sensitive to small bumps and rocks. The traction and control is excellent. However, I have to use plenty of high speed compression damping to prevent bottoming out. If your Monarch RC3 does not have a high speed compression control, check to see if you can add volume reducers. They will make the shock more resistant to bottom-out without requiring so much air.

How much do you weigh? Bigger or more aggressive riders will often add volume reducers to a shock or a fork.

The Cane Creek DB air should work, assuming it is correct size and stroke for the Rallon. Try adding reducers to your Monarch before you buy another shock.

-----
    Yemi

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    before you try a big can shock make sure it will fit. The shock position on the Rallon is tight. I ride a small frame and couldnt get a Fox X2 to fit without hitting the bottom of the top tube and the front shock mount hit shock to prevent it from using the slack bolt position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    i've got an info from a dude from other region of my country that cane creek wont fit due to its big can.
    got 3 spacers in my monarch, did not make any difference

mtbr member
    Are you sure that you are going to get such improvement over the bos kirk? The x2 and the cane creek are great, but i'm not sure that you would get a lot of improvement...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I think so, my monarch lacks middle and end stroke support, i had an opportunity to try float x and ccdb air shocks, tho on different bikes but both felt a lot better, eventho the ccdb wasnt setup correctly, but the float x felt amazing, it just smoothened everything under the back, giving you just a little bit of the info of whats going on under ur rear wheel, while my monarch chokes after few roots and lets me know about that very harsly

mtbr member
    By the way, i've recently updated my r4 frame😉

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I run a float X with the EVO can on my Rallon.

Set the sag at 25% and adjust the compression to match the trail. No complaints but I don't have a reference to other shocks.

However, I did lend my shock to a guy who had blown up a Bos. His opinion was that the float X was a better shock for the bike. But he might have been bias due to massive number of failure of Bos shocks.

mtbr member
    I'm not saying that they are no better shocks, but that the improvement shouldn't be so big in this bike with a proper functioning bos kirk. of course, everybody is free to spend his money how they like...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    while I like the 'idea' of BOS, I just cant get around their lack of customer service. I emailed them 3x asking about which tune of the new Kirk2 I needed for my Rallon to replace my Fox X Evol... not a single response. I at least get a response from Fox.
    I ended up replacing it with the DHX2 and its proving to be an amazing shock for both my local trails and the bike parks here in CO.
    While its a 2017 X2 its not the climb switch version. At first I was worried about not having it but once the non CS version is dialed you wont need it on the Rallon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-img_20160816_120101_dxo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcephoto View Post
    while I like the 'idea' of BOS, I just cant get around their lack of customer service. I emailed them 3x asking about which tune of the new Kirk2 I needed for my Rallon to replace my Fox X Evol... not a single response. I at least get a response from Fox.
    I ended up replacing it with the DHX2 and its proving to be an amazing shock for both my local trails and the bike parks here in CO.
    While its a 2017 X2 its not the climb switch version. At first I was worried about not having it but once the non CS version is dialed you wont need it on the Rallon.
    Whoa! thats hot shock! How do you manage with no air chamber and no climb switch? Unless you do mainly downhills. Anyway, how does it perform on such a linear frame? I've always wondered how would a coil shock perform on my orbea, got in love with coils after a ride on my friend's DH rig, damn that sensitivity on small bumps...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    well everyone of my rides is about 3000 ft of climbing so I do climb every ride, i'm just not going to beat any climbing records. climbing seated or out of the saddle I dont notice any annoying bob or the feeling I'm loosing power transfer. I always used my float x in full open mode unless I was riding the pavement to the traiheads(trail seems too firm). When the trail turns downward or chunky.. the DHX2 is a complete charger. Its incredibly smooth through rock gardens and technical features.
    so far I love it.. it's pricey but a worthy upgrade

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I better perspective:
    not a single piece of carbon on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-dsc02680_dxo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Doesnt it bottom out too much? I mean the rear shock. Btw. still damn hot

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bottom out as in the harsh "you've smashed through the bumper stop?' I'm sure I'm using all of my travel but its using it properly, Bottoming out (IMO) is when you can feel metal on metal. This is more like, You've used 6.29" of travel like you did with the Float X evol.
    I am also only 145lbs with all my riding gear and pack so I'm a featherweight.
    what works for my weight might not for others.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    bottom out as in the harsh "you've smashed through the bumper stop?' I'm sure I'm using all of my travel but its using it properly, Bottoming out (IMO) is when you can feel metal on metal. This is more like, You've used 6.29" of travel like you did with the Float X evol.
    I am also only 145lbs with all my riding gear and pack so I'm a featherweight.
    what works for my weight might not for others.
    Since we are about the same weight and on the same bike what is your set up in your 36 up front? Pressure, HSC, LSC and volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    believe its 55psi, factory 1 spacer, no idea on hsc/lsc.. but I leave lsc pretty much wide open and hsc has maybe 2 or 3 clicks from full open.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    believe its 55psi, factory 1 spacer, no idea on hsc/lsc.. but I leave lsc pretty much wide open and hsc has maybe 2 or 3 clicks from full open.
    I am 56psi. 11clicks HSC from closed and 15 clicks LSC from closed. No spacers though. I use the HSC to control bottom out.

Sweet set-up on your Rallon they are great bikes. But I have to confess I think I am going to replace mine with an Occam. My wife has an Occam and she has no problems keeping up on the burliest descents and then crushes us all on the climbs. (To be fair she would crush us if we were on XC race bikes)
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Would all brands of rear coil shocks fit the rallon not just the fox? Are there any angled headsets that are available for a tapered steerer tube to slacken the head angle? I have a 2014 rallon and I wanted to slacken the head angle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Works Components Angle Headset

I have a 2014 Rallon and I've been torn between the two geometry settings for a while. 'Low' feels great for all-round trail riding with 66.5 deg head angle. 'Lower' is better for descending but the pedal strikes were killing me with 175mm crank arms. I like what they've done with the 2016 Rallon with slightly slacker head angle. I purchased a 1 deg angle headset from Works Components and tried it out this weekend. Feels perfect in the 'Low' (higher) setting with 65.5 deg head angle without the pedal strikes. I think I did a good job aligning the headset cups - No binding or creaking whatsoever. There is a slight increase in stack height because the upper 44mm cup is now external (EC). No problem for me because I used a couple of spacers with the original Zero Stack head cup.

------
    Yemi

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-anglehead.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Medium or Large...on the fence!

Sorry to resurrect this post but I am currently looking at what bike to buy and have narrowed it down to the Orbea Rallon X10 (2016), NukeProof Mega 275 and the Mondraker Dune.

Sizing is confusing me, currently I have a 20" hardtail and a 58cm road bike, I am 6'0", inside leg measures 33.5" and 13 stone in weight.

On the sizing guide I seem to fall into a grey area that is top end of medium and low end of large.

In regards to the Rallon what size would you recommend? will the medium be more responsive but not as stable downhill and will the large make me stretch out too much and feel like I am trying to steer a tractor?

Any help appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northseasurfer View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this post but I am currently looking at what bike to buy and have narrowed it down to the Orbea Rallon X10 (2016), NukeProof Mega 275 and the Mondraker Dune.

Sizing is confusing me, currently I have a 20" hardtail and a 58cm road bike, I am 6'0", inside leg measures 33.5" and 13 stone in weight.

On the sizing guide I seem to fall into a grey area that is top end of medium and low end of large.

In regards to the Rallon what size would you recommend? will the medium be more responsive but not as stable downhill and will the large make me stretch out too much and feel like I am trying to steer a tractor?

Any help appreciated.
    Hello, Surfer.

I'm 5'11'' and use a large Rallon X30, though I changed the 60mm stem for a 40mm stem. I'm quite happy with the geometry, but I'd strongly recommend that you test ride one if it's possible. Numbers from a specifications sheet might give you an idea, but they're no replacement for a test ride. If none are available, I'd buy the L.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    Hello, Surfer.

I'm 5'11'' and use a large Rallon X30, though I changed the 60mm stem for a 40mm stem. I'm quite happy with the geometry, but I'd strongly recommend that you test ride one if it's possible. Numbers from a specifications sheet might give you an idea, but they're no replacement for a test ride. If none are available, I'd buy the L.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks Renzo,

Thats good to know as an Orbea Dealer 45 miles away has a large demo 2016 Rallon X10 and it is up for sale for the price of the new 2017 X30 so it could possibly be 'the one' :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northseasurfer View Post
    Thanks Renzo,

Thats good to know as an Orbea Dealer 45 miles away has a large demo 2016 Rallon X10 and it is up for sale for the price of the new 2017 X30 so it could possibly be 'the one' :-)
    Awesome! Best of luck with that deal. Sounds like a winner!

mtbr member
    I was too into the grey area. i'm 183 cm tall and I went for the medium. now I've changed to the new frame and continued with the medium size. really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Im about to order ccdb coil cs, i weigh 90kg without gear, may be 95, 97 with all stuff, not sure if 450 or 500 spring would be better to avoid bottom out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    min 500lb.
    I weigh 65kg all kitted up (ya I'm a featherweight) and I run a 350lb spring on my DHX2

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    ordered 500, will see how it goes in about 3 weeks, damn waiting time for
    CC in europe.
    Anyway, to all of u having coil shocks on orbea, did the bike felt a bit less popy after u changed from air? Is it less palyful in any way?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    its still lively as ever but better composed on the rock garden hits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi gforcephoto.

Did you have to modify your frame to fit the DHX2? Can you mount in both the low and lower mount positions?

Better performance with harsh square edge hits? I think I would appreciate more bump sensitivity, especially since I run flat pedals.

------
    Yemi

its still lively as ever but better composed on the rock garden hits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I only run my shock in the low setting. In that setting the frame mount "tab" was hitting the shock body just so slightly. It was fine in the steeper setting but I dont run it that way so I used a exacto blade and shaved the paint where it was causing it to bind and that's it. The DHX2 is the best rear shock I've used(from Avy,Pushed Foxes,RS Vivid air).
    Once you go coil there is no going back to air (IMO)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just got a new to me large 2015 xteam. Been wanting this bike for a couple years now and snagged a good deal on a used one. Going to test it out tomorrow......feels pretty big but geo numbers weren't much different than my large Spider 275. May swap the 70mm stem to a 50mm.....maybe a 35mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Has anyone with the Bos Kirk shock tried adding volume reducing rings? If so, are you happy with the results?

------
    Yemi

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    replacing a Kirk, did you need new mounting hardware for the DHX2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yemi View Post
    Has anyone with the Bos Kirk shock tried adding volume reducing rings? If so, are you happy with the results?

------
    Yemi
    Hi Yemi.

I've a 2014 Kirk on my Rallon. It has 3 volume reducing rings. Now with only one I'm happier, it's more comfortable, stable, and the bike push a lot when you get out of curves. Anyway without any special requirement this simple revision have increase all the shock performances. Thanks to Downhill suspension center . A really good work. I've got a lot of doubts about this shock but now I think it's a really a fantastic product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by qclabrat View Post
    replacing a Kirk, did you need new mounting hardware for the DHX2?
    my Rallon came with a fox X so I had the hardware already. I believe you need a new set of cones for the rear of the shock for non BOS shocks. (BOS used specific ones).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I want to try the rings as well. I am a heavier rider and would like to see if the rings would improve the ride more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone know where to get the lower shock spacers to run an alternate shock than the Kirk? Wanting to try something different but looks like the Kirk is wider at the shaft mounting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Anyone know where to get the lower shock spacers to run an alternate shock than the Kirk? Wanting to try something different but looks like the Kirk is wider at the shaft mounting.
    which shock are you looking to use? I went with a X-Fusion and was also puzzled with the spacers and bushings. If I recall correctly, I just used the stock bushings. Orbea wasn't very useful telling me different things when I called them a few times. Once they told me it was interchangeable and another told me I need the Fox kit. Like I said the stock spacers from X-Fusion eventually worked, it was tight so wasn't sure initially that they were a match

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by qclabrat View Post
    which shock are you looking to use? I went with a X-Fusion and was also puzzled with the spacers and bushings. If I recall correctly, I just used the stock bushings. Orbea wasn't very useful telling me different things when I called them a few times. Once they told me it was interchangeable and another told me I need the Fox kit. Like I said the stock spacers from X-Fusion eventually worked, it was tight so wasn't sure initially that they were a match
    I got lazy and read mis-information. I measured the shock and you are right, any shock should work with the stock setup. Just need to press out the lower eyelet bushing. I am thinking of going with a Manitou McLeod as I had one on a previous bike and it was amazing. My Kirk needs a service and the cost of the McLeod will be very close to what it will cost to rebuild it so I was thinking of giving it a try.

What Xfusion did you go with and how do you like it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Has anyone tried running a 220x70mm bos kirk ? If so any issues and how much travel would it deliver?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I got lazy and read mis-information. I measured the shock and you are right, any shock should work with the stock setup. Just need to press out the lower eyelet bushing. I am thinking of going with a Manitou McLeod as I had one on a previous bike and it was amazing. My Kirk needs a service and the cost of the McLeod will be very close to what it will cost to rebuild it so I was thinking of giving it a try.

What Xfusion did you go with and how do you like it?
    Stage, not so great, wish I had gotten the Vector instead. But frankly, I only ride the bike a few times a month and most of the my trails are better suited for either a 29XC or plus hardtail. Going to give DH a try with the Rallon a try this spring.

Also for anyone who is 5'9" get the medium, I went small, after reading all the reports on the sizing, and find the bike smallish. Have a 80mm stem and seat back all the way. Doesn't feel great and will likely look for something which fits better next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ended up with a Ccdb coil inline and first ride was great. Fit was fine with stock hardware. I was worried about bottoming out but never felt like I did. Climbing was a bit of a compromise as with the Kirk I could climb open but with ccdb with climb switch engaged I lost some traction but with it open it bobbed. Still working with settings as their website has nothing for the 2015 r4 Rallon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I've just tried to fit a bos kirk on my x30 rallon that came with a fox shock and the eyelet is smaller on the bos and it won't fit! Anyone know what my options are ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What is the inside width of the fox? Lower eyelet on Kirk without bushing is 15mm as is the axle on my xteam. I was told the X2 eyelet is 17mm without bushing so maybe Fox is wider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The fox has a 12.7mm eyelet and the bos has a 12mm apparently ! I've found a few options on orbea.com but they don't state the actual sizes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is this for the upper or lower shock eyelet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Lower shock mount

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast