mtbr member
    May 2017

New Trail/AM/Enduro bike decisions: Would appreciate input!

I will be buying a new bike this coming spring and while I know changes will happen likely with the bikes I have my eyes on I wanted some input regardless.

Im 6ft, 210lbs ride weight. Current bike is a 215 Scott Genius LT 710. I have noticed that the SLX brakes struggle with my weight on shuttle days. I also want a frame that can run 2.5 rear tires and am interested in wider rims as well.

My riding encompasses trail riding, epics, shuttling for light-DH/Enduro riding and even some dirtjumping. I am leaning towards another enduro bike.

So far the bikes I have been considering are:
    Yeti SB6:
    I would go for one of the lower two models and likely throw on some I9 Enduro 305 or Grade 300 wheels, swap the brakes for Saints or Code RSC's and throw on an MRP AM bash guard.

YT Industries Capra Pro Race:
    The only concern for me with this bike is that it isnt boost this year, maybe the 2018 model will be? I would like boost for the stiffer/stronger wheels.

SC Nomad XO1 Reserve:
    Def going to be about 2-3k more but I have been thinking that having the frame and reserve wheels with lifetime warranty would indeed make that extra cost worth it. Maybe? The question is does it climb?

SC Bronson X01 Reserve:
    Apparently an incredibly capable bike that is in the Trail/AM/Enduro area. I just have read a review or two that critiqued its descending prowess which I assume is due to a slightly less slack geo.

My questions for YOU are as follows:
    1) What are your thoughts on the bikes I have listed
    2) What things would you change with any of the bikes I have listed?
    3) What other bikes would you suggest looking at in this price range? (5k-8kUSD or 7k-10k CDN)

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    My only advice would be that the SB6 is getting long in the tooth and I expect then to update it next year. I'm surprised they didn't do it with the 2018 models but all they did was tweak the accent colors from what I gave seen. That being said, you should be able to get a screaming deal on one thru Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist as Winter tools around. Last year, they ended up at 40% off before they were all gone.

There are a TON of great bikes out there that I'm sure you would be immensely happy with. There's probably several you won't even consider that would be perfect bikes as well. Good luck and have fun.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    So...with 203 / 180 rotors, braking should be pretty strong. If you want a lot more power, you'll have to go with a more downhill oriented brake (I love my Zee's).

I demo'd the 2017 capra (base Carbon), but ended up on a Commencal. Both are very capable bikes. The Commencal was boost...and actually available. Very happy with that decision. My only real advice is try and demo whatever you can find. If you have to upgrade brakes, that's pretty easy to do.
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    My only advice would be that the SB6 is getting long in the tooth and I expect then to update it next year. I'm surprised they didn't do it with the 2018 models but all they did was tweak the accent colors from what I gave seen. That being said, you should be able to get a screaming deal on one thru Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist as Winter tools around. Last year, they ended up at 40% off before they were all gone.

There are a TON of great bikes out there that I'm sure you would be immensely happy with. There's probably several you won't even consider that would be perfect bikes as well. Good luck and have fun.
    Yeah I was hoping they would for the coming year though really what do you feel that the SB6 is missing? Its already boost right?

I live in a very northern location in canada and while the riding is great the LBS only has bikes up to the 2500cdn range so I will be traveling south and buying a bike in the spring then taking it for a week or so of rides around Banff/Canmore before getting them to look it over then bringing it back north with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Nate View Post
    So...with 203 / 180 rotors, braking should be pretty strong. If you want a lot more power, you'll have to go with a more downhill oriented brake (I love my Zee's).

I demo'd the 2017 capra (base Carbon), but ended up on a Commencal. Both are very capable bikes. The Commencal was boost...and actually available. Very happy with that decision. My only real advice is try and demo whatever you can find. If you have to upgrade brakes, that's pretty easy to do.
    Im already running 200/180 on my scott genius LT and on shuttle runs and dh trails they get way too hot so I def will be getting Saint or Codes on my next bike. Maybe Mag MG7s as ive looked at those too.

Yeah I am hoping that the 2018 capra goes boost as then I would likely go for it.

As you see above I live too far away to demo many bikes

mtbr member
    sb6 needs to move some of the wb length from the chainstay to reach! honestly sb6 geo is getting a little dated given what we are all seeing from other bikes! would like a steeper SA, longer reach by 15 or so mm, shorter chainstay keeping the wb about the same, internal routing guide, right now you have your cables dangling inside the frame which is a shame when you pay $3500 for the frame!

Another options to consider is HTLT with reserve wheels that you mentioned, the LT to me is the best trail/enduro bike sc has to offer! also the new hd4 looks sweet! and that xx1/saint build with carbon wheels is so nice, but will cost you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruetters View Post
    Yeah I was hoping they would for the coming year though really what do you feel that the SB6 is missing? Its already boost right?

I live in a very northern location in canada and while the riding is great the LBS only has bikes up to the 2500cdn range so I will be traveling south and buying a bike in the spring then taking it for a week or so of rides around Banff/Canmore before getting them to look it over then bringing it back north with me.

As you see above I live too far away to demo many bikes
    Its not that's I'm "anti" SB6 as I love the Switch Infinity suspension. I think the SB5 I had was maybe my best bike ever as far as fun factor. For whatever reason, the SB6 doesn't have that same fun feel to me. I rode the SB6 and the new Pivot 5.5 back to back and the Pivot was better in every way...at least for me at 5-8 (172 cm) on size medium bikes. I demo'd the original SB6 as well but ended up buying a Pivot Mach 6 which I loved but killed it last month (my fault). I would have happily bought another Mach 6 but it's also due for an upgrade (rumors it may be a 170/160 29er next time) and every Pivot employee and shop guy I talk to says to go 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010