Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NS Eccentric

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am doing a slow build on a 2015 frame, mostly used parts.
    I don't have my new wheels yet but I tried fitting a rear wheel with qr. I have seen several mentions that it must be thru axle, but qr version seems to fit fine.
    It is of course more complicated to install, removed hanger and adapter on non drive side. Installed them all on the same time.

So now I get to ride with my old 26" wheels before I get my new ones!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cokratex View Post
    I am doing a slow build on a 2015 frame, mostly used parts.
    I don't have my new wheels yet but I tried fitting a rear wheel with qr. I have seen several mentions that it must be thru axle, but qr version seems to fit fine.
    It is of course more complicated to install, removed hanger and adapter on non drive side. Installed them all on the same time.

So now I get to ride with my old 26" wheels before I get my new ones!

That's how my built was, a mix of new, bought used and left over parts.

Keep an eye out for wheels, my local Facebook group deals come up like a set of Sun Ringle Infirno 27's off a Tracer 275 for $125. Stuff like this comes up all the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How are the sizing on these frames? Im 5'10" and I usually ride medium, but large would also fit me. I checked the geo and found the reach to be short? I dont have that much experience with hardtails. My current bike is Specialized Enduro 650B.

Rocks belong
    Reach is short? They're fairly long frames. Definitely more of the short stem type.

Also, keep in mind that geo is dynamic on a hardtail. STA and reach will increase when you sit on the bike (and the fork sags). This is not the case with full suspension.

I'd probably buy the same sized frame as your Enduro 650b.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    How are the sizing on these frames? Im 5'10" and I usually ride medium, but large would also fit me. I checked the geo and found the reach to be short? I dont have that much experience with hardtails. My current bike is Specialized Enduro 650B.
    I am also about 5'10" and ride a medium with 50mm stem. I also ride a large lapierre full suspension bike. They have almost exactly same reach. It is a fairly low bike so stand over would probably be ok on a large as well.

Edit: it is a 2015 frame, the 2016 is even looonger!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Some photos from cold Russia with 2014 B/W Eccentric.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Let the build begin!

NS Eccentric-ns-eccentric.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My 16 green large cromo should be here next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My Intense Tracer that I really love to ride is just sitting. I built my Eccentric as a backup/friend bike. Now my Tracer just seems to sit around unused till the bike parks open.

Just added some carbon cranks to it last week.

Still on the list, new wheels , xt brakes , xt cassette and 2 piece XT disk.

Need to figure out what on the list to buy next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    NS Eccentric-nseccentric.jpg

I've been riding this for about 1 month now, after a few shake out rides, I've had maybe 4 solid rides on it. I ride Pisgah area trails of NC, typically on my Knolly Endorphin.

One overwhelming theme: This bike rips!!

Prior to this, I hadn't ridden a hardtail since my first bike (Schwinn Moab) back around 2008. I went into this build blind, just wanting to build a steel hardtail. I had kind of decided I wasnt going to like a hardtail (despite building one) because it would be too limiting to how I like to ride, and too harsh of a ride.

I was wrong. I can shred this bike. It handles technical terrain just fine. Yes I can feel it a bit more when sitting down, but I like to stand anyways. I also thought traction would be an issue when climbing. Wrong. I thought I was going to start riding around things and taking B lines. I don't.

I have a jumpy style of riding, meaning if I come in to a rock garden, or root pack, my instinct is to bump-jump my way into or over the feature. I can still do this, and if I come up short, it isnt nearly as harsh as I thought it would be. I ride flat pedals so I thought my feet were going to get bounced. They dont. I thought jumps and drops would be harsh and hard. They aren't.

One thing I still need to get dialed, is making my front end a little loftier. I need to diagnose this stilll....rebound speed, fork too deep in travel, no rear suspension to squat in to, handlebar height not high enough? Once I get this figured out, it will be dialed.

What this bike has confirmed for me is that it overlaps my endorphin a bit too much, which is great, because now my decision to get the new endorphin or warden is easier. Having this bike and a Warden will be a perfectly complementary stable for all of the trails I want to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Last edited by Jpez; 05-12-2016 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Djambo

Anyone have experience with the NS Eccentric Djambo? I've only found 1 review of it. Seems like a very versatile frame since it takes B+/29 wheels and should be fun since it has the same geo as the normal Eccentric.

geometry remains the same if you use a 27.5 140mm fork with 27.5x23 wheels. (used this to compare geo with 140mm Fox 34 27.5 and 120mm Fox 34 27.5+)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    nm, saw tire clearance discussion in earlier post
    Last edited by booner05; 05-18-2016 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    This thread certainly has me really itching for an Eccentric! I'm currently on a 650b Instigator 2.0 build that I bought to get myself back on a bike, but I think the medium frame is just to small for me. I considered going to a more XC oriented 29er, but I really enjoy the inbetweener that the 650b's prove to be and I'd like to try out a properly sized 650b frame. I'm in love with the orange and blue 2014, but I've yet to find one up for sale.

Anybody looking to get rid of a large 2014 or 2015 frame? Preferably in blue/orange, but I wouldn't mind a white/black or blue/white either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So, I'm thinking about buying an Alu frame. I'm about 182cm, or 6'0". I want to ride an XC/AM style, with lots of climbing to my sweet DH ... what would you guys recommend?
    Last edited by Bacchus72; 06-13-2016 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    NS Eccentric-img_20160614_182014.jpg

My Eccentric.

BOS devilles at 150mm, XTR shifters and mechs 2 X10, xt drivetrain, X0 trail brakes with 180/160 icetechs, 150mm Lev, Thomson 50mm stem, enve dh bars, atomlab trail SL wheel set, DHF/HR2. and a Doolittle for my wee tacker

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2016 Eccentric Alu. A combination of injury and young kids has kept my riding to fairly tame singletrack if I got on dirt at all for the last 3 seasons. I sold off my fun bikes and have made due with a classic 29er XC bike since I really couldn't ride beyond it's ability. This year I'm back to 100% and my 29er is just not cutting it for the way I like to ride.

I want to make the move to 650b, but don't have the cash for an entire bike. I had a set of 26" wheels and a long fork sitting unused so I am planning to build this frame with them, and swap over to 27.5 when I have the money for a fork and wheels.

Frame should be delivered Friday. Hoping it's maiden voyage will be with in a week of delivery.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone ride a aluminum frame? Wondering how those ride or if I should spend more and go steel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by booner05 View Post
    Anyone have experience with the NS Eccentric Djambo? I've only found 1 review of it. Seems like a very versatile frame since it takes B+/29 wheels and should be fun since it has the same geo as the normal Eccentric.

geometry remains the same if you use a 27.5 140mm fork with 27.5x23 wheels. (used this to compare geo with 140mm Fox 34 27.5 and 120mm Fox 34 27.5+)
    I am looking at one to put 27.5 2.4 tired now then upgrading to plus in future. If the geo stays the same with a 140 fork seems like a great frame. Has anyone done this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    Anyone ride a aluminum frame? Wondering how those ride or if I should spend more and go steel.
    Same question for me, aluminum is more budget friendly. Additionally, what is the measurement from the ground to BB centre on a 2.3 - 2.4 wide tire? Have a HT where the BB is too low and wondering if the Eccentric will be overly prone to rock strikes and the like.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What does everybody think of this bike being a 4x/dj/urban bike? I'm thinking about building a spare bike but am torn between this, the Surge Evo, and going with some actual 4x or dj frame like the Liar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you set it up with 26" wheels I think it may be alright. I am about to run mine with 26 because I swapped my wheelset over to a Warden C. I'll check back in after I get a few rides in with this set up.

If you are only going to use it for that, I would go for the Surge. If you also want it to handle trail duties, I think it would fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Good job!

I have a surge (previous model frame) setup single speed. 26" wheels and a 150 coil fork. The bike pedals well, I can hop about 3 times higher than my regular trail riding bike and it absolutely rips. This was my first experience on steel too, it deadens the hits so much better than aluminum. I get compliments on it constantly.

It handles everything from Pisgah to Ray's in Cleveland. I've found myself riding this bike even more than I planned too. Large grins always follow.

NS Eccentric-img_1671.jpgNS Eccentric-img_1668.png

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmireDan View Post
    I have a surge (previous model frame) setup single speed. 26" wheels and a 150 coil fork. The bike pedals well, I can hop about 3 times higher than my regular trail riding bike and it absolutely rips. This was my first experience on steel too, it deadens the hits so much better than aluminum. I get compliments on it constantly.

It handles everything from Pisgah to Ray's in Cleveland. I've found myself riding this bike even more than I planned too. Large grins always follow.
    Ray's, Griffin Bike Park, and the Mega Caverns is what I'm wanting to build the bike for. I think you just made up my mind lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    NS Eccentric-20161022_090018.jpg
    All I can say is wow.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Will e picking up a used one in a couple of weeks. Want to confirm the head tube, have a Surge which can take a 1.5" steer tube with the right headset. Looking at the pics the head tube of the Eccentric looks to e the same. If so what head set will work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Will e picking up a used one in a couple of weeks. Want to confirm the head tube, have a Surge which can take a 1.5" steer tube with the right headset. Looking at the pics the head tube of the Eccentric looks to e the same. If so what head set will work?
    I used the Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44/40 Conversion set.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    I used the Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44/40 Conversion set.
    Doesn't that convert it down to 1 1/8'?

mtbr member
    Doesn't that convert it down to 1 1/8'?
    The Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44 is used to run a Tapered steerer fork on a ZS44 headtube.

The external cup lower allows the headset to accommodate 1.5" steerer at the bottom of the fork. The upper cup, which sits recessed in the frame, accommodates the 1 1/8" tube on the top.

Are you saying that you need a headset to fit a Straight 1.5" steerer tube on a ZS44 frame?

EDIT: After checking the NS website, the headtube on the Eccentric is different than the older Surge frames:

- head tube: integrated tapered IS42/IS52
    - fits forks with standard 1-1/8 or tapered 1.5 - 1-1/8 steerer tubes

So the above mentioned headset is not the correct one.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
    The Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44 is used to run a Tapered steerer fork on a ZS44 headtube.

The external cup lower allows the headset to accommodate 1.5" steerer at the bottom of the fork. The upper cup, which sits recessed in the frame, accommodates the 1 1/8" tube on the top.

Are you saying that you need a headset to fit a Straight 1.5" steerer tube on a ZS44 frame?

EDIT: After checking the NS website, the headtube on the Eccentric is different than the older Surge frames:

- head tube: integrated tapered IS42/IS52
    - fits forks with standard 1-1/8 or tapered 1.5 - 1-1/8 steerer tubes

So the above mentioned headset is not the correct one.
    It is an older Eccentric I believe a 2014 model. When I look at the pics of the bike the headset lower cup is external while the upper cup is inside the head tube. That is similar to my Surge which has the upper cup and lower cup bearings in the head tube.

mtbr member
    It is an older Eccentric I believe a 2014 model. When I look at the pics of the bike the headset lower cup is external while the upper cup is inside the head tube. That is similar to my Surge which has the upper cup and lower cup bearings in the head tube.
    ok yeah, that sounds like a ZS44 with a zs44/ec44 headset

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just buildup my ns eccentric aluminum. I have this problem that is pulling out my rear wheel my zee derailleur tend to block it. anyone encounter this problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muths66 View Post
    Just buildup my ns eccentric aluminum. I have this problem that is pulling out my rear wheel my zee derailleur tend to block it. anyone encounter this problem?
    Cromo frame, and SRAM with short cage on mine. I think it's the way the axle slides in from the rear. PITA

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Can I use 27.5 160mm travel on an aluminum ns eccentric? I know reconmend is 130-140.

mtbr member
    I'm considering an Eccentric Cromo build, but was wondering if anybody could confirm tire clearance in 29'er mode.

I have some 2.4 tires I'd like to run, but the information says 2.3 max. Has anybody experimented with what you can get away with in the rear triangle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm considering a 2017 NS Eccentric Alu Evo 27.5 frame, and was wondering if anyone has seen one in person. Will it fit 29er wheels, and will the bb height be too high?

It seems to have the same 420mm chainstay length as the 29er compatible djambo, but has a non-boost rear end. I have an old 29er wheelset I'd like to use. I'd use a 120-130mm 29er fork for a similar axle to crown to 27.5 150mm forks. The question is whether the bottom bracket with 29 wheels will be higher than the Djambo Evo?

There also seems to be an inconsistency on the geometry and specs for the 2017 Djambo Evo - they list geometry figures with a 120mm fork, sell it with a 130mm RST fork, but the tech specs recommend a 130-150mm fork on the same NS bikes page. I take it a 150mm 29er/27.5+ fork would rake it out too much, and the tech specs is an error?

It's difficult to find a 29er hardtail frame with a 65 head angle, long front centre, and low bb that will fit non-boost 29er wheels and a 140-160mm pike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Splatem View Post
    I'm considering a 2017 NS Eccentric Alu Evo 27.5 frame, and was wondering if anyone has seen one in person. Will it fit 29er wheels, and will the bb height be too high?

It seems to have the same 420mm chainstay length as the 29er compatible djambo, but has a non-boost rear end. I have an old 29er wheelset I'd like to use. I'd use a 120-130mm 29er fork for a similar axle to crown to 27.5 150mm forks. The question is whether the bottom bracket with 29 wheels will be higher than the Djambo Evo?

There also seems to be an inconsistency on the geometry and specs for the 2017 Djambo Evo - they list geometry figures with a 120mm fork, sell it with a 130mm RST fork, but the tech specs recommend a 130-150mm fork on the same NS bikes page. I take it a 150mm 29er/27.5+ fork would rake it out too much, and the tech specs is an error?

It's difficult to find a 29er hardtail frame with a 65 head angle, long front centre, and low bb that will fit non-boost 29er wheels and a 140-160mm pike.
    I just got a 2017 Eccentric Djambo frame which I'm building up as a 29er. Judging from this frame, I'm pretty sure the 27.5 would not work with 29er wheels - on the Djambo, the tire clearance is pretty tight to keep that chainstay length down. It's nice and wide for 27.5+ tires but the depth is tight. I think I might actually struggle a bit with mud clearance in the winter.

I didn't do my homework and ended up erroneously buying a conversion kit for my 29er 148x12mm rear wheel but the kit only works with 6 bolt hubs and mine is a centre lock type. If yours is a six bolt type, something like this kit would allow you to use your current wheelset with the Djambo frame - all they are is a bunch of spacers to keep the brake disc and cassette in the correct position. I got mine from e-bay - there's plenty of other vendors offering them if you hunt around.

Also worth noting that the 2016 Djambo is 142x12 (despite what a lot of listings say), so that might be an option too.

As for the geometry question - I think it's safe to assume that the figures that NS put out are correct and it is based on 120mm forks. A general rule of thumb I've seen bandied about the interwebs is that 10mm of travel is roughly .5 degrees off the head angle, so there's only .5 of a degree's difference between a 120mm and a 130mm fork, and only a degree and a half between 120mm and 150mm - which can be reigned in with a little more sag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12