Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS Eccentric

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

NS Eccentric

Anyone know anything about this frame? I love all the numbers on it, and the price isnt too bad. All other NS bikes Ive been around and heard about seem pretty great. I love the 12/142 rear axle.

NS Bikes 2014 - Stay True!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/ns-...ic-902162.html

You can't just reply to a topic you've already started?

Chris.

I want to ride
    This bike has me pretty pumped

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    krzysiekmz, im sorry that I got a little confused and accidentally posted this again. I'm also sorry you had to dig up a older thread and show me. Honest mistake.

pd406, me too. the geo. seems perfect

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes I should not jump out like that too. I am no forum police

Have you considered other options? Like Transition Trans Am, Commencal Meta HT, On-one 45650b ?

Chris.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Chris- yeah, sorry i got a little snarky there. Ive looked into the On-one, I have had a couple on-ones before, but the permanent derailleur hanger scares me and really wanted to try a 12x142 rear axle. I need to give the transition another look, but havent checked the commencal yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well, I done just got my Eccentric in mail. Its just sitting, waiting for my pike and I9's. It's awesome, great welds, solid, beauty too, and the geo looks better than what the numbers tell.

I'll put a pic up later

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    AAAHHH! I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on one (no pun intended) of these but still lusting over the Ragley Blue Pig.....

Any chance to get a pic tonight?

Thanks!
    reachcontrol.wordpress.com
    Bikes, brewing, crass curmudgeon
    "The Reality of the Situation has reached Control"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Name:  photo (6).JPG
Views: 8920
Size:  42.5 KBName:  photo 1 (1).JPG
Views: 9955
Size:  37.3 KBName:  photo 2 (1).JPG
Views: 9056
Size:  32.7 KB

Don't you love the pretty flowers couch.

Here it is, I was gonna strip the paint and do some single matte color, but I like it a lot more than I thought (nice paint job). It's nice man, pull the trigger.

Oh, I had to show off the new crosstrek I got for my wife. Probably, use it a lot more for bike transportation than I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

twinsdad
    Oct 2009
    I just ordered one on Thursday....Going to put an X-Fusion Sweep on it at 160 (for starters)....And Flows with Hope Hubs running 1x10....It's going to be a slowish build....Probably take a month or 2 to gather the parts...I can post pics of the build if anyone cares to see them.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Finally my first ride was yesterday. Rode my usual local trail, and I loved this bike. So playful, and climbs pretty dang good.

-Put a 150 solo pike on it
    -I9's torch wheelset (staying local to my NC blood)
    -Old Charge Spoon seat, I have had on every bike since ive found the best seat ever for 26 bucks
    -Random bits of newish parts from other bikes I have recently sold. 1X10 setup.
    -Came in at just over 26 lbs. Was shooting for under 27.5 lbs becuase I didnt go too light weight other than the wheels.

Here's a quick pic right before I took it to my mechanic to finish some fine tuning. Then i hit the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS Eccentric-image.jpg  

twinsdad
    Oct 2009
    Very Nice!! Did you ride in Pisgah?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ve ridden there plenty of times. Also I went to school at Appstate which is basically Pisgah but now live in the middle of the state, no real terrain, but still has some good gems.

Pisgah is amazing, you in that area? My co-worker and I are trying to get there in the next couple weeks.

twinsdad
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti_mcshreddy View Post
    I ve ridden there plenty of times. Also I went to school at Appstate which is basically Pisgah but now live in the middle of the state, no real terrain, but still has some good gems.

Pisgah is amazing, you in that area? My co-worker and I are trying to get there in the next couple weeks.

I'm actually outside of Charlotte....Lived in Boone for quite a few years and ride Pisgah when I get the chance...Also have ridden Wilson's Creek a bit which was probably your stomping grounds when you lived in Boone.....Now I ride all around Charlotte and Uwharrie mostly with the occasional trip to Pisgah Proper and Wislon's....

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What size wheels have you got on it? Was thinking of building one of these up with 26". How does it ride??

mtbr member
    NS Eccentric-14527385271_8b83f9e5f7_k.jpg

I just took her on her maiden voyage out at Sandy Ridge. The Eccentric feels more like an agile and aggressive DJ bike that you can pedal up hill than a tame XC sled. A flow trail slayer. I'm really impressed.

twinsdad
    Oct 2009

Eccentric

What do you have your front fork set at? I've got a 160 on mine and I'm wondering if is going to wander a lot on the climbs? I finished it yesterday but haven't had it on the trail yet....Here's Mine:

NS Eccentric-rsz_1ns_eccentric_002.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhenry View Post
    What do you have your front fork set at? I've got a 160 on mine and I'm wondering if is going to wander a lot on the climbs?
    I have 150mm Fox 34 and it didn't feel like it wanted to wander. You will probably be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi all Ns owner
    I will order one eccentric frame today and I'm not sure witch framesize i gona take :/:/
    M or L ? With RS PIKE 150-160 fork.
    I'm 182cm long and my legs is araund 80cm long.

What size do YOU use and the rider size in cm please ??

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appel82 View Post
    Hi all Ns owner
    I will order one eccentric frame today and I'm not sure witch framesize i gona take :/:/
    M or L ? With RS PIKE 150-160 fork.
    I'm 182cm long and my legs is araund 80cm long.

What size do YOU use and the rider size in cm please ??

Thanks !
    I'm 175cm tall with an 79cm inseam and I picked a medium. Running a longer travel fork like the Pike, you shorten the reach a bit so a large might be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi everyone. I have just ordered a NS eccentric. Im going to build it using 1 x 9, Rock shock reverb, Fox 36 and hope parts. I broke my Nukeproof AM 26'' and I can't afford to change all the other parts to 27,5 (It is the only sizing frame there is for my height) at the same time that the frame so after been using my XC hardtail, I decided to build an enduro hardtail. I will show some pictures when it will be ready.
    Last edited by _oky_; 08-01-2014 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey fellow NS Eccentric Riders!,

I ordered up an Eccentric in size SM this past friday.

Admittedly, I went into this purchase a little sideways. A few months ago I purchased a blowout 2013 Fox 34 Talas 27.5" 150 CTD-Remote 1.5 tapered 150mm fork (that's a mouthful!). Just before Christmas last year, my present to myself was a greatly discounted 30.9 mm Thomson dropper post. Because I was able to obtain these two key components at a great price, I wanted to bolt them to an equally inexpensive hard tail frame to keep the build cost down. I looked hard at the On One 45650b but having previously ridden a 456, I did not like the dead feel, the weight, and the geometry. Plus, I was not keen on the non-removable derailleur hanger, the 10x135mm rear and have read stories or rear end alignment and head tube ovalization issues on the 45650b. I liked the weight and the geometry on the Transition Transam 27.5, but not the price...

I came across the Eccentric in my Google searches a couple of months ago and liked the similar geometry to the the Transam but with an even shorter chain stay length (420mm vs. 426mm) and even longer effective top tube. It was just difficult to locate the frame in the US on sale...until last week, when I found one for almost 30% off MSRP.

It looks to be a great frame for the trails around here in Northern California where you have to climb to earn your downhills, and the downhills can be pretty technical. Should also suffice for playing in the pump track as well.

Also found a 34.9 mm DKG seat post clamp in my bike parts stash that should fit. I am likely going 1 x 9 or 2 x 9 it but haven't decided yet-depends on what I find in the parts bin. I'll post more pics when the frame arrives as I do not think anyone has displayed shots of a size SM yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi dudes, just started to put together a NS Eccentric with Zee 1x10 drivetrain. I am wondering what kind of headset's you guys are using and how long the steerer tubes on the forks are?

I am 182cm and got a L size frame.
    NS Eccentric-small.jpg

The Crow
    Thinking this will be my next frame. Any ride reviews out there?
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
    Thinking this will be my next frame. Any ride reviews out there?
    NS Bikes Eccentric review - BikeRadar

Viewer | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi again, I'm waiting my Reverb and my Raceface 32 wide narrow. When I finish building it up I will show you some pictures. The bike looks nice with a Fox 36 van.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    this is mine.NS Eccentric-nsburri.jpg

frame: NS eccentric "L size"
    wheels: mavic xm 719 rims with hope pro evo II hubs.
    Handlebar: Nukeproof warhead
    Stem: Thomson 4X 70mm.
    Headset: Nukeproof 44IESS
    Seatpost: RS Reverb
    Fork: Fox van 36
    Rear derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Brakes: Shimano deore (change pending to Shimano XT)
    Chainring: Race Face narrow wide 32 T
    ring guard: Raceface.
    Saddle: SDG Bel air
    Crankset: Shimano XT.
    Front tire: Maxxis Minion 2.50.
    Rear tire: Maxxis Highroller 2.35.

mtbr member
    oky,

That looks nice. With the Fox Van 36, I'll bet she can handle just about anything you throw at her...

I like the idea of putting a nice fat 2.5 tire up front.

mtbr member

Got my sz SM frame

Brown Santa delivered my frame yesterday. The box was compact and light-a good sign for a frame.
    NS Eccentric-box.jpg
    Unboxed it and everything looked good-a little scuff on the corner of the head tube, but I can live with it. I had to fish for the accessories pack containing the alternative dropout, the rear through axle, etc. It was amongst all the packaging. I was going to apply framesaver to the inside of the frame, but it looks like it already has an internal coating applied to the steel to protect against corrosion so I just skipped it. I'll apply some helicopter tape to the outside before I build her up.
    NS Eccentric-unbox.jpg
    Added the Fox Talas 34 fork, the Thomson dropper seatpost, DKG seatpost clamp and WTB Shadow V saddle. I think I have some Niner handlebars, a White Industries Eno crank with a 30 tooth chainring and some Avid X7 brakes that I am going to install. They all happen to be on other bikes at present...
    NS Eccentric-mock-up.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Been scoping this frame as the next build and was curious on the sizing.

Anyone gotten a small? I'm in the 5'8" range w/ 30" inseam - both my other rigs are (M) size, but there seem to be deals out there on the smaller frames & I was thinking it may be a little more playful. Didn't know how much difference 1.5" would make.

Also, for folks that have these, do y'all think the frame could accept the 26 x 2.75" Surly Dirt Wizards or the 26 X 3" nards?

Thanks sharing the stoke on the NS!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroJangles View Post

Anyone gotten a small? I'm in the 5'8" range w/ 30" inseam - both my other rigs are (M) size, but there seem to be deals out there on the smaller frames & I was thinking it may be a little more playful. Didn't know how much difference 1.5" would make.

Also, for folks that have these, do y'all think the frame could accept the 26 x 2.75" Surly Dirt Wizards or the 26 X 3" nards?

I'm 5'10" and the medium is just a hair small. For reference, my Orbea Rallon is a size medium (17.4" reach) and it fits perfectly. At 5'8" I think the Eccentric in size medium is probably just right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would like to share this pic with the eccentric in Malaga 2 weeks ago. It is not my hometown but it is near it. It's nice to climb from 0 meter from the sea level just at the beach to nearby 1000 m at the top. The downhill is sick and tired, but gnarly fun. Of course drinking a beer after that at the promenade is very grateful.

NS Eccentric-10408119_691045424297201_1305919537425358284_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BroJangles View Post

I'm 5'10" and ride a M. But I could easily ride a L. I Like my frames a on the smaller sider whenever possible. I think a S would fit you well. I know 26" wheels would be fine, but those tires might be bit wide, especially the nards. I'll have to measure before I head out for my ride today. But, then again, putting 26 on the rear will give you a little more space between the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Can somebody post a good sideshot of a complete Eccentric in Large? A bit like OKY's pic, but more of a sideshot. I just want to see the profile of the bike (size large) once fully built.

Thanks guys and keep on posting pictures/reviews of the bike!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14527385271_8b83f9e5f7_k.jpg 
Views:	12130 
Size:	328.0 KB 
ID:	904485

I just took her on her maiden voyage out at Sandy Ridge. The Eccentric feels more like an agile and aggressive DJ bike that you can pedal up hill than a tame XC sled. A flow trail slayer. I'm really impressed.
    Loving the color of your NS. Mine is stock B&W, but was thinking I wanted to try some matte single color on the frame. What process did you go about painting yours?

mtbr member
    There is a powdercoat shop here in Portland that has a history in painting bikes that stripped and painted my frame. It wasn't expensive and took about a week. Any large metro area seems to have powercoat businesses to support the demand of industrial and automotive customers. I'd try to look them up and see if they could paint your frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Can somebody post a good sideshot of a complete Eccentric in Large? A bit like OKY's pic, but more of a sideshot. I just want to see the profile of the bike (size large) once fully built.

Thanks guys and keep on posting pictures/reviews of the bike!!
    Hi mate here's a photo of mine, not quite finished but its a size large with 26in wheels that will end up as a single speed
    NS Eccentric-nsecc.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS220 View Post
    Hi mate here's a photo of mine, not quite finished but its a size large with 26in wheels that will end up as a single speed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NSEcc.jpg 
Views:	1984 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	921828
    Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to see!

mtbr member

Finally got her built up...

And managed to get a few rides in. The bike is everything I expected, with a few surprises. Very few negatives.

Positives

Playful as hell. This is definitely not your traditional XC hard tail frame. The short rear stays make this a very "poppy" ride. Very nice to get into a good cadence on climbs and very snappy over any obstacle or undulation o the trail

The frame is surprisingly light for a 4130 steel rig. It really does dampen a lot of the trail vibrations.

Negatives

Not a lot of room in the rear with a WTB Vigilante 2.3 tire. Bear in mind that these are true to size 2.3" tires, probably akin to many other manufacturer's 2.35" tires that NS states will fit the frame on their website's geometry page. I have not removed the rear wheel yet, but I can only imagine I have a number of nice scratches in the paint from small rocks dragged against the seat stays and the chain stays by the knobbiest in the tires. However, I LOVE these tires put up with the wear and tear because they provide such good grip, especially on the sidewalls. Truly confidence inspiring.

General Observations

A couple folks had noted that there were some pretty good deals on sz. SM frames for a time. They asked both here in this forum and personally if I thought that a rider that normally rides a MD sized bike might be able to downsize to a SM. At this time my answer is an unequivocal "No".

I am 5'4". I threw on NS's own Quantum 45mm stem and a Niner 780mm width bar. I wouldn't go much longer than this length stem on the sz SM frame, or you might start sacrificing the Eccentric's playful nature. That being said, the length fits me like a glove. You may be able to stretch it out a bit with a setback post (I am using a Thomson dropper with no setback and the saddle perfectly centered)

As stated in an earlier post, this bike was built around a 2013 150mm Fox Talas CTD with remote and a Thomson Dropper post with remote that I obtained cheaply. My initial thought regarding the remote on these two components was that the mechanisms were overly complex and didn't quite fit with the simplicity of a hardtail. I figured that I would get a dropper lever for the post and a CTD adjustment for the top for the top of the fork leg. After living with both for a few rides, however, I do admit that they do come in handy. You do not have to remove your mitts from the controls to make adjustments, even if the number of doohickies clamped to the bars makes it start to look a little like the cockpit of an F-16.

Although I am sure that the bike would be quite rideable with a non Talas fork. the ability to wind down the travel makes extended climbs all the more enjoyable and the bike that much more versatile.

Some reviews of the full factory build of the bike have complained about bike's tall front end, exacerbated by the high stack height of the headset, the fork's axle to crown height and the rise on the handlebars.

The Cane Creek 40 headset, the NS bikes no rise stem and the Niner flat bar have obviated any such issues on my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS Eccentric-img_0004.jpg  

NS Eccentric-img_0005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Bike looks LEGIT! Thanks for posting the photos and the beta. I've had the pleasure of rallying a S for a few good experiences and...

Personally still battling the size game, I mean it definitely feels a bit smaller than I am used to, but that's b/c all I ride otherwise is a M pugsley - this is WAY more playful. I had to mess with the cockpit and seat a bit, but I've found a happy medium. Jumping though does throw the hands high. I'm trying to actualize how .8" in wheelbase and .5" in top tube length with make a HUGE difference, but maybe that's just inexperience speaking.

Now Chain Reaction has the frames on sale so it may make my plight easier. But given the opportunity to stick with this rig I'm tempted to make a go of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Finally!

Well here is mine.

Frame: NS eccentric "L size"
    Wheels: mavic 321 rims (26in) with x9 hubs.
    Handlebar: Raceface Atlas
    Stem: Easton 85mm.
    Headset: Nukeproof
    Seatpost: Parts bin seatpost (dropper coming in the near future)
    Fork: Fox Float 32 150mm
    Brakes: Shimano deore
    Chainring: Blackspire narrow wide 32 T
    Saddle: Parts bin (will swap for specialized phenom eventually)
    Crankset: Shimano Deore
    Front tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    Rear tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35

1st Ride report. 1 word - GREAT. Bike felt just right straight away. It has a nice feel to it, like it wants to be ridden all day. Happy cruising and even happier flat out. Also this bike likes to jump! It feels very comfortable in the air. For sizing I am 188cm tall. The large feels good with the "long" stem. Originally I set it up with a 70mm stem and 720wide bars, but it just didn't feel right, felt too short for me, but after switching to the longer stem and some 760 wide bars it feels just right. Like I have been riding it for years.
    If you're thinking about getting one just do it! Especially with the prices at CRC at the moment!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS Eccentric-new-bike-day.jpg  

mtbr member
    It looks like I am joining the group here too, as I just ordered my frame from Chain Reaction. The deal was is pretty good with an extra 10 percent off the all ready lowered price. I have an idea in my head of how I'm going to put it together, but I'll see what the budget will allow for. Since this is going to be my winter bike, I may strip my Norco Killer Bee down, and use some of the parts to get it going for now, and upgrade it later. Anyway, keep posting ride impressions as you guys get more time on them, it might motivate me to get mine going faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cheers from Spain .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS Eccentric-kdd-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Support on the FUN factor with this bike! Curious to know if folks have wrapped their minds around this offering for the 2015 season:

NS Eccentric Alu - Aluminium 650b Hardtail - 2015 | NS Bikes 650B (27.5) Mountain Bikes from 1,700 at Damian Harris Bikes, Cardiff | UK bike shop

Not sure if I'm fully subscribed yet, but thought it was worth a look.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Finely finished my build this week,and took it on its first ride today. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the way this thing handled. I bought this as a winter bike that would have similar geometry to my FS bike. After today's ride, I am not in a hurry to ride my FS. Even though they have similar geo, the Eccentric just had that something different that made it fun. Anyway, I'll post my build specs, and can't wait to ride it again!

- Frame: NS Bikes Eccentric
    - Fork: Rock Shox Pike RTC3 Solo Air 150mm travel
    - Headset:Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44/40 Conversion
    - Stem:Spank Industries Oozy Stem 50mm
    - Handlebar: Spank Industries Oozy Bar 740mm
    - Grips: Easton Lock-On 33mm
    - Brakes: Shimano XT 160mm rear / 180mm front
    - Shifters: Shimano XT
    - Derailleur: Shimano XT with Oneup Rad Cage
    - Crank: Shimano SLX with Oneup 30 tooth narrow wide chainring
    - Chain: KMC X10.93 10-Speed
    - Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36 with Oneup 42 tooth
    - Wheelset: Sun Ringle Charger Pro
    - Tires: Continental Trail King ProTection 27.5 2.4(set up tubeless)
    - Seatpost:Thomson Elite Dropper 30.9 x 400mm
    - Saddle:Prologo Scratch X14
    - Pedals: Shimano PD-M785 XT Trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS Eccentric-003b.jpg  

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 11-22-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Snail. A fast one.

Three eccentric incarnations

I have loved the idea of smaller rear/bigger front wheel since 2003's Specialized BigHit. So, as soon as I got the Eccentric frame, I thought it would be a crime not to try different wheels on it.
    You can see how far has it gone below:

NS Eccentric-69.jpg
    69er singlespeed. Ultimate urban and smooth trails machine - it handles like nothing else

NS Eccentric-67.jpg
    26/27.5 geared bike - versatile playful thing

NS Eccentric-79.jpg
    27.5/29 with 140mm fork - less agile but super fast "flatout" machine

I liked the last build better, but the other two are whole lot of fun too.
    It's currently waiting to be converted to 27.5/29 singlespeed. Unfortunately, it's not possible without a chain tensioner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    NS Eccentric-20150211_150810.jpg

Here is my build. Finally got to take it out on its first ride today

2014 NS Eccentric Large
    2015 Fox Float 34 CTD
    SixC Crankset (non-cinch version)
    Formula RX Brakes on Avid rotors
    Shimano XT 10 spd shifter, cassette, derailleur, and chain
    Specialized Roval Transverse Wheels with specialized hi-lo hubs
    Easton Havoc Bars
    Easton grips
    SDG micro-ibeam seat post with SDG seat
    Schwalbe nobby nic front (new version) 27.5
    Shwalbe racing ralph rear 27.5

Can't say too much about how it rides, but so far I really like it. Its my first 27.5 so thats probably the biggest difference. And the fork feels amazing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does anyone have the aluminum version of this bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Does anyone have the aluminum version of this bike?
    Yup, have one, built it this week

NS Eccentric-ns-ec.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Finished building this Chromo frame a few days ago and took it for its first ride on the weekend. I built this up as a second bike to accompany my longer travel dually and it really is an eye opener to how far hardtails have come. I think the cable routing could be better, an extra set of tabs in the middle of the underside of the top tube would be nice, but that is a minor complaint.

2015 Medium frame (Black)
    2015 140mm Fox 34
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    27.5 Tune King/Kong, Flow EX wheel set
    2.4 TR EXO Ardent front and rear
    Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes, 180/160 shimano rotors
    XT/Zee drivetrain
    Raceface Evolve crankset, 32t chainring and raceface bash guard
    60mm Thomson X4 stem, 720mm Easton EC70 bars
    Thomson Elite seatpost, SDG ti-fly saddle

Weight is about 12.6kg / 27.7lbs

OHV Gansta
    Thats nice... Just pulled the trigger on one of these black chromo's... It'll replace my 160mm dually.... 34 fork on it with XT 11spd ... shimano brakes raceface cranks, dt swiss 1501 wheelset all off my dually... will get a pic up when it's built (y)
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sizing Question

Quote Originally Posted by Haylex View Post
    Finished building this Chromo frame a few days ago and took it for its first ride on the weekend. I built this up as a second bike to accompany my longer travel dually and it really is an eye opener to how far hardtails have come. I think the cable routing could be better, an extra set of tabs in the middle of the underside of the top tube would be nice, but that is a minor complaint.

2015 Medium frame (Black)
    2015 140mm Fox 34
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes, 180/160 shimano rotors
    XT/Zee drivetrain
    Raceface Evolve crankset, 32t chainring and raceface bash guard
    60mm Thomson X4 stem, 720mm Easton EC70 bars
    Thomson Elite seatpost, SDG ti-fly saddle

Weight is about 12.6kg / 27.7lbs

How Tall are you? What is your inseam? How do you like the fit?

I am right at the edge of the sizing for medium and debating if I should suck it up and go for the longer top tube...

Thanks!

OHV Gansta
    Almost done ... Just waiting on the fork..should arrive hopefully 2moro..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Get out and ride

OHV Gansta
    All done...
    Shimano xt 11spd
    Raceface turbine cranks 30t NW ring
    Dt swiss xm1501 wheelset
    Maxxis minion dhf dhr tubeless
    Shimano SLX brakes 203 front 180 rear ice tech xt rotors with metal pads
    2015 140mm Fox factory series 34 CTD fork
    Pro shimano 70mm stem
    Pro shimano seat post (dropper on back order)
    Jerome clements carbon bar 750mm
    Time dh4 pedals.
    Hope headset and seatpost clamp
    Used a 3m stick on cable guide for middle of tube tube area to tidy routing up....

12.3kg

Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    just finished mine

- Frame: NS Bikes Eccentric small
    - Fork: X-fusion sweep RL2 130mm travel
    - Headset: Hope
    - Stem: Funnduro 45mm
    - Handlebar: Exotic cycles carbon 750 bar
    - Grips: Kcnc eva foam
    - Brakes: Shimano SLX 160mm rear / 180mm front
    - Shifters: Shimano XT
    - Derailleur: Shimano XT
    - Crank: Shimano XT with 32T NW chainring
    - Chain: KMC X10sl
    - Cassette: Shimano SLX 11-36 with 40T cog
    - Wheelset: ZTR Arch EX 27.5
    - Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front,Maxxis Ikon 2.20 rear
    - Seatpost: Rockshox reverb stealth 125mm
    - Saddle: Nukeproof plasma
    - Pedals: Shimano PD-M540

Weight: 11.9KG

NS Eccentric-2015-08-01-09.48.39.jpg

OHV Gansta
    Nice build mate... Good weight hey for a hardcore steel hardtail... What do you think of how it rides?

Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfwax View Post
    How Tall are you? What is your inseam? How do you like the fit?

I am right at the edge of the sizing for medium and debating if I should suck it up and go for the longer top tube...

Thanks!
    I am 178cm (5'10) and the fit feels about right with the 60mm stem - I wouldnt want to go any shorter. I basically sized it up to match the length of my medium sb66 with a 50mm stem which I am very comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GazaTron View Post
    All done...
    Nice build! Stick on cable guide sounds like a good idea, I just put a zip tie around the top tube

OHV Gansta
    Nice build! Stick on cable guide sounds like a good idea, I just put a zip tie around the top tube
    Yeah picked up a set of 3m ones from chain reaction

Get out and ride

Rocks belong
    How's the fit/clearance of the 2.4 Ardent on a Flow EX in the rear?

Tightest around the knobs or the casing?

I've got some WTB Asym i35 650b rims and a 2.4 Ardent (or 2.35 Bontrager XR4) but I'm not sure if that much rim and that much tire volume would fit on the back of an NS Eccentric CrMo?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rocks belong
    Could someone please measure the chainstay clearance where their tire's knobs are the widest? Hoping its at least 72mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So close to pulling the trigger on an Eccentric

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    How's the fit/clearance of the 2.4 Ardent on a Flow EX in the rear?

Tightest around the knobs or the casing?

I've got some WTB Asym i35 650b rims and a 2.4 Ardent (or 2.35 Bontrager XR4) but I'm not sure if that much rim and that much tire volume would fit on the back of an NS Eccentric CrMo?
    Id describe the clearance as adequate. The casing isnt a problem, you would only run into issues with the knob shapes. The bridge on the seatstays follows the profile of a 2.4 ardent nicely actually, and the bridge on the chainstays is flat. The closest part of the tyre to any part of the frame is in the middle of the bridge on the chainstay - id say about 5mm.

I reckon to make the most of an AM HT you need to run big volume tyres at low pressures on wide rims, so I just stuffed the biggest setup I could on it.

Might not be the best in mud, but I have no marks on the frame from any tyre rub at all.

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    So close to pulling the trigger on an Eccentric
    Now's the time, we currently have all NS frames on sale!
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Rocks belong
    Id describe the clearance as adequate. The casing isnt a problem, you would only run into issues with the knob shapes. The bridge on the seatstays follows the profile of a 2.4 ardent nicely actually, and the bridge on the chainstays is flat. The closest part of the tyre to any part of the frame is in the middle of the bridge on the chainstay - id say about 5mm.

I reckon to make the most of an AM HT you need to run big volume tyres at low pressures on wide rims, so I just stuffed the biggest setup I could on it.

Might not be the best in mud, but I have no marks on the frame from any tyre rub at all.
    Thank you very much for posting this!

Subjective question:

Is the NS Eccentric as smooth/comfortable as BikeRader makes it sound? Does the Tange 4130 frame really have that much compliance?

I guess I'm asking, is it really compliant? Or just 'not harsh'?

(My last few AL hardtails were harsh. It's been so long since I rode a nice steel HT, that I can't remember the ride.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No worries.

First ride I could definitely tell that the frame 'mutes' the trail chatter. I think I have gotten used to it and now it feels just like a hardtail again to me, but if I were to jump back onto an alloy frame I guarantee I could tell the difference.

Rocks belong
    No worries.

First ride I could definitely tell that the frame 'mutes' the trail chatter. I think I have gotten used to it and now it feels just like a hardtail again to me, but if I were to jump back onto an alloy frame I guarantee I could tell the difference.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Haylex again.

OHV Gansta
    I can deff vouch for the frames compliance... Its my first steel frame... While it still beats the shit out of you when seated just like any other hard tail ....it seems to take the sting out of the small bumpy chattery type trails

Get out and ride

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    Now's the time, we currently have all NS frames on sale!
    Hi. Thanks for the PM. You never responded to my PM response, nor my emailed response

Uncle
    Nevermind - found the answer.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

Rocks belong
    Nm.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 11-14-2015 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This bike does ROCK!!!

I got one last fall, after solely riding a steel fat bike for everything. The steel they use in this is quite nice, good feedback and dare I say, velvety feel on trail. Its super responsive, fun and can charge pretty much everything.

The only area that I've had some issues with is how high the front end is, e.g. when you hit the air, it feels like you're hands are shooting towards the sky, you gotta keep it in check. Probably some technique in there as well.

But, yeah, they do a stellar job with the frame compliance and the geo is super fun. Paint is a little thin, but meh, its a bike right?

banned
    Sep 2015
    Name:  photo (6).JPG
Views: 8920
Size:  42.5 KBName:  photo 1 (1).JPG
Views: 9955
Size:  37.3 KBName:  photo 2 (1).JPG
Views: 9056
Size:  32.7 KB

Don't you love the pretty flowers couch.

Here it is, I was gonna strip the paint and do some single matte color, but I like it a lot more than I thought (nice paint job). It's nice man, pull the trigger.

Oh, I had to show off the new crosstrek I got for my wife. Probably, use it a lot more for bike transportation than I think.
    Hard tail...Seems to be movement is not enough

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Just finished my build

Small CroMo Frame
    150mm Pikes
    1x10 XTR w/ OneUp 42t and Rad Cage
    XT Disc 160mm TRP rotors
    Rotor 175mm Cranks with Absolute Black 32t Oval.
    Renthal FatBar Lite Carbon, Raceface turbine 70mm stem
    Thomson Seatpost, Specialized Romin Saddle Ti Rails Hope QR Binder.
    Sunn Inferno 25 rims, DT 350 Hubs
    Ardent race rear tyre Nobby Nic front.
    11.9kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How tall are you? I want to pull thout trigger on one now that they are on sale on CRC. I am 5'7" and leaning towards I medium. I tend towards longer than shorter

Other bike is a medium knolly endorphin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah man!

I would support your decision on the Medium! I've had both a SM & a MD because I was right on the cusp size wise, but going bigger made all the difference. Its a sweet frame and CRC makes good deals ;-)

Cheers

Rocks belong
    Wow. $350 for a light steel frame. Love the blue/white. Definitely hard to pass up (If I hadn't just built my Surly Instigator 2.0).

The Eccentric frame is almost 1lb lighter than my Surly's frame!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine is now ordered , dam that's a great price

Rocks belong
    Mine is now ordered , dam that's a great price
    I have a Surly Instigator 2.0 with 2 rides on it in my garage.... and I keep finding myself looking at the blue/white Eccentric Cromo frame for $350!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I originally had my eye on the surge evo before the eccentric. Does anyone have any input on that frame? I am looking for a do it all type of hardtail...trails, gravel road, pump track, maybe dirt jump, mostly trails though.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The 2016 is longer, lower, slacker, and has a proper tapered HT. Looks pretty good.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What headset do I need for this thing ? Thinking I need a Cane Creek ZS44 upper and EC44 lower. The fork I ordered is an X fusion sweep , do I need a crown race for this fork ?

First time building a bike from the ground up.

mtbr member
    What headset do I need for this thing ? Thinking I need a Cane Creek ZS44 upper and EC44 lower. The fork I ordered is an X fusion sweep , do I need a crown race for this fork ?

First time building a bike from the ground up.
    I just bought the whole Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44/40 Conversion Headset. It comes with the crown race that should work.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=61649

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So, changing it up a little bit. I have moved all my parts to a full sus Devinci that I got for a amazing price. So, I now have just the frame and some drivetrain stuff. Thinking about making the NS a rigid 1x10. Whatcha ya'll think? Crazy? or Crazy awesome?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @yeti_mcshreddy
    Hex yah dude! Do it!! I had a 1x10 set up on my Eccentric & it was the chachones. Really dug the simplicity & bomber-ness of it all so... Stoke on & get u some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What fork would you use?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    What fork would you use?
    Not sure yet. Maybe the Surly Krampus fork. Not many 650b rigid forks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure yet. Maybe the Surly Krampus fork. Not many 650b rigid forks
    I was also planning to go rigid on my build. Many 29er forks have same a-c as a 140mm sagged 650b suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Slowly getting finished , just need a new bash , and derailer to finish it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS Eccentric-image.jpeg  

Rocks belong
    Love the blue/white

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    My Eccentric Alu frame

NS Eccentric-ns-eccentric-10.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I put my down payment on the 2016 frame in green. Some of the updates they made to the frame rationalized waiting for the new model. My build will be along these lines:

Frame: 2016, Green, Medium
    Fork: MRP Stage
    Wheelset: Arch ex laced to BHS hubs
    Brakes: Shimano XT (black)
    Tires: minion dhf 2.3 up front, undecided on rear either ardent or DHRII
    Crankset: RaceFace Aeffect, 170mm, 32t
    Cassette: 11x36
    Shifting: Saint shifter to Zee RD
    Reverb dropper
    35-50mm stem with 730ish bars.

Those are the same tires I run on my endorphin, I am open to suggestions to potentially lighten them up a bit. Anything in the 650g range as opposed to 800g that offers similar performance?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Very nice, the 16 has better geometry IMO. Not sure about lighter tires, what you have is about as light as I go these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Waiting on 2 fittings to shorten the brake lines and I can ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The 2016 is longer, lower, slacker, and has a proper tapered HT. Looks pretty good.
    Unless im missing something, the geo numbers look the same to me? the only difference I can see is the change from a 44mm HT to integrated tapered (which will steepen the front end if anything due to the lower stack height

Going off the numbers on the ns site NS Bikes - Eccentric Cromo - All mountain / Trail

I dig the green, looks nice

edit - just saw that the geo specs for the complete bike are different to the frame only, i guess they haven't updated the frame only table yet.

NS Bikes - Eccentric Cromo - All mountain / Trail

Changes sound good!
    Last edited by Haylex; 01-14-2016 at 03:39 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yes it looks good, I very nearly picked it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Work and catching a nasty head cold, I finally get to take mine out for its madden voyage tomorrow.

Still need to figure out what seat to install. The one on it is still a temp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have been rocking a Charge Spoon on every bike I've had for the past three years. Under $30 USD, and the brown makes me think I have a Brooks or Chromag saddle

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    DSG Belair ordered. The bike will be finished for a little bit.

As mentioned I rode it last weekend. Well it was fun, rider mod is needed. Not used to no rear suspension. The bike really carrier its energy when the rider figures things out. It's fun so far, bought it as a less aggressive change up bike and am liking it.

As mentioned, mostly finished but still have things to buy. The rear rotor is solid and will get replaced soon. Then the solid goes back to my spares pile. Brakes are Avid 3 , and will get swapped for XT. Wheels are from my Intense foundation build , very heavy and have a lot of bends. The will get swapped to Spike Oozy or Carbon with Hope hubs. In the air on buying a dropped for it. Last , carbon cranks if I find the right deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast