Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Norco Range 650b medium or large?

Hello, I've decided to buy the Norco Range 2 with the 650b wheels as my new all mountain/enduro bike.

At 5'11'' I seem to be right in between medium and large. I tried both frame sizes for a quick spin on the road, but was not able to test ride on a trail. Both sizes seem ok, but I am still undecided. I feel the medium is more nimble, but on the other hand I don't want to suffer from a too small bike on the ascents. I have to ascend for at least an hour before I reach the trail head.

Looking at the geo, it seems the top tube length is longer than on other mediums, however the seat tube length appears to be much shorter than other brands of the same size. Anyone else notice this?

Is anyone the same size or similar size and can give a recommendation whether they use medium or large? Thanks, really appreciate any replies.

People of zee wurl,Relax!
    They run big. I'm 5'8" and rented a medium Range 2 for the weekend. Amazing bike BTW. I really loved the bike but the top tube was a little long for me. I think the medium would be really fun and playful at your height. You could go with the large if you wanted to use it as more of a trail bike or medium for fun.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mtbr member
    Hi Alps, did you finally buy a Norco Range 650b? Which size did you get, M or L?

I'm also 5'11" and have ordered an L, but I'm not sure if it will fit well since the top tube is too long... but as you said, seat tube is short and my 38 cms Reverb will reach the limit...

Anyone more at 5'11 or close riding an L or M???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm 6' even and I'm on a large. Large and XL bikes come with 70mm stems where smaller sizes have 60mm stems. Maybe ask your LBS to put a shorter stem on the large or a longer stem on the medium.

mtbr member
    I'm 182cms, so closer to 6' than 5'11".

What stem's size are you using incubus? I think I'll go to a 40-50mm stem with the L size

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I still have the stock stem on the bike (70mm). It feels decent for my frame a my arms are on the longer side of average.

Also, I just replaced the bars with some that are more narrow than the stock unit. I feel that this, coupled with a shorter stem, might make the front end too twitchy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Same question, sort of. I am 174cm (5'8"). Legs are on the shortish side (29" inseam), more torso. I thought it a no brainer I should get a medium until I read a review where a dude an inch shorter than me was on a medium Range and had the seat slid all the way back and was considering trying out a large when he could.

This didn't make sense but I haven't ridden one as I have to order sight unseen at the moment.

I would have initially guessed a medium would be right for me and a large out of the question.

However I rode 2 GT sensors today (large and medium, carpark demo) and to be honest the large actually felt quite OK, maybe even better than the medium. Have I got it all wrong? Bike I have now is a 2004 Specialized Enduro in medium and it fits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Get the large. I'm 5'10' on a large Range--it's perfect.

The new geometry of all mountain bikes seems to lean towards sizing up: There is no downside to a large frame as stand over is no longer an issue with these low top tubes. The short stem wide handlebar feels better with a slightly longer top tube as well. And seat tubes are all shorter--and meant to run a dropper post…and the dropper post is the biggest size-buster of all. Get a large with a dropper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Get the large. I'm 5'10' on a large Range--it's perfect.

The new geometry of all mountain bikes seems to lean towards sizing up: There is no downside to a large frame as stand over is no longer an issue with these low top tubes. The short stem wide handlebar feels better with a slightly longer top tube as well. And seat tubes are all shorter--and meant to run a dropper post…and the dropper post is the biggest size-buster of all. Get a large with a dropper.
    Thanks. Never thought that at 5'8" I would be considering buying a large size MTB. I am going to have to rethink this. I was very close to ordering a medium Range. My problem is I have to choose without riding as no stock in any shop I can find within 200km of home. Might even force me to get a Trance as at least I have ridden one (or something else I can briefly demo). It was a medium Trance I rode and seemed OK size wise.

Specs of bikes considered as follows;

Range (medium)
    Theoretical top tube length = 598mm
    Reach = 417mm

Range (large)
    Theoretical top tube length = 625mm
    Reach = 436mm

Sight (medium) rode one in carpark and seemed OK size, but not generous
    Theoretical top tube length - medium = 588mm
    Reach = 421mm

Trance (medium)
    Top tube = 599mm
    Reach = not available

Sensor (medium)
    Top tube = 601mm

Sensor (large)
    Top tube = 629mm

Just measured my 2004 Specialized Enduro (medium) theoretical horizontal top tube length as per Norco spec page was around 590mm. Can't find actual spec online.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    At your height be careful regarding the seat tube length. A large Range may seem like a good idea until you find you don't have room for a decent length dropper.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks, does that mean I won't be able to get the seat low enough when dropper fully compressed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    At your height be careful regarding the seat tube length. A large Range may seem like a good idea until you find you don't have room for a decent length dropper.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The post may not insert into the frame far enough to get the saddle down to ride height. A range with a short travel dropper or no dropper is kind of pointless.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Cheers. Rode a 19" Remedy 29er and it fit fine. Thinking that ordering a bike without ever sitting on it is risky. Even being talked around to 29" option.