Thread: New SC Tallboy

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Hope New SC Tallboy

I'm the new owner of a 2018 SC Tallboy 27.5+ in Rust (orange). It's being built as we speak and now I'm looking at ordering pedals ahead of its arrival. I'm most comfortable on flats, but know that clipless are the way to go for pedaling efficiency and overall control of the bike. While I figure that out, I'm looking at the Race Face Chester pedals for weight and price reasons. Wondering if the orange ones will match my bike... Any suggestions welcome, as well as tips to which parts would be most low-hanging-fruit for upgrades/weight reduction on the R-spec Tallboy.

Can't wait to start shredding some brown pow!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have (Yellow) Chesters of my 2017 Yellow TB3. They work fine, but there are weight weanie options like Xpedo Spry's that would save another 80g. You can go still lighter with clipless, but it's really a matter of what you prefer. If you like flats, ride flats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Chesterís are great. $50 and done, I did just get red for $40 during an eBay 20% off.

mtbr member
    Check out Kona Wah Wah 2s. Same price as Chesters but better IMO

Yooper
    Feb 2015
    I don't think those orange pedals are going to be the same orange. I have an orange Hei Hei, and I have the blue Chester pedals on it. Looks good.
    Congrats on the new bike!

mtbr member
    ive had the DMR V6s for like 2 years, love em. light, grippy, comfy, tough, n cheap ($19)

DMR V6 Flat Pedal | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've used the chesters and while they work well, I would recommend the one up composites as they are the same price and are a better pedal imo

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The orange Chesterís are more of a bright orange, than a rust orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just put the Chester orange platforms on my 2017 Tallboy. It's matte gray/cement with orange accents. They sort of match the orange color splash but the Chesters are a bit brighter. Looking at the 2018 orange, it looks great but I don't think I would put orange pedals on an orange bike. But at the end, color doesn't matter. Put the green ones on there it might be cool.

Now for clipless or flats for me it depends on where and how you are riding. I put platforms on the Tallboy for trails. I have SPD's on my XC hardtail. If it turns out I like the Tallboy for all XC I'll just slap the SPD's back on there and call it good.