mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Norco storm 7.2 true or?

Hello everyone new to the forum, I bought a Norco for $100 a few weeks ago and the back wheel needs to be trued it's rubbing against the frame and the front wheel needs some tuning also, local shop will true them for around 4-50 bucks... can you guys point me in the right direction as what options I have in terms of upgrading to something better or should I just stick to this wheels? I'm trying to get this Norco back on the trails ASAP summers here in Oregon don't last long!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Storm is an entry-level bike. I wouldn't put a lot of money in upgrading it. True the wheels and hit the trails, assuming you just need the wheels trued. A nice thing about disc brakes is that the wheel doesn't have to be straight to run without rub; rim brakes are much less tolerant. Once you've ridden it into the ground and gain more experience in what you do and don't like, buy a new bike.

There is, however, a big caveat. For the wheels to rub the frame, the wheels must be badly out of true and/or there's an issue with the hubs such as loose or blown bearings. If there's no issue with the hub, there may be a broken spoke. That will increase the price of the true job. Even if the spokes and hubs are good, for a wheel that much out of true, it can be trued but it probably won't stay true for as long as you'd like.

If there's a hub issue that is causing or contributing to the wheel rubbing the frame, depending on the type of hub and nature of the problem, it could be a simple and easy fix or it could be costly enough that it's cost-prohibited.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the input, the bike is already pretty beat up I already replaced a crank arm that was stripped and replaced the pedals , ordered new grips. I will pull out the rear wheel and inspect it for the damages that where suggested . I just want to get this bike rideable for this summer and next spring, hopefully by next summer I'll be upgrading bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If the hub is damaged or spokes need to be replaced do you guys think it would be better to just replace the rear wheel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Checking the hub for play is best done with the wheel on the bike. Grab the wheel at 12:00 and rock it side to side (perpendicular to the direction of travel). Feel for movement or knocking. Broken spokes are obvious when you grab them.

As to your other question, sorry, but it depends on the relative costs and what you're getting for the price. The overall condition of the bike and your future plans also factor in. Without knowing you or inspecting the bike, good advice is tough to give.

My best advice though is get the bike in good working order as cheaply as possible. Ride the hell out of it, then buy a bike next season. Bear in mind you will get much better prices at the end of the season than at the beginning of the season.

Whatever you do to the Storm you will always be limited in some sense by the geometry, 1 1/8" head tube, rear tire clearance and QR rear dropouts. Of course that's going by current "standards" for trail bikes. There's nothing wrong with that bike. I rode a Norco Charger 26", which is a similar frame to the Storm, for several years, and loved it. I had "upgraded" all of the components over the years. Not the smartest monetary choice but I didn't care; I enjoyed riding and working on it. I built-up a new bike with a more "modern" trail frame and love that bike. I don't regret either decision. The point is consider what you're doing, and where you think you'll be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Good advice given.

Quite a few bikes (all running Shimano hubs for example) still run cup+cone bearings, so the hubs may just need grease and adjustment. Take it into the local bike store, let them tell you what is wrong.

As for new wheels, sometimes you'll find some bargains but you'll still be up for more than what you paid for the bike, and they'll often be lower quality wheelsets anyway. Just get that thing on the trails and have fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What do you guys think of this wheels? Not a bad price considering I will probably spend around 60 to get my current ones running again https://www.ebay.com/itm/182707476859

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    What do you guys think of this wheels? Not a bad price considering I will probably spend around 60 to get my current ones running again https://www.ebay.com/itm/182707476859

Better than what you have but for $200 you could probably find a better slightly used wheelset.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    The front wheel is a 15mm thru-axle so it won't fit your current fork. Unless it was swapped out the fork on your bike is 9mm QR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just found that out, msg the seller and confirmed that the front wheel won't fit... seemed like a good deal too with the tires and all

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So I took the bike in for a tune up to a local shop and I just got it back yesterday. Very disappointed in the work they did .. brakes are still the same almost seems like they didn't even adjust them and the rear wheel doesn't look much better it's barely not running anymore ... tomorrow I will be taking it in to another shop and get new brake pads hopefully that solves my issue that way I can take it out riding on Sunday

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It is unlikely that new brake pads will solve the problem. When hydraulic brakes feel soft or under-powered, they usually need to be bled with new fluid put in. That removes any air that's contaminated the system. Depending on the level of the tune up, a bleed may not have been part of the tune up. If it was, the LBS should re-do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Update. I took the bike in and the issue was that the pads and rotor where contaminated.. so I got new rotors pads and cable installed and the brakes work great.. they saved my ass that day lol I went riding to this place called Black Rock it was great

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Still upset at the original shop for not doing the job right . Also I definitely need a rear wheel.. it's rubbing again from riding on Saturday