mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Norco Fluid 7.1 or 7.2 or Kona Precept DL

I thought this forum may be a little better to post this than the beginners forum. My wife and I decided to get back into Mtbing again but we weren't ever serious about it 15 years ago. We just rode trails and had fun. After some demos I'm sold on 27.5 over 29. I rode a Norco Carbon Sight 7.2 and fell in love in the parking lot but the wife has said no to $3,600. The LBS is looking for an Alloy 7.2 but told me not to hold my breath. Our riding will likely be a mix of XC and general easier trail riding. No big drops over a three feet but I do like speed. However, going up is important not only because she likes hill climbs and hardtails ( I like going down much more) but because I'm also going to use the bike on some fire roads for exercise for the dogs and myself. But I don't want to sacrifice fun on the downs. We live outside of Portland, OR so the bike will see some legitimate trail use.

I was able to ride a Fluid 9.2 and found the bike fun but felt the 29 wheels just didn't have the cornering or pep of the 27.5 on the Sight. I don't think it was the geometry of the bike. They didn't have a Fluid 7 in stock. I'm leaning toward the 7.1 if I go this route. I don't think the 120mm of travel will hold me back. Although, 140mm seems to have become the 120mm of years ago.

Another local bike shop who I have visited carries Kona a brand I use to like because of their beefy bikes. They don't have a Precept DL in stock but it seems to have similar geometry to the Sight and the Process 134 "out of stock" with 140mm up front and 130mm rear travel both of which get great reviews. I'm assuming either would serve me well but I wondered if anyone had ridden both and could compare?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There was a review in australia MTB about the 7.1. While they did have some minor quibbles about it (no clutch RD) the last line of the article summed it up- odds are you will find your limits before you find the bikes.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I haven't ridden the Kona but did review the Fluid 7.1. There's a thread about it on this forum where the review is posted.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys. I have read both reviews and an additional review In MTB action comparing the Process 134 and Precept dl. I was just hoping to get lucky and find someone who has ridden both. It's probably going to come down to which bike is available from the manufacturer sooner. Both bike shops told me they are having a supply vs demand problem for both brands. Each shop also has a larger brand available which they said aren't moving as well as the Kona's or Norco's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm eyeing up precept dl, sight 7.2 and Trance 3 and possibly something used off Pinkbike but not having luck with sellers returning my messages. Kona and Giant have lifetime frame warranties but not sure about Norco?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you can swing the $$ for a Process 134, that looks like an extremely nice bike.

The Precept has similar geometry but a much shorter frame which may not work quite as well as the Process.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Shopping similarly for my 13yo (thread in general forum).
    FS Bike $1500 options, help with models to consider

The main downer of the Process 134 (at least the 2014 I have my eye on) is the 33# weight. The dropper is a heavy one, but much of the build is on the heavy side. On the flipside, the small size fits me like my medium Trance. Super cool bike, very chuckable.

I fee your pain, Noose, about PB sellers not returning contacts, in the same boat.

The LBS guy commented that the Precept is a pretty skimpy build (30mm fork, 9spd rear). Similar to this is the Giant Stance. Might be worth a look too, I think the teething issues with the rear stays breaking has been addressed.

I love my Trance, but the fork (even on my 1) left something to be desired. With the expense of the excellent suspension, they have to cut corners somewhere. I imagine a 27.5 3 would be something you'd upgrade before long.

If I could try the Norco line locally, I probably would.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2015 Gravity Monster
    2014 Kona Process 134a

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Shopping similarly for my 13yo (thread in general forum).
    FS Bike $1500 options, help with models to consider

The main downer of the Process 134 (at least the 2014 I have my eye on) is the 33# weight. The dropper is a heavy one, but much of the build is on the heavy side. On the flipside, the small size fits me like my medium Trance. Super cool bike, very chuckable.

I fee your pain, Noose, about PB sellers not returning contacts, in the same boat.

The LBS guy commented that the Precept is a pretty skimpy build (30mm fork, 9spd rear). Similar to this is the Giant Stance. Might be worth a look too, I think the teething issues with the rear stays breaking has been addressed.

I love my Trance, but the fork (even on my 1) left something to be desired. With the expense of the excellent suspension, they have to cut corners somewhere. I imagine a 27.5 3 would be something you'd upgrade before long.

If I could try the Norco line locally, I probably would.
    Good points all around Kyle. One thing I think is the precept dl has a 32mm fork. I wonder if the precept sizing is on the large size like the process. I better ride before I decide as I'm 5'8 so maybe a small Kona will fit me better than a medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Good points all around Kyle. One thing I think is the precept dl has a 32mm fork. I wonder if the precept sizing is on the large size like the process. I better ride before I decide as I'm 5'8 so maybe a small Kona will fit me better than a medium.
    THe review that I read noted that the Precept was shorter than the Process and recommended up-sizing. A medium Precept may work very well for you.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    THe review that I read noted that the Precept was shorter than the Process and recommended up-sizing. A medium Precept may work very well for you.
    Right on I plan on throwing a leg over one next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I started this thread last year and ended up with the Precept DL. It is a great bike for the price. Don't bother with the Precept because the DL is much more bike. It runs true to size. I'm 5'8" and it fits me perfect as a Medium.

I had a chance to demo an alloy Sight this past weekend and I felt it was a better climber than the Precept DL but it has a horst link suspension and I think a slightly shorter wheel base. Descending was similar but I was very impressed with the Sight ' s technical climbing. It felt like it just shot itself up when climbing over square edge stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I bought a medium 2015 Trance 3 at a closeout price Friday over the phone without riding it. Dealer stock was dwindling quick and prices for 2016 are climbing around 15% due mostly to our brutal dollar in Canada. I pick it up this weekend and already have Wellgo MG-1 pedals being shipped for it. As kyle242gt mentioned the spec was great for the price. Coming from my 04' Norco fluid 3 with 120mm coil suspension I should be okay for a while before the upgrade bug bites me. This unless I don't like the cockpit which will likely mean a shorter stem wider bar mod and maybe a rear thru-axle. One factor that swayed me to Giant was the large dealer network for frame warranty and long term parts compatibility as I plan to have this bike for a long time.