mtbr member

Nobby Nic 27.5x2.6 numbers

Just got a pair of Evo, TL, Pacestar, Snakeskin.
    Mounted on 23 mm internal width by 24.0 mm external height rims on a Yeti SB5c with 160 Pike fork.

Bead to bead out of the box was 161.5 mm. A bit disappointing, but they stretch.
    One tire weighed in at 770 gms, the other at 780. Claimed weight is 810.

Initially, mounted at 45 psi (the rated max), the total height rim+tire was 80.70 mm. Initial width was 57.62 mm for both tread and carcass.

After sitting overnight at 45 psi, I reduced the pressure to 16 psi to remeasure.

At 16 psi, the tire measures:
    Total height rim+tire is 83.62 mm.
    Tread width 63.17 mm (2.49")
    Carcass width 61.45 mm (2.42")

They fit inside the rear and front easily on this bike.

I expect they will stretch some more, but at this point I'd call them an honest 2.5" tire. They are bigger than a 26x2.35 Magic Mary that has had a month to stretch out and is pretty big.

The front is at 16 psi. They feel surprisingly supportive at this pressure (like an Ardent at 20 psi, about) with no indication that fold over will be an issue, even on these relatively narrow rims without the more supportive Apex sidewall.

We'll see! I just got back from 4 days in Moab....sure wish I'd had them for that.

mtbr member
    1) I appreciate your findings but 2.6 tires on a 23mm rim? Are you nuts?
    Buy an adequate 35mm wheelset and report back ASAP! (I'm eyeballing the same tires)

2) wrong forum. The 27.5 forum is just meant as a collective trash bin for all these geniuses who didn't find are more meaningful forum to post their threads that have already been discusses before.

Highly complicated, computerised navigational techniques (Mouse klicking, sometimes even scrolling) are needed to successfully navigate to the wheels and tires forum. You'll actually find some existing 2.6 threads right there but nevermind...

mtbr member
    1) I am nuts. I even once took an F-16N to 67,000 feet when the service ceiling was 50,000 feet...CRAZY! However, for years I ran 2.35 and 2.4" tires on 17 mm internals. I'm not buying in to the need to go way bigger when I'm increasing the size by a measly 0.1 or 0.2".
    2) I'll just have to live with myself for posting to the wrong forum. Use the info, or don't.

mtbr member
    mhmm I cannot decide if 2.4 on a 17mm rim is worse than 2.6 on a 23mm...

How about 2.4 on the 24mm and 2.6 on the 17mm, with that you'd have at least one good wheelset.

mtbr member
    Mhmm I can't decide if I care what you think. Oh, wait....
    What are you, the 27.5 AND rim width hall monitor?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Yeah I dont understand what these go as big as you can just because you can people are adding to the koolaid theyre drinking.
    The only reason to go over 30mm internal width rims is to run legit plus size tires, 2.8 or bigger, specifically made for wide rims.
    Even the companies themselves have said that these new offerings at 2.5, 2.6 are not specifically plus tires or made specifically to fit plus tire rims.
    I have 2.5 wide trail Maxxis on Arch MK3 rims, 26mm width and they run just as good or better on this set up than on my WTB i29 rims.
    No discernible advantage of having very wide rims unless actually running giant plus size tires. Anything around 25mm width seems to be the sweet spot, even wheel and tire manufacturers who test all this shit before actually spending the money to make the products agree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Which Sb5? The 2017 or the older version?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Oh yeah and props MSU Alum, for railing that F-16 and pushing it to the limit. Sick dude!

Ride Everything
    I have the 29er version mounted on an Arc Plus 45 rim and will post the measurements if that doesn't cause the thread to implode.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Since 2.6 is between plus and plain size, I'd think this could go in either this or the plus forum. Mounted on narrow rims, they are probably more appropriate here. I'd probably go with a 30mm internal myself, but I'm due for a wheel rebuild anyway, so it wouldn't be a hardship for me to get wider rims. I think a NN 2.6 would be fantastic on the front of my 5010! So thanks for posting, MSU Alum! (which MSU are you alum'd from? I alum'd from the one in Michigan, class of 1984. And I know "alum'd" ain't proper usage- I'm using it for fun. Same for "ain't.")
    Last edited by SteveF; 04-13-2017 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    I've been curious about the 2.6 NN's. I'm running a 2.35 Hans Dampf and it measures out to 2.4 at ~18psi on a 29mm IW rim. Wondering if there is enough of a difference to switch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi Does anyone have a total wheel tire height with these mounted on ~30ID rim. I am trying look at bottom bracket drop, Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Since 2.6 is between plus and plain size, I'd think this could go in either this or the plus forum. Mounted on narrow rims, they are probably more appropriate here. I'd probably go with a 30mm internal myself, but I'm due for a wheel rebuild anyway, so it wouldn't be a hardship for me to get wider rims. I think a NN 2.6 would be fantastic on the front of my 5010! So thanks for posting, MSU Alum! (which MSU are you alum'd from? I alum'd from the one in Michigan, class of 1984. And I know "alum'd" ain't proper usage- I'm using it for fun. Same for "ain't.")
    Montana, for me.
    BTW, I'm currently running mine on 35 mm id Ibis 742's.
    My wife's Rocket Rons are on the Ibis 735 at 29mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lucythefin View Post
    Yeah I dont understand what these go as big as you can just because you can people are adding to the koolaid theyre drinking.
    The only reason to go over 30mm internal width rims is to run legit plus size tires, 2.8 or bigger, specifically made for wide rims.
    Even the companies themselves have said that these new offerings at 2.5, 2.6 are not specifically plus tires or made specifically to fit plus tire rims.
    I have 2.5 wide trail Maxxis on Arch MK3 rims, 26mm width and they run just as good or better on this set up than on my WTB i29 rims.
    No discernible advantage of having very wide rims unless actually running giant plus size tires. Anything around 25mm width seems to be the sweet spot, even wheel and tire manufacturers who test all this shit before actually spending the money to make the products agree.
    IDK about the Nobby Nic's, but Maxxis Wide Trail tires are specifically recommended for 30-36 ID rims. The NN's would be fine from 26-30, and prob pretty good at around 23. I wouldn't put ANYTHING on a 36IW rim except for 2.8-3.0, and the mentioned Maxxis Wide Trails that are from 2.4-2.6 IIRC.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Montana, for me.
    BTW, I'm currently running mine on 35 mm id Ibis 742's.
    My wife's Rocket Rons are on the Ibis 735 at 29mm.
    Montana, nice! I cycled through years ago on a ride across the U.S. and it's a beautiful state.

I'd love to know how your tires measure on the 35 and 29mm rims if you have a chance to measure the width/height...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Montana, nice! I cycled through years ago on a ride across the U.S. and it's a beautiful state.

I'd love to know how your tires measure on the 35 and 29mm rims if you have a chance to measure the width/height...
    The measurements, Rocket Rons SS, TL, Pacestar at 20 psi.
    Width: 2.59" on both
    Height of exposed tire: 2.48 on the 735 (29) and 2.35 on the 742 (35)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    IDK about the Nobby Nic's, but Maxxis Wide Trail tires are specifically recommended for 30-36 ID rims. The NN's would be fine from 26-30, and prob pretty good at around 23. I wouldn't put ANYTHING on a 36IW rim except for 2.8-3.0, and the mentioned Maxxis Wide Trails that are from 2.4-2.6 IIRC.
    Maxxis site: "WT tires are optimized for a 35 mm inner width rim", but are proven to work with a range of 30-35mm.
    The 2.6" worked just fine on 23mm rims, but on 29 and 35mm rims you can run low pressures if you want and the cornering knobs engage just a little faster on wider rims. This is all picking fly shit out of pepper. The differences are very small except in the ability to run low pressure due to the increase in sidewall support. It wouldn't surprise me though, if manufacturers followed Maxxis and started designing treads for 35mm rims, at least from a marketing standpoint. I will say, since I've gone to the 35mm rim, 2.6" tires and low pressure, I've managed 7 PR's this summer, on 40-60 minute climbs I've tracked for 15+ years, (and I'm now 65) so I'm sold.
    But the range of tire and rim combo's that would work for different people is pretty big....just don't be prejudiced against trying them.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-13-2017 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamogal View Post
    Hi Does anyone have a total wheel tire height with these mounted on ~30ID rim. I am trying look at bottom bracket drop, Thanks
    From memory they were around 712mm or so - closer to a normal 27.5 tyre than 29er.

mtbr member
    you put 2.6s on a 24mm id rim and a super low 16psi?

hope you have health insurance..

mtbr member
    I tested new NoNis 2.60 Addix on Rolf Prima Rage XR rims (25.5mm internal) and they were virtually spot on at 2.35 at 25 psi.

mtbr member
    That is kind of bizarre actually the 2.35 measures 2.4 on a 25mm rim. At least it will measure that after a couple weeks. They always are a bit narrow when you first mount

Land of the 230+
    I already have a proper plus bike with NN 2.8's on i45 nexties. I love the plus tires so much I have completely neglected my hardtail. I'd like to breathe some new life into the HT, so I ordered up a set of the 2.6 NNs with apex sidewalls. My only problem is that the wheelset on the bike has 23mm ID rims. I do understand Ill have to run some higher than optimal pressures to keep the tires from rolling of the rims, especially at my weight.

I'm just wondering how the 2.6s on i23 performed compared to the 2.35 magic marys (or ardents) that were on there before? Was it a clear upgrade in traction and suppleness? Was it a tradeoff in cornering because of the rounder profile? I'm coming from ardents that absolutely blow in sandy/hardpack conditions around here.

mtbr member
    I run Nobby Nic 2.6 on 30mm and 35mm rims and wouldn't go any narrower than 30mm, in fact the 30mm rim already looks a bit too narrow whereas the 35mm rim looks a tad too wide - 33mm would be perfect IMO

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Let me see if I understand this. The beef here with the tire is that itís really 1/10th of an inch small when seated on rims that are 10-15 mm narrower than recommended. This is literally the dumbest post of all time.

The White Jeff W
    Mounted a pair of 2.6 NN of Flow Mk3 rims (30mm int). When first mounted they were under 2.5 at riding pressure (20 psi). After a couple months they've grown to a little over 2.5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...