Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Hey what's up fellow mtbr,s I wanted to share my build that I have going. I am currently having 2014 sight LE build over at Billy Goat Bikes. I went out on a leap of faith buying this bike. I have never ridden a sight before let alone a 650b bike. I am currently on a NomadC, I love this bike to death it has been nothing but a delight to ride problem free for years and many miles, but most recently I have been on a search for a more trail oriented bike. My bike collection has grown with downhill bikes and such that I'm not always just grabbing the nomad and off to where ever I am going to ride. So after a lot of reading, a lot researching this one bike kept coming up over and over, it was the Norco Sight. This seem to be the bike that I was in search of. So I contacted Matt from Billy Goat put a deposited down on a 7.1 after a month of waiting I got an email telling me to give him a call, I new bad news was to follow. he told me the 7.1 would be delayed up to another 2 months but he had a solution lets build the large LE frame he had in stock.

Bike setup:
    * Frame Size & Color: Large LE Red
    * Rear Shock: Fox CTD B/V
    * Fork: Rock Shox Pike RCT 3 solo air 150mm
    * Brakes: Shimano XT-203 front, 180 rear
    * Shifter: SRAM X01
    * Cranks: Race Face Next SL direct drive 32T
    * Chainguide: none for now
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X01
    * Pedals: Crampons??
    * Stem: Race Face Atlas 50mm (35mm clamp)
    * Handlebar: 35mm Sixc 800MM
    * Seatpost: Stealth Reverb
    * Seat clamp: Norco
    * Saddle: Specialized Phenom Pro
    * Cassette: SRAM X01
    * Headset: Cane Creek 40
    * Grips: ODI rogue
    * Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans dampf 2.35 pace star
    * Front Rim: Industry Nine enduro
    * Front Hub: Industry Nine Torch
    * Rear Tire: Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35 Super gravity
    * Rear Rim: Industry Nine enduro
    * Rear Hub: Industry Nine Torch

Here is a teaser picture Matt sent me. More pictures to fallow along with a review of the bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1395604369.682349.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's a disgustingly nice build. Just got my sight 7.2c, planning on building it up over the next few years. Let me know what you think of the wheel set after a few rides that's going to be my first upgrade, just not sure what to get yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Don't know if he still has it, but Matt had an extra factory rp23 he took off a Troy carbon in favor of a CCDBA for one of his demos. Might be an upgrade he might be willing to deal on. Agreed on the disgustingness of the build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    holy shitey shite! saweet build! out o my budget range on my 7.2c build in progress this week - ill try not to turn green or LE red w envy - seriously - you got the goods and she should be amazing!!!

pics once built and ride report in follow up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm going to be very interested to see what this turns out like and the final weight.
    My Sight 7.1 has Carbon Sixx C bars, carbon X01 cranks and XT brakes, so very similar with the exception of the Pike.
    Keep us posted

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Thanks guys I am glad the 7.1's were delayed I ended up with a much nicer bike. Lit sounds like the parts from race face will be on there way to the shop to tomorrow. So updates to follow soon.

All you guys with your sights tells us how you feel about them. The good the bad the ugly.

I was watching the video for SRAM's latest brakes the guide they shot the action footage on a Sight which always make me think this must be a bad ass bike it shows up all everywhere.

Video:
    http://youtu.be/ddGfPO7bGxU

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Norco Sight LE build-img_0402.jpgJust had my first snowy, muddy, wet ride on my 7.2. This bike blew me away, super nimble and climbed well with the shock wide open. I will have to wait until summer to tell you how it climbs on rocky, rooted uphills; the snowy icy, ones I took today impressed me. The rear end stayed glued to the ground even over the shovel rows on the hill and I didn't lose grip until I hit the glare ice at the top.

I wasn't sure how I would like the 27.5" wheels after really liking my 29er hardtail. I almost bought a stumpy 29er carbon last fall on clear out but glad I waited, this bike is way more nimble and picks up speed way faster. While it doesn't have the monster truck feel of the stumpy I had no problem going up and over windrows and it felt stable at speed. All in all I love this bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I love my bike. It's a trail slayer, even if I am not.

As mentioned, the bike climbs well. The rear end is very active in the best possible way. It just grips and grips over techy climbs.

The bike begs to pop off lips and roots.

I can't speak to DH as my trails lack real DH action. So far, the Fox 32K fork is butter for my needs.

My only comment that isn't super positive is this: The front end doesn't lift up as easily as I had thought it should given the very short chainstays. Anyone else feel this way?

Overall, I am in total lust with my Sight.

mtbr member
    Ok, be honest....

How much are spending on this project???

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I'm glad to hear such great feed back about these bikes!

My build is much less then the stock build LE from norco I'll say that much! I can thank Matt for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Almost done!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1396309765.824249.jpg  

Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1396309777.194774.jpg  

Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1396309786.388238.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Stopped by billy goats looking for knee pads today and saw he was almost done with it. Sick build online and in person as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Well the day came I finally took delivery of my Norco sight! After a few weeks of waiting on the last parts from Race Face. It was an exciting day to finally get the bike. It's that's bike you see and hear about all the time but no one really has one. Norco's dealer infrastructure is weak, most don't have actual carbon bikes in stock. So not even seeing or riding a bike I took a plunge and pulled the trigger!

My pervious experience have been on primarily VPP bikes the sight will replace my Nomad. I really like my nomad it has taken me many many places without issue. Things looking to improve from my nomad

- Better climbing efficiency
    - larger cockpit nomad seemed quite cramped even with size larger frame, 800mm bars 60mm stem and seat pushed back
    - less travel something a little more trail. I have a downhill bike I didn't need one bike to fulfill all my riding needs which the nomad really did and it did it well!
    - larger wheels. I had to try this whole 650b thing a try

Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1397400839.043811.jpg

Initial thoughts
    Wow this bike is beautiful the pictures just don't do it justice. It has nice slick lines with a clean raw carbon and red paint scheme. This thing is LIGHT!!! Most of the parts I picked are light weight but strong. I didn't want to have a full on weenie bike that I destroy in a matter of weeks. I did notice the front of the bike with a 150 pike is crazy light. Riding the bike out on the street I got a feel for how the suspension worked and the stiffness of the bike was it felt just right. The fit was right on with size large with 50mm stem and 800mm bars I am 6' tall. The nomad almost felt like it was a complete size smaller then what stated by Santa Cruz but then again the nomad geo is dated hints the redesign just released.

Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1397402336.621167.jpg

On the trail

After setting the sag and basic settings on the suspension, and getting the seat post to where I wanted it. Itching like a kid on Christmas morning I loaded the bike up on the car and headed to my local spot that I ride all the time. First thing first this this climbings great!!! I was so worried I kept hearing keywords like really "active suspension" or " had to put the bike in the middle trail mode" i was able to climb everything in the open mode without a problem. I would put the bike into trail mode to climb a fire road to increase efficiency save energy. When the bike is in trail mode it is like riding a cross county bike! So for those of you worried about the bike climbing well it does! This bike climbed 10 fold better then the nomad! So far so good!

Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1397402441.346377.jpg

Coming off a Nomad with CCDBA CS it's going to be hard to beat descending such a iconic bike. After a few rides of tuning the rear shock I got it pretty close to where I thought it performed up to my standards. I was really really impressed by this bike it was smooth and controlled through rough rocky sections I never felt and harsh bottoming out. I would say it went down just as well as the nomad. What was mind blowing was the way the bike would pick up speed! This thing is a rocket.

Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1397403608.210465.jpg

When it came to cornering I loved the Nomad I thought it was just a playful nimble bike even for its travel and weight. After riding the sight i realized the nomad wasn't really that stiff! The Norco is far far stiffer. I thought that there would be a learning g curve to riding this bike but there really wasn't. It felt just right! The grip is just what you expected tons of grip!! Just lean the bike over and rocket through whatever you throw at it.

I am in love with this bike!! It is everything you have heard about it and more!!! If you're looking for a bike that can hang with the best of them going up and down this is it!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review darkstar. Do you think you are going to keep the 800 width on the bars? I tried that width on Sight, and it felt really too wide for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Boy - she's a looker! Nice build!! Nice review - couldnt agree more with your on the trail findings!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Thanks for the review darkstar. Do you think you are going to keep the 800 width on the bars? I tried that width on Sight, and it felt really too wide for me.
    I will keep the bars at 800 I have been riding 800 for a long time I am very comfortable on them I have a pretty good wing span so no issues with feeling to wide. They do take some getting use to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    OMG, so beautiful. What's the final weight of this beauty?
    I just converted my Mojo SL to 650, loving these new wheel size already. Sure faster than 26in, but same nimbleness.

I told my friends my next bike will be 29er maybe in a couple of yrs, but this 650b is just so much fun. And carbon sight is so beautiful, I don't know if I can wait for a couple of yrs.😊😊

How do you like the schwalbe tires? Please review...
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great looking bike, and sweet build. \

And... way to slip your RS4 in that photo to drive the point home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The bike and components sum up to a whole stunner. Good job! What's the final weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Thanks guys!! I'll get a final complete weight on the bike tomorrow. I need to get some stuff from the bike shop.

Lol I like to drive fast cars too!

Tires
    I have been running the Hans/ rock razor combo for about 6 months now. I really like this combo it super fast rolling, surprising grippy even in the wet which surprised me. Living in Northern California we have a ton of hard pack trails this is the idea tire combo for around here. The cornering ability is amazing the Hans has very controlled feeling when it does drift you know it's going to bite into something and not wash if you have yourself weighted on the tire. The rock razor is the same once it's put on its side knobs it's got full traction and will take you through any corner pinned. I see specialized is coming out with a similar tire so you know a lot more folk in hard pack environments will be running these tires. We don't need super knobby tires like you would for loamy type of conditions. The rock razor tire brakes well I wouldn't say it excels in braking but it gets the job done. I run a super gravity casing in the rear due to the fact I am really really hard on rims so I like the added casing on the tire. Only pit fall is the only available compound that is available is the softer trail star but surprising enough it has survived quite well with about 6 months of good use and showing some wear mostly on the side knobs but nothing like a Hans or a nobby nic would on the rear of a bike.

May I also speak about a few of the drivetrain components. I'll start off with the X01 components. Wow this stuff is no joke! It is everything and some you hear about. The shifting is effortless but also extremely crisp. SRAM you guys nailed this one. There is no doubt Shimano has some catching up to do! Even with there new semi wide range 11spd system I don't think it will stack up to SRAM's XX1/X01 systems. I was a little worried I went out and bought the first X9 type 2 derailleur I could find to only have it fail just days later so I'm not going to lie I was a little scared to come back, but I did and I am glad.

Next I would like to talk about these Race Face next SL cranks another home run!! I have ran Noir's, carbon XO, XT and what I thought was the bees knees E13 trsr cranks these are by far the stiffest and lights of the bunch I have tired. To be honest I didn't think they would live up to being both light and this stiff but they are it promise! I think also the massive and super wide BB just added to the over all package.

Last edited by Darkstar187; 04-27-2014 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great bike and build - enjoy !

Was trying to resist, but may drop an email to Matt too...

I ride bikes
    Out of curiosity... Total price tag?

Now with flavor!!
    Throw that damn thing on a scale will ya?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

It is 27 lbs exactly with pedals

Pedals are 340 grams

Now with flavor!!
    Whoohoo!

Thanks!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I could drop some grams with weenie tires but that's no fun and I'll destroy my rims! Someone weighted there stock LE it was 26lbs 6oz without pedals

mtbr member
    I don't get this "weight without pedals" thing. Why don't you just weigh it without wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I don't get this "weight without pedals" thing. Why don't you just weigh it without wheels?
    LOL, that's actually is very true and very funny!

bumbles bounce
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Out of curiosity... Total price tag?
    Yeah, are you at least under $5K on this sweet ride or what? Some inquiring minds want to know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I'm not under 5k touch over 6

bumbles bounce
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187 View Post
    I'm not under 5k touch over 6
    And worth every hard-earned cent I'm sure. You certainly didn't skimp on the build. Thanks for sharing. Jealous!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I would say that the one place I didn't go full blast would be the wheels. My old bike had enve's which I loved but these I9's feel just as stiff I think the bromad needed them to achieve maximum stiffness. I will upgrade the shock at some point. I want to see what I can fit in there. Since these have gravity tuned frame I want to say that a Kirk will for or maybe a monarch plus. Or possible a new goodie coming out from cane creek

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I would say that the one place I didn't go full blast would be the wheels. My old bike had enve's which I loved but these I9's feel just as stiff I think the bromad needed them to achieve maximum stiffness. I will upgrade the shock at some point. I want to see what I can fit in there. Since these have gravity tuned frame I want to say that a Kirk will for or maybe a monarch plus. Or possible a new goodie coming out from cane creek
    A shock with a remote res will not fit the carbon frame. I tried to no avail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think the new Monarch Debonair may be a good upgrade.. And black stanchion will look nice.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Good question actually. Its because its become defacto standard for manufacturers to weigh without pedals so its a way to establish apples to apples comps
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

This is what makes me suspicious that one might work. Since the frames have the gravity tune the front triangle grows in size so you might not be able to run a monarch plus or a Kirk in the smaller size frames but maybe on the large or extra large.

mtbr member
    Interesting! Where's the pic with the monarch plus from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    My frame is a medium not a large, did not think about a monarch plus fitting on a large frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

It was from decline magazine. I asked if they had firm it issues they said they did but I don't think they would endorse using something the manufacturer said not to use

mtbr member
    Wow, great catch Darkstar. I read decline and missed it.

Anybody running a volume spacer on their carbon sight? that might help a bit.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My buddy just got his last week. By far the nicest I've ever pedaled and probably the lightest too

mtbr member
    Had a dream the other night that Cane Creek is coming out with an inline....at least I think it was a dream.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I hear dreams come true!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How did you get the reservoir shock to fit? I emailed Norco and they told me no go...on any size frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

That was decline mag they said they had fit issues

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

So it's official I tried a new monarch plus it doesn't fit!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight LE build-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1399844182.622730.jpg  

mtbr member

Norco Sight LE build

Cane creek is working on something. I talked to them a couple weeks ago. A lot of them have carbon sights so just be patient.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I have heard about it! And might have seen it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So it's official I tried a new monarch plus it

Can't you mount it upside down?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I didn't try multiple positions. I'm just going to wait out for the inline DBair. Should be soon.

mtbr member
    I didn't try multiple positions. I'm just going to wait out for the inline DBair. Should be soon.
    You were trying to fit a new shock but didn't even try to flip it over or turn it around?

It looks like either way might have worked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

You were trying to fit a new shock but didn't even try to flip it over or turn it around?

It looks like either way might have worked.
    Correct there isn't enough room.

mtbr member

Game Changer

Game changer!
    Cane Creek's New DBinline Shock - First Ride - Pinkbike

Just built up my Sight and I can see this happening in the near future.

I'll put up pix and specs on mine soon
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sweet - I see we both have our Norco connection via Wade - albeit you are a sponsored rider racer Me - just an old mtb hack!! If you do jump on the new inline - would love to hear about it (as Im sure the rest of this forum will)- as i think a bit better rear shock could change the dynamics of the sight. Its not bad by any means, but love all the independent circuits/adjustability.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I will have the inline as soon as it's available

mtbr member
    Kamper11 - I just got this finished last night. The cast came off from a broken hand last week so I'm still working on mobility, but hoping to get in many rides soon. The demo I rode was great but could be more plush in the rear and I wanted a bit more ramp up on the drops. Like nearly every review says the frame is more capable than the rear shock. Sadly you cannot fit a piggyback on there so this looks like brilliant timing!!! I'll be asking about getting this ASAP.

Norco Sight LE build-v__02ae.jpg

Specs:
    Norco Sight 7.2 Medium
    Pike @ 150
    i9 Hubs/ WTB i23 rims
    Maxxis HR II tires
    XX1 crank, rear der, cassette, chain, and grip shift
    Reverb stealth 125
    Arione VS saddle
    Fox CTD rear (for now)
    CC 40 headset
    Syntace Megaforce 2 stem (50mm)
    Easton Havoc bars
    XTR trail pedals

Weight 27.0 lbs (with pedals)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Great bike! How tall are you (and inseam)?

mtbr member
    5'9" and I wear 32" inseam pants. Frame size fits perfect

mtbr member

... and if we just ... It fits!

Vital has a good review of the CC DBinline with videos.
    Cane Creek DBinline Air Shock ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Rear Shocks - Vital MTB

The bonus images include this tasty number
    Norco Sight LE build-s780_inlinerelease_5_11_14_69979.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Vital has a good review of the CC DBinline with videos.
    Cane Creek DBinline Air Shock ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Rear Shocks - Vital MTB

The bonus images include this tasty number
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s780_inlinerelease_5_11_14_69979.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	894424
    Aw man...
    I so wish I hadn't seen this photo. Being the owner of a Sight 7.1 as per the photos AND having just dropped $1k on a new set of wheels the bike mod budget has been pretty much used up....for now
    I see any couple of overtime shifts coming up

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

I have my shock on order. Sounds like there is a lot of OEM orders to fill. I was told by my shop up to the end of July even tho I hear a release 6/16!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I sent an email to CC about the inline. They said aftermarket inlines will be shipped in mid-July. I would guess that factory inlines will start coming out in mid-June. I'm with you darkstar - I am going to get one as soon as they are available. Hopefully, I will be able to sell my fox float ctd kashima...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

You will be. There are some die hard fox fans, it's a great shock as well some people like us just demand more for our suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My Sight 7.2 came with RockShox Monarch RT (rebound tune Med, compression tune Low) rear shock.

I've been looking at newly released Monarch Debonair RT3 as the small upgrade, however all new shocks are shipped with rebound tune Med, compression tune Med.

- What would the difference in compression tune do to the ride (Low vs Med)?
    - How difficult (and which parts are needed) to change RT3 shock's compression tune from Med to Low?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Darkstar, how much you figure you'd get for a float ctd kashima(2014- off a Troy)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

The M/M are the compression and rebound tunes for the stock tune. Fox, SRAM and Norco select the best combo of tunes for the the bikes suspension system and the ride characteristics they are looking from for the bike so the M stands for medium. I would contact SRAM or Norco if you are looking to get a new debonair for the correct tune.

The might have bumped up the compression to a medium tune due to the larger volume air chamber aiding easier action off the top of the beginning stroke of the shock.

You do have the ability of tuning the shocks yourself. I know people have been doing this with there monarch plus shocks. You add and subtract washers/shim from the shim stack to retune.

I am not planning on selling the stock shock it's not really worth a whole lot. If I ever do sell my bike all keep it around to put back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    FYI, I was blowing through the travel on my Fox shock (CTDK) on my new Sight quite easily on all 3 modes and brought it back to my LBS. They shipped the shock back to Fox and Fox changed out the spring for a "heavy duty" one. It seems to have helped.

However, the CC has me drooling...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just a little update. I went up to Downieville last saturday i took the Sight of course. WOW this bike is amazing. I really thought the the fox shock would fall short a little and have issues with the rebound fading on me. surprising enough it performed exceptionally well. Now this make me wonder what sort of improvement it will be once i get the Inline on there. One thing that really stood out to me was the braking traction. This is one thing that is a BIG BIG improvement from my old VPP bike. The bike just stays glued to the ground. When you really put the brakes on and hung your ass over the seat it really hooked up. The guys i was riding with were on the new T275 from intense with CCDA CS, i was able to hang and keep the lead of the pack on my little 140 bike When it came to the couple of climbs the bike did really well.

Here is a little video of the ride. you can see how well and smooth the bike is through the rough terrain. Sorry about the bad angle. I must have bumped the camera putting my goggles back on.

<iframe width='500' height='281' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/364614/?colors=c80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    May be I got the wrong impression but this trail is more like for XC and Sight is more than what's needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the video!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimant View Post
    May be I got the wrong impression but this trail is more like for XC and Sight is more than what's needed.
    Yes, I think Darkstar is talking specifically about off-trail riding trails when it comes to shock performance...that trail in the video would be the smoothest, most beautifully comforting ride I've ever had - looks awesome! Sight is total overkill on that run for sure - 100mm suspension XC bike would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Need to angle that Gopro up a little higher!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Somehow missed your post Sdemars - glad to hear you are about healed up and mobil - which = ready to ride. our builds are similar in many ways. Just rode up at gowdy yesterday and the bike just makes the varied terrain and rock parks so dang fun. about the only think i feel holding the bike back is the rear shock...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

That's just the smoother part of the trail lol my other angles were worse I kept pulling the camera down when I would take off googles. Downieville is a pretty amazing place known for there trail system. Specially the downhill part. A lot of bike manufacture will take there bikes there to test them. It's 15 miles all down drop of 5000' . If you ever hear of a Santa Cruz butcher well that's the name of one the trails on the decent.

Here is a link to the race they put on every year has more about the trail.
    http://www.downievilleclassic.com/pages/downhill.html

I'll crook it up to my crappy angle and low quality video but this place will eat your bike for breakfast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Show us a real test of the Sight: jumps over nice kickers with nice gaps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

Soon! Our resorts aren't quite open yet about 2 more weeks!

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I could drop some grams with weenie tires but that's no fun and I'll destroy my rims! Someone weighted there stock LE it was 26lbs 6oz without pedals
    That was my LE size large with a Pike Fork up front.

I've made a few other changes. Went tubeless, HansDampf tire front/Nobby Nic rear tire, Easton carbon riser bars, Raceface crank end protectors, Crank Bros Candy Pedals and some Ti bolts.

My current bike weight with pedals is 25lbs 15oz.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    That's crazy light. What are we talking for total cost? Would you be well over 8 grand?

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I paid $6650 Canadian (tax included) for the Sight Carbon LE and the Pike upgrade. Maybe another $600-$750 for the other parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Low to mid $7Gs, actually not too bad for a tricked out trail bike under 26 pounds. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm hooked. Where did you buy and how much was just the frame?

mtbr member

Wink

Norco Sight LE build-bike-weigh2.jpgNorco Sight LE build-bikeweigh.jpg

i just slapped on a 40mm chromag stem and kept everything else stock for now... the engine needs to lose some more weight before I think about modifying the bike anymore

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Could you please make a photo how does it look like without front shifter? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Kamper11 - I just got this finished last night. The cast came off from a broken hand last week so I'm still working on mobility, but hoping to get in many rides soon. The demo I rode was great but could be more plush in the rear and I wanted a bit more ramp up on the drops. Like nearly every review says the frame is more capable than the rear shock. Sadly you cannot fit a piggyback on there so this looks like brilliant timing!!! I'll be asking about getting this ASAP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__02AE.jpg 
Views:	3239 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	894417

Specs:
    Norco Sight 7.2 Medium
    Pike @ 150
    i9 Hubs/ WTB i23 rims
    Maxxis HR II tires
    XX1 crank, rear der, cassette, chain, and grip shift
    Reverb stealth 125
    Arione VS saddle
    Fox CTD rear (for now)
    CC 40 headset
    Syntace Megaforce 2 stem (50mm)
    Easton Havoc bars
    XTR trail pedals

Weight 27.0 lbs (with pedals)
    Can you please make more photos?

mtbr member

Love the Sight

I've had some saddle time on my fully up spec'ed 7.2. So far I'm impressed. Full review to come.
    Norco Sight LE build-photo-10.jpg
    Norco Carbon Sight 7.2
    Pike 140mm
    I9 Torch
    Maxis Ardent
    XT brakes and rotors
    Xo1 Drivetrain
    Reverb stealth post
    Thompson 70mm stem
    Stock Saddle
    stock grips (hated at first, but not bad).
    stock bar (flat for my tastes, low rise coming soon).
    stock headset
    Monarch shock (DB inline on pre-order though I must say the Monarch is impressive. No climb, or trail mode like the RTC just open or locked, however; with more adjustment I think there may be a sweet spot that will require no lock out. Still experimenting).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    WOW - sweet and smart build there bondseye! Is there a reason you went Pike at 140 vs say 150?

btw - I just replaced my Monarch RT with the new Debonair - RCT3 - and its the money - likely much less fiddling and adjustment than the DB(unless you want that) - its smooth and plush but pedals amazingly well. I considered the CC DBinline as well - for about $120 less and I was leaning towards a more "set and forget" - I'm real stoked on the debonair

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    WOW - sweet and smart build there bondseye! Is there a reason you went Pike at 140 vs say 150?

btw - I just replaced my Monarch RT with the new Debonair - RCT3 - and its the money - likely much less fiddling and adjustment than the DB(unless you want that) - its smooth and plush but pedals amazingly well. I considered the CC DBinline as well - for about $120 less and I was leaning towards a more "set and forget" - I'm real stoked on the debonair
    Thanks for the tip and compliment. I'll look into the Debonair. I was sold on the Pike and thought I'd have to go 150mm, but I found a 140mm take off on Ebay and decided to run that mostly because I think Norco nailed the geo and I didn't want to slacken the head angle.

What didn't you like about the Momarch?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    all things considered - i "thought" I didnt like it as much as I did - and shoulda prob waited for just the upgrade kit... but i got the scrath the itch now mode.

the rt was real good in retrospect. the debonair is just more plush as RS states it should be - but when it ramps up in big hits provide support while remaining plush...

now that I've nailed my setup for the sight - 30% sag, 3 or 4 clicks from closed rebound - it truly is a "go out and ride" shock - it does soften the small bumps and compliance is nicer there - and coming off the big hits I have yet to bottom out...

FYI - my shop owner just installed the debonair on his enduro race bike - and is also loving it - met him on trail the other day and he called it "silky"

the standard RT was just a bit more "sharp" in the ride - small bumps and hits

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

What tune did you get ? When i last looked they seemed to be only available in a med/med . I'm thinking of getting the Monarch + Debonair for my 2013 Ally Sight. but not sure if its supposed to have a different tune than M/M.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the new Debonair is pretty simply spec'd as just a M tune. No multiple classifications like M/L, M/M etc like the OEM spec. I read over on the shock/sus forum that this is the standard for all aftermarket Debonairs. You only get a specific tune if its an OEM spec moving fwd. At this point - i have no issue with it and it's working as advertised - for what it is supposed to do above and beyond the non-debonair RT that came w bike.

I try to research and be a pretty informed consumer - but no expert - I've read that the shock could be rebuilt with internals that can change the stock tune, but not 100% positive. While I've wondered if it would be better - I have no issue with the performance and have ridden numerous vaired terrain trails here in CO since purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Has anyone actually tried to put a reservoir shock on the Sight Carbon? Like the Monarch Plus Debonair or Float X? I know Norco says one won't fit, I just wanted to know if you could perhaps fit one. The Giant Trance Advanced SX has a similar frame design (at least how the shock mounts to the frame), and it seems to have plenty of clearance. Just curious if anyone has actually tried to put a reservoir shock on a sight carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ~MAX-Moab~ View Post
    Has anyone actually tried to put a reservoir shock on the Sight Carbon? Like the Monarch Plus Debonair or Float X? I know Norco says one won't fit, I just wanted to know if you could perhaps fit one. The Giant Trance Advanced SX has a similar frame design (at least how the shock mounts to the frame), and it seems to have plenty of clearance. Just curious if anyone has actually tried to put a reservoir shock on a sight carbon.
    It's been tried and won't work. The shock will hit the frame, even on Large size frame.
    Last edited by dreys; 06-26-2014 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Norco Sight LE build

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I suppose it wouldn't mount upside down? I guess the shock to get for that bike would be either the standard Rockshox Monarch Debonair, or the CCDB Inline shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Kind of a shame, I rode a 2013 Alum Sight with a monarch plus, and a Pike, and it felt amazing. The new Sight just begs for more aggressive components...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Nice! Been thinking about the Debonair myself. I have the Fox Float Performance (Sight 7.1).. I guess this is a slightly better shock than the standard Monarch.. So the question is if it is worth the upgrade! Any opinions?

I agree with Max Moab - this bike loves more aggressive components! Kind of feel like the Pike I put in front outperforms the rear... And yeah, looks like maybe the Monarch plus can be mounted upside down?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Think I'm sold for 2015 on the sight. Have a 2014 transition covert 650b with the premium build but think I want to step down to something more nimble and better on The ups. Loving the looks of these sights and loving the detailed review! Thanks Darkstar.

Covert came with a perfect build kit with Stans flow, xt brakes and x01 1x11 so I'll probably switch it all over the the sight. Anyone know if you can step down the 160mm Pike to a 150mm?

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti View Post
    Think I'm sold for 2015 on the sight. Anyone know if you can step down the 160mm Pike to a 150mm?
    I have a Pike on my Sight Carbon LE. My LBS changed the travel for me from 160 to 150mm.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a 150mm Pike on my Sight Carbon too. All you need is a new air damper to change the 160 to 150. I think it's like $80.

I'm curious to try a 160 on my Sight. When I'm hitting drops, I kind of feel like the front end is a bit steep and doesn't get out there as much as I like. Of course, I'm a hack - so it's more than likely me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast